VN Ren'Py Pokemon Academy Life Forever [v05.11.2024] [Pokémon Visual]

4.70 star(s) 10 Votes

zeerin

Nov 9, 2017
And on the point with darker skin characters, I think you just missed them. Bea (Fighting/Rock), Olivia (teacher for rock), Brock, Nessa are all in the game.
Was Bea really that dark skinned? I definitely met her, I just don't recall her being that dark skinned. Olivia I blanked completely from my mind, she was waaaaayyyy to cringy for me. I've only seen Brock in an early on story event, and that was from a distance so I didn't really notice his skin colour. But thank you for the reminders, I'll make an edit of my post to include that.

From the associated writing am pretty sure this one is made nigh-unwinnable intentionally and by design, so i don't hold it against the game.
I don't hold it against the game either, besides the infinite titty sucking the cow was doing. It was nice to need more strategy than "Ralts, use confusion/dazzling gleam!" lol

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
Honestly, so many of the early battles were super difficult.
They're pretty much all roflstomps in my experience with a Charmander. The perpetually healing cow being the only loss as designed, and even that was a near win due to inflicted burn.

Being an Electric trainer ends up being kinda pointless, so I'm glad they gave you the option to transfer your levels for it elsewhere after a certain event.
It's not pointless since any electric pokemon other than Pikachu will need these caps to level up. But it's nice to have an option, yes.

Because at the current rate of training, there is no possible way to focus your attention on more than just a few types.
This is what the game explicitly tells you -- that training in more than 2-3 types can be considered spreading yourself too thin, with maybe 6 types being the absolute limit. So i'd consider this to be "by design", too.

tortlll

Jan 4, 2019
They're pretty much all roflstomps in my experience with a Charmander. The perpetually healing cow being the only loss as designed, and even that was a near win due to inflicted burn.

It's not pointless since any electric pokemon other than Pikachu will need these caps to level up. But it's nice to have an option, yes.

This is what the game explicitly tells you -- that training in more than 2-3 types can be considered spreading yourself too thin, with maybe 6 types being the absolute limit. So i'd consider this to be "by design", too.
All fair points, though, for the sake of type coverage, I think most people would want to avoid Electric unless wishing to do a more monotype team.
And yeah, can see how a Charmander would have an easier time of it. Has 309 BST, and every stat is better than a Ralts, including an extra 25 points in Speed and 15 in SpA.
I'm sure if someone choose a Sigilyph with its simply monstrous 490 BST for a starter, they'd plow through every enemy.

zeerin

Nov 9, 2017
And yeah, can see how a Charmander would have an easier time of it. Has 309 BST, and every stat is better than a Ralts, including an extra 25 points in Speed and 15 in SpA.
Just remember: Gardevoir only needs one attack, and bye-bye Charizard. Course if you decide to go the Gallade route, since, judging from dialogue, we appear to be locked into only male Ralts, it might go the other way around lol.

Reactions: Angelcrush

Donutmaester

Dec 31, 2020
Honestly, at lvl 5 no matter what type you use, every battle was super easy except for Hibert Whitney and the Thugs, Hilbert because he literally admits that he only cheeses the best move for his mons, the Thugs because it's a 3 on 1 with your mons being utter garbage because you didn't lvl them up, and Whitney because of the literal bane of every trainers existence named Miltank.

DeathAl

Jan 26, 2019
Oh I agree, they're pushing pretty hard for a relationship with Leaf or, uh, "Tia" too (even though Leaf super rejects you if you ask her on a date lol), but, similarly to how they're pushing Janine as the dom/sub route, I feel like they're pushing Gold as a gay route. But I could be wrong. It's quite possible.
But Leaf didn't say no, but rather a "it's too soon". It's true I had forgotten Janine.
I really don't find the dialogues pushing towards a relationship with Gold, I feel like he's there more for the joke of the similarity between Red and Gold in the games.

I hope that being forced to have Pikachu in our team we will have an event that will boost his stats permanently and/or that he will have a unique signature attack.

Otherwise the important and real question I ask myself is: where is Cynthia and will she be datable?

Reactions: Angelcrush
Oct 18, 2018
But Leaf didn't say no, but rather a "it's too soon". It's true I had forgotten Janine.
I really don't find the dialogues pushing towards a relationship with Gold, I feel like he's there more for the joke of the similarity between Red and Gold in the games.

I hope that being forced to have Pikachu in our team we will have an event that will boost his stats permanently and/or that he will have a unique signature attack.

Otherwise the important and real question I ask myself is: where is Cynthia and will she be datable?
It's apparent that Cynthia isn't currently related to the school based on the few times anyone mentions her, but it may be possible that she'll appear at some point anyway.

Oct 18, 2018
Honestly, at lvl 5 no matter what type you use, every battle was super easy except for Hibert Whitney and the Thugs, Hilbert because he literally admits that he only cheeses the best move for his mons, the Thugs because it's a 3 on 1 with your mons being utter garbage because you didn't lvl them up, and Whitney because of the literal bane of every trainers existence named Miltank.
That Miltank is no joke. If you caught a team of six and were lucky enough to have a status ability, you might be able to hold out. But it has Scrappy and Milk Drink for self-healing, so it's very easy to become totally unable to beat it.

Reactions: Kozuki12

Astra9

Jun 19, 2022
That Miltank is no joke. If you caught a team of six and were lucky enough to have a status ability, you might be able to hold out. But it has Scrappy and Milk Drink for self-healing, so it's very easy to become totally unable to beat it.
Its certainly a tough fight but I managed to beat that Miltank with Aron.

zeerin

Nov 9, 2017
I mean, if you didn't level your pokemon up you have literally no one but yourself to blame. The thugs are right at the very end of the version. There's more than enough time for you to get at least your starter to a decent level. I want to say I had a level 6 or 7 Cyndaquil, lvl 8 Ralts, lvl 9 Pikachu, level 5 Zigzagoon (and I could've caught a higher level one, Cyndaquil too), and a level 10 Absol and I think the only one that died between the 4 thugs (counting the single battle as a separate thug since you fight him a second time in the 3-on-1) was the Cyndaquil. Though Ralts definitely came close.

Definitely an rng fight more than strategy fight. But the Absol can make a massive difference. Especially if you spam defense lowering moves on it before bringing Absol out.

tortlll

Jan 4, 2019
Just remember: Gardevoir only needs one attack, and bye-bye Charizard. Course if you decide to go the Gallade route, since, judging from dialogue, we appear to be locked into only male Ralts, it might go the other way around lol.
I don't think starters have a locked gender, mine was Female. Besides, both male/female Ralts can evolve into Gardevoir.
Also, what attack you talking? Thunderbolt?

I get the feeling that our Pikachu already has an unique ability.
I never saw "Static" proc, and looking at Pikachu's ability, it said "Freeelectric", which... isn't normally something that exists in the real games. I'm sure the devs have something planned with that to make Pikachu get a leg up.

DeathAl

Jan 26, 2019
I never saw "Static" proc, and looking at Pikachu's ability, it said "Freeelectric", which... isn't normally something that exists in the real games. I'm sure the devs have something planned with that to make Pikachu get a leg up.
True (even if we don't know what "Freeelectric" does, or at least I haven't found it), but I was thinking more of a stat boost like the Partner Pikachu from Let's Go and why not a first boost (which will follow an event) at level 16 so that its stats correspond to the base stats of the first evolution of the starters and a second at around level 32-36 to correspond to the base stats of the final evolution of the starters.

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
I mean, if you didn't level your pokemon up you have literally no one but yourself to blame. The thugs are right at the very end of the version. There's more than enough time for you to get at least your starter to a decent level.
Yeah, i've had Pikachu (10), Charmander (9), Yamper (7) and Absol (10) in that fight and they wiped the floor with the thugs, no one even went below half health.

Hillbert fight was particularly funny with Charmander as starter, because it soloed all 3 of his "optimized" pokemons, one-shotting most of them. But that's the type advantage so, eh. Still funny.

I imagine Pikachu's special ability is being able to always match the level of your highest level pokemon without having to raise electric caps manually. Peeking in the code this is what the "Freelectric" does, although it has potential to evolve further (as matching the level is "phase 1" of this ability)

Last edited:
Reactions: Raj1

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
A propos of nothing. If you want to ruin improve ruin the game for yourself cheating, few quick tricks available through the console:

HealParty(trainer1) will heal and clear status for entire (typically player's) party. Hunt these pokemons all day

playerparty[X].IVs = [a, b, c, d, e, f] allows to manually redefine IVs for the pokemon sitting in slot X of player's party (where X is 0-5, with 0 being the topmost, etc and a, b, c and so on are values in range 0-31)
playerparty[X].RecalculateStats() updates attributes of pokemon sitting in slot X of player's party. Useful after changing IVs

classstats["Type"] = X sets cap for given pokemon type to X, where "Type" is capitalized name of the type you're changing, i.e. "Normal", "Fire", "Water" etc
playerparty[X].GainExperience(Y) grants Y amount of EXP acquired to pokemon in slot X of player's party and levels up the pokemon if applicable

Donutmaester

Dec 31, 2020
I mean, if you didn't level your pokemon up you have literally no one but yourself to blame. The thugs are right at the very end of the version. There's more than enough time for you to get at least your starter to a decent level. I want to say I had a level 6 or 7 Cyndaquil, lvl 8 Ralts, lvl 9 Pikachu, level 5 Zigzagoon (and I could've caught a higher level one, Cyndaquil too), and a level 10 Absol and I think the only one that died between the 4 thugs (counting the single battle as a separate thug since you fight him a second time in the 3-on-1) was the Cyndaquil. Though Ralts definitely came close.

Definitely an rng fight more than strategy fight. But the Absol can make a massive difference. Especially if you spam defense lowering moves on it before bringing Absol out.
Yeah during my first playthrough I got destroyed because I didn't lvl up any of my mons. During my second playthrough when I finally learned how to lvl up (thanks again to the lads of page 4) the thugs and Whitney were super easy, I still lost to Hilbert because I'm a dumbass that didn't prepare a normal-type and rng kept shitting on me by freezing me everytime I'm about to kill Cubchoo or Snorunt.

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
do we know the full base/odds of Pokemon you can catch in the wild right now?
First number for each entry is pokemon id, second number is relative chance of encounter. Since the numbers add up to more than 100 the "1" is equal to ~0.7% at the moment.
Python:
        levelrange = range(3, 10)
        if (location == "fields"):
            encounterpool = {
                263: 10, # zigzagoon
                155: 3, # cyndaquil
                399: 10, # bidoof
                191: 10, # sunkern
                835: 10, # yamper
                133: 1,  # eevee
                919: 10, # nymble
                406: 7, # budew
                29: 7, # nidoran (f)
                32: 7, # nidoran (m)
                333: 7, # swablu
                307: 7, # meditite
                401: 10, # kricketot
                111: 5, # rhyhorn
                710: 5, # pumpkaboo
                659: 10, # bunnelby
                967: 3, # cyclizar
                777: 7, # togedemaru
                764: 7 # comfey
            }

Oct 18, 2018
First number for each entry is pokemon id, second number is relative chance of encounter. Since the numbers add up to more than 100 the "1" is equal to ~0.7% at the moment.
Python:
        levelrange = range(3, 10)
        if (location == "fields"):
            encounterpool = {
                263: 10, # zigzagoon
                155: 3, # cyndaquil
                399: 10, # bidoof
                191: 10, # sunkern
                835: 10, # yamper
                133: 1,  # eevee
                919: 10, # nymble
                406: 7, # budew
                29: 7, # nidoran (f)
                32: 7, # nidoran (m)
                333: 7, # swablu
                307: 7, # meditite
                401: 10, # kricketot
                111: 5, # rhyhorn
                710: 5, # pumpkaboo
                659: 10, # bunnelby
                967: 3, # cyclizar
                777: 7, # togedemaru
                764: 7 # comfey
            }
Thank you. During my own attempts to reapeatedly check encounters, I didn't see Eevee or Cyclizar appear, but I figured there were some other Pokemon hidden in there somewhere.

It's likely that the encounter chart will expand, or will change at different points in the game's calendar progression. We'll have to see which one (maybe both) that it is.

Reactions: ffive

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
Thank you. During my own attempts to reapeatedly check encounters, I didn't see Eevee or Cyclizar appear, but I figured there were some other Pokemon hidden in there somewhere.
Yeah, i got Cyclizar and Cyndaquil in my game, both apparently fairly rare going by the code, but i have yet to see Eevee pop up in the wilds.

zeerin

Nov 9, 2017
I don't think starters have a locked gender, mine was Female. Besides, both male/female Ralts can evolve into Gardevoir.
Also, what attack you talking? Thunderbolt?
Why would you ever though? Only male Kirlia's can evolve into Gallade, so why bother with a male Gardevoir? That's just an affront to nature. Yes, I was talking about Thunderbolt. Usually. Except for Charizard X. Charizard X is a little harder to deal with since that Fire/Dragon combo knock some of the weaknesses down to neutral, so Moonblast or Psychic would probably serve better there. But especially if the Charizard has to switch into the fight. A properly set up Gardevoir is a monster.

A propos of nothing. If you want to ruin improve ruin the game for yourself cheating, few quick tricks available through the console:

HealParty(trainer1) will heal and clear status for entire (typically player's) party. Hunt these pokemons all day

playerparty[X].IVs = [a, b, c, d, e, f] allows to manually redefine IVs for the pokemon sitting in slot X of player's party (where X is 0-5, with 0 being the topmost, etc and a, b, c and so on are values in range 0-31)
playerparty[X].RecalculateStats() updates attributes of pokemon sitting in slot X of player's party. Useful after changing IVs

classstats["Type"] = X sets cap for given pokemon type to X, where "Type" is capitalized name of the type you're changing, i.e. "Normal", "Fire", "Water" etc
playerparty[X].GainExperience(Y) grants Y amount of EXP acquired to pokemon in slot X of player's party and levels up the pokemon if applicable
This is insanely useful, and greatly improves the game. Not only does it let us properly train our Pokemon or try and catch new ones, as opposed to having to cut our training or catching short because of the inability to heal, but we can also have our actual Absol, as opposed to the one they stole 18 levels from.

Last edited:
4.70 star(s) 10 Votes