4.40 star(s) 5 Votes

DarkFernando

Jul 18, 2020
I'd recommend the Quest 2 aswell. And an Nvidia GPU (at least a 3060Ti), because it has NVENC encoder, which is better than AMD's AMF. Also, Virtual Desktop gives better support for Nvidia.
I have an RTX3050-Ryzen 7, i hope it´s enought as i won´t upgrade it anytime soon :HideThePain:

Last edited:

Viixby

Dec 19, 2019
I have an RTX3050-Ryzen 7, i hope it´s enought as i won´t upgrade it anytime soon :HideThePain:

The RTX 3050 Laptop GPU will struggle running most VR titles, but it's possible. (It's 33% slower than the desktop version).
The desktop RTX 3050 isn't "labeled" as the recommended VR ready, though many users have reported it's fine for 90% of VR games.
It does technically beat out the "minimum" GPU for VR though. You should be fine aside from really unoptimized titles or high graphics titles like Half Life: Alyx.

I just checked VR gameplay videos with performance charts myself out of curiosity. If your PC is a desktop, not a laptop, then you will run all VR games just fine! Even Half Life: Alyx (The hardest to run VR game).
Just don't max out settings in every single VR game.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkFernando

DarkFernando

Jul 18, 2020

The RTX 3050 Laptop GPU will struggle running most VR titles, but it's possible. (It's 33% slower than the desktop version).
The desktop RTX 3050 isn't "labeled" as the recommended VR ready, though many users have reported it's fine for 90% of VR games.
It does technically beat out the "minimum" GPU for VR though. You should be fine aside from really unoptimized titles or high graphics titles like Half Life: Alyx.

I just checked VR gameplay videos with performance charts myself out of curiosity. If your PC is a desktop, not a laptop, then you will run all VR games just fine! Even Half Life: Alyx (The hardest to run VR game).
Just don't max out settings in every single VR game.
Now is when i say i have a laptop. :HideThePain: (Played almost every high-requirement games on high settings without problem till now tho. )

Was looking forward to try Alyx to be said.. only game i heard is worth playing on VR.

Viixby

Dec 19, 2019
Now is when i say i have a laptop. :HideThePain: (Played almost every high-requirement games on high settings without problem till now tho. )

Was looking forward to try Alyx to be said.. only game i heard is worth playing on VR.
I did some more research on weak GPU's and VR.
You should be able to get away with your laptop 3050, people were able to use GTX 1060s for all VR games but a few. The 3050 is similar in power but is more up to date and efficient for VR, meaning you can at least be certain connecting your VR to your laptop will be doable. It's possible you'll have to lower settings on some of the highest graphics VR games.

• Red Heart

kraoro

Jul 9, 2017
I was playing VR on a 1660ti, and I imagine even a laptop 3050 would be better. There a lot of great vr games, some of which shouldn't be too demanding. I think even a heavily modded Skyrim vr game might run.

Reactions: catsdino

Viixby

Dec 19, 2019
I was playing VR on a 1660ti, and I imagine even a laptop 3050 would be better. There a lot of great vr games, some of which shouldn't be too demanding. I think even a heavily modded Skyrim vr game might run.
Your 1660ti is like 35% faster than an RTX 3050(Laptop), those old cards still pump out power!
Your card is about equal to a normal RTX 3050, still a little better than that even, but you're right they should be okay regardless.

Notably the RTX 3050(laptop) only has 4GB of VRAM, though some Dell laptops apparently have some 6GB versions, though they are slightly slower just higher capacity so it's a trade-off. They end up having about the same capabilities.

DarkFernando

Jul 18, 2020
Your 1660ti is like 35% faster than an RTX 3050(Laptop), those old cards still pump out power!
Your card is about equal to a normal RTX 3050, still a little better than that even, but you're right they should be okay regardless.

Notably the RTX 3050(laptop) only has 4GB of VRAM, though some Dell laptops apparently have some 6GB versions, though they are slightly slower just higher capacity so it's a trade-off. They end up having about the same capabilities.
I was checking theVRAM because i remember focusing the search on this when got the laptop.
Thought i had at least 4GB like you said but surprisingly it showing me only 2... :HideThePain:

Idk if somehow is blocked or something but this is what it says.
1712488809994.png

Despite is on spanish the yellow mark shows where VRAM information should be displayed and is not what i was expecting.. :WaitWhat:

Last edited:

Viixby

Dec 19, 2019
I was checking theVRAM because i remember focusing the search on this when got the laptop.
Thought i had at least 4GB like you said but surprisingly it showing me only 2... :HideThePain:

Idk if somehow is blocked or something but this is what it says.
View attachment 3518581

Despite is on spanish the yellow mark shows where VRAM information should be displayed and is not what i was expecting.. :WaitWhat:
Do you have GeForce Experience (Nvidia App) try seeing what it says in there. (This is the app you go to, in order to update your graphics card drivers).
Try updating if you haven't in a while, but also go to Settings, somewhere in there you should see your PC specs, see if that shows the graphics card name and stuff just to make sure.

I also did some more research for you with the RTX 3050 and Oculus Quest 2 and it seems there's a lot of issues between the two, as RTX 3050 is not supported by Oculus. It's possible to play VR on the RTX 3050, using "Virtual Desktop" (A VERY popular VR software).

My advice:
You can always get the Oculus Quest 2 and use it standalone, until you get an upgrade, meanwhile you can try getting it to run on Virtual Desktop and see how it performs and do an Amazon Return if you can't get it going good within a day or two.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart

DarkFernando

Jul 18, 2020
Do you have GeForce Experience (Nvidia App) try seeing what it says in there. (This is the app you go to, in order to update your graphics card drivers).
Try updating if you haven't in a while, but also go to Settings, somewhere in there you should see your PC specs, see if that shows the graphics card name and stuff just to make sure.
Yeah.. i do have it and updated a couple days ago so on that part should be fine.

I only can find these specs there on GeForce Experience

1712490840570.png

But scrolling down to the page i just found this info about VR telling me i´m fine to go for it :whistle:

1712490947679.png

Viixby

Dec 19, 2019
Yeah.. i do have it and updated a couple days ago so on that part should be fine.

I only can find these specs there on GeForce Experience

View attachment 3518620

But scrolling down to the page i just found this info about VR telling me i´m fine to go for it :whistle:

View attachment 3518623
Then I would go ahead and get a Quest 2 from amazon for 200$ and a 20$ third party link cable from amazon, and if all else fails just return them! No risk!
I use this one:

Mod if amazon links are against the rules let me know ill edit it right away, but i didnt see a rule on it

Last edited:

DarkFernando

Jul 18, 2020
Then I would go ahead and get a Quest 2 from amazon for 200$ and a 20$ third party link cable from amazon, and if all else fails just return them! No risk!
I use this one:

Mod if amazon links are against the rules let me know ill edit it right away, but i didnt see a rule on it
First thanks for all the help and conversation, i have defintly learned a couple things (y)

Afterall i also think Quest 2 is best quality-price option, so i think im going to get those from amazon and start exploring with them a bit.

The thing about getting the external cable is because the one that comes with the Quest 2 is too short right?

Viixby

Dec 19, 2019
First thanks for all the help and conversation, i have defintly learned a couple things (y)

Afterall i also think Quest 2 is best quality-price option, so i think im going to get those from amazon and start exploring with them a bit.

The thing about getting the external cable is because the one that comes with the Quest 2 is too short right?
The one that could come with is not only too short to do anything more than charge, it's also USB 2.0, not USB 3.0, which is a very very big speed difference, so it's not recommended for anything more than charging.

DarkFernando

Jul 18, 2020
The one that could come with is not only too short to do anything more than charge, it's also USB 2.0, not USB 3.0, which is a very very big speed difference, so it's not recommended for anything more than charging.
I already found some for even 17 dollars so (y)

Reactions: Viixby

Barnaky

Sep 28, 2018
I already found some for even 17 dollars so (y)
Btw dunno if it is relevant but you do not really need the long cable. It has this thing called AirLink- it can connect you wirelessly. And if you combine it with wireless headphones there will be no cables in the way.

Viixby

Dec 19, 2019
Btw dunno if it is relevant but you do not really need the long cable. It has this thing called AirLink- it can connect you wirelessly. And if you combine it with wireless headphones there will be no cables in the way.
It's relevant, but you'd then be stuck with half of the battery life you'd normally have while connected which is 2-4 hours. Along with relying on internet speed. Correction to be a bit more accurate (2-3hrs unconnected) (4-6hrs connected with optimal cable)
For optimal airlink gameplay, your PC needs a good Wi-Fi card or connected to an ethernet cable. Then, ideally, you'd have a good Wi-Fi 5 or Wi-Fi 6 router. Unfortunately, most laptops, as in their case have sub optimal Wi-Fi cards. Totally an option, but it's not worth skipping over a mere 20$ cable that doubles battery and improves performance/latency.

DarkFernando

Jul 18, 2020
Don´t want to take over this game thread but since is abandoned...

I was looking further on amazon and there are none Quest 2 here on europe and the shipping cost from usa is almost 100 euros, which makes the total almost 300 euros, then i remember some one recommended the HTC Vive Pro Focus Plus 6DOF that of course we also dont have it here but with shipping cost included is 200 euros which is a pretty decent price and i think its looks even more comfortable headset than the Quest 2.

My question is if there is a big tech difference between this two and if with this 100 euros price difference i still must go for the Quest 2. ( Difference is actually exacly 80 euros between both. )

catsdino

Aug 6, 2019
VR Market and VR Tech enthusiast here.
3 Best options with very little competition in terms of value and quality/specifications.

(In order from lowest specs to best specs. Though keep in mind, regardless, these headsets out compete 90% of the VR market for a reason. The Quest 2 being the most used VR headset of all time and currently).
Quest 2: 199$ (Best specifications for the price by a large margin).
Pico 4: ~450$ (Losing out on bang for buck and popularity).
Quest 3: ~500$ (A rather unimpressive upgrade despite the price increase).
Valve Index: 1000$ (Very expensive and lacking in resolution for the price).

The Quest 2, Pico 4, and Quest 3 all have batteries and can be used wirelessly, however their flaw is that even when plugged in they die during use, it only extends the life which is already quite short for a VR enthusiast. Playing around the batterys' lifespan will be part of daily use with these.

The Valve Index requires a PC to run, however will be playable infinitely and never die.

As always do your own research on each one before deciding, maybe one will suit your budget and needs more than another that someone else may prefer.
They only die when plugged in if your charger is bad or you are using a weak (non powered) usb hub. Your pc probably doesn't have enough juice to charge and play.

Viixby

Dec 19, 2019
They only die when plugged in if your charger is bad or you are using a weak (non powered) usb hub. Your pc probably doesn't have enough juice to charge and play.
(I replaced my last reply because it was short and uninformative since I typed it while multitasking).
Some third-party cables are able to give *JUST ENOUGH* power to keep the battery up while playing, if you don't have the specs maxed out in the oculus settings. Though there is battery degradation from this over time, if you're able to get this effect working. This can kind of get complex, but it's not just Oculus Quest 2 with this problem its many lithium batteries, lithium batteries are very powerful and efficient, but they're also very sensitive and nitpicky. So, they require a lot of care, and I don't think it's worth harming the lifespan of a device, especially as they were on a tight budget and Meta is likely going to stop replacing headsets through support on the Oculus Quest 2 for free.
Aside from those perfect cables that balance that perfectly we have to watch out for the ones that deliver so much power it really degrades that lithium battery, melts the port, and melts other components in the headset. There have been some minor face injuries from this as well, so you can imagine if it's getting that hot outside the headset, what it's like on the inside.
So absolutely possible, just not a great idea unless you're in a position where you can upgrade/replace your headset after it degrades.
From reading a lot of reddit posts, most users are only able to do this trick about a year, before their battery shows degradation and starts losing charge even while on those third-party cables, while also draining extra hard while not on them. So, if you're good with 4-6 hours, 7-8 hours on the lower spec settings of use. Then I say just go with a good old Syntech cable.
Of course, it's up to each user to do what they want; I just want to throw this out there to point out the maybe not obvious risk with the lithium batteries in the Quest 2.

Last edited:

catsdino

Aug 6, 2019
(I replaced my last reply because it was short and uninformative since I typed it while multitasking).
Some third-party cables are able to give *JUST ENOUGH* power to keep the battery up while playing, if you don't have the specs maxed out in the oculus settings. Though there is battery degradation from this over time, if you're able to get this effect working. This can kind of get complex, but it's not just Oculus Quest 2 with this problem its many lithium batteries, lithium batteries are very powerful and efficient, but they're also very sensitive and nitpicky. So, they require a lot of care, and I don't think it's worth harming the lifespan of a device, especially as they were on a tight budget and Meta is likely going to stop replacing headsets through support on the Oculus Quest 2 for free.
Aside from those perfect cables that balance that perfectly we have to watch out for the ones that deliver so much power it really degrades that lithium battery, melts the port, and melts other components in the headset. There have been some minor face injuries from this as well, so you can imagine if it's getting that hot outside the headset, what it's like on the inside.
So absolutely possible, just not a great idea unless you're in a position where you can upgrade/replace your headset after it degrades.
From reading a lot of reddit posts, most users are only able to do this trick about a year, before their battery shows degradation and starts losing charge even while on those third-party cables, while also draining extra hard while not on them. So, if you're good with 4-6 hours, 7-8 hours on the lower spec settings of use. Then I say just go with a good old Syntech cable.
Of course, it's up to each user to do what they want; I just want to throw this out there to point out the maybe not obvious risk with the lithium batteries in the Quest 2.
I already bought 1 replacement battery set for when this one kicks the bucket in a few years. I knew what I was getting into when I got the headset so I planned ahead. I plan on eventually replacing it with a pico at some point or whatever valve is working on if it's good.

Reactions: Viixby
4.40 star(s) 5 Votes