Tutorial Others Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hello! I didn't use wine for this, because it has a Linux version. The game is called "The Spellbook".
AVPro is a 3rd party video player plugin, which doesn't support Linux. This is the reason why you can't see animations with the Linux build. However, it should be possible with the Windows build via Wine as Man of the House does.

Last edited:

Venomosity

Aug 2, 2018
AVPro is a 3rd party video player plugin, which doesn't support Linux. This is the reason why you can't see animations with the Linux build. However, it should be possible with the Windows build via Wine as Man of the House does.
Okay, I have wine, but my problem with it is the game doesn't fit the screen. And I tried it with wine as well the animations isn't showing.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Okay, I have wine, but my problem with it is the game doesn't fit the screen. And I tried it with wine as well the animations isn't showing.
I downloaded it myself and it is more complex as for MotH. I think the dev switched the video player again and use now Unity's build-in video player, since I don't see any AVPro .dll file in the game folder.

Venomosity

Aug 2, 2018
I downloaded it myself and it is more complex as for MotH. I think the dev switched the video player again and use now Unity's build-in video player, since I don't see any AVPro .dll file in the game folder.
What should I do? So, in wine if it comes to animation it just gives me black screen.

MadByte

Donor
Feb 25, 2018
I may have some additional information for developers using NW.js / RPGM MV etc.:

- Recently I tried to play Peasent's Quest by Tinkerer on my Linux system. I couldn't play it because Tinkerer had to package up all game files (assets, scripts, etc) into a single .exe for license reasons and Wine wasn't able to run the game like that. The solution was to extract all data from the .exe file (I asked Tinkerer for permission) and using the nw.js runtime(?) and copying it into the game directory as mentioned in the OP. So my request to the game developers is - if you want your game to be playable on Linux systems (but for some reason can't build it directly for Linux), please don't package the assets with the .exe file. I've seen other MV games which used an encryption system where the assets got packaged up into "*.rpgmvp"; "*.rpgmvm"; "*.rpgmvo" by the engine - those games work just fine using Wine.

- Also with Peasent's Quest I discovered a bug which caused the game to crash on Linux systems when it tried to load a specific image file. The reason for this was an "hard-coded" file path in an .json file which worked on Windows but not on Linux or Mac. To get a bit into detail, many engines (and programming languages of course) are built with multi-platform support in mind. They offer own ways to resolve these path problems by offering own filesystem functions which can translate given paths for different systems or even go around paths all together by just asking for a filename and file type and then have preset directories for each file from where they get loaded from. If there's such a functions or a prepared workflow for this stuff in your engine - use it. Don't hard-code paths into your scripts. This just leads to unforeseeable behaviour and possible bugs on all operating systems.

Hope this helps a bit.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I may have some additional information for developers using NW.js / RPGM MV etc.:

- Recently I tried to play Peasent's Quest by Tinkerer on my Linux system. I couldn't play it because Tinkerer had to package up all game files (assets, scripts, etc) into a single .exe for license reasons and Wine wasn't able to run the game like that. The solution was to extract all data from the .exe file (I asked Tinkerer for permission) and using the nw.js runtime(?) and copying it into the game directory as mentioned in the OP. So my request to the game developers is - if you want your game to be playable on Linux systems (but for some reason can't build it directly for Linux), please don't package the assets with the .exe file. I've seen other MV games which used an encryption system where the assets got packaged up into "*.rpgmvp"; "*.rpgmvm"; "*.rpgmvo" by the engine - those games work just fine using Wine.

- Also with Peasent's Quest I discovered a bug which caused the game to crash on Linux systems when it tried to load a specific image file. The reason for this was an "hard-coded" file path in an .json file which worked on Windows but not on Linux or Mac. To get a bit into detail, many engines (and programming languages of course) are built with multi-platform support in mind. They offer own ways to resolve these path problems by offering own filesystem functions which can translate given paths for different systems or even go around paths all together by just asking for a filename and file type and then have preset directories for each file from where they get loaded from. If there's such a functions or a prepared workflow for this stuff in your engine - use it. Don't hard-code paths into your scripts. This just leads to unforeseeable behaviour and possible bugs on all operating systems.

Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks for your feedback on Peasant's Quest. I took a look at the game and downloaded the compressed (230mb) and uncompressed (2GB) version.

Here are the options how to play the compressed and uncompressed versions on a Linux system:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Capacitor pls add the link to RPG MV Linux Launcher on OP. Thanks!
https://f95zone.to/threads/rpg-maker-mv-v1-62-linux-mac-and-windows.31352/post-1990583

Last edited:

MadByte

Donor
Feb 25, 2018
Thanks for your feedback on Peasant's Quest. I took a look at the game and downloaded the compressed (230mb) and uncompressed (2GB) version.

Here are the option how to play the compressed and uncompressed versions on a Linux system:

Capacitor pls add the link to RPG MV Linux Launcher on OP. Thanks!
https://f95zone.to/threads/rpg-maker-mv-v1-62-linux-mac-and-windows.31352/post-1990583
Haven't seen this Launcher, thanks for linking it. None the less, it could be useful for developers to know such edge cases like the encrytion technique problems. It is something they could work around easily without having linux users to do extra steps (which require them to expose all game data) to get the game working on their systems.
Also, this does not fix bugs which where made in the game scripts with windows in mind of course. So the second note may still be useful to add.

Reactions: cold_arctus

Venomosity

Aug 2, 2018
Anyone know how to play Treasure of Nadia linux version in Ubuntu? I tried running the .sh file it doesn't run.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Anyone know how to play Treasure of Nadia linux version in Ubuntu? I tried running the .sh file it doesn't run.
Runs perfect this way.
Download RPG MV Linux Launcher form here:

1. Extract the launcher into a new folder.
2. Copy ToN's www folder into the launchers folder.
3. Right click on the "Game" file (bash file) and mark it "executable".
4. Now you can launch the game through the Game file.
5. Enjoy the game.

placid1

May 5, 2018
I've been having trouble with every renpy game. None will take keyboard input. Any help would be appreciated.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
What is your standard keyboard setting? Did you try to switch your keyboard setting to English?

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Yup, keyboard settings is set to English.
If you keyboard is set to English and reinstalling your keyboard drivers did not fix the problem with Ren'Py, then I think it is a problem with your environment.

Create a new user account without any customization or a different Distro.

placid1

May 5, 2018
Created a new user, same issue. Can't type. Though it does seem to take input from the keyboard. I can skip text and 'a' brings up the accessibility options.

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes