DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
What's the content like in this game. It's 0.27 but seems like it's been in development for about six years. Is there content enough to play or is it more tech demo than game. Are there any more playable characters than the four listed to begin with?
27 is the number of major versions released not a percentage number to the completion of the game, you can already consider it equivalent to a 0.9 versioning and close to completion.
3 are the original Main Characters that have the mechanics the game was based around, the 4th slot represents hundreds of other characters, some can even have their own unique mechanics.
Something similar to a Brothel King with a few-dozen girl packs installed but a consistent art style.
Combat and Exploration is a major component of the game so consider it more as a kind of Pokemon game with Breeding.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
27 is the number of major versions released not a percentage number to the completion of the game, you can already consider it equivalent to a 0.9 versioning and close to completion.
3 are the original Main Characters that have the mechanics the game was based around, the 4th slot represents hundreds of other characters, some can even have their own unique mechanics.

Combat and Exploration is a major component of the game so consider it more as a kind of Pokemon game with Breeding.
Semantic Versioning would have that actually be a Minor version. Major.Minor(.Patch(.Revision)).

Last edited:
Reactions: Evil Earthworm Jim

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
Semantic Versioning would have that actually be a Minor version. Major.Minor(.Patch(.Revision)).
0. is just that the game is not technically complete and 1.0 is expected to be released in the future.
That's what the Dev is using, I just explained what he is using.
There is no real standard when it comes to version numbers, it's up to the developer's whim.

kandur

Jul 26, 2019
I'm trying to breed Krava (lvl20) and Sylvie (lvl20) but they only produce max lvl 10 eggs. Why?

Nemo de Nemo

Jul 30, 2020
I'm trying to breed Krava (lvl20) and Sylvie (lvl20) but they only produce max lvl 10 eggs. Why?
Are you playing Free Play? If so, keep in mind that gene levle caps are tied to world hostility so to get better genes caps on your eggs, you'll need to increase your world hostility first.

Kellnaved

Jul 2, 2019
You need to increase the world level. World level is increased by finishing 80% (exploration and defeating enemy parties) of "regular" portals with high enough hostility.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
...you can already consider it equivalent to a 0.9 versioning and close to completion.
0. is just that the game is not technically complete and 1.0 is expected to be released in the future.
That's what the Dev is using, I just explained what he is using.
0.27 is a long way off from 1.0. Barely 1/4 the way. I wouldn't see that anywhere near close to completion.
There is no real standard when it comes to version numbers.
SemVer exists (is real) and is a standard for version numbers. Perhaps you instead meant there's no universally-accepted standard. While it is up to a developer which versioning scheme (if any) they wish to use it's been de facto a minimum to use Major.Minor for decades.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
0.27 is a long way off from 1.0. Barely 1/4 the way. I wouldn't see that anywhere near close to completion.
Do you have any comprehension to the things that I said? It's not a percentage, 27 is the NUMBER of major releases.
The developer himself said the game is close to completion.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
Do you have any comprehension to the things that I said? It's not a percentage, 27 is the NUMBER of major releases.
The developer himself said the game is close to completion.
I did comprehend what you said. 0.27 is far away from 1.0, 0.73 to be exact, so unless each "Major" as you're saying the developer's calling it suddenly starts jumping by more than 0.01 then there are at least 0.73 "Major" releases to go. Considering the pace of the game, no, that's a looong way out. Only way your "1.0 is complete" and "close to completion" would be on spot would be the developer just jumping to a 1.0 release and calling it done. Nothing you said indicated that is happening.

Sep 23, 2021
I did comprehend what you said. 0.27 is far away from 1.0, 0.73 to be exact, so unless each "Major" as you're saying the developer's calling it suddenly starts jumping by more than 0.01 then there are at least 0.73 "Major" releases to go. Considering the pace of the game, no, that's a looong way out. Only way your "1.0 is complete" and "close to completion" would be on spot would be the developer just jumping to a 1.0 release and calling it done. Nothing you said indicated that is happening.
Just consider it Chapter 27 instead of 27/100 then, I don't think people care how many chapters a book have. There are also the discord on the OP that is active (Dev too) that you can fact check, instead of using the search function at the top of the page and blindly trusting what we replied to said question many other time. By going to the source, you would cut out misinformation from the middle, sparing the extra argument.

PixelLewd

Jan 31, 2022
Have you never seen a dev who only uses the version numbers as a denotation of how many releases they've had? Cause that's all it is in this case, there have been 27 major releases of PoP, not counting bugfixes and such, so in this case its not being used as a progress number/model as much as its simply there to count how many versions have been released thus far

Reactions: DuniX

MasterN64

Apr 29, 2020
There is literally *nothing* meaningful behind version numbers aside from whatever the dev wants to make them to keep the progress of the game organized for themselves. Someone can jump from .27 straight to 1.0 if they want. Or go from .27 to .465 to .3927. Or go from .27 to apple pie to howitzer. None of it has any meaning on how finished the game is since someone can literally have a pre alpha at version .9 and totally ignore the rest of the numbers beforehand or do the opposite. They also dont have to call 1.0 release even if its common practice. Its just a number. It doesnt mean anything.

The game is done when they say it is done and it doesnt matter what version they are on when they call it 1.0 or what scheme they used to track versions beforehand. The entire concept is just an arbitrary system to organize things.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
Have you never seen a dev who only uses the version numbers as a denotation of how many releases they've had? Cause that's all it is in this case, there have been 27 major releases of PoP, not counting bugfixes and such, so in this case its not being used as a progress number/model as much as its simply there to count how many versions have been released thus far
I've been around for a long time, yes, I've seen developers simply count even in whole numbers. I agreed that developers can use their own versioning standards. The other poster was just dropping "0.27.0.1 is next to completion" where there's nothing to explain how it is next to completion except them saying the developer said so. The discontinuity between version numbering and their wording was never laid out. That was the issue.

PixelLewd

Jan 31, 2022
I've been around for a long time, yes, I've seen developers simply count even in whole numbers. I agreed that developers can use their own versioning standards. The other poster was just dropping "0.27.0.1 is next to completion" where there's nothing to explain how it is next to completion except them saying the developer said so. The discontinuity between version numbering and their wording was never laid out. That was the issue.
Understandable I guess, but at least now you know that yes, despite it being 0.27.0.1, the game is indeed "Next to Completion", whenever Syv decides that is. Cause the game DOES have a completed story and loop, only reason it hasn't been marked as completed or released, is that the dev has kept wanting to either add more events, art, or characters, or sometimes has reworked or improved certain mechanics if not added new ones

Jinsem

Jul 31, 2017
I am not too sure what is missing in this game, I consider it complete. For me since 0.16.xx the game has been more like a DLC release till now, well I started playing from 0.15.xx, this is a game you can start and beat it (meaning complete the intended gameplay)
for me this is more of tweaks, expansion etc releases of a completed game, the dev may say its not complete because they still want to add more, but from a consumer point of view I am not sure how we can say something that plays and reach an intended ending is not complete.

Of-course it doesn't matter too much if its v1.0 or v0.00000000001, how many devs release not even v1.0 but v6.xx and still have obvious dead ends in their games? games that will barely have anything at all? storylines going nowhere?

This is one of the very few devs that are simply brilliant, even if you are not into the type of games he makes, how often do you find devs who write a character finish it, then add another finish it, story line complete, instead of giving us updates where the story line never even gets touched for the next 5 years, instead we get stuck at things like, we added character A, 6 months later we changed the panties of character A, a year later we fixed a bug where panties of character A were not showing, 2 years later you can now meet character A at the toilet, a year later character A is removed altogether:sleep:, storyline dololo.

Portals is one of those games you barely if ever find areas with placeholders, WIP, not yet implemented, or gets cut with a text that goes, please join us on patreon for the next update, you even get NG+ here in order for you to beat the game again, if that's not complete enough I don't know what is.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
Only way your "1.0 is complete" and "close to completion" would be on spot would be the developer just jumping to a 1.0 release and calling it done.
That's literally what is going to happen, there are a few releases left until the developer considered it 1.0.
Nothing you said indicated that is happening.
The fucking developer said that, he ultimately gets to decide when the game is 1.0 complete.
The game was already functionally complete a long time ago.

Kellnaved

Jul 2, 2019
I am not too sure what is missing in this game, I consider it complete. For me since 0.16.xx the game has been more like a DLC release till now, well I started playing from 0.15.xx, this is a game you can start and beat it (meaning complete the intended gameplay)
for me this is more of tweaks, expansion etc releases of a completed game, the dev may say its not complete because they still want to add more, but from a consumer point of view I am not sure how we can say something that plays and reach an intended ending is not complete.

Of-course it doesn't matter too much if its v1.0 or v0.00000000001, how many devs release not even v1.0 but v6.xx and still have obvious dead ends in their games? games that will barely have anything at all? storylines going nowhere?

This is one of the very few devs that are simply brilliant, even if you are not into the type of games he makes, how often do you find devs who write a character finish it, then add another finish it, story line complete, instead of giving us updates where the story line never even gets touched for the next 5 years, instead we get stuck at things like, we added character A, 6 months later we changed the panties of character A, a year later we fixed a bug where panties of character A were not showing, 2 years later you can now meet character A at the toilet, a year later character A is removed altogether:sleep:, storyline dololo.

Portals is one of those games you barely if ever find areas with placeholders, WIP, not yet implemented, or gets cut with a text that goes, please join us on patreon for the next update, you even get NG+ here in order for you to beat the game again, if that's not complete enough I don't know what is.
Well they game could be considered finished.

Of course developing all the unique characters like Avy & Co would be a great thing he could still do. Giving all (or many) of the uniques their own quest(s), giving them events, more unique scenes during dating, mabye even some unique items. Items in the game could also use an update. There aren´t that many to beginn with, their could be "set items". Their could be more Town NPCs and or the existing ones could be flashed out more with again more quests / events etc.

Then he could add more town locations / activities and improve some like the brothel (more options, special upgrades, EVENTS at the brothel, more interaction with the girls there etc.) Same for "HOME" more improvment options maybe make some exklusive with others / depending on reputation etc.

And then of course there is the potential for a lot of rebalancing still. The base species perks are very weakly balanced with some of them very strong and some very weak. Same with the essences (incl. starter essences).

So there is immense potential for improvment still.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
Of course developing all the unique characters like Avy & Co would be a great thing he could still do. Giving all (or many) of the uniques their own quest(s), giving them events, more unique scenes during dating, mabye even some unique items.
They have their own game in the Succubus Game, I think we will see more there, there is not much point in this game.
Items in the game could also use an update. There aren´t that many to beginn with, their could be "set items". Their could be more Town NPCs and or the existing ones could be flashed out more with again more quests / events etc.
Items are already pretty good with the scaling changes, they have a purpose and they are pretty balanced already.
Even if there is a 1.0 version I still think the dev will not help themselves in adding new events and stuff.

But in terms of mechanics I don't see what much more can be done. Right now it's just reworking things for the sake of reworking.

Really the only major change is if the developer decided to make the UI more slick and repackage the game to be released on Steam.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
That's literally what is going to happen, there are a few releases left until the developer considered it 1.0.

The fucking developer said that, he ultimately gets to decide when the game is 1.0 complete.
The game was already functionally complete a long time ago.
I said you didn't explain the version scheme and how *it* relates to completeness. Read it again if you need.

4.10 star(s) 79 Votes