Tutorial Others Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
Unless I'm mistaken, the game engine of Urban Voyeur is Monogatari v2, which is built on top of Electron (like RPG Maker MV - NW.js).
Saves are stored in ~/.config/GAME_NAME (e.g.: ~/.config/Urban Voyeur - Gold Version).
No mistake. Thats correct.
Game engine is monogatari (not sure about v2 because this version still in dev state)and is build with Electron framework. Path for game profile and savegames is also correct.

Reactions: scrumbles
Nov 24, 2019
For the record, you can install gargoyle (available on Ubuntu/Debian via apt-get install gargoyle-free) to play Adrift games.

However, it will not have any images, only text. The debian page mentions a "garglk" to show images but I never personally got it to run.
It is also only a player; You cannot edit or build your own story with it.

Last edited:

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
I think you should be ale to compile the game for Linux, but I don't know the details.

I saw a Unity game available for Linux, Love of Magic, and the author, Droid Productions, is quite active on that thread. You could try and ask him how he did, and share what you learned with us, if the OP of this thread isn't of any help.

sodomyxxx

Mar 9, 2018
I think you should be ale to compile the game for Linux, but I don't know the details.

I saw a Unity game available for Linux, Love of Magic, and the author, Droid Productions, is quite active on that thread. You could try and ask him how he did, and share what you learned with us, if the OP of this thread isn't of any help.
thanks

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
In theory Unity builds out of the box for Linux; there's a couple of gotchas, though.

The first one is that if you build on PC, there's no understanding of permissions (you have the same problem on OSX). You can that by asking the user to chmod +X the files, or if you're feeling frisky you can rig up cygwin to do it automatically:

this is run automatically as part of the Steam build process on my side:

C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe /usr/bin/chmod -R +x /cygdrive/c/unity/love-of-magic/steam/ContentBuilder/content/linux_build/love_of_magic.x86_64

C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe /usr/bin/chmod +x /cygdrive/c/unity/love-of-magic/steam/ContentBuilder/content/osx_build/love_of_magic.app/Contents/MacOS/*

Secondly, I wouldn't recommend just replacing the Mono files.. in theory it could work, but Unity internally tends to do asset optimization for the specific platform, and you're better off asking the dev to do a build for Linux.

Looking at my itch.io downloads, Linux is a tiny fraction of the downloads (it goes PC > Android > OSX > Linux, with PC/Android together accounting for about 90% of the downloads). But it's also pretty painless to build, and a gesture of good-will to linux players.

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
In theory Unity builds out of the box for Linux; there's a couple of gotchas, though.

The first one is that if you build on PC, there's no understanding of permissions (you have the same problem on OSX). You can that by asking the user to chmod +X the files, or if you're feeling frisky you can rig up cygwin to do it automatically:

this is run automatically as part of the Steam build process on my side:

C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe /usr/bin/chmod -R +x /cygdrive/c/unity/love-of-magic/steam/ContentBuilder/content/linux_build/love_of_magic.x86_64

C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe /usr/bin/chmod +x /cygdrive/c/unity/love-of-magic/steam/ContentBuilder/content/osx_build/love_of_magic.app/Contents/MacOS/*

Secondly, I wouldn't recommend just replacing the Mono files.. in theory it could work, but Unity internally tends to do asset optimization for the specific platform, and you're better off asking the dev to do a build for Linux.

Looking at my itch.io downloads, Linux is a tiny fraction of the downloads (it goes PC > Android > OSX > Linux, with PC/Android together accounting for about 90% of the downloads). But it's also pretty painless to build, and a gesture of good-will to linux players.
Thanks a lot, I'll add all these information in the first post!
Adding executable rights is luckily quite easy for the end user and a common problem with games produced on Windows. Some compressed formats even erase any information about user rights (rar, I think, maybe even others).
I'm painfully aware that Linux is the platform with the smallest number of gamers, because of the old prejudice that it's impossible to play games on it. Luckily platforms like Ren'Py and Unity are helping a lot in this regard.

Just a note, I suspect that the "chmod -R +x" command is intended for the Mac version, not the Linux one. The Linux executable is a single file, while the Mac executable has a more complicated structure and may contain directories.

Reactions: Droid Productions

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Absolutely correct. I tried to place the Windows mono files into an existent Linux build (same file names etc.) and the game didn't start. For this game I was able to pin it down to a single file "globalgamemangers".

As easy as it is to build a Mac and Linux build on Windows they won't always work "out of the box". Problematic are different fonts and most often video files. Unity supports mp4/h.264 on Windows and Mac, but not on Linux. For Linux webm/VP8 is required.

Reactions: johnelros

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
I finally managed to sort-of-play Adrift games. It was the last platform marked as red, so I'm happy to announce that most of the existing platform are almost always playable and the remaining have at least a chance of working. Much more than I hoped when I started this topic almost two years ago, honestly.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I finally managed to sort-of-play Adrift games. It was the last platform marked as red, so I'm happy to announce that most of the existing platform are almost always playable and the remaining have at least a chance of working. Much more than I hoped when I started this topic almost two years ago, honestly.
Can you name a game that use Adrift?

Btw. Godot Engine is missing in your list too. (https://f95zone.to/threads/the-anomalous-dr-vibes-v0-8-0-final-drvibes.20377/)

But it is easy to port to Linux. All it requires is the Linux launch file.

Reactions: Capacitor

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
Reactions: cold_arctus

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
yes, I downloaded the launcher according to the dev's editor version.
Good, tomorrow I'll write a paragraph on the Godot engine. Thanks for reporting it!

ah shit! I didn't know the engine had his own tag. :eek::FacePalm:
I wouldn't have heard of it, or of TADS, QSP, Wolf RPG and Unreal Engine, if it weren't for that tag list. There was also WebGL, otherwise I don't know how it ended in my list. :LOL:

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes