Tool RPGM RPG Maker MV engine (all versions)

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
Here you can find all the versions of the RPG Maker MV engine (Linux / Windows / Mac OS X)
(Linux support was introduced with version 1.4.0)
Usage:
- easily upgrade the engine of a completed or an abandonded game (e.g. versions 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 do not close when a file is missing)
- easily downgrade the engine of a game e.g. you liked the control bug (move through objects/carracters/walls) that existed up to the version 1.5.1, or liked better an older version
- easily port a game not officially supported to your favorite OS (Linux/Mac) and maybe upgrade/downgrade to a specific version
- easily identify the version of the engine of the game you downloaded, by looking at the date of the "game.exe" and compare it with those displayed here.

edit: to find the exact version of the game engine, if you want to port it in linux or mac without upgrading, open with a text editor the file "rpgcore.js" inside "www\js\" and search for the string "Utils.RPGMAKER_VERSION =" .

Instructions:
Download the version of the engine (and the NewData for that version in case you are upgrading/downgrading).
Extract both zips.
Copy/move the content of the folder "www" of the game, inside the folder "www" of the version that you downloaded.
- for the Mac versions instead of the "www" folder put the files inside the directory "Game.app\Contents\Resources\app.nw\"

Then, only if you upgraded/downgraded to a different version and only if the game misbehaves, copy the contents from the extracted "....NewData.zip" and replace the original files in the folder "www" (or "app.nw" for Mac). The only file that should not be replaced is the "index.html"(actually it should be replaced but not blindly; open both the original one of the game and the new one and compare them and add in the new one the info missing).....In some cases you'll have to replace the content of the "fonts" folder... I have it included it as zipped. I also have as zipped the basic plugins included with each version in case a game uses them.

Specific for Linux:
When naming the main folder pay attention to no leave spaces. e.g. instead of"This Game v1.x" use "This_Game_v1.x"
For the versions 1.4.x and 1.5.x open the console in the main directory and run the command
Code:
chmod +x Game
For the versions 1.6.x open the console in the main directory and run the commands
Code:
chmod +x Game.desktop
chmod +x nw
Rpgmaker MV v1.1.0 to v1.5.2

Rpgmaker MV v6.0

Rpgmaker MV v6.1 & v6.2

Rpgmaker MV Newdata (upgrade/downgrade files)

Last edited:

medassin

Apr 5, 2018
Can u guide me. If i have 1 game made by 1.6.2 (my pc cant play it), i want downgrade to lower version, ex 1.6.0 etc...then what should i do?

pasunna

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2019
Can u guide me. If i have 1 game made by 1.6.2 (my pc cant play it), i want downgrade to lower version, ex 1.6.0 etc...then what should i do?
How do you know it’s on 1.62?
And i don’t think the version is the problem to run a game

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
I included a guide in the spoiler "Instructions".
Download the version of the engine (and the NewData for that version in case you are upgrading/downgrading).
Extract both zips.
Copy/move the content of the folder "www" of the game, inside the folder "www" of the version that you downloaded.
- for the Mac versions instead of the "www" folder put the files inside the directory "Game.app\Contents\Resources\app.nw\"

Then, only if you upgraded/downgraded to a different version and only if the game misbehaves, copy the contents from the extracted "....NewData.zip" and replace the original files in the folder "www" (or "app.nw" for Mac). The only file that should not be replaced is the "index.html"(actually it should be replaced but not blindly; open both the original one of the game and the new one and compare them and add in the new one the info missing).....In some cases you'll have to replace the content of the "fonts" folder... I have it included it as zipped. I also have as zipped the basic plugins included with each version in case a game uses them.
You copy the "www" folder of the game in the earlier version.
You run the game exe and see if it works or if gives an error. If is working you are ok.

If it complaints or gives an error you should download also the NewData zip for that engine, extract its contents and replace the files with those from the newdata. If you downgrade to v1.4.x and earlier you should also replace the files in the fonts folder from the zip included. And last you may also need to disable some scripts of the game by editing the plugins.js file
Try first with the v1.5.2 and then v1.4.1

Reactions: medassin

Mitsuna

Jun 21, 2019
I don't think it works anymore
It does, you can use either this, nwjs, or electron with basically any "windows-only" rpgmaker mv game. Electron is the most smooth option in my experience, but it will store all your saves in a different way (you can find files in .config/Electron/Local Storage/leveldb/ or something like that).

• Love
Reactions: Fsfdss

Rambo1221

Jul 15, 2019
It does, you can use either this, nwjs, or electron with basically any "windows-only" rpgmaker mv game. Electron is the most smooth option in my experience, but it will store all your saves in a different way (you can find files in .config/Electron/Local Storage/leveldb/ or something like that).
How do I use electron

Mitsuna

Jun 21, 2019
How do I use electron
./electron www/index.html or something similar, change your locale for Japanese games (i.e. LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8 ./electron www/index.html)

UPD: ok I have some new info, to use current electron on Linux you can create file www/main.js something like this
JavaScript:
const {app, BrowserWindow} = require('electron')
let mainWindow;
app.commandLine.appendSwitch('--ignore-gpu-blacklist');
app.on('window-all-closed', function() {
    if (process.platform != 'darwin')
        app.quit();
});
app.on('ready', function() {
    mainWindow = new BrowserWindow({width: 816, height: 624, frame:false, webPreferences: {nodeIntegration: false,nodeIntegrationInWorker:false,contextIsolation: false}});
    mainWindow.loadURL('file://' + __dirname + '/index.html');
    mainWindow.on('closed', function() {
        mainWindow = null;
    });
});
and then you call it with LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8 ./electron www/index.js

As far as I understand it runs notably faster and apparently use ANGLE to render, but not every plugin will work (I think one example would be DKTools.js plugin). Sometimes you have HUD overlay lost or something similar, not sure how to fix that.

Now, the most important thing to play any rpgmaker game on Linux (nwjs/rpgmaker/electron) is this: you have to enable case insensitive file names i.e. chattr +F /mv/games/location ( ) or fix every file name manually (which is annoying).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Fsfdss

yggdral

Jan 29, 2019
hello, i tried to copy the game file in game.exe (i use mac) to put it in the the new rpgm engine to play it on mac. but when i right click the game.exe it says the content of the game cant be extracted. can someone help? much appreciated

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
RPG_Maker_MV_v1.6.2_Linux.zip
RPG_Maker_MV_v1.6.2_Mac_OS_X.zip
RPG_Maker_MV_v1.6.2_NewData.zip
RPG_Maker_MV_v1.6.2_Windows.zip
Debug_MV_v1.6.2_Linux.zip
Debug_MV_v1.6.2_Windows.zip
hey.. this might be dumb question, but how do I use the Debug version? The only think i see is this.
1586626692045.png

I also tried to copy the games WWW folder into debug's folder, but nothing changed. :unsure:

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
hey.. this might be dumb question, but how do I use the Debug version? The only think i see is this.
View attachment 616779

I also tried to copy the games WWW folder into debug's folder, but nothing changed. :unsure:
You take all files/folders from the www folder and place them inside the main directory including the files "index.html" and "package.json".

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
You take all files/folders from the www folder and place them inside the main directory including the files "index.html" and "package.json".
Thanks. I got the game to run, but how do I use the debug function? Are there some hidden controls? Because for now it looks like a normal game to me. :unsure: