Tutorial Others Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

ririmudev

Dec 15, 2018
Which format does your second HDD use?
Plain old ext4; it's currently a dual-boot setup, with Ubuntu 16 on the second HDD.

More generally, if there's any recommendations for software that previews videos, outside what comes with the distro, I'd consider it.

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
For Lubuntu I installed the package ffmpegthumbnailer. But Lubuntu doesn't use Nautilus, the file explorer is different, so I don't know. :unsure:

Nov 24, 2019
Personally I use caja, which is Ubuntu Mate default file explorer. It cannot preview files over MTP but never had such issues, not even with my ext4 external HD as far as I remember.

But then, I am still on Ubuntu 18...

I remember, however, that I was able to override the default thumbnailer to add webp support... I changed the thumbnail generation command in /usr/share/thumbnailers iirc.

Anon1980

Aug 7, 2019
Can Linux (MINT in my case) run the new Renpy version? I haven´t tried it out yet. But it would probably give me tha last push to permanently switch to Linux if Renpy phases out Win7 users over the next 6-12 months.

Anon1980

Aug 7, 2019
I will take a few more years before Windows 7 won't be support by Ren'Py anymore. Just look how long Windows XP was supported - until recently.
Maybe. But, for example, I can´t run Apartement 69 on my Win 7 (64). If that happens with more and more Renpy games, it´s probably a good idea to switch. I´m not interested at all in Win10. And I don´t play AAA games on PC anyway.

Thanks for the quick reply.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I can´t run Apartement 69 on my Win 7 (64).
That's not an problem with Windows 7. Try to start the game by hold down left-or-right shift key and switch the graphic renderer.

However, switching over to Linux is always a good idea ;) :D

Anon1980

Aug 7, 2019
That's not an problem with Windows 7. Try to start the game by hold down left-or-right shift key and switch the graphic renderer.
You think? I have the same problem as this person link . Doesn´t seem to be a graphics issue, but I´m not an expert.
I´ll switch to Linux fully soonish anyway. WIth no security updates Win7 is just ticking timebomb. More or less.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
You think? I have the same problem as this person link . Doesn´t seem to be a graphics issue, but I´m not an expert.
I´ll switch to Linux fully soonish anyway. WIth no security updates Win7 is just ticking timebomb. More or less.
It's a Ren'Py issue. Developer of Ren'py is working on a fix. But yeah, switching over to Linux Mint will fix that too. :LOL:

Errende

Jun 8, 2018
I ran into something I was hoping someone could shed some light on.
I gave Yumesame (wolfrpg) a go through Wine 6.3 since the TL was finished. But even with DXVK enabled, it runs terribly. 15~ "screenFPS" 35~ "innerFPS" according to the title bar stats.
If I run it through Steam with Proton 6.3-2, it's just fine at 60 FPS on both. Just what else is Proton doing under the hood here?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Pigfarmer

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Found a solution for playing Visual Novel Maker games on Linux. It's similar to the one for RPG Maker MV, both engines are built on top on NW.js. For House of Maids, NW.js V.0.26.4 works for me: details in the spoiler.
wine-staging reg add 'HKCU\Software\Wine\X11 Driver' /v UseTakeFocus /t REG_SZ /d no
Interesting, thanks: I'll try it!
I followed cold_arctus' suggestion, launched winecfg and checked Graphics -> Emulate a virtual desktop.

Reactions: cold_arctus

Mitsuna

Jun 21, 2019
Found a solution for playing Visual Novel Maker games on Linux. It's similar to the one for RPG Maker MV, both engines are built on top on NW.js. For House of Maids, NW.js V.0.26.4 works for me: details in the spoiler.

Interesting, thanks: I'll try it!
I followed cold_arctus' suggestion, launched winecfg and checked Graphics -> Emulate a virtual desktop.
I suggest to use Debug_MV_v1.6.2_Linux I tested it with Karryn's Prison and it gives less stutter and better fps compared to nwjs. Basically I use it with every game so far and it always gives me the best experience. House_of_Maids runs fine, you simply put your game files into www folder and use it as usual. Here some info how you can use electron instead https://f95zone.to/threads/rpg-maker-mv-engine-all-versions.32358/#post-3276111 and some workaround in case you're unable to use chattr +F https://f95zone.to/threads/karryns-prison-v0-7b-p-remtairy.33777/page-368#post-4113289

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I suggest to use Debug_MV_v1.6.2_Linux I tested it with Karryn's Prison and it gives less stutter and better fps compared to nwjs. Basically I use it with every game so far and it always gives me the best experience. House_of_Maids runs fine, you simply put your game files into www folder and use it as usual. Here some info how you can use electron instead https://f95zone.to/threads/rpg-maker-mv-engine-all-versions.32358/#post-3276111 and some workaround in case you're unable to use chattr +F https://f95zone.to/threads/karryns-prison-v0-7b-p-remtairy.33777/page-368#post-4113289
Have you tried to update the pixi.js files for RPGMV Linux launcher? Check the link in my signature for that.

Mitsuna

Jun 21, 2019
Have you tried to update the pixi.js files for RPGMV Linux launcher? Check the link in my signature for that.
Yes I actually tried updating every plugin and library but there is no difference whatsoever. What helps is a single process mode, so basically I use rpgmaker mv with these opts (for nwjs you need slightly different params, also since single process doesn't work properly with current nwjs it runs painfully slow without single process): "chromium-args":"--dbus-stub --disable-crash-handler=true --disable-touch-drag-drop --password-store=basic --limit-fps=60 --child-clean-exit --enable-webgl -gl --use-gl=desktop --enable-features=\"CheckerImaging\" --ignore-gpu-blacklist --disable-gpu-sandbox --enable-gpu-driver-debug-logging --single-process --disable-presentation-api --disable-pinch --disable-sgi-video-sync --disable-gl-extensions=SGI_video_sync"

Reactions: cold_arctus
Nov 24, 2019
Capacitor Adobe Air has been discontinued/sold to HARMAN (aka. SAMSUNG).

The new link to obtain Adobe Air is:

As for Linux support:
HARMAN said:
We aim to bring in support for Linux, initially for the SDK as a platform and as a command-line version of the AIR runtime, with a goal of then incrementally adding in support for various AIR features over time.

The focus in the short term will be on ensuring that applications can meet the requirements from Google and Apple around Android App Bundle, iOS code-signing certificates, and MacOS security and M1 support.
So don't count on it happening so soon.

Reactions: fsck
D

Deleted member 3771890

Hello, I stumbled across this forum and thread whilst searching for a nwjs related problem. I'm trying to get the game Code Cross to work on Arch and using Intel Mesa gpu drivers, but I'm getting -after a few seconds of flawless gameplay- the error message: »[28197 28197 0604 032208 008206 ERROR sandbox_linux cc(376)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.«, this has to do with chromium and the problem is reported in the debian mailing list. They suggest compiling chromium with »MESA_GLSL_CACHE_DISABLE=true«, but I would really prefer not having to build nwjs and chromium from scratch. Has anybody done this already, can supply built libraries or explain how to build chromium/nwjs?

Nov 24, 2019
Hello, I stumbled across this forum and thread whilst searching for a nwjs related problem. I'm trying to get the game Code Cross to work on Arch and using Intel Mesa gpu drivers, but I'm getting -after a few seconds of flawless gameplay- the error message: »[28197 28197 0604 032208 008206 ERROR sandbox_linux cc(376)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.«, this has to do with chromium and the problem is reported in the debian mailing list. They suggest compiling chromium with »MESA_GLSL_CACHE_DISABLE=true«, but I would really prefer not having to build nwjs and chromium from scratch. Has anybody done this already, can supply built libraries or explain how to build chromium/nwjs?
Have you read their on this?

It seems to be an environment variable, so try export MESA_GLSL_CACHE_DISABLE=true before running your game. (Be careful with export, though; It is the powerful version and may have lasting side effects, if MESA_GLSL_CACHE_DISABLE=true ./nw.js work then go for it - but syntax might not be exactly this)

I also read somewhere about --disable-gpu, or opening DevTools and disabling cache from there; But I would not know. It seems to be Chromium-related, so there are dozen flags like --disable-gpu-sandbox, --disable-gpu-shader-disk-cache, --gpu-sandbox-start-early, and which may or may not work. Full documentation on using chromium flags on NWJS should be .

TL;DR It is an old bug (2013~present) with hardware acceleration not working "exactly as expected" on sandbox mode. Should be possible to bypass without recompiling stuff, but be ready to waste more than a couple hours with trial-and-error.
Issues like this one is I particularly prefer SDL over OpenGL, tbh.

Reactions: gojira667

Lies.

Jun 5, 2019
(getting tyrano games to work)

A more step-by-step walkthrough for newbies:
Thanks for writing this up! Got one game to work following your steps.

Q. "Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown."
A. As the name suggests, your system does not have enough RAM to extract this. The script uses a lot of memory and I don't think it accepts swap, either. I got this error by trying to extract a 600MB exe file with "only" 1.6 GB of free RAM.
Or maybe it hit some limit, I don't know >.> Better ask Surgy as he is the author.
I wrote a simpler version of the extraction script that doesn't load the whole exe into memory, so will work with vastly less free ram, it's posted in that same thread now.

Also using a recent nwjs seemed fine for the game I tried, though hard to tell which glitchy things were engine, game, or platform related.

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes