Please help me decide. Create a 2d or 3d game? Samples of my work included.

Scarecrow-76

Oct 4, 2021
So where do I start? This is the first time I'm posting here but I'm pretty active on social. I'm not going to bore you with my background, just that for the last 8 months I've been struggling with trying to figure out if I should make a 2d or 3d game. Yes, I know that this question comes up constantly. I just like both mediums in AVN's. I love Summertime Saga and I like well done 3dcgi AVN's. To me, they are both different types of games. Daz3d AVN's that are done well, tell a good story and have descent renders. Chasing Sunsets was the last one I read and it kept me playing. But I also love the free and silliness of Summertime Saga or a fairly new one, Space Rescue: Code Pink. In 2d, the only limits are your imaginations, coding knowledge, and 2d skills. In 3d, I find that a more story driven and serious story catches my interest. I originally wanted to do 3d, but beyond what has been seen. I bought an iphone for facial mocap data, ps3 eyes, along with a software for home mocap, learned the pipeline between Daz and Blender to create some real cool animations and VBD effects. I use to create Daz clothing and I'm very familiar on how to push the software and also incorporate Zbrush for some more realizism like skin overhanging on tigh fitting clothes or thighs actually looking like they are on a seat. But I was still limited to what assets I could get, unless I wanted to spend weeks and months create my own scenes, which I didnt. Which meant spending more and more money. In 2d, my only real problem was making it more interactive which meant learning more coding. I have gone between both mediums. It's killing me. I'm leaning more towards 2d, because I feel like I would have more freedom in the long run. Anyways I attached some of my work. Any advise would be awesome. Thanks.

dakusama

Jul 15, 2020
Damm, on one hand you got all that stuff to be able to do animations in 3d, on the other side your 2d art is so good it needs to exist in a game, i want both lmao, do a 2+3d game pls.

Reactions: Scarecrow-76

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Holy shit, you did this all by yourself?? you're a fucking artist. I dunno...I say 2-D. I tend to favor these games over the 3-D ones.

But man, whatever you do, you have the potential to make some serious bucks.

MrSilverLust

MSL Games
Game Developer
May 22, 2021
Both look great. You seem to be better with daz than most of us, but your 2d art is also equally impressive. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one. In the end, it's a personal decision that only you can make.

One positive point about 2dart is that it is unique and easily identifiable. It's much harder to give a unique feeling to 3d renders. I think a game with your 2d art would look really good, and I see it being used in a more serious and realistic story. It doesn't have to be "silly" and "carefree" like summertime saga. So, my personal opinion would be to go with the 2d style. It' just looks so good.

My advice to help you choose is:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Scarecrow-76

Oct 4, 2021
Both look great. You seem to be better with daz than most of us, but your 2d art is also equally impressive. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one. In the end, it's a personal decision that only you can make.

One positive point about 2dart is that it is unique and easily identifiable. It's much harder to give a unique feeling to 3d renders. I think a game with your 2d art would look really good, and I see it being used in a more serious and realistic story. It doesn't have to be "silly" and "carefree" like summertime saga. So, my personal opinion would be to go with the 2d style. It' just looks so good.

Thanks. So confused. I'm so indecisive.

Crooked13th

Jan 24, 2022
Hmm, I am strongly leaning towards 2D. You do seem to have some good ideas about pushing 3D past the stock standard Daz expectations, but tbh, the ceiling isn't terribly high there to begin with. 2D does have the massive advantage of having no visual or narrative limits above your drawing ability.

You already appear to be a very skilled 2D artist. You have your own artistic identity, which is quite fantastic if you want your own artistic flair to stand out in the medium you're introducing it to. So I'd vote 2D. But, what I would suggest on top of it all, is looking into learning 2D skeletal animation. There are many tools (with a wide range of accessibility and quality) that can add a TON of quality to a 2D adult game with the introduction of fluid 2D animations. And in my experience, the bar isn't terribly high to enter.

You don't have to introduce 2D animations of course, but as you're showing some aptitude for going above and beyond, that would be the way to go as far as 2D is concerned.

What sub genre are you thinking of getting into, incidentally?

baka

Engaged Member
Modder
Oct 13, 2016
theres tons of 3D games. but not as many 2D games by a "non-japanese" artist.
but the most important is the story and the writing. that need to be interesting and erotic.
another factor is "time" and "what kind of game" you want to do.
to create 2D takes time. while 3D, can go faster, once you have the needed assets and locations.
to make good 3D require skills and years of experience as well. and you need a good computer to be able to render it with the best settings and as fast possible, as the "waiting" is also hard to deal with.

in the end its about you, what you feel more comfortable to work with.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
I can see why you are conflicted - this is really tricky when you want suggestions only based on your artistic skills. Both look equally good.

Maybe approach the conflict from a different angle: What matters more to yourself - being considered a unique artist (2d) or a well rounded DAZ Pro (3d). Whatever appeals more to your ego should be the way to go since it should grant you continuos motivation in the long run.

Since you dont describe what kind of game you are really planning I just throw my personal 2 cents here: If you plan a novel/story based game then I would say: 2d. Why? Good story and unique art is hard to come by. 3d will put you in the group of a dozen and a dime even if you create spectacular optics.

Kurumi Tokisaki

Nightmare
Donor
Sep 26, 2019
2D looks better with the examples. I would agree that it would give you more freedom and learning more coding to do it wouldn't hurt since more experience could help down the road.

Looks like you be pretty good at making comic books with that kind of art style too imo.

Last edited:

Scarecrow-76

Oct 4, 2021
Holy shit, you did this all by yourself?? you're a fucking artist. I dunno...I say 2-D. I tend to favor these games over the 3-D ones.

But man, whatever you do, you have the potential to make some serious bucks.
Thank you. Yeah, I'm leaning more and more towards 2d myself. I should just stop crying and commit already. Imagine how much would have been done if I started months ago. Thanks again.

Xanado

May 9, 2018
IMHO If you have the skills to do 2d then 2d. You will have more creativity without triggering "uncanny valley" and 2d ages better in general. Also you are talented, put it to good use.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Scarecrow-76

Oct 4, 2021

I really, really appreciate the advice. Especially about what to expect after releasing and having to add updates to the game. Both mediums can be frustrating in their own ways. I'm leaning more towards 2d. Just because I recall years ago when I was starting with Daz, I was trying to make a comic book. And my scenes and part of the story line was pretty much locked into what assets I could find. If I wanted a scene on a medieval bridge, but couldnt find one, well then there was no bridge scene. But I'm sure you know what Im talking about. Thanks again.

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
There are several questions you have to ask yourself:

With what are you more comfortable?
What is easier to produce for you?
What do you prefer?

Answer these questions for yourself and then decide.

Scarecrow-76

Oct 4, 2021
Hmm, I am strongly leaning towards 2D. You do seem to have some good ideas about pushing 3D past the stock standard Daz expectations, but tbh, the ceiling isn't terribly high there to begin with. 2D does have the massive advantage of having no visual or narrative limits above your drawing ability.

You already appear to be a very skilled 2D artist. You have your own artistic identity, which is quite fantastic if you want your own artistic flair to stand out in the medium you're introducing it to. So I'd vote 2D. But, what I would suggest on top of it all, is looking into learning 2D skeletal animation. There are many tools (with a wide range of accessibility and quality) that can add a TON of quality to a 2D adult game with the introduction of fluid 2D animations. And in my experience, the bar isn't terribly high to enter.

You don't have to introduce 2D animations of course, but as you're showing some aptitude for going above and beyond, that would be the way to go as far as 2D is concerned.

What sub genre are you thinking of getting into, incidentally?
I'm glad you brought up 2D skeletal animation. Is that preferred over hand-drawn frames? It's beautiful to look at, but sometimes it comes off as too smooth. I was thinking about making it kind of a dating sim sandbox game that takes place in an amusement park that you just got hired at. This way I could create the girls that work at the park with different outfits for different areas, pirate, medieval, water-park area. There could be plenty of sexy mishaps or errands that you have to accomplish. Scenes that take place just out of public view.

Scarecrow-76

Oct 4, 2021
There are several questions you have to ask yourself:

With what are you more comfortable?
What is easier to produce for you?
What do you prefer?

Answer these questions for yourself and then decide.
Thanks. These are the same exact questions I've been asking myself, lol. I decided, its goin to be 2d. Now comes the hard part, learning some real coding beyond what I know. Thanks again