Patreon new policies

astonwave

May 18, 2018
It's not even the credit card companies that are demanding this, it's Patreon high ups themselves. They seem to be on some moralistic high horse about explicit material.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Yes but you haven't exactly earned a million from Patreon and nobody is going to hunt you down for quitting.
A Patreon creator owe you nothing, he even don't have the obligation, other than moral, to provide something in exchange for the money you give him. It's nothing more than the pure tacit agreement of patronage ; "I give you money because I think you deserve it, pretty please you can perhaps continue doing what you're doing."
Hunting him down, or trying to sue him, would be just plain stupid. He was offering a intangible service, that he had absolutely no obligation to provide in the first place, dot. If you tried to argue that you were giving him money, and so expected something in exchange, you would only make a fool of yourself ; because you already had something in exchange of the money you gave him in the past. And, obviously, if you were to try arguing that, since you gave him money in the past, he have to continue until you decide that it's enough, you would just make a bigger fool of yourself.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
A Patreon creator owe you nothing,
That doesn't mean emotions go away, or that people are particularly rational.
And Creators have to handle those people.
For every person that is a reasonable understanding person there are 10 that think they own you for even a buck.
And reasonable people tend to not throw that much money around.
since you gave him money in the past,
It's not my problem and I don't particularly care, like you I know perfectly well that Patreon and other Crowdfunding are just throwing money into the fire, a glorified donation system.
Its basically a salary for doing what they are doing.

bulliedhealer

Feb 4, 2021
Let's be clear, there's absolutely nothing new here. The video you showed talk about this made by Redamz. A post in which we can read, among other things :
"They've requested me to make changes to the game (stupid things like making ara and faranne not adoptive sisters if they are to share a scene), which if you all know me, you will know I'll never do."

Therefore:
  1. A game author was voluntarily not following rules that Patreon put in place years ago ;
  2. Some guy on youtube saw this and made a video saying that Patreon is becoming worth ;
  3. You found the video and shared it because you think that Patreon is now becoming evil.

So, yes, there's absolutely nothing new. Patreon haven't changed its politic since the introduction of their ban, in late 2017. Three and half years that incest, none consensual sex, bestiality and p*d*shit are banned and, while they never gone back, they also never gone further.
But there's still, and will still be, idiots that complain, time to time, because they have been caught, and will blame Patreon for their own stupidity.
Most of my experiences with adult VN's were not crowdfunded, but I did pick up some crowd-funded games that had or allowed incest content and I remember there being some drama over it, but I mostly didn't care where they came from or how they were supported as long as they had content I enjoyed. I do remember there being a stink around patreon censoring and banning people if they didn't censor at some point, just didn't realize it had happened quite so long ago. So thank you for the history lesson, makes me a bit less upset at them.

Though the wound from when I found out they no longer supported pre-paid cards is still fresh and painful!

Laikhent

May 16, 2018
... like you I know perfectly well that Patreon and other Crowdfunding are just throwing money into the fire, a glorified donation system.
Its basically a salary for doing what they are doing.
Money is a very powerful motivator. If you played a good amount of games, you probably played some that only exists because of crowd-funding systems. So, definetively not the same as throwing money on the fire.