Tutorial Others Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Has anyone managed to get https://f95zone.to/threads/vitamin-quest-butakoma-300g.866/ running with wine or proton?

When I try to run it via Proton, the application just spits out a garbled error message after creating a black window. Setting the LANG="jp_JP.utf8" environment variable did not help, atleast for me.
Take a look here:
https://f95zone.to/threads/mkxp-pla...e-on-linux-mac-and-windows.34303/post-2215951

Pigfarmer: Did you install quartz.dll via winetricks when you tried to start the game through Wine?

Last edited:

Pigfarmer

May 25, 2019
Take a look here:
https://f95zone.to/threads/mkxp-pla...e-on-linux-mac-and-windows.34303/post-2215951

Pigfarmer: Did you install quartz.dll via winetricks when you tried to start the game through Wine?
Thanks for your suggestions. I did make a little progress, but not much.

Installed the quartz.dll via winetricks but I still got the usual error
error.jpg

Then I tried that mkxp software, and got this error
mkxp.jpg

So I just copied one of the other images in Graphics/System and renamed it Window.png, but then I got this error, which seems to be mkxp shitting the bed.
AfterCopy.jpg

Going back to Proton with Quatz.dll just game the same initial error.

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
Thanks for your suggestions. I did make a little progress, but not much.

Installed the quartz.dll via winetricks but I still got the usual error
View attachment 572790

Then I tried that mkxp software, and got this error
View attachment 572791

So I just copied one of the other images in Graphics/System and renamed it Window.png, but then I got this error, which seems to be mkxp shitting the bed.
View attachment 572788

Going back to Proton with Quatz.dll just game the same initial error.
Replace the files in your data folder with those attached in the zip. I removed the sidecommand plugin that causes the error in mkxp. The only difference with the default version is that instead of the rotated commands you'll have the standard command interface during the battles.

Schattenfang

May 29, 2017
Trying to run Treasure of Nadia through Wine runs perfect until the world map or maps that are using environmental effects like clouds - then performance dips to single digits (on a beefy system). Has someone an idea what could cause this performance dip? Tested with VXDK, D9VK and pure Wine.

I was not able to get the Linux build of it to run on any system. All are failing with fontconfig errors.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Trying to run Treasure of Nadia through Wine runs perfect until the world map or maps that are using environmental effects like clouds - then performance dips to single digits (on a beefy system). Has someone an idea what could cause this performance dip? Tested with VXDK, D9VK and pure Wine.

I was not able to get the Linux build of it to run on any system. All are failing with fontconfig errors.
Why don't you use the native Linux build? o_O No need for Wine.

Simple mark Game.desktop and nw file as executable (right click - settings - permissions) and the game will start.

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018

Try . For ToN you also need of the matching version.

Schattenfang

May 29, 2017
Why don't you use the native Linux build? o_O No need for Wine.

Simple mark Game.desktop and nw file as executable (right click - settings - permissions) and the game will start.
Unfortunately the native builds are core dumping with a fontconfig error:

Fontconfig error: Cannot load config file from /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
[15715:15715:0320/234830.091182:FATAL: platform_font_linux.cc(83)] Check failed: InitDefaultFont(). Could not find the default font

Schattenfang

May 29, 2017
Try . For ToN you also need of the matching version.
NW.js plus the prebuilt ffmpeg is starting the game. Thank you! The framerate in cutscenes is sometimes unstable, but I can live with that.

johnelros Do you have an idea to fix the stutters in cutscenes? I suspect hardware accelaration is disabled.

Last edited:

ririmudev

Dec 15, 2018
Not sure if this helps anyone, but my best wineprefix that runs a lot of different games has:

Packages:
d3dx11_42
vcrun2015
vcrun2017

Default Windows:
Windows 7

64 vs 32:
64-bit

BTW, if anyone knows how to run SlaveMatrix on Linux and has a setup I can reproduce, I'd be willing to PayPal $50.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
NW.js plus the prebuilt ffmpeg is starting the game. Thank you! The framerate in cutscenes is sometimes unstable, but I can live with that.

Do you have an idea to fix the stutters in cutscenes? I suspect hardware accelaration is disabled.
ok, we need more details about your computer:
- which Linux distro do you use?
- graphic card -> which driver version?
- how much memory / RAM do you have?

Schattenfang

May 29, 2017
ok, we need more details about your computer:
- which Linux distro do you use?
- graphic card -> which driver version?
- how much memory / RAM do you have?
Fedora 31 Workstation
GTX 1080, Nvidia propritary driver 440.64 (installed via RPMfusion). Vdpau and Va extensions are installed and running - confirmed by vainfo.
16GB RAM

I don't see it being a hardware issue. The cutscenes are rendered in 15FPS, while they are 60FPS on Windows. I suspect the prebuild ffmpeg not playing nice with Nvidia. Maybe a manual build of the ffmpeg library could help.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Fedora 31 Workstation
GTX 1080, Nvidia propritary driver 440.64 (installed via RPMfusion). Vdpau and Va extensions are installed and running - confirmed by vainfo.
16GB RAM

I don't see it being a hardware issue. The cutscenes are rendered in 15FPS, while they are 60FPS on Windows. I suspect the prebuild ffmpeg not playing nice with Nvidia. Maybe a manual build of the ffmpeg library could help.
I think I remember there was an issue with Fedora.. but I'm not sure anymore.. Just in case try a Debian-based Distro to narrow down a possible hardware/driver issue.

pk2000

Aug 12, 2017
johnelros Do you have an idea to fix the stutters in cutscenes? I suspect hardware accelaration is disabled.
Fedora 31 Workstation
16GB RAM

Do not use the unofficial compressed versions of rpgmaker mv (or any other nw.js) games that have videos, on that system.
NVIDIA pascal does not support VP9 decoding

Schattenfang

May 29, 2017
Do not use the unofficial compressed versions of rpgmaker mv (or any other nw.js) games that have videos, on that system.
NVIDIA pascal does not support VP9 decoding

You are correct. Just tested ToN with nw.js and prebuilt ffmpeg on an Ryzen 3 system (also Fedora 31) and the cutscenes are accelerated as expected. Steady 60 frame per second.

Last edited:
Reactions: cold_arctus

sissybarbie

Jul 1, 2017
For some reason every time I launch a Ren'Py game it claims the machine is using software rendering and that graphic drivers may be out of date. They certainly are not.
Ren'Py disables desktop effects automatically on launch and I can't resize the game's window. I'm using KDE and I tried blocking apps from disabling the desktop effects but that did not help.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
For some reason every time I launch a Ren'Py game it claims the machine is using software rendering and that graphic drivers may be out of date. They certainly are not.
Ren'Py disables desktop effects automatically on launch and I can't resize the game's window. I'm using KDE and I tried blocking apps from disabling the desktop effects but that did not help.
Any ideas?
Try a fresh installation of KDE in a virtual machine and check if the problem remains. This way you will know if your problem is KDE related or cause by another application.

sissybarbie

Jul 1, 2017
Try a fresh installation of KDE in a virtual machine and check if the problem remains. This way you will know if your problem is KDE related or cause by another application.
Hi, thanks for replying. I disabled some stuff to see where the problem might be and discovered it's actually the window decorations causing the issue. Do you know if there is a way to exclude an app from using a certain theme?

Last edited:

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hi, thanks for replying. I disabled some stuff to see where the problem might be and discovered it's actually the window decorations causing the issue. Do you know if there is a way to exclude an app from using a certain theme?
No idea. I do not use KDE. Sorry!

sissybarbie

Jul 1, 2017
No idea. I do not use KDE. Sorry!
Alright, I've found a way to solve the problem. If anyone has a custom theme, press Alt+F3 to edit the Window specefic setting, go to Appreance and Fixes and disable titlebar and frame. To resize the window you can use Alt+Right mouse click and to move it Alt+Left mouse click.

Mar 11, 2018
If anyone is still having issues with Tyranobuilder, I've been able to get "Urge to Molest If" running via Lutris, using 5.5-2-x86_64(default), and switching offscreen rendering mode to "Backbuffer", with DXVK and VKD3D off, and Winetricks on. If there are other games using tyranobuilder that have had issues I'll be happy to take a swing.

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes