Tutorial Others Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Hi guys, they say the NW.js bug is . Made a quick test with Groglokk and it looks good. What about you?

On a side note: playing any Unity game with Wine, CTRL+TAB to switch focus to another software, the game freezes. Do you know a workaround?

Reactions: aattss
D

Deleted member 2912657

Treasure of Nadia
-
[ARCH LINUX INSTALLATION]

Yo there,

I'm making this post cause nobody here could ever clearly explain what is necessary and sufficient in order to play Treasure of Nadia on a bare Linux install. Most of the people who have answered, wrongly saying that it works out-of-the-box simply have systems with tons of packages installed which is why they didn't have to do anything, just as I didn't have to on my previous Ubuntu 18.04 system.

But on a bare Linux install like an ArchLinux system, here is what you must do:

You will most likely encounter this issue when trying to launch the game normally by executing the nw binary (the launcher.sh and Game.desktop are just wrappers) in the game directory :

FATAL:platform_font_linux.cc(83)] Check failed: InitDefaultFont(). Could not find the default font

Install Packages :

• ffmpeg
  • nwjs-ffmpeg-codecs-bin (for Arch -> AUR) which will install nwjs-bin (AUR too) consequently
Then, launch the game this way (and not the way everybody says):

1. cd <game_dirpath>
  2. LD_PRELOAD=/opt/nwjs/libffmpeg.so /usr/bin/nw .
The environment varialbe in the last command is to enforce nw (the command /usr/bin/nw, not to be confused with the file nw in the game directory) to use the ffmpeg codecs we installed which are needed to run the game.

Hope this post can help some of you other FOSS (Fappers with Open Source Software) !!

PS:You can also get an error about libXss.so.1 missing for which you can install the package libxss, but it will normally be installed automatically as a dependency to nwjs-bin

References:
[1]https://f95zone.to/threads/playing-on-linux-tutorials-tools-and-help.19523/post-3187251 | Thanks to johnelros for leading me to the right path !
[2]
[3] | Thread about another NW.js game with a very similar problem
Do you have any tips for performance? Your solution works but the performance is worse than wine. Unfortunately current wine version on arch can't run rpgm games on my computer.

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Leaving my notes here.

So, I was trying to play a Japanese game (RJ303239 神代イツキの選挙戦 - Google Translate says the title means "Election campaign of Itsuki Kamidai").
While I usually extract any archive with no issue, this time I just got some rubbish file names. Of course I couldn't launch the game.
In fact the file names were encoded as (or maybe as its Windows extension, CP932, I am not totally sure). As far as I understand, this character encoding is not POSIX compliant: so most distros do not support it.

Found a couple of solutions on to extract the files correctly:
Code:
unar -e shift-jis RJ303239_trial.zip
Code:
unzip -O shift-jis RJ303239_trial.zip
If no character encoding is specified through the -e option, "unar" guesses it (and in this case it succeeded). So, if you ignore it, just go with unar first and omit the -e parameter.
Alternatively, you may find it via a brute-force attack (see for instance ).

(and ) there is a complete tutorial to install the Shift-JIS character encoding. I didn't needed for this game, but in the future? Who knows.

bigguy_foryou

Jun 8, 2018
I've found using 7z for all unzipping except with tarballs is the most error free when it comes to things like weird encoding.
7z x archive.[zip,rar,bla,bla]
unzip and unrar have often failed me, but 7z never has.

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
I tried, but in this case it didn't work on my machine.
7z x RJ303239_trial.zip messed up both the directory and the file names:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Same result with LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 7z x RJ303239_trial.zip

This worked though (note that LANG=ja_JP actually corresponds to the Shift-JIS character encoding).
It extracts the game in a specific folder and then it converts the filenames recursively through convmv:
Code:
LANG=ja_JP 7z x -oOUTPUT_DIRECTORY RJ303239_trial.zip
convmv -f shift_jis -t utf8 -r --notest OUTPUT_DIRECTORY
This is the result of the archive extraction alone (before fixing the file names with convmv):
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
On a side note, this worked on an ext4 partition. I tried it too on an NTFS partition mounted with the ntfs-3g drivers, but I just got a long list of errors such as:
ERROR: Can not open output file : Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character : ./�_���C�c�L�I����_����_ver1_01/www/package.json

Last edited:

leftysdivebar

Aug 19, 2016
Hello, I have read through this thread looking for an answer to my problem, but no luck. I recently purchased a raspberry pi 400 and have installed ubuntu 20.10 (whatever is the latest) I am attempting to run a renpy game. I attempted to follow the instructions in the first post, but have come to a blocker.

I set the permissions for the .sh file to run as an executable. Double click the .sh file and a text editor opens up. Under the 'open with' settings a text editor is selected. Unfortunately none of the options available seem correct. Are there additional steps when using a RaspberryPi?

Perhaps Renpy does not work in an aarch64 environment?

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hello, I have read through this thread looking for an answer to my problem, but no luck. I recently purchased a raspberry pi 400 and have installed ubuntu 20.10 (whatever is the latest) I am attempting to run a renpy game. I attempted to follow the instructions in the first post, but have come to a blocker.

I set the permissions for the .sh file to run as an executable. Double click the .sh file and a text editor opens up. Under the 'open with' settings a text editor is selected. Unfortunately none of the options available seem correct. Are there additional steps when using a RaspberryPi?

Perhaps Renpy does not work in an aarch64 environment?
You would need to recompile the game to get the ARM library. See
1610674648511.png

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Anyone know how to play RPGM games where there is no www folder? Tried playing this game:

https://f95zone.to/threads/knights-of-messiah-v7-1-doujin-circle-gyu.73492/

but it had no www folder to copy (audio, img etc folders were outside). Thought it would be as simple as creating a www file and copying the folders in it but nw.js didn't read it.
Let me take a look. Sure it was made with RPG Maker MV and not with an older version of RPG Maker like VX etc..? :unsure:

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Tried it with older versions too, couldn't even get to the menu.
As thought, the game was made with an old version of RPG Maker (VX Ace). Support for Linux was added in RPG Maker MV and therefore you can't play it natively on Linux. Possible that you can play it via Wine after installing a bunch of extra to make it work, because starting the game in Wine throws an error message at me. But I'm not interested in digging further into it. Sorry!

Reactions: AvocadoLover

AvocadoLover

Jan 11, 2018
As thought, the game was made with an old version of RPG Maker (VX Ace). Support for Linux was added in RPG Maker MV and therefore you can't play it natively on Linux. Possible that you can play it via Wine after installing a bunch of extra to make it work, because starting the game in Wine throws an error message at me. But I'm not interested in digging further into it. Sorry!
Thanks man, I should have double checked. Sorry for making you download the game.

Reactions: cold_arctus

ririmudev

Dec 15, 2018
Anyone able to view thumbnail previews for files on a secondary hard drive, for Ubuntu 20's Files (nautilus)? I remember looking into it a year or two ago, but even when setting `HOME=/mnt/hd1/home/a_username`, it doesn't try to load previews, and just uses the plain icons. I already tried the stuff in :cry:

TBH, I can reboot and switch to that OS/HDD in 30 seconds, or I can copy from one HDD to the other, or I could painstakingly go through them all and rename, but I don't want to settle for those options right now.

Images and stuff preview just fine. The files needing to be previewed are mostly .mp4 videos, needed for research purposes mostly.

Pigfarmer

May 25, 2019
Anyone able to view thumbnail previews for files on a secondary hard drive, for Ubuntu 20's Files (nautilus)? I remember looking into it a year or two ago, but even when setting `HOME=/mnt/hd1/home/a_username`, it doesn't try to load previews, and just uses the plain icons. I already tried the stuff in :cry:

TBH, I can reboot and switch to that OS/HDD in 30 seconds, or I can copy from one HDD to the other, or I could painstakingly go through them all and rename, but I don't want to settle for those options right now.

Images and stuff preview just fine. The files needing to be previewed are mostly .mp4 videos, needed for research purposes mostly.
Have you tried changing the Thumbnails settings in the Nautilus preferences window?

screenshot_6.png

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes