VN Ren'Py Abandoned Princess Colleen [v0.2] [Studio AD]

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

jufot

May 15, 2021
Excellent update Arisushi!

The Priest said:
An unseen sacrifice. An ally who will betray you. A lover who will forget you. And a kin who will bring shame upon you.

I can guess at the last three with some confidence, but I have no idea what the sacrifice could be. Intriguing!

When I played the first chapter, I was a big fan of Colleen leaving. It seemed like she had no real power or influence, and she was effectively being sold to Byrin. So when the choice came up in this chapter, I chose to leave. I was surpised how everyone seemed to be disappointed in her for leaving. Not just Kandor, but also Maaya, despite ultimately coming along with her. That annoyed me a little on her behalf, to be honest. Couldn't these people see how staying is simply not an option?

But then, I played the other path. I'm delighted to see that even when she stays, Colleen has no intention on submitting to Byrin and her father. Kandor's reaction was surprising. His terms for helping her are both admirable and immensely frustrating. He's willing to help Colleen, perhaps out of some fatherly concern, but never at the expense of the king. I think that makes him not trustable. A useful tool, as he offers, but nothing more. I was even more glad to see her one royal ally is not a king, but a queen. Kairil seems like she'll be Colleen's ace in the hole.

Anyway, exciting times! I'm looking forward to chapter 3 :)

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
This seems like a good game but sadly its going to be a slow burn. Will take some time to complete and get some scenes eh?
Yeah, we probably won't be jumping into the full-on sex scenes right now.

But a few things should start heading in that direction from 0.3 onwards.

There is a bug with the save function. Every time I try to use it, the game goes into an error screen.
That's strange. It seems to be working fine on the systems we tested. Can you share a screenshot of the error, so we can look into it and sort it out?

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020

Greetings,

This is the writer of Princess Colleen, here with an announcement I did not want to make.

Princess Colleen is now officially abandoned.

After waiting over a month without any updates from the project's artist, I have no other choice but to move on.

But, as a proof that we were actually working on the 0.3 update - Here is an incomplete version of it (with 100% of the scenes from the political route and around 35% of the scenes from the traveler route).

PC -
MAC -

---

JUST TO BE CLEAR, I do NOT know the situation of the artist (and I sincerely hope nothing bad happened)

The last time we spoke he was still eagerly working on this project and (more importantly) he was always a very understanding and patient person throughout the development.

For starters, he did NOT receive a single penny of the project earnings in its 3 months of development.

Since the monthly revenue was quite small, he wanted to wait until there was enough in the account to make the withdrawal.

Then the payment options got screwed up and once again he was understanding enough to move the project over to his patreon page and continue production there.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is - while I'm incredibly disheartened by this situation (especially having ended one of my recent projects prematurely in a very similar manner), I cannot afford to get mad at anyone.

All I can do is, apologize to those who supported this project based on the words I had promised them. I'm truly sorry that I cannot deliver on my words.

(With everything I had planned for the future) I really thought this game would be a "mainstream" experience that kept getting better & better with each new update.

So, it's heartbreaking that I have to stop it so early when it is still just a seed of an idea.

---

Honestly, at this point, I don't know what I should do from hereon. (Or whether I have it in me to take any further actions at all.)

Should I start another new project and risk repeating the same conclusions again & again, losing valuable time of my life, despite the complete commitment I give to my works?

Should I believe in the quality of Princess Colleen and find a different artist and restart the project?
Should I just fucking go all in and take a loan for "good enough" PC & start working solo (art & all)?
Should I just give up writing VNs as a whole?

I really don't know. I definitely need the time to process the whole thing before deciding on anything.

But whatever the decision, I'll be sure to share it publicly. (Of course, the patreon pledging will be paused - just like the recent 3 months - until I actually have anything valuable to give)

Until then, please take care. I truly am sorry for failing yet again.

Seewolf

Feb 27, 2019
Arisushi

If you really give your heartblood for this project you won't abandon it, just because the artist somehow disappeared. There are other daz3d artists, so try to get another one on board instead of abandoning this nice medieval fantasy project.
I wish you good luck and please try to continue with a different artist!

JohnF95zone

Engaged Member
Oct 31, 2017

Greetings,

This is the writer of Princess Colleen, here with an announcement I did not want to make.

Princess Colleen is now officially abandoned.

After waiting over a month without any updates from the project's artist, I have no other choice but to move on.

But, as a proof that we were actually working on the 0.3 update - Here is an incomplete version of it (with 100% of the scenes from the political route and around 35% of the scenes from the traveler route).

PC - Pixeldrain
MAC - Pixeldrain

---

JUST TO BE CLEAR, I do NOT know the situation of the artist (and I sincerely hope nothing bad happened)

The last time we spoke he was still eagerly working on this project and (more importantly) he was always a very understanding and patient person throughout the development.

For starters, he did NOT receive a single penny of the project earnings in its 3 months of development.

Since the monthly revenue was quite small, he wanted to wait until there was enough in the account to make the withdrawal.

Then the payment options got screwed up and once again he was understanding enough to move the project over to his patreon page and continue production there.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is - while I'm incredibly disheartened by this situation (especially having ended one of my recent projects prematurely in a very similar manner), I cannot afford to get mad at anyone.

All I can do is, apologize to those who supported this project based on the words I had promised them. I'm truly sorry that I cannot deliver on my words.

(With everything I had planned for the future) I really thought this game would be a "mainstream" experience that kept getting better & better with each new update.

So, it's heartbreaking that I have to stop it so early when it is still just a seed of an idea.

---

Honestly, at this point, I don't know what I should do from hereon. (Or whether I have it in me to take any further actions at all.)

Should I start another new project and risk repeating the same conclusions again & again, losing valuable time of my life, despite the complete commitment I give to my works?

Should I believe in the quality of Princess Colleen and find a different artist and restart the project?
Should I just fucking go all in and take a loan for "good enough" PC & start working solo (art & all)?
Should I just give up writing VNs as a whole?

I really don't know. I definitely need the time to process the whole thing before deciding on anything.

But whatever the decision, I'll be sure to share it publicly. (Of course, the patreon pledging will be paused - just like the recent 3 months - until I actually have anything valuable to give)

Until then, please take care. I truly am sorry for failing yet again.
My deepest condolence for how things went bad for you in multiple arrangements to date. I am in no way an expert or even close to having similar experience, but what I can suggest to you is to learn from the best. In fact, there is the best on this site, Tlaero and Mortze. I hope you will reach out to Tlaero for advices and/or opinions, at least. Hang in there.

P/S: I think if you put this game On Hold while you wait to re-connect with the artist and decide your next course of actions is much better compared to abandoning it altogether, considering you just need a reliable artist ( for rendering ) to reboot and continue working on this game.

Éama

Apr 17, 2022
That's very disappointing and really sad news for us female protag fans. But nothing we can do unfortunately. Does this affect Zia as well?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jo_Zi

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Yes, I understand what you mean. I haven't completely given up on the project yet (and am still considering the possibility of continuing it with a different artist).

However, I do not want to "lead anyone on" with a hope that it might come back when I myself am not a 100% sure of it. Which is why I figured it would be better to mark/announce it as abandoned.

Still, thank you very much for the wishes and the much welcome advice, I'll do my best to make things work.

Last edited:

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
That's very disappointing and really sad news for us female protag fans. But nothing we can do unfortunately. Does this affect Zia as well?
No, "Zia" is being developed with a different artist altogether and it will in NOT be affected in anyway by what happened with Princess Colleen. It will continue without any hitch.

(Considering how things have turned out so far, I just want to do everything in my power to give Zia the proper run it deserves. But I digress.)

The worst that can happen is that - I might not take up any "newer" projects (which, again, I haven't 100% made up my mind about either).

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote