VN Ren'Py Onhold Overpowered [Ep. 12] [YoshiGames]

4.40 star(s) 19 Votes

LazyKeks

Jan 16, 2018
As I only see one ending, I don't like to choose one LI and have the path of another closed: I like to have the opportunity to choose whether or not I want each LI separately.

Otherwise, I like the art, LIs and the story sounds good. But I don't think I'm interested in trying it.
Well, it's much easier for me.
You can't change your name here. - immersion
And I did not receive answers to my other questions, so I assume that the answers to them are negative.
I don’t know how good the story is, but I’m already used to the graphics from Koikatsu (from there).
Therefore, in a simple comparison, there are more minuses than pluses.

But yes, I don't really like the idea of playing the game 2 or more times to watch all the content. (yes I'm a lazy asshole :ROFLMAO:)

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
Well, it's much easier for me.
You can't change your name here. - immersion
And I did not receive answers to my other questions, so I assume that the answers to them are negative.
I don’t know how good the story is, but I’m already used to the graphics from Koikatsu (from there).
Therefore, in a simple comparison, there are more minuses than pluses.

But yes, I don't really like the idea of playing the game 2 or more times to watch all the content. (yes I'm a lazy asshole :ROFLMAO:)
I have no problem not renaming the MC, in fact I usually use the name that the Dev puts (with some curious results, like having an MC called MC, or player)

It's not that I don't like the idea of playing the game twice, it's that I'm not going to do it. I never do, and I'm not going to change my way of playing for this game or another. In the same way that the developer doesn't have to adapt the story to what I like.

Out of pure curiosity, is 1.8GB really that much? I mean, you can download the game and just test it out.
The truth is that it isn't a question of the size of the game. It's the game system. If I have to choose between two LIs and the game warns me that this is what is going to happen, then quite possibly I will not go beyond that point (unless I don't like one of the two LIs, something that happens occasionally or when she has a fetish that I don't like). If the chooses are "secret" that is, doing certain things closes LIs without warning, then I have no intention of trying the game.

Sobek

Aug 12, 2018
I see that he abandoned this game before but now decided to "make" it again.
Screenshots look interesting, so let's hope it doesn't receive the same treatment.
they probably gave up after hearing comments like yours.

Yooshi

Mega-Chonker
Game Developer
Dec 11, 2017
I have no problem not renaming the MC, in fact I usually use the name that the Dev puts (with some curious results, like having an MC called MC, or player)

It's not that I don't like the idea of playing the game twice, it's that I'm not going to do it. I never do, and I'm not going to change my way of playing for this game or another. In the same way that the developer doesn't have to adapt the story to what I like.

The truth is that it isn't a question of the size of the game. It's the game system. If I have to choose between two LIs and the game warns me that this is what is going to happen, then quite possibly I will not go beyond that point (unless I don't like one of the two LIs, something that happens occasionally or when she has a fetish that I don't like). If the chooses are "secret" that is, doing certain things closes LIs without warning, then I have no intention of trying the game.
Even Ash couldn't catch them all, man. :ROFLMAO:

I get that you don't like it and completely understand it. Personally, I like the "secret" choices you mentioned, it's cool to find out what gonna happen in the game without getting a warning for every choice. It ruins the fun for me when the game tells directly what will happen depends on my choices. It's like in real life - you don't have a guide that tells you what will happen after every decision you make.

And I perfectly understand that some people may like it and some may not. Everyone has their own opinion. Fortunately, F95 has a large collection of games and everyone can find a game that will suit their taste.

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
I get that you don't like it and completely understand it. Personally, I like the "secret" choices you mentioned, it's cool to find out what gonna happen in the game without getting a warning for every choice. It ruins the fun for me when the game tells directly what will happen depends on my choices. It's like in real life - you don't have a guide that tells you what will happen after every decision you make.
Personally, the only thing I look like in real life when playing a game is that once I have reached an end I never repeat.

But, being a game, I want to get the ending that I like the most: I play for fun, and, for example, reaching a bad ending tends to annoy me a lot (I only see one ending, which implies that getting a bad ending isn't pleasant). I much prefer to know in advance if my choices are going in the direction I want or not.

In the same way, since I only play once, if I have the obligation to choose between several LIs, I usually abandon the game: I prefer to go to another that allows me to choose individually if I want them or not. It may be unrealistic, but there are games with magic, dragons, fairies, etc. and there is no such thing in reality either. For this reason, never repeating a game, the "secret" choices annoy me even more: when a game has this kind of situation, I don't even start it.

In any case, thanks for the game and I wish you luck. But, you will understand that I have no intention of downloading or testing it. Even if the story sounds very good to me and I like the LIs.

Reactions: Yooshi

Makkun

Aug 26, 2019
I honestly don't understand what the problem with these people is, so what if you can't change the MC's name? He's Ren, actually calling him MC by itself is weird, because his name is Ren and he has his own story, he's not me, he's a character that we're just controlling and directing what he does. Just note that all choices are viewed in third person. There are a lot of successful games where protagonists have fixed names because the players understand that they are characters and not an avatar made for players to insert themselves into.

And about not being able to see all the routes in one play, I think it's even normal, it's a visual novel after all and visual novels are made to be replayed!

By the way, I liked this game and how it presents us with the story and characters very well written! I confess that I liked the Beach Episode! (Episode 7)

But I have a question, why none of the girls went to compliment Ren's swimsuit? After all, it would be great to know the girls' opinion about his suimsuit the same way he gave his opinion about their suimsuit! :sneaky:

PS: My favorites girls so far are Noriko and Shera! :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

masterdragonson

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2018
I honestly don't understand what the problem with these people is, so what if you can't change the MC's name?
It's one of those small flick of the wrist features that isn't hard to implement and offers more immersion. Especially for H-Scenes were the player might want to see the girl calling out their name instead of another guys :LOL:

Here's an example that took a few minutes to whip up.

screens.rpy
Added an Option to change Ren's default name.

changenames.rpy
Put the code that actually handles that here.

script.rpy
Did a quick search & replace changing most instances of "Ren" to "[r]"

For the stuttering bit had to do a little string manipulation
"R-ren" to "[r.name[0]]-[r.name!l]"
Ren'Py doesn't seem to like displaying the Character Name if there is string manipulation but seems to work fine with character.name so retrieve the 1st character and show the name in lowercase.

Ran "Check Script (Lint)" to see if that caused problems. Besides a lot of tags not being properly closed (not caused by changing the name :p) it was no worse for wear.

Alternatively one could use a simpler search & replace script to filter this without changing script.rpy
Python:
### OverPoweredR
### Filter Main Character Name

init python:

#  The callback.
    import re
    def smtf( text ):
        #text = text.replace("Ren", "[r]")
        #text = text.replace("R-ren", "[player_name[0]]-[player_name!l]")
        text = re.sub(r"\bRen\b","[r]",text)
        text = re.sub(r"\bR-ren\b","[player_name[0]]-[player_name!l]",text)
        return text

#  Tell Ren'py to use our function as callback.
    config.say_menu_text_filter = smtf

Last edited:

Makkun

Aug 26, 2019
It's one of those small flick of the wrist features that isn't hard to implement and offers more immersion. Especially for H-Scenes were the player might want to see the girl calling out their name instead of another guys :LOL:

Here's an example that took a few minutes to whip up.

screens.rpy
Added an Option to change Ren's default name.

changenames.rpy
Put the code that actually handles that here.

script.rpy
Did a quick search & replace changing most instances of "Ren" to "[r]"

For the stuttering bit had to do a little string manipulation
"R-ren" to "[r.name[0]]-[r.name!l]"
Ren'Py doesn't seem to like displaying the Character Name if there is string manipulation but seems to work fine with character.name so retrieve the 1st character and show the name in lowercase.

Ran "Check Script (Lint)" to see if that caused problems. Besides a lot of tags not being properly closed (not caused by changing the name :p) it was no worse for wear.

Alternatively one could use a simpler search & replace script to filter this without changing script.rpy
Python:
### OverPoweredR
### Filter Main Character Name

init python:

#  The callback.
    import re
    def smtf( text ):
        #text = text.replace("Ren", "[r]")
        #text = text.replace("R-ren", "[player_name[0]]-[player_name!l]")
        text = re.sub(r"\bRen\b","[r]",text)
        text = re.sub(r"\bR-ren\b","[player_name[0]]-[player_name!l]",text)
        return text

#  Tell Ren'py to use our function as callback.
    config.say_menu_text_filter = smtf
But the story is not about us, understand that. You literally missed an important point in my comment, this game is clearly not about "immersion" but rather to enjoy a good story along with the spicy scenes.

People have to stop wanting to get self insert in the game all the time, and not to mention that you seem to have a very fragile masculinity to the point of being outraged that a fictional character doesn't call your name.

A piece of advice: Pretend that you reincarnated in the game and that you are now called Ren, simple as that. After all, one way or another, you're controlling Ren's actions.

masterdragonson

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2018
A piece of advice: Pretend that you reincarnated in the game and that you are now called Ren, simple as that. After all, one way or another, you're controlling Ren's actions.
It's a game, it's meant to be fun.
If some people have more fun not using the default name then so what?
If you have more fun using the default name then good for you.

In any event there's now a patch for that

AlexaSky

Jun 26, 2021
Public release: 13.08.2021
Unless someone wants to throw in $5 which given that they are under $100 per month it's not very likely.

Some teaser text would be nice as reading a partially blurred release date wasn't fun

sonhot

Apr 29, 2017
Pretty good male protagonist, the type that would make harem somewhat believable. If this was one of those Japanese rom-com manga/anime then the protagonist would be most definitely similar to that Tooru loser. Make me cringe just thinking about it :sick:.

Last edited:

TRAEBOSS321

Oct 18, 2020
Ok this is a problem I have with these types of games that split each "Episodes" into many separate builds so I don't know if this build contains episode 1 or if it only contains episode 8. If its only episode 8 can someone Tell where I can find episode 1.

Yooshi

Mega-Chonker
Game Developer
Dec 11, 2017
Ok this is a problem I have with these types of games that split each "Episodes" into many separate builds so I don't know if this build contains episode 1 or if it only contains episode 8. If its only episode 8 can someone Tell where I can find episode 1.
It contains all episodes ;)

Reactions: Osamabeenfappin

taler

Oct 5, 2017
Even Ash couldn't catch them all, man. :ROFLMAO:

And I perfectly understand that some people may like it and some may not. Everyone has their own opinion. Fortunately, F95 has a large collection of games and everyone can find a game that will suit their taste.
You can satisfy both demographics with an optional walkthrough mod.

Joshua3883

Feb 19, 2018
I think it's more of a thing that the way the mc talks about refusing to go along with his dumb ideas, but then you aren't given an option to at all is what makes him not liked. His ides inevitably get you into worse positions but you are forced to go along with it anyways. Maybe option in the future to ignore him and instead go hang out with one of the girls that would make it better, maybe is causes tooru to realize that if he keeps being an idiot, his "best friend" won't hang out with him. We've all had friends like that, but we also were able to tell them no and walk off when they were being dumb.
Yes please give us the option to ignore him, I'm really enjoying the story but he's kind of ruining it for me.

4.40 star(s) 19 Votes