BlandChili

Dec 15, 2020
yes but it won't be that different from GGGB, like a grown up Ashley or something with different drama but Eva writing a male protagonist plus two protagonists makes it more unique, more choices with more and different story events.
Sure, and so far ORS has been doing okay with switching between them. That doesn't mean it would be "just like GGGB" without Ian's perspective. Like you say, the drama is different and the character has different experiences.

Reactions: Lillen B.

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
I also feel like it's... Unnecessary? I thought Wade was an alright supporting character as the friend that had life "figured out" as such, but who had lost the spark of excitement about living.
We already had Perry for the useless stuck-at-home unemployed dude, it seems bleak for Ian's social circle to give Wade such a similar role.
Yeah, "unnecessary" is definitely the right word for it.

Wade, as a character, already seems to have garnered a certain level of like or hate among the players.

The unemployment angle is probably not going to make anyone switch sides, nor does it make him more nuanced than before.

I fully agree about Perry already playing the role too.

---

(Just in case this gets misinterpreted, let me clarify this isn't to take away anything from Evakiss. I really think she's one of the best in the business. But,)

As we get to see more and more of ORS, I'm starting to get the feeling that Evakiss really prefers writing more "clear & obvious" character types over "subtle & mulit-dimensional" ones :unsure:

Cabot

Jun 20, 2017
I didn't mean "being unemployed" by itself makes him a bum. But when you mix that along with his lack of drive or interest towards life - that's what makes his character seem lazy.
... Or clinically depressed, that was a possibility hinted before and ¿maybe? reinforced now.

Now, if we have some new scenes in the future, where he is actually trying for jobs, even if he is not making it, that would keep him interesting too. (I haven't played the final version yet, so forgive me if it's already there)
The retcon doesn't limit itself to that first scene yes, as far as I've seen several dialogues were changed (there are still some continuity errors where it's said he is employed), and there are some mentions to him looking out for jobs, not too energically tough... In fact there's also some new dialogue of Ian with Cindy -just before they met Axel for the first time- where he asks her if Wade can be depressed, which she denies (she can be wrong ofc).

I don't know... I don't know if he's a good guy under a depression or just a lazy bum, too soon to know for sure I guess. But I think I get you, and I would say that even being depressed that would make the character more ¿pitiful? (and then probably a harder choice to cuck him) but not necessarily more sympathetic. It doesn't throw by itself a good light on him.

But I don't think that means he's a less interesting character, just a different one, imho.

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
Or clinically depressed, that was a possibility hinted before and ¿maybe? reinforced now.
Yeah, that is definitely another interesting direction one can take his character in.

(However, if I can be honest) after seeing what has happened to some of the characters so far, I really don't see ORS tackling these kind of "less trodden" paths.

The retcon doesn't limit itself to that first scene yes, as far as I've seen several dialogues were changed (there are still some continuity errors where it's said he is employed), and there are some mentions to him looking out for jobs, not too energically tough...
Glad to hear that, he's not a completely lost cause for me then.

But I don't think that means he's a less interesting character, just a different one, imho.
Of course, I completely understand how something that doesn't work for me, might actually be very interesting for a lot of others :)

(Which is why I really admire Evakiss' work, she really makes sure there's something for everyone)

Reactions: Cabot

Tulrek

Oct 25, 2020
Ok, I played the game on the release 0.7Beta.
I played multiple paths until I reach the "To be continued" window.
Now I launch the V0.7 Final and load my paths and I have no new scene.
Only the last images of the V0.7 Beta.

What am I doing wrong ?

BlandChili

Dec 15, 2020
Ok, I played the game on the release 0.7Beta.
I played multiple paths until I reach the "To be continued" window.
Now I launch the V0.7 Final and load my paths and I have no new scene.
Only the last images of the V0.7 Beta.

What am I doing wrong ?
You assumed something wrong perhaps? No one ever said that the chapter was going to be extended.
Some sex scenes have had additions. "New scene" refers to something specific, you can find the answer to what that is a page or two back.

Alleycat_2017

Sep 1, 2017
Started this from scratch, right off the bat in Ch 1 immediately after the prologue:

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
Exception: Switch could not choose a displayable.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "chapter_1.rpyc", line 77, in script
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 678, in execute
    renpy.exports.say(who, what, interact=self.interact, *args, **kwargs)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1229, in say
    who(what, *args, **kwargs)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\character.py", line 1031, in __call__
    self.do_display(who, what, cb_args=self.cb_args, **display_args)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\character.py", line 823, in do_display
    **display_args)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\character.py", line 572, in display_say
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='say', type=type, roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\ui.py", line 289, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2672, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3158, in interact_core
    self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2075, in draw_screen
    renpy.config.screen_height,
  File "render.pyx", line 487, in renpy.display.render.render_screen
  File "render.pyx", line 235, in renpy.display.render.render
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 722, in render
    surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
  File "render.pyx", line 147, in renpy.display.render.render
  File "accelerator.pyx", line 110, in renpy.display.accelerator.transform_render
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\image.py", line 500, in render
    return wrap_render(self.target, width, height, st, at)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\image.py", line 306, in wrap_render
    rend = render(child, w, h, st, at)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 336, in render
    surf = render(self.child, width, height, st, at)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1265, in render
    self.update(st, at)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1252, in update
    child, redraw = self.function(st, at, *self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1323, in condition_switch_show
    return condition_switch_pick(switch), None
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1319, in condition_switch_pick
    raise Exception("Switch could not choose a displayable.")

Ren'Py 7.1.3.1092
Our Red String v0.7
Sun Mar 07 19:53:55 2021

Reactions: DNS01W and 3mat33

Cabot

Jun 20, 2017
Yeah, that is definitely another interesting direction one can take his character in.

(However, if I can be honest) after seeing what has happened to some of the characters so far, I really don't see ORS tackling these kind of "less trodden" paths.
Well, Eva has touched -not too deeply, of course, this is what it is- some "dark" themes before in GGGB: depression (Ash's father), bullying (Eva) and even suicide (both of them potentially). So, you never know what ORS will bring us...

Reactions: Arisushi

scor099

Aug 6, 2018
Well, Eva has touched -not too deeply, of course, this is what it is- some "dark" themes before in GGGB: depression (Ash's father), bullying (Eva) and even suicide (both of them potentially). So, you never know what ORS will bring us...
Bullying Eva was the worst path I really hated it and couldn't continue on it so I started over, I finished every path on GGGB except for Eva's bullying path.

Big Zeta

Sep 3, 2018
;)

I think that will be when the time skip happens. Both Ian and Lena will have to commit to a relationship and the skip will bring us ~1 year into that relationship. Ian would be with Lena, Holly, Alison or Cindy and Lena would be with Ian, Robert, Louise or Axel. Then we see where this relationship moved to, depending on the other MCs choice. Like Lena/Robert cheating with Ian if he isn't with Holly, or Ian/Holly hanging out regularliy together with Lena, if she is not with Axel.
As for poly relationships I think people are overly exited about it. It's coming from Holly who is so much into Ian while most of her interactions are actually with Lena. She is the only character having such a deep relationship with both MCs and each of the 3 likes the other 2. So a thruple is an obvious end point to them. But I am not so sure EvaKiss will go into fully poly relationships. They sure sounf complicated. It might just be a 2+1 scenario (like Ian cheating on Holly with Lena and then getting Holly to agree to a threesome. You know, like Axel did to Lena :devilish:)
Well, my Ian really disliked Lena and no matter how hard the narrative pushed him towards her, I always averted him, at any cost.

Big Zeta

Sep 3, 2018
Bullying Eva was the worst path I really hated it and couldn't continue on it so I started over, I finished every path on GGGB except for Eva's bullying path.
Who was bullying Eva in GGGB?

BlandChili

Dec 15, 2020
I knew from the guides that Eva could end that way, but I wasn't aware it was through bullying. Kinda glad I never even stumbled upon that.

Big Zeta

Sep 3, 2018
Then you are not playing this right. She already made advances to both parties

I mean Am I the only one that already had Holly Kiss Lena? because everyone is talking about how her language hints that she is bi and I'm here like "She made out with Lena and had sex with Ian of course she's BI and playing both at the same time"

The only 'right' way to play is the one I like. I like her to stay as conservative and shy as in the beginning. Malleable personality is not at all realistic or convincing. Sure, ppl change. But not as rapidly. To each their own, fine, but for me such a shift would be cringeworthy. Also, did I mention I expect her to be virgin the first time (if ever in my playthrough) she does get laid with with Ian..

Big Zeta

Sep 3, 2018
Big Zeta

Malleable? I'll suspect she's quite the closet deviant, sure she may look like the Girl next door. But we barely know her. Like I've said before she's in-experienced but doesn't mind being Kissed by Lena or Ivy, and all though Insecure with the pole dancing, you can Encourage her. This still needs to Develop ofc.

Dont under estimate Introverted Perverted People they exist, some look Cute and innocent but give them the chance and they might cross a line you wont.
Her being brought to pole dancing was an epic cringe IMO. She does not belong there. Not in a lifetime. Even Lena doesn't. That was total BS, I spoke against it when it was rolled out.

Big Zeta

Sep 3, 2018
I knew from the guides that Eva could end that way, but I wasn't aware it was through bullying. Kinda glad I never even stumbled upon that.
Well, in a choice game you don't end up somewhere unless you head in that direction, does one?

MaxCarna

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2017
Started this from scratch, right off the bat in Ch 1 immediately after the prologue:

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "chapter_1.rpyc", line 77, in script
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 678, in execute
    renpy.exports.say(who, what, interact=self.interact, *args, **kwargs)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1229, in say
    who(what, *args, **kwargs)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\character.py", line 1031, in __call__
    self.do_display(who, what, cb_args=self.cb_args, **display_args)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\character.py", line 823, in do_display
    **display_args)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\character.py", line 572, in display_say
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='say', type=type, roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\ui.py", line 289, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2672, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3158, in interact_core
    self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2075, in draw_screen
    renpy.config.screen_height,
  File "render.pyx", line 487, in renpy.display.render.render_screen
  File "accelerator.pyx", line 110, in renpy.display.accelerator.transform_render
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\image.py", line 500, in render
    return wrap_render(self.target, width, height, st, at)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\image.py", line 306, in wrap_render
    rend = render(child, w, h, st, at)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1265, in render
    self.update(st, at)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1252, in update
    child, redraw = self.function(st, at, *self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1323, in condition_switch_show
    return condition_switch_pick(switch), None
  File "I:\OurRedString-v0.7-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1319, in condition_switch_pick
    raise Exception("Switch could not choose a displayable.")

Ren'Py 7.1.3.1092
Our Red String v0.7
Sun Mar 07 19:53:55 2021
I am getting this error, don't matter what I choose before

Reactions: DNS01W

locoaceto

Nov 1, 2019
I'm now curious that who is now at the top of the hitlist for the next update.....cause cindy and holly were the most requested for scenes before this one.

4.60 star(s) 318 Votes