Tutorial Others Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
There's one more problem to it, how to remove the shadows? It is flickering.
I don't know which shadows or flickering you mean...
I forgot that if I minimize the game it gives me black screen, how to fix this?
Don't forget to install corefonts via winetricks
Code:
winetricks corefonts
also deactivate window decoration and window control in winecfg tab Graphics
Code:
winecfg
Also, why My Hunting Adventure game opens, but blackscreen? I can hear the song, but it is blackscreen.
There is a way to play this game natively on Linux, but I haven't look into it yet.. Capacitor wrote a nice post about it on OP about it. However, the game runs via Wine as soon as you delete file libGLESv2.dll from the game's directory.

Have fun.

Venomosity

Aug 2, 2018
I don't know which shadows or flickering you mean...

Don't forget to install corefonts via winetricks
Code:
winetricks corefonts
also deactivate window decoration and window control in winecfg tab Graphics
Code:
winecfg
There is a way to play this game natively on Linux, but I haven't look into it yet.. Capacitor wrote a nice post about it on OP about it. However, the game runs via Wine as soon as you delete file libGLESv2.dll from the game's directory.

Have fun.

OMG!! It worked you're a hero thanks!!

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
I just added a script to overwrite the Windows version of NW.js with the Linux version. It's a minor variation of a script I created for Glassix, and seems to work well, but consider it still in beta.

Reactions: cold_arctus

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hi again, why when playing Milftoon Drama I can't minimize?
Ok, I did some digging and saw that Milftoon Drama is using the Visionaire Engine, which offers a native Linux Launcher.

Here is the Linux Launcher (already prepared for Milftoon).

Extract all files into the game directory (use "clean" file to remove all useless windows libraries).

Saves are stored in $Home/.local/share. However, if you wish to change the location then modify the "start" file to a directory of your liking. I also recommend to disable fullscreen mode and resolution to something more convenient in config.ini.

Have fun.

Note: Download link expires after few hours!

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
Some more news and updates: I just wrote a new chapter on how to install Adobe AIR games, and I'm preparing a new version of the installer for NW.js games. As of now I've implemented a few new features for those using the command line, namely:
  • Help message
  • Show version
  • Create of a .sh executable
  • Create of a .desktop executable
  • Allow beta version of NW.js, if it's the last available
  • Run a personalized patch program after the installation (.sh script with specific instructions for a game)
  • Run the game after the installation
I still have to run some tests, but it should be ready in a few days. If someone wants other features, I can try to implement them in this or in future versions of the installer.

john__cena

Oct 25, 2017
For games that require a case-insensitive filesystem, you can do it using a single file, no partitions required:

Code:
# 768 * 1M = 768 MB
dd if=/dev/zero of=fat32.disk bs=768 count=1M 
mkfs.vfat fat32.disk
sudo mkdir /mnt/fat32
sudo mount fat32.disk /mnt/fat32 -t vfat -o loop,owner,group,umask=000
Credits to

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
john__cena Well, it looks exactly like the creation of a new partition to me. :) But the idea looks good anyway, I'll try to come up with a slightly better script that can mount the FAT32 directory anywhere. Thanks a lot!
I'm also thinking of a simple way to rename every file and directory to lower case and go through every HTML, CSS and JS file to, again, convert every reference to a file to lower case. I have a clear idea of how to do that in Python, but maybe a shell script is better, if I manage to come up with something, particularly for the second part.

I updated the OP again, I split the NW.js section to separate it from TyranoBuilder games. Very similar, but usually not playable, sadly. And I updated my NW.js installer. These are the new, definitive features:
  • Help message: "./NWjs_Linux_Installer.sh -h" or "./NWjs_Linux_Installer.sh --help"
  • Show version: "./NWjs_Linux_Installer.sh -v" or "./NWjs_Linux_Installer.sh --version"
  • Create of a .sh executable: "./NWjs_Linux_Installer.sh -xs" or "./NWjs_Linux_Installer.sh --exe-sh"
  • Create of a .desktop executable: "./NWjs_Linux_Installer.sh -xd" or "./NWjs_Linux_Installer.sh --exe-dt"
  • Allow beta version of NW.js, if it's the last available: "./NWjs_Linux_Installer.sh -b" or "./NWjs_Linux_Installer.sh --beta"
  • Doesn't run the game after the installation: "./NWjs_Linux_Installer.sh -ns" or "./NWjs_Linux_Installer.sh --no-start" (I preferred this to the "--start" option, I think it's much more useful to start the game automatically at the end of the installation)
  • (These last 4 option can be used together, obviously)
  • Run a personalized patch program after the installation: Put a file named "patch.sh" in the game directory, the installer will run it after the installation is complete.
  • New security measures: The installer won't start if it can't find a "www" directory and a "package.json" file in the directory it's located. This is to avoid accidental runs in the wrong directory, since the installer permanently deletes every file and directory it can find, save for a few specific exceptions. Guess what would happen if you were to run it in your "Documents" directory? I lost a few new games because of this, luckily new ones I was testing, so I just lost a few minutes to download them again, but it gave me something to think of...
The Glassix version of the installer has almost the same updates.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Do we have a Wine expert here? :unsure:

I started to play The Twist via Wine-Staging (latest version) recently and was wondering why I couldn't use the game's MOD. Another Linux user told me that the same MOD is working for him.

Difference between us: He plays through PlayOnLinux and I use native Wine version.

So, I tested it with POL and the same wine-staging version as the native and the MOD works. The strange part is, it only works if you start game.exe through POL's virtual image and not through a starter.

MOD needs winhttp.dll to work, which isn't available in Wine-Staging. Downloading it from Winetricks doesn't help. Switching over to Wine-Stable (which has winhttp) doesn't work either.

Question: What or where is the difference between POL and native Wine? :unsure:

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
Wine can be very difficult to tinker with and very puzzling. I think the difference between POL and native Wine is that POL is optimized for gaming, it probably comes with many libraries already installed, while Wine has the bare minimum, or less.
The DLL has probably some other dependencies you can't see, so if you don't resolve them, you can't use it on Wine. If you're lucky someone already mapped the dependencies.
Sorry, but that's as far as I can help.

Reactions: cold_arctus

john__cena

Oct 25, 2017
john__cena Well, it looks exactly like the creation of a new partition to me. :) But the idea looks good anyway, I'll try to come up with a slightly better script that can mount the FAT32 directory anywhere. Thanks a lot!
I would call it a virtual partition, like a Virtualbox disk, it fits on an existing filesystem and doesn't require any actual physical partition (no entries in a disk's partition table) so the FAT32 volume can be allocated to a file inside of a ext4 partition (or any other case-sensitive filesystem) without moving or resizing any physical partitions. Basically a filesystem within a filesystem, much easier to work with.
If the parent file system is encrypted, all virtual volumes inside of it will be encrypted as well.

lefravoix

Dec 3, 2019
Hey, I'm trying to get a Unity Windows game to work natively on Linux. The name is Kara no Shoujo 2. I've found all the compatible executables, the Mono folder, the x86_64 folder etc... But when opening the game everything is pink, even though the sound works. I tated to Assembly-CSharp.dll? Is there any way I can fix this? I'll leave the game's log.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hey, I'm trying to get a Unity Windows game to work natively on Linux. The name is Kara no Shoujo 2. I've found all the compatible executables, the Mono folder, the x86_64 folder etc... But when opening the game everything is pink, even though the sound works. I tated to Assembly-CSharp.dll? Is there any way I can fix this? I'll leave the game's log.
Those Japanese games are always a bit strange or a burden. Normally a pink color indicates an outdated graphic cards, but from your log file I don't think you have an old graphic card.

Have you tried the game through Wine?

lefravoix

Dec 3, 2019
Those Japanese games are always a bit strange or a burden. Normally a pink color indicates an outdated graphic cards, but from your log file I don't think you have an old graphic card.

Have you tried the game through Wine?
It is a Japanese game, but it's translated and it's a Unity game. I think the pink problem is caused by some assets and Assembly-CSharp.dll not "optimized" (not sure here) for Linux, since they were originally for Windows. I might be wrong, though. Yes, it works through Wine but well it's a shame not getting it to run with a Linux executable. By thw way it is a Linux-native game but you can't find it anywhere (dunno about private tracker, I'm not on any of them).

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
Good news on HTML games. I finally managed to write a Python script to both rename every file to lower case and edit HTML and CSS files to match the correct paths.

The script , it should be compatible with both Python2 and Python3 (although I tested it only on Python2), and detailed instructions can be found using the -h argument.
I tested it quickly on Path to Paradise, a game previously unusable on Linux and after a quick inspection it seems that the game now shows each and every image. Further tests are required and the script must be considered as a beta version, even though it should be complete. And as always, when testing beta software, use it at your own risk and always have a backup version ready.

Happy new year!

Edit: New version uploaded, now it checks if the references to files actually exist.

Last edited:

Xorgroth

Modder
Oct 12, 2017
  • Sad
Reactions: Pigfarmer
5.00 star(s) 3 Votes