Please help me decide. Create a 2d or 3d game? Samples of my work included.

Scarecrow-76

Oct 4, 2021
My advice is do a VN 2D erotic game because you are a good 2D artist. Your 3D art is also good, I like the lighting and the angles you chose on your renders. So do one 2D erotic game and one 3D erotic game and see which one is more success then decide after that what you wanna do.
You can also do a comic or an art gallery then implement that into a game because game can be lots of work due to coding. But for a visual novel you can use renpy which is very user friendly and you don't have to code all that much. You can set your game up for a couple of different choices or endings and use your art gallery.
Unity is also a pretty user friendly game engine, but if you just wana do a simple visual novel then renpy is better because it is easier to use. I noticed you did a nice Velma erotic art, your game could be about famous cartoons getting fucked or something like that, I love those kinds of stuff. But at the end of the day you decide, and try to get paid also because you do nice art.
Thank u so much for the advice and compliments.

Reactions: zilkin

Scarecrow-76

Oct 4, 2021
Typically, I'm a lot more into 3D than 2D VN.

But in this case, I gotta say your 2D artwork is far superior to your 3D artwork. Your 2D artwork looks so professional, it has a unique style. Very good use of colors so vibrant and beautiful, nice and clean line art, very erotic stylized anatomy, and great character facial expressions.

Anyway, your 3D artwork when compares to your 2D looks amateur, lifeless and stiff, and kinda average. It has no charm from your 2D artwork at all from what you show us. So you should go for the 2D route IMO.

Another thing is 2D art style is a lot easier to pop out than 3D because it's instantly unique but for Daz3D or HS when you have almost the same assets from Daz store or any other places as other devs, it's quite hard and tricky to stand out.

You said you like the more serious story and most VN with the serious story is 3D, then would you kindly make a 2D VN with the serious story!? I really love to see one!

If I said something too harsh and offended you I deeply apologize, I didn't mean to talk shit about your 3D art or anything but damn man your 2D art is too good to not make a game with that style.
You didn't say anything harsh. I really took in what you said and am looking for this kind of a feedback. Thank you very much. Everyone here has taken time to give me awesome advice and feedback. Also really appreciate the compliments.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Once_Up

LuckyHunter777

Oct 9, 2021
So where do I start? This is the first time I'm posting here but I'm pretty active on social. I'm not going to bore you with my background, just that for the last 8 months I've been struggling with trying to figure out if I should make a 2d or 3d game. Yes, I know that this question comes up constantly. I just like both mediums in AVN's. I love Summertime Saga and I like well done 3dcgi AVN's. To me, they are both different types of games. Daz3d AVN's that are done well, tell a good story and have descent renders. Chasing Sunsets was the last one I read and it kept me playing. But I also love the free and silliness of Summertime Saga or a fairly new one, Space Rescue: Code Pink. In 2d, the only limits are your imaginations, coding knowledge, and 2d skills. In 3d, I find that a more story driven and serious story catches my interest. I originally wanted to do 3d, but beyond what has been seen. I bought an iphone for facial mocap data, ps3 eyes, along with a software for home mocap, learned the pipeline between Daz and Blender to create some real cool animations and VBD effects. I use to create Daz clothing and I'm very familiar on how to push the software and also incorporate Zbrush for some more realizism like skin overhanging on tigh fitting clothes or thighs actually looking like they are on a seat. But I was still limited to what assets I could get, unless I wanted to spend weeks and months create my own scenes, which I didnt. Which meant spending more and more money. In 2d, my only real problem was making it more interactive which meant learning more coding. I have gone between both mediums. It's killing me. I'm leaning more towards 2d, because I feel like I would have more freedom in the long run. Anyways I attached some of my work. Any advise would be awesome. Thanks.
Definitely 2D.

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
With 2D you can create your own story.
With 3D most (98%?) devs just use premade assets for their VN scenes. You make a story around the assets you can get. And it's limited to variations you can get. It's limited creativity.
Otherwise, you can make your assets, but that would take a lot of time and people will complain without understanding why it takes so long for each update.
Your 3D is average. Nothing stands out from the rest.
Your drawings are great. Better than 99%.
And with practice, you can only get better and unique that no one will be able to replicate, unlike with 3D.
You have a talent for drawing, use it.

Reactions: Scarecrow-76

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
So where do I start? This is the first time I'm posting here but I'm pretty active on social. I'm not going to bore you with my background, just that for the last 8 months I've been struggling with trying to figure out if I should make a 2d or 3d game. Yes, I know that this question comes up constantly. I just like both mediums in AVN's. I love Summertime Saga and I like well done 3dcgi AVN's. To me, they are both different types of games. Daz3d AVN's that are done well, tell a good story and have descent renders. Chasing Sunsets was the last one I read and it kept me playing. But I also love the free and silliness of Summertime Saga or a fairly new one, Space Rescue: Code Pink. In 2d, the only limits are your imaginations, coding knowledge, and 2d skills. In 3d, I find that a more story driven and serious story catches my interest. I originally wanted to do 3d, but beyond what has been seen. I bought an iphone for facial mocap data, ps3 eyes, along with a software for home mocap, learned the pipeline between Daz and Blender to create some real cool animations and VBD effects. I use to create Daz clothing and I'm very familiar on how to push the software and also incorporate Zbrush for some more realizism like skin overhanging on tigh fitting clothes or thighs actually looking like they are on a seat. But I was still limited to what assets I could get, unless I wanted to spend weeks and months create my own scenes, which I didnt. Which meant spending more and more money. In 2d, my only real problem was making it more interactive which meant learning more coding. I have gone between both mediums. It's killing me. I'm leaning more towards 2d, because I feel like I would have more freedom in the long run. Anyways I attached some of my work. Any advise would be awesome. Thanks.
I couldn't bring myself to read that wall of text, sorry... You really should consider breaking those lines.

That being said, I entered this thread fully expecting some shitty 2D (Like something I'd make, or slightly better), but instead I saw that high quality 2D art and I was left speechless.
The 3D is uninspired and nothing that would make me feel excited playing any of your game, but that 2D is amazing.

At the end of the day, the decision is yours and you should make whatever you enjoy making.
However, consider yourself a criminal if you don't make use of your talent, that 2D art is really sweet.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
I couldn't bring myself to read that wall of text, sorry... You really should consider breaking those lines.

That being said, I entered this thread fully expecting some shitty 2D (Like something I'd make, or slightly better), but instead I saw that high quality 2D art and I was left speechless.
The 3D is uninspired and nothing that would make me feel excited playing any of your game, but that 2D is amazing.

At the end of the day, the decision is yours and you should make whatever you enjoy making.
However, consider yourself a criminal if you don't make use of your talent, that 2D art is really sweet.
How can you seriously answer to something you havnt really read? :rolleyes: That is really a horrible modern thing to say and misplaced pride

Reactions: thegooglyman

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
How can you seriously answer to something you havnt really read? :rolleyes: That is really a horrible modern thing to say and misplaced pride
Walls aren't mean to be read, but climbed.
I climbed, saw some sweet 2D stuff, read the title, and answered.

thegooglyman

Googlyman Studios
Game Developer
Dec 15, 2017
Honestly, your art and your renders are great. Arousal wise, not a big fan of your proportions of your women characters. too muscular for my tastes, but the technique and shading are superb.

It really depends on what you are going for. If you want to make a visual novel, Go with your 2d art. We have an over abundance of Daz3D story books, and you could really go crazy with your drawings so its not some mundane home/office/school setting.

If you're going to make a more interactive game, I would love to see those 3d characters in real time.

Reactions: toolkitxx

Scarecrow-76

Oct 4, 2021
With 2D you can create your own story.
With 3D most (98%?) devs just use premade assets for their VN scenes. You make a story around the assets you can get. And it's limited to variations you can get. It's limited creativity.
Otherwise, you can make your assets, but that would take a lot of time and people will complain without understanding why it takes so long for each update.
Your 3D is average. Nothing stands out from the rest.
Your drawings are great. Better than 99%.
And with practice, you can only get better and unique that no one will be able to replicate, unlike with 3D.
You have a talent for drawing, use it.
You made some really good points. Thank you so much.

infomercial

Jun 11, 2017
Both look good, though good 2D is a more rare sight so I'm gonna say your 2D art is more impressive. However this shouldn't be the main selection criteria. If you're making a game for the 3D crowd you should use 3D and vice versa. For example, if you're making a fanfiction-parody game like Akabur's games or Something Unlimited then it's definitely a better idea to use 2D but if you're making an incest harem game with lots of MILF heroines then I think choosing 3D would be easier on the eyes for people already playing those games.

Scarecrow-76

Oct 4, 2021
Both look good, though good 2D is a more rare sight so I'm gonna say your 2D art is more impressive. However this shouldn't be the main selection criteria. If you're making a game for the 3D crowd you should use 3D and vice versa. For example, if you're making a fanfiction-parody game like Akabur's games or Something Unlimited then it's definitely a better idea to use 2D but if you're making an incest harem game with lots of MILF heroines then I think choosing 3D would be easier on the eyes for people already playing those games.
Thanks for the compliment. The selection between 2d/3d actually was dictating what type of game I would make. I enjoy both. Love the trainer/dating sim 2d games and enjoy the well made more serious erotic 3d games.

OsamiWorks

May 24, 2020
You will probably have to code no matter what, luckily coding isn't as difficult for what you want to do unless you're trying to make a dialogue system from scratch for some reason. Don't make it too complicated for yourself!

Scarecrow-76

Oct 4, 2021
You will probably have to code no matter what, luckily coding isn't as difficult for what you want to do unless you're trying to make a dialogue system from scratch for some reason. Don't make it too complicated for yourself!
I'm trying to keep it simple enough. Hard not to get too ambitious. But I am learning a lot pretty quickly. This community is dam helpful and knowledgeable.

Reactions: OsamiWorks

KingXeno07

Jul 1, 2022
Both you 2d and 3d works looks amazing!! I like the 2d art more..Can you tell me what software did you use to make those 2d arts?

Parodos

Game Developer
Jul 16, 2021
Well, its already been said, but I say go for the 2d. It's really good, and it's more unique! The 3d isn't bad, but I think it will stand out less, like there are other game that have equally good 3d. But when it comes to 2d, I don't think there are many that can compete with you :D

Scarecrow-76

Oct 4, 2021
Well, its already been said, but I say go for the 2d. It's really good, and it's more unique! The 3d isn't bad, but I think it will stand out less, like there are other game that have equally good 3d. But when it comes to 2d, I don't think there are many that can compete with you :D
Thanks for the advice.