Ren'Py Abandoned Princess Tower [v0.12.public.3] [Euphemismus]

4.60 star(s) 48 Votes

bobdillan

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2016
I played the update without reading the changelog and my previous save did not work properly, so I was very disappointed I spent my time playing the whole game again for no progress whatsoever. Especially after having this game near the top of my update watchlist for months.

The game is extremely well-written and has a lot of potential so I hope that's not a first sign of incoming development hell. If the refactoring really will help with adding content in the next updates then I guess that's fine but having at least an additional scene would have been great.
..... is it the devs fault that you didn't read the changelog and got disappointed though?

The game had many issues... they fixed a lot of them, and restructured the story for better flow, that way future content will be smoother and have a better story...

This is the better choice for this update because the other option would be they keep the faults which would impact future content negatively and only made more work for them to redo later on instead of doing the fixes now.

Not every dev is super experienced and knows 100% what they are doing... there will be trial and error, there will be seemingly slow progression here and there. Just because there isn't any "new" content (technically a lot of the current story is new because of it being changed so much), doesn't mean there hasn't been a lot of work put into it.

To put it another way, they basically redid multiple updates in one update. Depending on how much work they did and the changes besides artwork this update may have been as big as 3-4+ updates in terms of workload.

Hell even very experienced devs meet similar issues, just take the runescape bank rework, on the surface seems like a simple issue, just pretty up the bank a bit and make it easier to use, under the surface it was a complete rework and restructure of decade old spaghetti that is pretending to be code, which took a lot of resources to fix, and on the surface once it was done you have a few quality of life changes and things look nicer, but you don't really see how much work actually went into it because it was all behind the scenes.

And well, better this than it turning into cyberpunk 2077 XD

Last edited:

Shipfu

Mar 20, 2020
Spaghetti is good when it's cooked al dente. Just delete all old versions of the game and you will have non of the old bugs. Save file bug comes from not deleting old game folder with saves, since renpy games has cross saving function.

obvthrowaway29

Jul 4, 2018
I just wanted to echo what a few others have said already:
The writing in this game is really good, and is definitely its strongest suite! It manages a great balance between casually enjoyable and seriously saucy. Honestly, even if it was stripped of all its game mechanics and was simply a VN, it would still be quite enjoyable I think. Which is not to say that the game mechanics don't add a lot as well, of course!

• Red Heart
Reactions: Euphemismus

Euphemismus

Game Developer
Sep 9, 2020
Okay, first, thanks everyone for the kind words, they mean a lot! <3
My primary motivation is creating stuff people enjoy and hearing that they did is always great.

Second, the recursion bug, because it's kind of a priority:
I played before 0.7 for me it looks the same bugs no changes and I started new.

All time these bugs:
Are those stacktraces from two different crashes? I'm seeing two different errors?

Thanks a ton for the stacktrace on the recursion depth issue, though! As I said, I can't get this bug to properly reproduce and I haven't seen it since, I think, Tuesday. I'm gonna get to work on this bug right away, but I don't think it's going to be an easy fix.

Found a bug.
Right, thanks for the report! I have a suspicion I know what's going on here, so it's going on the "to be hotfixed" list.

I have just completed a new run of the game.
Thank you for your work and keep it up !
Thanks for the meaty write-up!

"Many cases of Ren'py" crashing sounds a bit worrying, I wish I had a bit more info on that.

Otherwise, I'll comment on one specific point here and I'll talk a bit about the pacing later:
The shift towards more "consensual" writing was neither an attempt to deal with censorship nor an attempt to change tone — I just like it this way and I always wanted to write this way and I felt that it wasn't this way enough before and it would create a disconnect if it were more this way later, but not all that much this way in the early game. :D Consensual non-con is cool, too, but it was never what I wanted to do with Princess Tower.

I tried your game/demo and enjoyed it quite a lot.

So much potential. The writing is quite good. Compared to most of the writing that is done for games on this site it is by far the strongest element of your game.
Thanks for the kind words and the feedback!

You also mentioned the pacing a bit, so I'll address that here:
The speed at which the relationship moves forward is too fast for some, and too slow for others. :D An important pillar of writing for Princess Tower has always been trying to go for a high density of information and fast pace in order to create a story with both depth and breath that's still quite fast to get through (because that's what I like to read). I've occasionally considered having a word count goal of 100 000, but that's a bit too set-in-stone for me.

You mentioned more variations of the same scenes, too, which wouldn't make the game much longer, but are in the situation where although I consider variations (including the existing ones) to be something that make the game unambiguously better, but ultimately the question is never "what should there be more/less of" and always "how do I spend the limited dev time I have on this earth".

(There was never a particularly more verbose version, btw, I think the word count didn't heavily change)

asdffdsa1

Dec 1, 2018
How are you guys getting candle wax? I've reached the end of both paths and don't see the option to purchase candles in the upgrades menu. Nothing in quests either.

Shipfu

Mar 20, 2020
How are you guys getting candle wax? I've reached the end of both paths and don't see the option to purchase candles in the upgrades menu. Nothing in quests either.
Upgraded the chains to lvl 2? Keep spanking her with the ruler.

Sep 29, 2017
Are there any actual sexual acts in the game at this point (or any future point)?
it is a training simulation game. It will have some repetition, getting stats up, normalization, and etc. There is some light sexual touching atm. Anticipating sex in future based on getting to the end of current version.

Euphemismus

Game Developer
Sep 9, 2020
This is strange then. I have chains at level 3.
It is entirely possible this is my screwup, here's what you can do immediately: you can use shift+o to open the console, and copypaste "upgrades.append(u_q_chainslvl_1_upgrade)" (without the quotes) there and press enter. Don't... don't mind the fact that a chains level 2 upgrade is called "chainslvl_1_upgrade", that's just... that's just me keeping things interesting for myself. Definitely not just because I screwed up and it's spaghetti code. Nope.
I'll have a look at what might have caused that, thanks for the bug report!
Are there any actual sexual acts in the game at this point (or any future point)?
They don't fuck yet, if that's what you mean. This has been an ongoing joke when the player reaches end-of-content since v.0.1. They will at a future point, though.
Euphemismus some spelling and grammar errors
Thanks a lot, I have no idea how you're able to see notice some of those! I had to run a diff to see what was happening in chains.rpy 224 even after you pointed out the specific line with the error.
I've accepted my propensity for errors as an unintentional part of my style as a writer, like a punk band that's really bad at their instruments. :D

diestormlie

May 13, 2017
It lives! Hurrah!

It was a pleasure playing through it again with the new changes, and I'm looking forward to future updates.

On slight gripe though: I think it would be more efficient to allow "Will Ari help me with Paperwork" to be selectable when you decide to do Paperwork, rather than having to call her in, change the rule, send her away again, then start the Paperwork/Brew Potion/Rest.

• Red Heart

number361

Dec 2, 2018
The game is absolutely lovely, the writing is good and the drawings are awesome. Extremely well done my friend. The only problem I have is now I have to wait a year or so to have all the content done, but I and many others it seems have high hopes for you.

Oh, also, would it make sense to have Ari any pubic hair? Considering she can't really shave...well from the design perspective it will require more time to develop especially in later scenes.

• Red Heart

Routine

Oct 5, 2017
Spaghetti is good when it's cooked al dente. Just delete all old versions of the game and you will have non of the old bugs. Save file bug comes from not deleting old game folder with saves, since renpy games has cross saving function.
Deleted all versions of the game, and the RenPy save folder in AppData, such that after re-extracting the new version from archive, there were no saves at all. The problem persists, so this can't be the only reason.

By the time I hit the first rubbing scene, it becomes completely impossible to save the game.

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 48 Votes