• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Abandoned Pie In The Sky [v0.5.0 Ruby Edition] [Emmerald Entertainment]

4.50 star(s) 15 Votes

thevoid089

Forum Fanatic
Jan 29, 2020
Just finish the demo, I must say this is a good game with lot of potential....I really love Kissa and Tammara and can't wait for more scenes and moment with them in the future updates
1 thing I want to ask: What or where to find the password for the gallery? It say I need to finish the demo but I don't see any of that, I'm I doing wrong or was the gallery still not in the demo Skypie22 ?
Ps: Somehow I look at Tammara and thought she kinda have a similar look to Catherine Zeta Zones

Emmerald Entertainment

Game Developer
Aug 1, 2020
Just finish the demo, I must say this is a good game with lot of potential....I really love Kissa and Tammara and can't wait for more scenes and moment with them in the future updates
1 thing I want to ask: What or where to find the password for the gallery? It say I need to finish the demo but I don't see any of that, I'm I doing wrong or was the gallery still not in the demo Skypie22 ?
Ps: Somehow I look at Tammara and thought she kinda have a similar look to Catherine Zeta Zones
I thought the password was put in the final message, like, I'm pretty sure. But just in case:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Emmerald Entertainment

Game Developer
Aug 1, 2020
When i open the game it shows this message on Notepad :/

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

After loading the script.
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xe3 in position 9: invalid continuation byte

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 326, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "renpy/main.py", line 452, in main
game.persistent = renpy.persistent.init()
File "renpy/persistent.py", line 223, in init
filename = os.path.join(renpy.config.savedir, "persistent.new")
File "/home/tom/ab/nightly-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/ntpath.py", line 85, in join
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xe3 in position 9: invalid continuation byte
Wow, I really have no idea :/

Nov 24, 2018
I enjoyed playing it. I can see that already a lot of work and thought was put into this. Your artworks are beautiful and it's obvious that you've already been good artists before starting this game.

My advice: Maybe get a coder on board or really dig into it, since some of the scene triggers and some scene customization (eg. clothing layers) seem to be a bit off. But it's the first version, so I don't worry about that stuff.

I'm looking forward to see more.

Apr 24, 2020
My advice: Maybe get a coder on board or really dig into it, since some of the scene triggers and some scene customization (eg. clothing layers) seem to be a bit off. But it's the first version, so I don't worry about that stuff.
I second this advice, although not to allow for better customization, but rather to make things easier for yourself in the future.

A quick example would be your list of NPC's. You have the right idea, but it would be far better to use a dictionary, since you will eventually forget whom NPC[6] is, whereas NPC["Hera"] is much easier to remember. This is especially something you need to consider, since you are currently just appending things to the list, which could easily break everything if someone added an NPC to the middle of the list.

How you are using lists:
Code:
$ NPC = []
$ NPC.append(Tammara)#0
$ NPC.append(Kissa)#1

$ NPC[1].isActive = False
How dictionaries can be used:
Code:
python:
    NPC = {}
    NPC["Tammara"] = Tammara
    NPC["Kissa"] = Kissa

NPC["Kissa"].isActive = False

Emmerald Entertainment

Game Developer
Aug 1, 2020
I second this advice, although not to allow for better customization, but rather to make things easier for yourself in the future.

A quick example would be your list of NPC's. You have the right idea, but it would be far better to use a dictionary, since you will eventually forget whom NPC[6] is, whereas NPC["Hera"] is much easier to remember. This is especially something you need to consider, since you are currently just appending things to the list, which could easily break everything if someone added an NPC to the middle of the list.

How you are using lists:
Code:
$ NPC = []
$ NPC.append(Tammara)#0
$ NPC.append(Kissa)#1

$ NPC[1].isActive = False
How dictionaries can be used:
Code:
python:
    NPC = {}
    NPC["Tammara"] = Tammara
    NPC["Kissa"] = Kissa

NPC["Kissa"].isActive = False
Thank you! That really is helpful. We are planning on getting help from someone who would revise and overall perfect the code. But we first need money to pay him ehehe. In the next update, which is coming by the end of the month, there will be optimizations! :)

Apr 24, 2020
That's good to hear.

From what I can see you have the right mindset and ideas when it comes to coding your game, you just seem to lack the experience. There's some impressive stuff in there, but also plenty of things that will come back to bite you a year into the project.

Thankfully everything seems fairly easy to improve.

tsunamisung

Apr 24, 2019
First off great demo, love the art style.
The characters are fun, the locations are pretty and there is the beginning of a story

Some things to improve
Daddy shark lost part of his name ;)
You can make Tammara appear out of nowhere if you try to go into the backroom while she isn't in the room at all
Some basic typo's certainly not terrible but a native speaker could be a boon.

There are some logic issues that I noticed, and the way you structure your code is probably the reason these sneak in
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

These are just the ones I remember running into, keep up the good work

PS if you want someone to look at your code I'm a retired programmer with a bunch of time on my hands and no need for immediate income ;)

tsunamisung

Apr 24, 2019
Skypie22 , I could not start the game. Unpack, double click on PITS.exe and nothing. Here is the log file
I had a look at your log file, it's nearly a week old and identical to the one packaged with the game I don't think the log file is going to be of use.

I think either your download or unpack had an issue, or there is an error in how this game logs (though I doubt the devs made their own changes to the generic renpy logging)

primerib1

Jul 8, 2020
Wow, I really have no idea :/
Well, I code quite a lot of Python, and the "UnicodeDecodeError" is something I encountered quite frequently back in the days of Python2-to-Python3 conversion...

It seems that the user's home directory contains punctuated characters (e.g., 0xE3 is " ã ") and RenPy did not properly convert ANSI characters to Unicode. Seeing that RenPy is still based on Python 2.7 (with Unicode horseshoed in), I suspect this is the matter. (Python2's Unicode handling is the reason why I quickly stopped developing anything with Python2, and migrated to Python3 completely when Python 3.6 came out.)

You'd better raise this issue with RenPy developers, but after getting some details from jomhfer123, especially the full name of his/her home directory.

Kianu Rivz

Sep 8, 2020
I had a look at your log file, it's nearly a week old and identical to the one packaged with the game I don't think the log file is going to be of use.

I think either your download or unpack had an issue, or there is an error in how this game logs (though I doubt the devs made their own changes to the generic renpy logging)
The log was created 2 minutes before the post published. I downloaded the game from Mega. Ok, I will try to redownload it from other source.

UPD: Actually, seems like the log file was not created at all. I deleted the old one but after launch attempt no any file appeared. I downloaded another archive from NoPy, but the same outcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zatrian

Kianu Rivz

Sep 8, 2020
There is a timestamp on the first line of the log you posted that reads
Fri Sep 11 18:01:44 2020
Actually, seems like the log file was not created at all. I deleted the old one but after launch attempt no any file appeared. I downloaded another archive from NoPy, but the same outcome.

4.50 star(s) 15 Votes