Tutorial Others Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

Pigfarmer

May 25, 2019
The dev console is your friend, both on Firefox and on Chromium-based browsers.
Not a straightforward solution, but you can import and export saves from there. I posted a couple of hints in this thread.
Okay thanks for pointing me to that thread! If I understood correctly from the posts, since the RPGM save value string in the sqlite database is equivalent to the content of a regular compressed RPGM save file, I can just try downloading a 100% save file from on here and copy the file content into the SQLite database :p Better take a backup before I go break something.

bigguy_foryou

Jun 8, 2018
Has anyone been able to get the release version of Karryn's Prison working?

At first I tried the standard method of extracting nwjs into the game directory and running nw, it seems to just hang forever and eventually I got a too many open files error. Then I tried using WINE on a fresh copy of the game and had similar issues with waiting indefinitely (I MAY have been too impatient though because...). At this point I gave up and launched the game in a Windows VM, which finally got it working, however it's worth noting that despite this it still took an unusual time to load up to the main menu (but I did get to witness a splash while it was doing so) around a minute.

I somewhat suspect a native version is not possible to run, at least not conventionally, because I noticed after trying that nw.dll is ~150M for some reason, the native linux nwjs is obviously not going to use that. I don't know what's in it, but if it's required for the game it would seem only the Windows copy is ever going to work. It's possible WINE would have eventually worked if I'd given it more time given how long it took to start natively anyway.

The game worked perfectly fine up until the official Steam release using the nwjs tarball extract into parent dir method.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Has anyone been able to get the release version of Karryn's Prison working?

At first I tried the standard method of extracting nwjs into the game directory and running nw, it seems to just hang forever and eventually I got a too many open files error. Then I tried using WINE on a fresh copy of the game and had similar issues with waiting indefinitely (I MAY have been too impatient though because...). At this point I gave up and launched the game in a Windows VM, which finally got it working, however it's worth noting that despite this it still took an unusual time to load up to the main menu (but I did get to witness a splash while it was doing so) around a minute.

I somewhat suspect a native version is not possible to run, at least not conventionally, because I noticed after trying that nw.dll is ~150M for some reason, the native linux nwjs is obviously not going to use that. I don't know what's in it, but if it's required for the game it would seem only the Windows copy is ever going to work. It's possible WINE would have eventually worked if I'd given it more time given how long it took to start natively anyway.

The game worked perfectly fine up until the official Steam release using the nwjs tarball extract into parent dir method.
Check this thread for repackaged RPGMaker MV games for Android and Linux.
https://f95zone.to/threads/rpg-maker-mv-repackaged-games.79700/post-5558861

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Well it's in the list as "not ready yet", however I'd be more interested in his methods for repacking it so it works even if he did have it available.
It's more than repacking the game. Reach through his thread and you will understand.

Hyuuga_Neji

Jan 15, 2020
Hello peoples

I've downloaded a game named DreamsofDesire-Definitive-1.0-Elite on it's compressed version to my old laptop (Gateway MX6433) running Manjaro.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The game open well but in some scenes the game is closing throwing an Coredump file.
as you can see it happens a lot of times (more than anyone spect to do it):

I've tried to figure out what could be happening to my sistem or the game and here is the output when you try to read one of this coredump files:

I have no idea why this happen. I've been playing others 3dcg games on my system before (like MyCuteRoomate or GirlHouse or MilfyCity...) and this never happen. ¿Can someone tell me if the problem its my old hardware, maybe something with my system or any solution to fix my problem?

Nov 24, 2019
Hyuuga_Neji
Dreams of Desire is a Ren'Py game... It definitely should not be causing a SIGILL* (and the cascate of resulting segmentation faults, for that matter).

In Ren'Py games, traditionally, only the game folder is important.

Try taking a different Ren'Py game which you know that work, and replace the game folder. See if the bug is still present.

Unfortunately, your pastes are cutting the important parts (what caused the Illegal Instructions, for example), but for time begin try this; This seems like a bug on Ren'Py itself, checking first if the compressor didn't package a bad Ren'Py version is a good idea.

Well, I am not familiar with AMD CPUs, and it is possible that it is a bug on Ren'Py itself, so you should try first running the game with latest Ren'Py (7.4.x series, do not use Ren'Py 8 yet), then checking if the bug happens with other Ren'Py games as well.

*: Illegal CPU Instruction, there are several for each CPU type and they usually are unique. It likely is specific to your machine, so knowing if other Ren'Py games work or not is critical :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hyuuga_Neji

Hyuuga_Neji

Jan 15, 2020
Hyuuga_Neji
Dreams of Desire is a Ren'Py game... It definitely should not be causing a SIGILL* (and the cascate of resulting segmentation faults, for that matter).

In Ren'Py games, traditionally, only the game folder is important.

Try taking a different Ren'Py game which you know that work, and replace the game folder. See if the bug is still present.

Unfortunately, your pastes are cutting the important parts (what caused the Illegal Instructions, for example), but for time begin try this; This seems like a bug on Ren'Py itself, checking first if the compressor didn't package a bad Ren'Py version is a good idea.

Well, I am not familiar with AMD CPUs, and it is possible that it is a bug on Ren'Py itself, so you should try first running the game with latest Ren'Py (7.4.x series, do not use Ren'Py 8 yet), then checking if the bug happens with other Ren'Py games as well.

*: Illegal CPU Instruction, there are several for each CPU type and they usually are unique. It likely is specific to your machine, so knowing if other Ren'Py games work or not is critical :)
I'm using RenPy 7.4.8.1985 on Manjaro i'm gonna try the game folder from Lust Academy (another RenPy game with 3dcg that run normally on my system) thank you for your answer

rrxm

Jul 27, 2018
It would seem like the easiest way to get Treasure of Nadia up and running is by simply replacing the lib/libffmpeg.so in the game directory with the appropriate one from (credits https://f95zone.to/threads/treasure-of-nadia-v1-0112-nlt-media.38582/post-6963174).
Make sure you get the matching version for the version of nwjs you're using (latest 0.55.0 for the ffmpeg prebuilt so that's what you should use for nwjs as well).

I haven't played the game in full yet, but while the usual method of simply extracting nwjs into the game directory and running it results in a black screen following the age warning, doing it with the replaced libffmpeg.so gets me to the menu.

Much simpler than the LD_PRELOAD workaround using the alternative build of nwjs found on the AUR.
This works for The Genesis Order too. I tested using NW.js 0.60.0.

Reactions: fasefive

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Found a weird bug affecting some Java games, Venture Seas among them.

As far as I understand, old versions of Lwjgl used to parse the output of xrandr to detect the monitor settings. But Lwjgl expected the modeline to be like WIDTHxHEIGHT followed by a space and more stuff. I set a custom modeline that started with 1920x1080_60.00 and this made Venture Seas crash when launched:
Code:
Exception in thread "LWJGL Application" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
	at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglGraphics.setVSync(LwjglGraphics.java:643)
	at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication$1.run(LwjglApplication.java:125)
Caused by: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
	at org.lwjgl.opengl.XRandR.findPrimary(XRandR.java:326)
	... 8 more
AL lib: (EE) alc_cleanup: 1 device not closed
After removing the "_60.00" substring, the game worked like a charm. Additional details .

Spazerbeam

Aug 2, 2020
I need some help. I can't for the life of me get treasures of nadia running on my steam deck and I don't know too much about linux yet. I've tried both the native linux version and copying into the linux folder as provided in the guide. Only the second method gets me anywhere and it's just a black screen after the warning on boot. Any advise would be appreciated as I am also trying to learn Linux.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I need some help. I can't for the life of me get treasures of nadia running on my steam deck and I don't know too much about linux yet. I've tried both the native linux version and copying into the linux folder as provided in the guide. Only the second method gets me anywhere and it's just a black screen after the warning on boot. Any advise would be appreciated as I am also trying to learn Linux.
Steam Deck runs on an Arch fork and may require additional codecs. Not sure which guide you followed but there is one specially for Arch users posted here:
https://f95zone.to/threads/playing-on-linux-tutorials-tools-and-help.19523/post-3915739

Good luck with it.

DagazWalhalla

Sep 22, 2018
The issue here isn't related with the "bare Linux install" or lack of any mentioned packages installed system-wide with the exception of libxss (which is installed with any chromium based browser or mpv, anyway). This particular issue with Treasure of Nadia on Arch is caused by heavily outdated nwjs version (0.29.0) bundled with the game files, which crashes on Arch. Solution is plain and simple - update nwjs. This simple how-to works on any Linux distribution and might help also with other issues, e.g. performance related:

1. , extract, optionally rename (for this case lets name the folder ToN) any recent version of nwjs, that works well on your PC.
2. , extract and move libffmpeg.so to ToN/lib/.
3. Move the www folder and the package.json from the downloaded game to our new ToN folder (repeat this step when updating the game - merge and overwrite just the www folder).
4. Run ./nw from our new ToN folder (make it executable first if needed: chmod +x nw)
This alone does not work anymore.
For me this works in Arch Linux:
  1. Download and extract the Game
  2. Download NWJS from -> extract all files to the game directory
  3. Download the lastest nwjs-ffmpeg-prebuilt from and replace gamedir/lib/ with the one from the download.

Feb 7, 2018
This alone does not work anymore.
For me this works in Arch Linux:
  1. Download and extract the Game
  2. Download NWJS from -> extract all files to the game directory
  3. Download the lastest nwjs-ffmpeg-prebuilt from and replace gamedir/lib/ with the one from the download.
Still works just fine. The difference is, that you're extracting nwjs into a game. I prefer the other way around, because it's cleaner, and every incremental update requires only a merging of the www folder. One important note. nwjs-ffmpeg-prebuilt version should match the nwjs version.

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes