VN Ren'Py Onhold Overpowered [Ep. 12] [YoshiGames]

4.40 star(s) 19 Votes

Makkun

Aug 26, 2019
I play as if the MC were me (this is what is known as immersion, and it tends to work very well in games increasing the involvement of the player), in any case I don't have too many problems with the name. You may see it as Ren's story, but I prefer to put myself in Ren's shoes and see as if his story is really happening to me, it is much more interesting and makes the feelings about the game more intense. Immersion tends to make players more passionate and allows for more enjoyment of games by making wins and losses their own. It's certainly clearer in role-playing games (I'm not talking only about computer games, these are more limited), where, with their limitations, you can be whoever you want and carve out your own story with your friends. A PC RPG is more limited, but it also generally allows a certain amount of freedom for the character to be a bit the way the player wants him to be.

Personally, I never play these kinds of games more than once. They may be designed to play them more than once, but I don't do it. I'm only going to play one route, and if I can't see everything that interests me on that route, then I'll try to find another that does.
So dude, good for you who have fun immersing yourself in story. There are games that players can immerse themselves in, but many visual novels aren't necessarily meant for that, they're generally meant to be interactive books where the player chooses the character's fate.

But I didn't come to tell you how you should play, you play how you want. I just wanted to make my point.

However, I noticed that people only make this request to change the character's name when the game has a male protagonist, because when it's a game with a female protagonist, no one asks to add the ability to change her name and if they ask, it's a minority too small.

Anyway, if it's about immersion, instead of just asking them to add ability to choose the protagonist's name, why not ask to add ability to pick the protagonist's gender as well?

It is just a reflection here that I would like to leave for everyone.

Although I personally don't feel the need to add name choice or anything like that, as Ren is clearly a character, just note that the choices are displayed in third person.

Again, I just wanted to prove my point and not dictate how others should play, you are still free to play how you want and want to immerse yourself in the games.

Last edited:

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
So dude, good for you who have fun immersing yourself in story. There are games that players can immerse themselves in, but many visual novels aren't necessarily meant for that, they're generally meant to be interactive books where the player chooses the character's fate.

But I didn't come to tell you how you should play, you play how you want. I just wanted to make my point.

However, I noticed that people only make this request to change the character's name when the game has a male protagonist, because when it's a game with a female protagonist, no one asks to add the ability to change her name and if they ask, it's a minority too small.

Anyway, if it's about immersion, instead of just asking them to add ability to choose the protagonist's name, why not ask to add ability to pick the protagonist's gender as well?

It is just a reflection here that I would like to leave for everyone.

Although I personally don't feel the need to add name choice or anything like that, as Ren is clearly a character, just note that the choices are displayed in third person.

Again, I just wanted to prove my point and not dictate how others should play, you are still free to play how you want and want to immerse yourself in the games.
I may be very weird, but I never play using my name; I don't need it to "feel" the immersion. I never change the original name of the MC (and if I necessarily have to choose, I put the one that I feel like at the time, a while ago I used Steve, now I was using Alan, but I have already gotten bored and I will surely look for another). In fact, even the gender or race of the MC doesn't matter to me to get the immersion.

For the rest, my problem with the game is that in this kind of game I never see more than one ending, I don't like it. So having to choose between two LIs doesn't appeal to me and I'm not considering doing it: I like to choose individually if I like a LI or not, discard her if I'm not interested or continue with her if I like her. But choosing between two (or more) LIs that I like makes me out. I'm not saying Yooshi has to change this, I'm just saying I'm not interested in playing the game.

Reactions: Makkun

Makkun

Aug 26, 2019
I may be very weird, but I never play using my name; I don't need it to "feel" the immersion. I never change the original name of the MC (and if I necessarily have to choose, I put the one that I feel like at the time, a while ago I used Steve, now I was using Alan, but I have already gotten bored and I will surely look for another). In fact, even the gender or race of the MC doesn't matter to me to get the immersion.

For the rest, my problem with the game is that in this kind of game I never see more than one ending, I don't like it. So having to choose between two LIs doesn't appeal to me and I'm not considering doing it: I like to choose individually if I like a LI or not, discard her if I'm not interested or continue with her if I like her. But choosing between two (or more) LIs that I like makes me out. I'm not saying Yooshi has to change this, I'm just saying I'm not interested in playing the game.
Then it's fine! I'm glad you think so. ;)

Each one has its own way of playing, so there's no problem. It only becomes a problem if people demand to put features that don't match the game.

Reactions: BlasKyau

masterdragonson

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2018
You can play it with emulator or use a unofficial android release. I stopped releasing android versions due to an error I keep getting all the time which no one can fix.
What was the error? I remember another dev wasn't able to compile and they fixed it by purging the "rapt" folder and letting Ren'Py rebuild it again.

Probably should give the little note about the importance of backing up the encryption keys before doing that.

nepheele

Mar 30, 2018
I finally tried to play this new version of the game (I don't remember the old one anymore) and I still like the story.
The characters are always interesting and i like how the story around MC is developing.
If I have to make a note, I like more the secondary characters than the main ones.
The sad thing was the choice between the two teachers in the beginning, it's sad to have to choose only one of them, but obviously I choose Naomi's path.
Probably for the story despite her being annoying at first and later a stalker, Shera's character is not bad.
To give examples of who I like more:
Chizuru > Kaoru
Naomi (her daughter is too funny) > Noriko
Lila or Akane > Shera
Yuumi > Kana
Takase > Ichika
Surely the character of Hino is the most appreciable and the enemies are not bad (I hope we can kill Satomi in the future)
I did not mind the part of the story with Kyoko even if I want to see if it will be possible later do something with her fake friend as well, hiruka I think, cause she isn't a bad character.
I didn't mind the part with Kashiwagi either, especially at her house :ROFLMAO:
Well, the story is always interesting, but I still like more the secondary characters than the main ones, and I hope there are a lot of developments with them too.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Yooshi

Kenshi2k

Aug 13, 2019
ep 10 has been out for a month now right? according to patron ep 10 was released on sept 9th. and the free version is released a month after. so i wonder where it is?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: masterdragonson

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Game Compressor
Donor
Apr 2, 2019
Overpowered [Ep. 10] [YoshiGames] – Compressed

Win/Linux Ep. 10 · · · (259.7 MiB :: 2.06 GiB)
Mac Ep. 10 · · · (225.5 MiB :: 2.03 GiB)
This compression is unofficial, reduces asset quality, and may or may not break your game.

Caveat emptor.

leloil

Mar 30, 2021
I'm playing this game since Ep. 4 and I still don't see the most thematic tag in the game
"Mystery" tag

Last edited:
4.40 star(s) 19 Votes