DavDR

Oct 14, 2020
My point IS that he's an average guy.
And my point is that he is not. I lived in Europe in my late twenties, my friends and I would have laughed at someone like Ian. I was born in one of the most economically depressed parts of the US and someone like Ian here would be as much despised.

If Ian is an average guy in Europe today, then that is pathetic.

• Angry
Reactions: bonerland and vsd29
Nov 15, 2020
He's a loser. 27 years old and still an intern that relies on his families allowance to live.

We see in the game that he's supposed to have this potential to be a writer, but what kind of writer is he going to be? He has no real life experience, nothing that he's lived himself that he can base his writing on. I've read writers like this, and it's just junk. Based upon what they can derive from other writers or Wikipedia articles.

Ian is presented to us as the male protagonist, the other side of the coin to the female protagonist Lena. And yet Ian isn't even a patch on Lena, she's out of his league.
The publishing industry is filled with a lot of qualified people fighting for the few positions available — and I suspect that is at least as true for USA as for Europe. Internships are probably more or less the only route available to get the attractive jobs. That a lot of creative industries are based on poorly paid internships in several countries, hardly makes Ian a loser, that’s just a thing employers can get away with when there’s enough people willing to do whatever it takes to be hired.

The guy’s also almost finished writing a book, which is bound to become a success if you’ve made the right choices, and a big literary magazine wants him to write for them. If anything he’s ahead of schedule to succeed in his professional life. It’s true that things are looking slightly bleaker for him at the start of the game, but that’s the whole premise of the story: Both Ian and Lena are at a low in their lives, and they’re not sure where to go from there. That’s what we’re choosing for them in the game.

Writing Ian as a guy with everything working out for him from the start would’ve made the story significantly less interesting. Therefore you can also make the choices that ends in him losing his job and becoming a delivery guy who sits at home in the evenings, jerking off to videos of his best friend fucking girls he’s attracted to himself. That’s his loser route, but that only happens if you choose it for him.

And the idea that books from writers with limited life experience always are junk, is just plain stupid. As a writer you need to know your topic, but your topic doesn’t have to be derived from years of years of dramatical life experiences, at least not if you’re writing historical fiction or sci-fi, like Ian can do.

CoalPhelps

Aug 19, 2018
The publishing industry is filled with a lot of qualified people fighting for the few positions available — and I suspect that is at least as true for USA as for Europe. Internships are probably more or less the only route available to get the attractive jobs. That a lot of creative industries are based on poorly paid internships in several countries, hardly makes Ian a loser, that’s just a thing employers can get away with when there’s enough people willing to do whatever it takes to be hired.

The guy’s also almost finished writing a book, which is bound to become a success if you’ve made the right choices, and a big literary magazine wants him to write for them. If anything he’s ahead of schedule to succeed in his professional life. It’s true that things are looking slightly bleaker for him at the start of the game, but that’s the whole premise of the story: Both Ian and Lena are at a low in their lives, and they’re not sure where to go from there. That’s what we’re choosing for them in the game.

Writing Ian as a guy with everything working out for him from the start would’ve made the story significantly less interesting. Therefore you can also make the choices that ends in him losing his job and becoming a delivery guy who sits at home in the evenings, jerking off to videos of his best friend fucking girls he’s attracted to himself. That’s his loser route, but that only happens if you choose it for him.

And the idea that books from writers with limited life experience always are junk, is just plain stupid. As a writer you need to know your topic, but your topic doesn’t have to be derived from years of years of dramatical life experiences, at least not if you’re writing historical fiction or sci-fi, like Ian can do.
Now I even envy that I could not express it the same way.

DavDR

Oct 14, 2020

Yeah, I don't think we share the same taste in literature.

As to Ian, yes writing is a hard field to get into. You have to do the grunt work necessary to get yourself to a place where you can get noticed. But why does the character have to be a useless leach who sits around feeling sorry for himself? Compare him to Lena. She's struggling too. When she couldn't afford the cost she dropped out of college no matter how hard it was to abandon her dreams. She works two jobs and all the modeling gigs she can get. And she sends money home to her parents.

The contrast between the characters couldn't be more stark.

• Angry
Reactions: vsd29 and neutral1

lipe2410

Forum Fanatic
Dec 23, 2018
But why does the character have to be a useless leach who sits around feeling sorry for himself?
Maybe because the way you play with him?
I know for sure that my Ian is far from feel sorry for himself or be useless. He has a pretty clear vison of what he want from his life e from his work field and he is commited to that vision. And this because i pick the choices that make he be this way (and this include drop the financial help from his parents).

CoalPhelps

Aug 19, 2018

As to Ian, yes writing is a hard field to get into. You have to do the grunt work necessary to get yourself to a place where you can get noticed. But why does the character have to be a useless leach who sits around feeling sorry for himself? Compare him to Lena. She's struggling too. When she couldn't afford the cost she dropped out of college no matter how hard it was to abandon her dreams. She works two jobs and all the modeling gigs she can get. And she sends money home to her parents.

The difference is that for Lena it is a necessity because of a difficult family situation, and not a desire to go to work early. Of course, this is partly her decision, but generated by circumstances, and not a purely conscious choice.

Nov 15, 2020

Lena’s parents are sick and don’t make enough money to get by themselves, and definitely not enough to send her money. So she dropped out of college to earn money to survive herself and help them out. Ian’s parents don’t have similar problems, and from what he told in the latest chapter, it sounds like his father is pretty well off and having a successfull career (surprise appearance as an acquaintance of Seymour in the future, maybe?) so there’s no reason for Ian to do the same. It’s not really comparable, and we don’t know whether Ian would have done the same in that situation. Lena also has a good relationship to her stepfather, who is the one who originally needed help, so that’s a part of the equation too. And while Ian can ask for more money from his dad, Lena can also stop sending money to her parents, so that choice is pretty symmetrical within their different context.

It’s also true that Lena’s got two jobs, while Ian’s only got one, but his job is likely to be more hours. And with Ian having the book writing and the MMA as side projects, and Lena having the modelling and the music career, I don’t agree that Ian’s life is particularly more relaxing. So I still don’t see what would make Ian a "useless leach".

And the complaining? I don’t see that big a difference between them there either. They handle it a bit differently, that’s true, but compared to other characters like Alison, Wade, Cindy and Louise, I don’t think Ian stands out in any way.

Homemade

Oct 25, 2018
Lena’s parents are sick and don’t make enough money to get by themselves, and definitely not enough to send her money. So she dropped out of college to earn money to survive herself and help them out. Ian’s parents don’t have similar problems, and from what he told in the latest chapter, it sounds like his father is pretty well off and having a successfull career (surprise appearance as an acquaintance of Seymour in the future, maybe?) so there’s no reason for Ian to do the same. It’s not really comparable, and we don’t know whether Ian would have done the same in that situation. Lena also has a good relationship to her stepfather, who is the one who originally needed help, so that’s a part of the equation too. And while Ian can ask for more money from his dad, Lena can also stop sending money to her parents, so that choice is pretty symmetrical within their different context.

It’s also true that Lena’s got two jobs, while Ian’s only got one, but his job is likely to be more hours. And with Ian having the book writing and the MMA as side projects, and Lena having the modelling and the music career, I don’t agree that Ian’s life is particularly more relaxing. So I still don’t see what would make Ian a "useless leach".

And the complaining? I don’t see that big a difference between them there either. They handle it a bit differently, that’s true, but compared to other characters like Alison, Wade, Cindy and Louise, I don’t think Ian stands out in any way.
Bro. my reaction has reached timelimit for today. But for what you have written in your post take this (y)(y)(y)(y)(y):love:

CoalPhelps

Aug 19, 2018

Excellent analysis. As far as I remember, one guy got into the Eva team thanks to such detailed comments.

lordrango

Aug 29, 2018
And my point is that he is not. I lived in Europe in my late twenties, my friends and I would have laughed at someone like Ian. I was born in one of the most economically depressed parts of the US and someone like Ian here would be as much despised.

And I've lived in the US in my late twenties. And I was born in one of the most economically depressed parts of Europe. That doesn't really mean a thing and it doesn't make your arguments any more convincing.

You personally dislike Ian as a character, because you dislike those traits in real life. That's perfectly fine, it's your choice. To say he is a loser, though, is objectively wrong, most of all because that's up to the player in the game.

He's not in the best of places at game start, and neither is Lena, but they're both quite young and in a position to make strides. It is your choice as player which path he takes. You can make him a loser, just like you can make Lena slut/whore who doesn't care for anyone (including her parents) but herself.

JohnnySolo

Nov 2, 2021

I don’t know where you have lived in Europe and how old you are. I’m from Europe and I live in Europe. I can assure that there are a lot of people like Ian, how are still searching and insure what they want to achieve in there live even if they are in their late twenties. This doesn’t make them losers.

At least Ian tries to follow his passion. I prefer people with passion, even if they fall sometime or are struggling to reach their goals, to people which are dead inside and only work their job because of the money that they get.

CoalPhelps

Aug 19, 2018
I don’t know where you have lived in Europe and how old you are. I’m from Europe and I live in Europe. I can assure that there are a lot of people like Ian, how are still searching and insure what they want to achieve in there live even if they are in their late twenties. This doesn’t make them losers.

At least Ian tries to follow his passion. I prefer people with passion, even if they fall sometime or are struggling to reach their goals, to people which are dead inside and only work their job because of the money that they get.
Exactly, and I'm talking about the same. What is the point in constant work if the only thing you do besides work is beer with friends. While striving for a dream and facing obstacles, you grow as a person and as a creator.

Dec 6, 2019
Yeah also Ian needs to fucks his own mother, his sister, and his mother's and sister's hot friend, and his hot high school teacher too. And obviously he needs to have that 3D Bazooka Dick™ and the game should be renamed to something like Our Milfy G-String: Alpha Male of The House Saga. Because you know, otherwise how can it be a harem game with a unique story and gameplay?
Great minds think alike brother. Hoorah, let's make evakiss change the title to that this week by via a petition we all sign. Incest for all, we at f95 demand it woman, or man of mysterious origin... ee772edacfc236371fee254b06346c95.jpg

4.60 star(s) 318 Votes