VN Unity Abandoned Pony Tale Adventures [v0.4.0] [Sneaky Kitty]

3.70 star(s) 3 Votes

DDelvin

Feb 22, 2019
This game is censored isnt it? In the first scene where the pink one falls onto you it immediately turns into a giant black spot. This should have a censored tag
It has seperate nsfw and swf version, looks like they had some coding cross-over there as the gallery version and other two NSFW shots have no censorship

thevampirate

Feb 15, 2019
The art is Excellent but as you know the story is a bit short. I dont know about engines but i like the renpy's features with controllable skip settings and rollback options. I missed the apple jack scenes and derpy. any tips

Edit found derpy but she just took the muffin no scene. i kissed applejack and tried talking but im tired of loading instead of just scroll back. maybe its just not working with my touch pad.

edit again got it too

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019
I played the version on the Spokitty website, which I assume is the latest. A good beta, in my opinion, has to make the player hunger for more, even with little content. This is a good beta.
Special props to the writing. It feels charming, in-character, and I only found 2 typos. Looking forward to seeing further development.

Silk Wright

Sep 20, 2019
This game is censored isnt it? In the first scene where the pink one falls onto you it immediately turns into a giant black spot. This should have a censored tag
The instance of censorship in the NSFW version is mostly just at the beginning, with Pinkie. The 'censor' there is just meant to be the Player's muzzle.

Future NSFW content will not be censored in such a way (unless it just makes sense).

Silk Wright

Sep 20, 2019
I played the version on the Spokitty website, which I assume is the latest. A good beta, in my opinion, has to make the player hunger for more, even with little content. This is a good beta.
Special props to the writing. It feels charming, in-character, and I only found 2 typos. Looking forward to seeing further development.
I'm really glad you like it!

The early narrative has been final edited and reworked in what we've done for 0.4 so far, to tighten the pacing and move the player on to the actual game, so hopefully any grammatical errors will be resolved with the edit.

I'm personally excited to get the player into some more heavy interaction content.

Silk Wright

Sep 20, 2019
Somebody invent renpy engine to do visual adventure game... But more often they are doing game in super combo unity to complicate evrything you can do. Lose more time on repairs and complain about it when you do useless work at all. Okey patrons pay... They pay Dual Family for no content at all, but this forum raged about it... Next game is Two Sides, author 3 times change game engine which destroy game progress... Dont go this way...
We made the decision to go to Unity for a variety of reasons. One, that we have a few engine modifications that will enhance the gameplay going into the future, such as parallax backgrounds, minigames of varying construction, and zoom/pan features to create mobility in the local screen environment. We also have some custom coding on the technical side for optimization, storage, recall of various HQ assets that should help the game run on mobile, which wouldn't be so easy to accomplish on Renpy.

Silk Wright

Sep 20, 2019
The art is Excellent but as you know the story is a bit short. I dont know about engines but i like the renpy's features with controllable skip settings and rollback options. I missed the apple jack scenes and derpy. any tips

Edit found derpy but she just took the muffin no scene. i kissed applejack and tried talking but im tired of loading instead of just scroll back. maybe its just not working with my touch pad.

edit again got it too
We don't plan on making a rollback feature. But we do have plans to integrate quick saves and quick loads, so it should fulfill the same niche.

Norlen

Dec 6, 2017
The story is becoming more and more engaging, which is nice.
It is also well illustrated. Looks like a promising project.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silk Wright

PRAECESSOR

Aug 4, 2017
While I agree that the writing has improved over this past update, I have to worry about the vision and direction that this game is taking. There are a few things that really stand out to me as incredibly jarring.

Maybe it's just how the sprites are being rendered, but some characters' reactions seem very strange. I very much appreciate the amount of work that's being done on that entire system, but I feel as though there needs to be a bit more variation on single emotions. Like expressions for different levels of happiness or anger. Sweetie Belle looked ready to fuckin RIP AND TEAR all over Rarity when she forgot to hold the door, like holy shit calm down.

Then there was the part where Fluttershy trips. I get that this game is not supposed to be that serious, but fuck I just felt bad. You take the shyest, most vulnerable member of the mane six and then have a scene where they accidentally basically give an entire crowd of people a full-frontal view. To me, it seems like too much. It wasn't cute or sexy, it was just kind of sad. I was waiting for the option to be able to look away or cover her up or SOMETHING. Is something like that in the game already? It's been a few days since I've played the update so I can't be sure.

Also, since I can tell that this game is going for a simpler, more true-to-show version of Equestria and a squeaky-clean approach to sex, then I'd ask for the ability to turn off the crotch-tits. Most people don't like them, and I personally find them to be kind of gross. I'm trying to fuck a cartoon horse, not a real one. You know what I'm sayin?

And the biggest thing: this game is being pitched as kind of a dating-sim, RPG, slice-of-life simulator, right? So it's incredibly strange to me that the player-character has so much personality forced upon them before you're able to make your first dialogue choice. I've played a lot of text-based and RenPy RPGs (as I imagine many of us on F95 have), and something that really makes a game feel alive is having plenty of inconsequential dialogue options that help you sink into the world a bit more. Imagine being able to tell the Mayor that you've been to Ponyville before, or tell AJ that you remember drinking apple sauce at the coronation. Something that lets you feel as though you've actually lived in Equestria your whole life. Something that lets you really get immersed in the world.

The interaction with the Apple family is a good example of this. I imagine that giving AJ a bad first impression won't totally lock you out of her route, but it will make it a little harder right? Dialogue that can slightly alter the game experience in a way that feels earned but is mostly inconsequential adds a great deal of immersion. I think that interaction is the best part of the game right now.

Now, to Silk Wright specifically:
I don't know who you are, or what your experience is with writing fanfiction or text-based RPGs. I guess I also don't really know how much freedom Spookitty's giving you in terms of what kind of story you can write. But if you have the freedom to start adding basic game elements like more inconsequential dialogue or player-character backgrounds, I'd recommend playing at least the first few hours of a game called Disco Elysium. This is the single best text-based RPG to ever exist, second maybe only to Planescape: Torment, and was written by a professional author over the course of five years. If you want to get an idea of what truly masterful game writing feels like, then look no further.

Note that this isn't a personal judgment saying that your writing sucks or anything. Like I said, I thought this update was an improvement and a large majority of the new writing feels stronger. But Disco Elysium is the platinum, diamond-studded, smokin'-sexy-style standard for game writing. Even beyond your investment in Pony-Tale itself, I'd say it's worth reading as a masterclass in world-building and character interaction.

Silk Wright

Sep 20, 2019
While I agree that the writing has improved over this past update, I have to worry about the vision and direction that this game is taking. There are a few things that really stand out to me as incredibly jarring.

Maybe it's just how the sprites are being rendered, but some characters' reactions seem very strange. I very much appreciate the amount of work that's being done on that entire system, but I feel as though there needs to be a bit more variation on single emotions. Like expressions for different levels of happiness or anger. Sweetie Belle looked ready to fuckin RIP AND TEAR all over Rarity when she forgot to hold the door, like holy shit calm down.

Then there was the part where Fluttershy trips. I get that this game is not supposed to be that serious, but fuck I just felt bad. You take the shyest, most vulnerable member of the mane six and then have a scene where they accidentally basically give an entire crowd of people a full-frontal view. To me, it seems like too much. It wasn't cute or sexy, it was just kind of sad. I was waiting for the option to be able to look away or cover her up or SOMETHING. Is something like that in the game already? It's been a few days since I've played the update so I can't be sure.

Also, since I can tell that this game is going for a simpler, more true-to-show version of Equestria and a squeaky-clean approach to sex, then I'd ask for the ability to turn off the crotch-tits. Most people don't like them, and I personally find them to be kind of gross. I'm trying to fuck a cartoon horse, not a real one. You know what I'm sayin?

And the biggest thing: this game is being pitched as kind of a dating-sim, RPG, slice-of-life simulator, right? So it's incredibly strange to me that the player-character has so much personality forced upon them before you're able to make your first dialogue choice. I've played a lot of text-based and RenPy RPGs (as I imagine many of us on F95 have), and something that really makes a game feel alive is having plenty of inconsequential dialogue options that help you sink into the world a bit more. Imagine being able to tell the Mayor that you've been to Ponyville before, or tell AJ that you remember drinking apple sauce at the coronation. Something that lets you feel as though you've actually lived in Equestria your whole life. Something that lets you really get immersed in the world.

The interaction with the Apple family is a good example of this. I imagine that giving AJ a bad first impression won't totally lock you out of her route, but it will make it a little harder right? Dialogue that can slightly alter the game experience in a way that feels earned but is mostly inconsequential adds a great deal of immersion. I think that interaction is the best part of the game right now.

Now, to Silk Wright specifically:
I don't know who you are, or what your experience is with writing fanfiction or text-based RPGs. I guess I also don't really know how much freedom Spookitty's giving you in terms of what kind of story you can write. But if you have the freedom to start adding basic game elements like more inconsequential dialogue or player-character backgrounds, I'd recommend playing at least the first few hours of a game called Disco Elysium. This is the single best text-based RPG to ever exist, second maybe only to Planescape: Torment, and was written by a professional author over the course of five years. If you want to get an idea of what truly masterful game writing feels like, then look no further.

Note that this isn't a personal judgment saying that your writing sucks or anything. Like I said, I thought this update was an improvement and a large majority of the new writing feels stronger. But Disco Elysium is the platinum, diamond-studded, smokin'-sexy-style standard for game writing. Even beyond your investment in Pony-Tale itself, I'd say it's worth reading as a masterclass in world-building and character interaction.
Thank you for the insightful response!

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I'm sure a lot of the information isn't out in the open (we make a lot of discussions regularly in patreon posts. I was just made Project Manager as of 0.3 releasing, and now we're putting out updates on a weekly basis, with new betas every 30-40 days. I can say that a number of your concerns are being addressed.

The first of which is the Main Character! We're putting forth a number of steps to help better immerse a player into the role. First and foremost, something as simple as a 'Create a Character' screen, which is really only a color-picker at this point, but it's something. (It might also be expanded far down the line, right now we need to get content out)

Second off, exactly what you talked about. A lot of the character interaction with the MC is railroaded by the amorphous player insert's personality, which is portrayed largely as curious, dopey, but otherwise empty. As of 0.4, the MC's dialogue will be more heavily influenced by player choices, via IoC selections.

Your concerns about Fluttershy (and also Applejack) are also being addressed. Both their 'lewd shots' will be removed and pushed to later into the game, where they'll make more sense contextually, rather than trying to cash on some quick and dirty groins.

SFX will also help (which we're also focusing on this work cycle) and can illustrate different things better. (Such as the fact that Sweetie Belle didn't just get the door closed on her, but it actually knocked her over into the supplies inside the shop, thus why she was so livid. She actually holds a grudge, which comes into play in the scene that we're working on at this very moment).

Past experiences won't be brought up, in order for a player to fill in the MC role better, at least not in the intro. Further interaction as you get deeper into the game WILL come into play in a variety of forms, with previous decisions impacting a large portion of what you do, from the relatively mundane to the course altering choices. (So say, yes, if you've bought tasty cider before, and AJ gives you some, you could judge it more sufficiently, etc.)

At this time, we are not enabling the ability to turn off the mammaries, but we may do so in the future. It should be relatively simple to do, I'll have to speak with Spooky and Error about its feasibility.

As for other powerful narratives, I am very glad that it was so potent! I personally will not be looking into them, just because I try to stay away from 'idea grabbing', despite what the literary industry says. Call it a personal philosophy. Parallel development is fine, inspiration is fine, but I don't want to accidentally pilfer an idea from another game. I can at the very least assure you that there's more than one professional writing VNs.

The tides are changing, the future is exciting! We'll see where it leads.

Last edited:

PRAECESSOR

Aug 4, 2017
Thank you for the insightful response!

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I'm sure a lot of the information isn't out in the open (we make a lot of discussions regularly in patreon posts. I was just made Project Manager as of 0.3 releasing, and now we're putting out updates on a weekly basis, with new betas every 30-40 days. I can say that a number of your concerns are being addressed.

The first of which is the Main Character! We're putting forth a number of steps to help better immerse a player into the role. First and foremost, something as simple as a 'Create a Character' screen, which is really only a color-picker at this point, but it's something. (It might also be expanded far down the line, right now we need to get content out)

Second off, exactly what you talked about. A lot of the character interaction with the MC is railroaded by the amorphous player insert's personality, which is portrayed largely as curious, dopey, but otherwise empty. As of 0.4, the actual speech from the MC will be taken out and replaced with exactly what you were talking about: IoC Dialogue.

Your concerns about Fluttershy (and also Applejack) are also being addressed. Both their 'lewd shots' will be removed and pushed to later into the game, where they'll make more sense contextually, rather than trying to cash on some quick and dirty groins.

SFX will also help (which we're also focusing on this work cycle) and can illustrate different things better. (Such as the fact that Sweetie Belle didn't just get the door closed on her, but it actually knocked her over into the supplies inside the shop, thus why she was so livid. She actually holds a grudge, which comes into play in the scene that we're working on at this very moment).

Past experiences won't be brought up, in order for a player to fill in the MC role better, at least not in the intro. Further interaction as you get deeper into the game WILL come into play in a variety of forms, with previous decisions impacting a large portion of what you do, from the relatively mundane to the course altering choices. (So say, yes, if you've bought tasty cider before, and AJ gives you some, you could judge it more sufficiently, etc.)

At this time, we are not enabling the ability to turn off the mammaries, but we may do so in the future. It should be relatively simple to do, I'll have to speak with Spooky and Error about its feasibility.

As for other powerful narratives, I am very glad that it was so potent! I personally will not be looking into them, just because I try to stay away from 'idea grabbing', despite what the literary industry says. Call it a personal philosophy. Parallel development is fine, inspiration is fine, but I don't want to accidentally pilfer an idea from another game. I can at the very least assure you that there's more than one professional writing VNs.

The tides are changing, the future is exciting! We'll see where it leads.
Well, that's great. Pretty much all of my concerns about the game are being actively worked on. Regarding the flashing scenes with Fluttershy and AJ, I had kind of expected something like that. I saw your earlier reply where you stated that this was a slice-of-life, romance sim first and a sex game second, but that seemed to conflict with what I saw in the demo. The best love story VNs try to be realistic before romantic, so I'm pleased to see that kind of thinking going into this game. It certainly puts you ahead of Tiarawhy's game, which is kind of a trash fire right now.

And to the point about 'idea grabbing', I don't want you to think that I just wanted you to lift things straight from that other story. I doubt that would even be possible, unless you plan on making the protagonist a drug-addicted amnesiac. My experience was that I'd see an interesting or unique way that the writer had set up the scenario, and then I'd try to compare it to my own work. What is it about the way that this author writes that evokes this kind of emotion in me? Is it possible to improve upon it? It was like looking into a mirror and being able to see where all of the weaknesses in my own writing were. It gave me a deeper understanding of the balance between description and dialogue.

That being said, I think you should just do what you want. Your game, your rules, and honestly I think you're pretty capable already. The only other suggestion that I have is to make the tone of the demo more reflective of your vision for the final game. I get that people are clamoring for sexual content, but if you gather enough support from people who are expecting a more sexual game you might feel pressured to warp your intentions. Just a thought. Good luck with the game.

Silverfan936

Nov 30, 2019
real good writing and good nsfw shots so far, and while im ok with it being more focused in story telling rather than sex scenes, I dp hope we get enough sexual content for it to be satisfying, and if its anything like the current demo than all good, this one of the few patreons ive actually considered supporting(tho I cant rn cuz im broke T~T), I wish my gal Starlight Glimmer gets more screen time tho x)

Fake Rabi ~

Oct 22, 2018
Just a question :)... Is there gonna be a public update for the latest version? I notice that there's already a 3.1 update and I just recently checked that there's already a 3.7 for the patreons (woah they work really fast)

3.70 star(s) 3 Votes