Valaska

[PFF: Avarice Dev]
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Hello! TDD Team member here, it's been a long time since I posted... Once? Kinda feel bad about lurking all that time but thank you guys for the attention and discussing out project! It means a ton to us to see people responding.

Baldur's Gape?

Planescape: Whorement?

..yeah I got nothing
You got plenty good sir! I find your comment most... Punny. Aha-ha... Yeah I got nothing either...

Haha, yea. If the guy really wants to finish it he should take advantage of crowdfunding that wasn't around when he first started. He stopped cuz it wasn't paying the bills as far as I can tell. Well it should be able to now if he goes about it right!
Definitely a good suggestion, but we wanted to have at least a bare bones example that we were following through vs a bunch of development blogs showing what we 'could' have in the future. The mechanics and such of the game were pushed out in slightly over a month while we were still evolving and deciding what could and couldn't work.

It'll be a bit of a journey yet of course, though generally we have a good idea of that direction we need to take on several features and mechanics. I'm not involved in the PFF comic itself, though Arbuz has said he's been giving it sometime to think further ahead in the plot! So don't count it for dead just yet.

I would prefer if that were the case because I only play female characters, otherwise it's another good-looking game down the drain. Since this is an RPG it would make sense to have both genders available but if the conversations in this thread are to be believed, this project may never even see the light at the end of the tunnel. Forever vaporware.
Ahh, I'm sorry that we aren't catering to this and I do agree that a female lead or option would be pretty interesting. Even if it were just a sprite swap and custom CG's as I don't really see the need to edit too much text to portray a female character. I've always found it odd the way a lot of projects handle female characters like another poster pointed out (don't want to embed too many quotes!) here.

It may catch a little flack but I very much enjoy the way BioWare handled female characters in the Dragon Age and Mass Effect universe. They have differences in the ways others interact with them but largely by the by are the same content. Except with romantic trysts and such.

I can unfortunately confirm for you at least for the foreseeable future there is no female lead planned. With the sheer amount of assets and development to do right now we are focusing towards what we have on the planning board currently. Though could this change in the future with sprite swaps and some dialogue additions/exemptions here and there? I won't say never, as I feel once the vast majority of the story and such is actually written down in JSON we may find it not such a large task to adapt the bits that would be needed for a female lead. In dialogue that is, it would still be a large amount of art assets.

We'll certainly discuss it internally and the team fully welcomes your input here, directly to the team in our discord, or wherever you can reach us!

Was curious about that one, are there enough lewds in its current version?
Currently there's only the one scene with the companion the entire tech demo is centered around. This version is in its heart a bare bones example of the lines we will be moving the project towards. A lot of the project was fast tracked to meet (by a day late, sorry!) the deadline we had set including the rough state current world dialogue was in. There's been a complete overhaul on dialogue for instance and formatting should look quite a lot like classic/modern text based RPG's such as Baldurs Gate 2, Shadow Run DMS, Shadow Run Dragonfall, ShadowRun Hong Kong...

You can probably guess I am a fan of shadow run.

Anywho! I hope to hear more from you guys in the future but its off to writing our upcoming second companion quest alongside SomeKindofWizard! It'll have a bit more going on in it as the new characters personality and motivations are quite abit different than Samara, but expect some (very large) amounts of love and attention to Samara in the next update.

I look forward to keeping in touch with you guys and answering questions. Thanks again from the entirety of TDD and a belated happy new year!

ponyguy

Engaged Member
Respected User
Feb 12, 2017
such as Baldurs Gate 2, Shadow Run DMS, Shadow Run Dragonfall, ShadowRun Hong Kong...

What? No. Didn't get that impression at all. :p

Reapergod36

Jun 23, 2017
Was curious about that one, are there enough lewds in its current version?
Yes, problem is the person making it keeps updating it and saves aren't compatible with new versions as far as I can tell. So you have to re-play every time you want to experience the new content. To be fair it's a good problem to have when a creator keeps creating new content so it's hard to keep up.

Reactions: mesoru and ponyguy

ponyguy

Engaged Member
Respected User
Feb 12, 2017
Yes, problem is the person making it keeps updating it and saves aren't compatible with new versions as far as I can tell. So you have to re-play every time you want to experience the new content. To be fair it's a good problem to have when a creator keeps creating new content so it's hard to keep up.
Ah, so there's more CG? Great. Been a while since I last played so I was wondering if there was new shit.
I suppose I could've just asked Pervy himself on ULMF, but oh well. Hindsight. Besides, there's more important things to talk about when we chat there. :p

Infamy

Engaged Member
Sep 25, 2016
Hello! TDD Team member here, it's been a long time since I posted... Once? Kinda feel bad about lurking all that time but thank you guys for the attention and discussing out project! It means a ton to us to see people responding.

You got plenty good sir! I find your comment most... Punny. Aha-ha... Yeah I got nothing either...

Definitely a good suggestion, but we wanted to have at least a bare bones example that we were following through vs a bunch of development blogs showing what we 'could' have in the future. The mechanics and such of the game were pushed out in slightly over a month while we were still evolving and deciding what could and couldn't work.

It'll be a bit of a journey yet of course, though generally we have a good idea of that direction we need to take on several features and mechanics. I'm not involved in the PFF comic itself, though Arbuz has said he's been giving it sometime to think further ahead in the plot! So don't count it for dead just yet.

Ahh, I'm sorry that we aren't catering to this and I do agree that a female lead or option would be pretty interesting. Even if it were just a sprite swap and custom CG's as I don't really see the need to edit too much text to portray a female character. I've always found it odd the way a lot of projects handle female characters like another poster pointed out (don't want to embed too many quotes!) here.

It may catch a little flack but I very much enjoy the way BioWare handled female characters in the Dragon Age and Mass Effect universe. They have differences in the ways others interact with them but largely by the by are the same content. Except with romantic trysts and such.

I can unfortunately confirm for you at least for the foreseeable future there is no female lead planned. With the sheer amount of assets and development to do right now we are focusing towards what we have on the planning board currently. Though could this change in the future with sprite swaps and some dialogue additions/exemptions here and there? I won't say never, as I feel once the vast majority of the story and such is actually written down in JSON we may find it not such a large task to adapt the bits that would be needed for a female lead. In dialogue that is, it would still be a large amount of art assets.

We'll certainly discuss it internally and the team fully welcomes your input here, directly to the team in our discord, or wherever you can reach us!

Currently there's only the one scene with the companion the entire tech demo is centered around. This version is in its heart a bare bones example of the lines we will be moving the project towards. A lot of the project was fast tracked to meet (by a day late, sorry!) the deadline we had set including the rough state current world dialogue was in. There's been a complete overhaul on dialogue for instance and formatting should look quite a lot like classic/modern text based RPG's such as Baldurs Gate 2, Shadow Run DMS, Shadow Run Dragonfall, ShadowRun Hong Kong...

Anywho! I hope to hear more from you guys in the future but its off to writing our upcoming second companion quest alongside SomeKindofWizard! It'll have a bit more going on in it as the new characters personality and motivations are quite abit different than Samara, but expect some (very large) amounts of love and attention to Samara in the next update.

I look forward to keeping in touch with you guys and answering questions. Thanks again from the entirety of TDD and a belated happy new year!

Ok so if you are a team member let me ask

1. Will we have the issues like in the comic were a storyline is seemingly developing only to be inexpicably dropped and the story remains directionless for awhile only to do the same thing.

2. How much Lady Wolf will we see because in the comic she is by FAR the most intresting character yet she is under used as hell.

3. Will we get to do the female (Troll? Maybe) Gaurd Captain.

Reactions: lBaltazar

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Ok so if you are a team member let me ask

1. Will we have the issues like in the comic were a storyline is seemingly developing only to be inexpicably dropped and the story remains directionless for awhile only to do the same thing.

2. How much Lady Wolf will we see because in the comic she is by FAR the most intresting character yet she is under used as hell.

3. Will we get to do the female (Troll? Maybe) Gaurd Captain.
Well, for your first question I honestly can't delve too much into PFF. I know general the direction Arbuz wants to take it and that he has refactored and re-planned the story out. I don't feel that it has dropped any development and has been a pretty decent pace where its is at now. All I have said is more or less public knowledge, anything I know further and deeper into it that he's either told me or I've helped him with world building will have to be made public by the A-Bomb himself through either his tumblr or the comic.

I won't confirm whether or not Lady Wolf herself will make an appearance in Avarice. Though, she is certainly an extremely enjoyable character in this universe.

The Ogre guard captain Ko'Osh will not have been born yet in the time period Avarice will be set. This is nearly a century in the past and will show a lot about how Kaldea and Atlathka became what they are in the current worldline of PFF's comic. The game will mainly take place in Kaldea, where Atlathka is to the south east of Kaldea. There will be a lot of focus on the influence and power of Atlathka and how it affects the region at large.

Ah, so there's more CG? Great. Been a while since I last played so I was wondering if there was new shit.
I suppose I could've just asked Pervy himself on ULMF, but oh well. Hindsight. Besides, there's more important things to talk about when we chat there. :p
Oh! Ah not yet, there's just one at the moment! But yeah I believe Arbuz is going to be the one on ULMF. He won't be as active as I would. Honestly I will be responding to forum posts I've noticed on forums like this, and the others I've posted in whenever I need a bit of a break from writing.

We will certainly have quite a few lewd scenes to come. There will be multiple with each companion, there will be NPC's you are able to talk to in the world and build relationships or have a quest related scene... We're even going to have a brothel but the plans for the brothel haven't been fully laid yet as to what will be happening there! But it wouldn't be irrational to expect a few lewd CG's or even sprites.

Saves aren't the most working thing right now and there will be a gallery mode in the next update. Though, our next update will have a total of two CG's as currently planned. That's the plan at the moment anyways, there will be a minimum of one new scene added in the next update and it is the scene I am currently writing. SomeKindofWizard will be writing another scene and she's actually done a pass on Samara's dialogue in world and I will be doing a pass on the lewd scene dialogue she wrote.

It's a lot of work and I thank you guys for the distraction! Honestly sometimes you just need to look away for a few moments to recharge the creative battery juices flow type, thing, in your brain case.

Reactions: ponyguy

ponyguy

Engaged Member
Respected User
Feb 12, 2017
Oh! Ah not yet, there's just one at the moment! But yeah I believe Arbuz is going to be the one on ULMF. He won't be as active as I would. Honestly I will be responding to forum posts I've noticed on forums like this, and the others I've posted in whenever I need a bit of a break from writing.

We will certainly have quite a few lewd scenes to come. There will be multiple with each companion, there will be NPC's you are able to talk to in the world and build relationships or have a quest related scene... We're even going to have a brothel but the plans for the brothel haven't been fully laid yet as to what will be happening there! But it wouldn't be irrational to expect a few lewd CG's or even sprites.

Saves aren't the most working thing right now and there will be a gallery mode in the next update. Though, our next update will have a total of two CG's as currently planned. That's the plan at the moment anyways, there will be a minimum of one new scene added in the next update and it is the scene I am currently writing. SomeKindofWizard will be writing another scene and she's actually done a pass on Samara's dialogue in world and I will be doing a pass on the lewd scene dialogue she wrote.

It's a lot of work and I thank you guys for the distraction! Honestly sometimes you just need to look away for a few moments to recharge the creative battery juices flow type, thing, in your brain case.
Whoops. Sorry. We were talking about a different game.
But thanks for the info though. You actually told me quite a few things I wanted to know. Glad to hear there will be plenty of lewd scenes. And a brothel too? Lovely. Looking forward to future updates even more now. I wish you luck and hope everything goes well.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Whew been a tad busy lately, myself facing a short bought of writers block on one dialogue but in general its been an extremely productive bit of time between the last time I posted here. We've pushed out our first Patron build and this brought with it the new and highest voted Companion, Hiho.

She brings her companion quest of course, which is virtually complete we were a bit behind on art assets but it was a planned lag and once art assets are done we can simply socket in the art assets and presto it will be completed. She also brings her lewd scene as well for those of you into lewd games... Comes complete with degenerate hand holding.

Along with Hiho's quest and assets we have a great deal of new sprites added to liven up the town which all have yet to be animated (all sprites in the game WILL be animated btw) but is a decent example of what we plan locations to look like population wise. We've also begun the framework for the relationship and impact system where what you do will change the companions interactions with you as well as supporting characters etc. Your decisions will have an affect on how the people of this world see you.

The main narrative isn't being introduced yet which will take you and your chosen party on quite the ordeal... I have actually foreshadowed a bit of whats to come in Hiho's quest if you take certain choices. We won't see the narrative in the next update though, we are looking to polish and fix up all current content. Which brings me to the future.

Future Plans and Developments.

We've seen a lot of work on this. From a block system for quests that have multiple steps that can be done in any order or a set of rigid steps, to a bespoke and custom tailored node based dialogue editor and new music loops for our OST. Our back end is taking some massive steps towards more steady and stable development, empowering us writers to iterate and push forward faster. We also saw the Patron vote between the next lewd scene to be added along with Verona.

Aya will be our peppy little professional monster slayer which you can partake in a contest with will be sharing her update with Verona, Nathan's saucy cook. They will be our first two minor character lewd scenes using a mixture of half bodies and then fully animated CG's. Check on us here if you want;

For some images and such on the new node system, Aya, and later a sneak peak on the lewd scenes to come up.

ponyguy

Engaged Member
Respected User
Feb 12, 2017
Whew been a tad busy lately, myself facing a short bought of writers block on one dialogue but in general its been an extremely productive bit of time between the last time I posted here. We've pushed out our first Patron build and this brought with it the new and highest voted Companion, Hiho.

She brings her companion quest of course, which is virtually complete we were a bit behind on art assets but it was a planned lag and once art assets are done we can simply socket in the art assets and presto it will be completed. She also brings her lewd scene as well for those of you into lewd games... Comes complete with degenerate hand holding.

Along with Hiho's quest and assets we have a great deal of new sprites added to liven up the town which all have yet to be animated (all sprites in the game WILL be animated btw) but is a decent example of what we plan locations to look like population wise. We've also begun the framework for the relationship and impact system where what you do will change the companions interactions with you as well as supporting characters etc. Your decisions will have an affect on how the people of this world see you.

The main narrative isn't being introduced yet which will take you and your chosen party on quite the ordeal... I have actually foreshadowed a bit of whats to come in Hiho's quest if you take certain choices. We won't see the narrative in the next update though, we are looking to polish and fix up all current content. Which brings me to the future.

Future Plans and Developments.

We've seen a lot of work on this. From a block system for quests that have multiple steps that can be done in any order or a set of rigid steps, to a bespoke and custom tailored node based dialogue editor and new music loops for our OST. Our back end is taking some massive steps towards more steady and stable development, empowering us writers to iterate and push forward faster. We also saw the Patron vote between the next lewd scene to be added along with Verona.

Aya will be our peppy little professional monster slayer which you can partake in a contest with will be sharing her update with Verona, Nathan's saucy cook. They will be our first two minor character lewd scenes using a mixture of half bodies and then fully animated CG's. Check on us here if you want;

For some images and such on the new node system, Aya, and later a sneak peak on the lewd scenes to come up.
Woo! Sexy snek lady!
The Patrons voted wisely.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Woo! Sexy snek lady!
The Patrons voted wisely.
Haha rightfully so eh? Hiho is going to definitely be one of my major focuses in this game narrative wise, she'll be a multifaceted character how I handle her and one where the player can have a lot of effect on how she comes to see the main character. Having her in the party is going to open up a lot of intellectual options for problem solving as she will definitely be the brainiest out of the main cast ensemble. A bit on the timid and passive side at first, but if she sets her mind to something she is an indomitable force of iron willpower.

But, unfortunately for Hiho, her timid nature can mean she lacks the drive to initiate and make the first move. I am planning some nifty stuff with the main narrative and her ability to rationalize, analyze, and read a situation. The player can simply bulldoze and ignore her which will have a massive affect on how Hiho will play out in the game, or you can listen and empower her. Exactly how we'll get these things working will be a bit of a tricky situation, but with our new node based dialogue system it will mean less for our programmer to worry about and share the workload on us.

Also if you would like to see a sexy Legged Snek gal in the next update, or mature harpy woman check out our patreon. This was the last vote's winner (left) and the girl she'll be sharing the next update with, Verona. Our saucy cook.

tumblr_p47jtxZ7IA1s9w52zo1_1280.jpg

She won out our last vote which included Aya, Margo, Tiss, and Ko'Moon.
poll-girls.png

Oh and if you would like to see some of our development stuff check these out! Our node system, rigging, and animated props!

Dialogue Nodes.jpg ezgif-5-2ee3069bca.gif tumblr_inline_p3e4l9ojDR1rifkeq_1280.jpg

ponyguy

Engaged Member
Respected User
Feb 12, 2017
Haha rightfully so eh? Hiho is going to definitely be one of my major focuses in this game narrative wise, she'll be a multifaceted character how I handle her and one where the player can have a lot of effect on how she comes to see the main character. Having her in the party is going to open up a lot of intellectual options for problem solving as she will definitely be the brainiest out of the main cast ensemble. A bit on the timid and passive side at first, but if she sets her mind to something she is an indomitable force of iron willpower.

But, unfortunately for Hiho, her timid nature can mean she lacks the drive to initiate and make the first move. I am planning some nifty stuff with the main narrative and her ability to rationalize, analyze, and read a situation. The player can simply bulldoze and ignore her which will have a massive affect on how Hiho will play out in the game, or you can listen and empower her. Exactly how we'll get these things working will be a bit of a tricky situation, but with our new node based dialogue system it will mean less for our programmer to worry about and share the workload on us.

Also if you would like to see a sexy Legged Snek gal in the next update, or mature harpy woman check out our patreon. This was the last vote's winner (left) and the girl she'll be sharing the next update with, Verona. Our saucy cook.

View attachment 69179

She won out our last vote which included Aya, Margo, Tiss, and Ko'Moon.
View attachment 69176
Brainiest out of the cast?
Sexy nerd snek lady. Even better. :heartcoveredeyes:

Heh. ''Saucy'' cook. :p

Oh and if you would like to see some of our development stuff check these out! Our node system, rigging, and animated props!

View attachment 69177 View attachment 69178 View attachment 69180
Already checked those out on the twitter you linked. Loving what I'm seeing so far.

Reactions: Valaska

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Brainiest out of the cast?
Sexy nerd snek lady. Even better. :heartcoveredeyes:

Heh. ''Saucy'' cook. :p

Already checked those out on the twitter you linked. Loving what I'm seeing so far.
Some people find my sense of humor... Punishing.

And yeah Hiho is definitely a fleshed out character so far and I am looking to doing more with her and more characters like her. This is her dialogue tree alone;

And that's just for now with this one little introductions quest. It doesn't include when she chimes in on Samara's quest, or dialogues with other NPC's we already have haha. There's a few dead ends in her tree atm as other content is needed, but you won't see these dead ends and they don't affect the companion quest as it is.

Later in the future with the relationship mechanic and these dialogue tree's I'll be able to make small changes based on how a character views you. They won't affect every single conversion window etc but they will actually make multiple situations play out differently. So the effects of your standing with characters will matter and we will have more than just one companion quest for each of them in the future which will be opportunities to salvage your heck ups.

Even having other characters along for the ride will have an effect on their standing with you for certain situations... This won't be like Fallout where every freaking action for no apparent reason ticks someone off and its impossible to have a good rapport with everyone at once... I am attempting to keep things reasonable.

A minor spoiler to Hiho for instance, if you end up paying a full freakin' silver coin (its literally worded similar to that hah) for a payoff in the quest Hiho may not mind and it will make her standing go up... But Samara, a very "money conscious" gal will get a bit perturbed at you dropping a full silver coin for something she see's as superfluous. But in the most Samara is just happy to be along for the ride and unless something seriously runs contrary to that characters whole archetype, they won't be upset.

Pro-Tip, don't be a murder/threat happy jerk if you want Hiho to like you haha.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Anyone got the latest update?
We've just released Patron Release 3, so 2 will be publicly available at the moment. Aya and Verona were added into the game as per my last post! Not much more done combat wise yet but big plans on that coming in the future.

Public Test 2 should be available soon, and as soon as its uploaded (Hiho is introduced in #2) I'll post up the link here. I won't paste our patron one for obvious reasons hah, but unfortunately I can't stop someone else from doing so either. I'll poke you all with the public update plus a small rundown on what is in Patron 3 and what will be in Patron 4; However, Patron 3 was mostly us working on backend issues and features for the team.

Valaska

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2017
Public Test Build 1: (No updates just yet! Sorry)
Patron Build 2: (Aya & Verona)

Patron Build 2
(forgive Paint.net's magic tool, leaves some of the white on for some reason! But ONE of these girl's don't mind)
Aya & Verona.png

It's a tinge light of an update, unless what you were looking for was two brand new lewd scenes! Veron's Saucy Cook and Aya's Monster Gambit dialogue & quest are currently available. These two gals were shown above and can be accessed through a quest where you need to wager and kill more monster than the other, or by being sneaky enough to get back into the kitchen after you've made a name for yourself in Kaldea! (Aka, complete a companions quest)

What we have done which was pretty large was prep and begin utilizing our brand new node based dialogue editor I imaged above! It took the girth of our programming resources and should increase the quality of our writing from this point on by quite a bit! Give it a whirl with Aya and Verona and see if we've improved.

Patron Build 3 Roadmap

We have a bunch in store for whats coming in Patron Build 3, we'll be adding in the brothel and you can vote right now which girl will be featured first! Our next lewd scene with be with one of these lovely ladies,

• Nailah the exotic nubian jackal girl from deep in the Redlands. Her oratory skill is only matched by her oral skills otherwise, women mastered in the pleasure arts such as her come rarely... and at high cost.
  • Terri, formerly a farmers daughter who got well sick of the farmlife, though finds herself unfortunately running the bulk of the Brothels errands and such as the new girl. Oh, and tan lines.
  • Katie, a plucky little scrapper who takes a measure of joy in her work. She's a veteran of the house and has served jovially for quite sometime.

brothel-girls.png

If you'd like to vote on your favorite you'll need our $5 and up patron, or just shout at me here. It might not do much for this vote of course but we'll take into consideration if we should consider the others as well. Programming wise we have a little work to do so we writers can generate JSON's on our own for the node editor rather than creating a JSON and then adding it too the tree.

Combat will be a big part of our focus for Patron 3, its a lot of work to get it right so hopefully we'll be able to get it in for said update as well but it may delay into Patron 4 to get our combat system to what we want it to be. A big thing with this combat will be getting the UI to be very presentable and polished, and of course make it fun & challenging. Here's an early concept from way back in development, much has changed from it but it gets a feel for some of what we're doing.

combar1-cheat.png

The enemy AI are the ones who use the card deck, there's bee A LOT of confusion about haha. They will get a deck at the beginning of combat which we are thinking will flash briefly for about 3-5 seconds so you can see what the first AI hand will be like, this will allow you to see and briefly prepare for the upcoming onslaught by the AI. Several monsters and enemies will have their own unique special attack cards... While bosses will have radically unique cards.

It's an interesting bit to work into an AI for a game but we think it has a lot of potential. In general these are some points we want to touch on in our near future. Note the majority of these probably aren't in the next update of course, and I have generally written in the jist of mechanics we want in priority order.

• Node Dialogue 2.0
  • Combat Mechanics
  • Combat AI Decks
  • Inventory System
  • Fully Animated NPC Sprites
  • Relationship Tracking
  • Tarot Reader (Tells you stats etc)
  • Game Introduction (With CG)
On our "Maybe?" list we have these.
  • Environment Hazards
  • Multiple Outfits
  • Stealth/Sneak options
Not too sure if we want to actually work on these just yet. We've bounced the idea around for these options and even have a little gimmick in to show us if we want to work on a detection/sneak mechanic. These are all very theoretical. Nothing too crazy yet but we'll see where we get with this list. Also expect more music to come!

4.10 star(s) 34 Votes