Tutorial Others Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

uberzubron

Nov 14, 2017
Hi I'm trying to locate the following in linux "C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\RenPy" to delete the 'game' folder... I'm told if i delete this folder it might help me load a save fil i'm having trouble with..

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hi I'm trying to locate the following in linux "C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\RenPy" to delete the 'game' folder... I'm told if i delete this folder it might help me load a save fil i'm having trouble with..
On Linux it is your users home directory - a hidden folder named .renpy.

Reactions: uberzubron

iamabot001

Aug 22, 2017
I want to launch games with a simple click but I can't figure out how to run a shell script with a double click. So what I did until now is - I'd just launch it from a terminal. But then the terminal would linger around until I close the game. So what I did was
Bash:
./*.sh & disown
but now there is a problem. When there is an error or the renpy engine tries to flush the log to the original console, I get an IO Error because the process has been disowned and there is no longer a terminal to display the errors to. My only question is how to launch the .sh file with a double click? I use Thunar File Manager if that matters.

Here's the traceback I get:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

tomatoewrench

Jan 8, 2019
I got all Tyrano games I could test to run natively on Linux using nwjs-0.12.3, there might be a few menu glitches but nothing too serious. The game needs to be unpacked, use tyranocut.ps1 for that. Thank you for your script, Surgy!
You need to edit the getProcessPath function, in tyrano/libs.js
JavaScript:
    $.getProcessPath = function(){
        var path = process.execPath;
        var tmp_index = 0;
        var os = "linux";
        if(path.indexOf(".app") !== -1){
            os = "mac";
            tmp_index = path.indexOf(".app");
        }else if(path.indexOf(".exe") !== -1){
            os = "win";
            tmp_index = path.indexOf(".exe");
        }
        if(os == "linux"){
            return process.cwd();
        }
        var tmp_path = path.substr(0,tmp_index);
        var path_index=0;
        if(os == "mac"){
            path_index = tmp_path.lastIndexOf("/");
        }else{
            path_index = tmp_path.lastIndexOf("\\");
        }
        var out_path = path.substr(0,path_index);
        return out_path;
    };
That makes it work on Windows and Linux, macOS should work too but I can't test that.
Upgrading to a newer nwjs version didn't work though.
I was also able to get all RPG Maker MV games to run on nwjs-0.45.6, again it needs to be unpacked, I used EnigmaVBUnpacker. If you are using an Intel GPU, run
Code:
MESA_GLSL_CACHE_DISABLE=true nw .
in the game directory, where the package.json is. Upgrading nwjs from the ancient version the game is bundled with to a modern x64 release fixes some memory leaks for me. Works with Windows too, of course. As long as you don't mess with the .js files and plugins, upgrading the bundled browser should be safe.
Setting the www/ directory case insensitive helps getting rid of all the "file not found" errors. Or simply make all files lowercase, that would work too I guess.

paddyo73

Sep 12, 2019
can someone explain what i am doing wrong here ?
i create a copy of the nwjs-v0.38.2-linux-x64( and also tried with nwjs-v0.43.6-linux-x64) into a game folder ,and from a game folder i move the package.json file and the www folder into the nwjs-v0.38.2-linux-x64 folder .opened that in the terminal and typed ./nw .
this was explained to me before and it has worked , but my problem is , when i try with a different game i get either a blank screen or a failed to load screen , i'll include a screen shot ,
is there a easy solution for this ?, as i am really pretty clueless trying to figure out what i'm doing wrong this time .:confused:

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
can someone explain what i am doing wrong here ?
i create a copy of the nwjs-v0.38.2-linux-x64( and also tried with nwjs-v0.43.6-linux-x64) into a game folder ,and from a game folder i move the package.json file and the www folder into the nwjs-v0.38.2-linux-x64 folder .opened that in the terminal and typed ./nw .
this was explained to me before and it has worked , but my problem is , when i try with a different game i get either a blank screen or a failed to load screen , i'll include a screen shot ,
is there a easy solution for this ?, as i am really pretty clueless trying to figure out what i'm doing wrong this time .:confused:
You forgot to mention that you try to play a compressed game. Linux is case sensitive, means files and code need to match. The game was made in Windows were lower/upper case not matter.

Check the file mentioned in the error message and make sure the file name is the same as shown.

Reactions: paddyo73

paddyo73

Sep 12, 2019
You forgot to mention that you try to play a compressed game. Linux is case sensitive, means files and code need to match. The game was made in Windows were lower/upper case not matter.

Check the file mentioned in the error message and make sure the file name is the same as shown.
i'm sorry i wasn't aware that a compressed game wouldn't work this way , after i unzipped it i just presumed it was uncompressed again , so i didn't think it was important to mention , so i will try again ,this time i will download an uncompressed version and try that , as im not really sure i understand about changing files and lower and upper case letters , i wouldn't know where to begin , thanks for the advice (y)

Thing99

Nov 27, 2018
Your problem is with Lida's Adventures, right?
Simply downloading the game (I downloaded the compressed version (v0.8.8)) and deleting the file libGLESv2.dll in the game's folder and then starting the game (LA EP2 GAME.exe) using WINE works for me.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Your problem is with Lida's Adventures, right?
Simply downloading the game (I downloaded the compressed version (v0.8.8)) and deleting the file libGLESv2.dll in the game's folder and then starting the game (LA EP2 GAME.exe) using WINE works for me.
Wine isn't needed. All RPG Maker MV games run natively on Linux by downloading either nw.js or the RPG Maker MV Linux Launcher.

paddyo73

Sep 12, 2019
yes that's right Lida's Adventures, so ok i downloaded an uncompressed version Episode 1, followed the steps , created nwjs-v0.43.6-linux-x64 folder in the game folder , from the game folder i move the package.json file and the www folder and also the nw.pak ( and made it executable) into the nwjs-v0.43.6-linux-x64 , opened this in a terminal , typed ./nw . and the game opens , and was seeming to run fine until i right click on options and then i get another error screen ,i have also tried deleting the libGLES files and tried ipen with a wine application , but noting happens at all with that method​

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
yes that's right Lida's Adventures, so ok i downloaded an uncompressed version Episode 1, followed the steps , created nwjs-v0.43.6-linux-x64 folder in the game folder , from the game folder i move the package.json file and the www folder and also the nw.pak ( and made it executable) into the nwjs-v0.43.6-linux-x64 , opened this in a terminal , typed ./nw . and the game opens , and was seeming to run fine until i right click on options and then i get another error screen ,i have also tried deleting the libGLES files and tried ipen with a wine application , but noting happens at all with that method​
Mate, don't get me wrong, but why do you make it so complicated?

Easy steps for RPG Maker MV Games:
1. Download RPG Maker MV Linux Launcher v1.62.
https://f95zone.to/threads/rpg-maker-mv-v1-62-linux-mac-and-windows.31352/
2. Copy the game's "www" folder into the launcher's folder.
3. Mark game and nw.js files executable.
4. Enjoy the game.

Other games which use TyranoBuilder as game engine, there you can use the nwjs-method to play them natively on Linux.

P.S. To solve your above permission issue you can use chmod. Open Terminal and type:
chmod -R a+x [drag and drop game folder and hit enter]

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
yes that's right Lida's Adventres, so ok i downloaded an uncompressed version Episode 1, followed the steps , created nwjs-v0.43.6-linux-x64 folder in the game folder , from the game folder i move the package.json file and the www folder and also the nw.pak ( and made it executable) into the nwjs-v0.43.6-linux-x64 , opened this in a terminal , typed ./nw . and the game opens , and was seeming to run fine until i right click on options and then i get another error screen ,i have also tried deleting the libGLES files and tried ipen with a wine application , but noting happens at all with that method​
Sorry mate for acting all arrogant in my previous posts. I downloaded Episode 1 of Lida's Adventure's and took a look myself. I thought it was a classic RPG Maker MV game - well, it is, but it was made with an outdated version of RPG Maker MV which didn't support Linux/Mac back then.

However, the good news is that I was able to fix the "mkdir '/save/' error message.

Solution:
Patch the old game's RPG Maker MV engine files with the newer version!

Instructions:
1. Download RPG Maker MV Linux Launcher v1.6.2
2. Download RPG Maker MV v1.6.2_NewData
(https://f95zone.to/threads/rpg-maker-mv-engine-all-versions.32358/post-2065717)
1591535455237.png
3. Copy Lida's Adventure's www folder into the the Linux launcher's folder
4. Copy nw.pak file from Lida's Adventure's game folder to the Linux launcher's folder
1591535574921.png
5. Replace the old RPG Maker MV files in www folder with the downloaded files from Step 2.
1591535680452.png
(Note: fonts.zip need to be extracted first.)
6. Mark "game" and "nw" file as executable.
7. Start the game by clicking on "game" file
8. Enjoy the game

paddyo73

Sep 12, 2019
Mate, don't get me wrong, but why do you make it so complicated?

Easy steps for RPG Maker MV Games:
1. Download RPG Maker MV Linux Launcher v1.62.
https://f95zone.to/threads/rpg-maker-mv-v1-62-linux-mac-and-windows.31352/
2. Copy the game's "www" folder into the launcher's folder.
3. Mark game and nw.js files executable.
4. Enjoy the game.

Other games which use TyranoBuilder as game engine, there you can use the nwjs-method to play them natively on Linux.

P.S. To solve your above permission issue you can use chmod. Open Terminal and type:
chmod -R a+x [drag and drop game folder and hit enter]

i appreciate you taking the time to try and explain this to me and show me an easier way , but believe me , i would love to use a less complicated method , i have also tried this method with the RPG Maker MV Linux Launcher v1.62
but it just dosnt start , i will try and explain the steps i took and would gladly appreciate any advice as to what i do wrong ,

1 first i make a folder and put both the unzipped game in and also the RPG Maker MV Linux Launcher v1.62 folder and open both ,

2 i then move the www folder from the game to the RPG Maker folder , and i’m asked to merg these , , so i do ! Maybe this is wrong ??

3 next i open proprieties of of the game desktop folder and the 2 nw present pack folders to make them excautiable also , ( i dont know where nw.js files are , so i presume that they are the nw 100 and 200 present packs ?) is this right ?

4 when i change the proprieties of the game desktop folder i get a untrusted application launcher box ,
i click trust and launch , at which point that folder changes into another type game folder ( or launcher or app or whatever its called )

5 i click this game launcher yoke , once , twice , 20 times , noting happens ?
Noting opens , noting runs at all

as for the other method like you said Open Terminal and type:
chmod -R a+x which i can do ( just about ) but i simply just don't know or can figure out how to drag and drop a folder into a terminal

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
2 i then move the www folder from the game to the RPG Maker folder , and i’m asked to merg these , , so i do ! Maybe this is wrong ??
merge is correct.
3 next i open proprieties of of the game desktop folder and the 2 nw present pack folders to make them excautiable also , ( i dont know where nw.js files are , so i presume that they are the nw 100 and 200 present packs ?) is this right ?
nw.js is the "nw" file.

paddyo73

Sep 12, 2019
Sorry mate for acting all arrogant in my previous posts. I downloaded Episode 1 of Lida's Adventure's and took a look myself. I thought it was a classic RPG Maker MV game - well, it is, but it was made with an outdated version of RPG Maker MV which didn't support Linux/Mac back then.

However, the good news is that I was able to fix the "mkdir '/save/' error message.

Solution:
Patch the old game's RPG Maker MV engine files with the newer version!

Instructions:
1. Download RPG Maker MV Linux Launcher v1.6.2
2. Download RPG Maker MV v1.6.2_NewData
(https://f95zone.to/threads/rpg-maker-mv-engine-all-versions.32358/post-2065717)
View attachment 684636
3. Copy Lida's Adventure's www folder into the the Linux launcher's folder
4. Copy nw.pak file from Lida's Adventure's game folder to the Linux launcher's folder
View attachment 684638
5. Replace the old RPG Maker MV files in www folder with the downloaded files from Step 2.
View attachment 684642
(Note: fonts.zip need to be extracted first.)
6. Mark "game" and "nw" file as executable.
7. Start the game by clicking on "game" file
8. Enjoy the game
it worked , thank you , i hadn't done your step 5 , so after i tried that ,added the new data pack thing it has worked for me , thank you again for your time an patience as i know it must be hard to try and explain each step to me as i really am a lost cause when in comes to this technical stuff , very much appreciated :)(y)

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
it worked , thank you , i hadn't done your step 5 , so after i tried that ,added the new data pack thing it has worked for me , thank you again for your time an patience as i know it must be hard to try and explain each step to me as i really am a lost cause when in comes to this technical stuff , very much appreciated :)(y)
I wouldn't have figure it out if I hadn't tried the game myself. Now we both know that it wasn't your fault but the devs.

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Quoting Madeddy's solution for Urban Voyeur:
1. DL the last game version in another OS version (Win ...)
2. Download the "runtime environment (RE)" fitting for your operating system: (Lx, mac, ...) (Don't choose a higher version as 8.x; its incompatible)
3. Unpack both archives and copy the file ".../resources/app.asar" from the game dir in the identical named dir in the Electron directory.
4. Start the game through the file named "electron" in the RE folder.
Enjoy.
Unless I'm mistaken, the game engine of Urban Voyeur is Monogatari v2, which is built on top of Electron (like RPG Maker MV - NW.js).
Saves are stored in ~/.config/GAME_NAME (e.g.: ~/.config/Urban Voyeur - Gold Version).
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 3 Votes