Ren'Py Abandoned Princess Tower [v0.12.public.3] [Euphemismus]

4.60 star(s) 48 Votes
Jan 17, 2018
Well, I hate to underestimate the difficulty of coding (or re-coding), but doing only that for 3 months (or I don't remember how long exactly) seems like too long. There are lots of developers that do big updates bi-weekly, monthly or whole games in 3 months.

I'm just saying it because I really like the game (or more like what it could become) and considered supporting it, but it is totally unreasonable with this rate of development and low level of transparency. And I'm sure I'm not the only person that feels that way!

Euphemismus sincerely wish you lots of inspiration and motivation, I'm sure you can make a great game

Shipfu

Mar 20, 2020
Deleted all versions of the game, and the RenPy save folder in AppData, such that after re-extracting the new version from archive, there were no saves at all. The problem persists, so this can't be the only reason.

By the time I hit the first rubbing scene, it becomes completely impossible to save the game.
Hmm, don't know what to do then , since it worked for me.

andy60

Jan 14, 2017
Euphemismus
I would like to request a better way of dealing with Ari's Temperament.

To explain: I first did the Chain level 1 event setting Ari's Temperament to Chains and getting the mountain copper quest.
I wanted to keep the levels roughly equal so I did Hearts level 1 (Temperament remains Chains) and once again get told to do the mountain copper quest.
But when I did that tea talk Hearts leveled up to 2 and set Temperament to Hearts.
Since this was supposed to be my chains save I tried to change it back.
So I did both the Chain 2 & 3 level events. (reaching the end of chains content message)
Neither reset Ari's Temperament to Chains.

So in short I would like an easier/ more consistent way of manipulating which Temperament is primary.

MrBlack ✌

Jun 4, 2017
After some days when I click "Upgrades":

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

:WeSmart:I've made a copy of _clock.png and renamed it to clock.png (without underline), which solved this issue.

TheGentleViking

Simbro ResErection Developer
Game Developer
Dec 9, 2020
Well, I hate to underestimate the difficulty of coding (or re-coding), but doing only that for 3 months (or I don't remember how long exactly) seems like too long. There are lots of developers that do big updates bi-weekly, monthly or whole games in 3 months.

I'm just saying it because I really like the game (or more like what it could become) and considered supporting it, but it is totally unreasonable with this rate of development and low level of transparency. And I'm sure I'm not the only person that feels that way!

Euphemismus sincerely wish you lots of inspiration and motivation, I'm sure you can make a great game
I believe it took so long because Euphemismus is relatively new to coding. With that in mind, I believe they also do all the art and writing. All things considered, I believe it's pretty reasonable for them to take that long. I understand that some developers can manage to do more frequent releases but, I feel this is due to a lot of developers having more than one person working on the game and/or not needing to learn new skills like coding along the way. To be honest, I'm surprised that Euphemismus didn't just quit or take longer as it's a lot more work than one might first believe. I'm sure that once Euphemismus gets more experience and/or extra people working on the project, you will see more frequent updates with more content.

Routine

Oct 5, 2017
Euphemismus

On my specific case of the "maximum recursion depth exceeded" save bug: for me, this bug consistently occurs during the first rubbing scene (for the Raise Heart Level quest). There appears to actually be more than one bug associated with it as I've seen the depth exceeded "in cmp" or "while pickling an object." I was able to get through it without triggering the bug a couple times by triggering her rubbing dialogue, spanking to 1 level, rubbing to 2 levels, then finishing spanking and finally finishing rubbing, saving after each step, but this does not work consistently.

Dole

Well-Known Karen
Apr 28, 2017
Okay, first, thanks everyone for the kind words, they mean a lot! <3
My primary motivation is creating stuff people enjoy and hearing that they did is always great.

Second, the recursion bug, because it's kind of a priority:

Are those stacktraces from two different crashes? I'm seeing two different errors?
Yes two chrashes. First I thought the version here have bugs.

I download as second version the version from you side. The clock error vanished and first it looks the save bug was aso gone.

After a time the save bug are back.

I can`t say why it was possible to play further with the "second version" before the bug came back.

To load a older save is not possible the save bug blocks to play further or that you try different things out because you can`t save anymore so a game progress are lost.

GG Jack

Apr 5, 2018
I'm getting an error that stops me from saving after spanking her with a ruler...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

If I ignore it, I can continue playing, but it won't save, ever, if I hit her to the point of getting the +1 point.

Last edited:

ThatSecondUser

Jan 25, 2018
This is entirely a guess, but I'm hoping it can help Euphemismus track down the recursion depth error:

"Maximum recursion depth exceeded while pickling an error" is Python-speak for "I tried to convert an object to bytes, but kept diving deeper and deeper into the object until my fail safe kicked in". This usually happens if you have some data structure that has a lot of depth (e.g. if a character object holds a reference to another charater somewhere deeply nested within, which in turn holds a reference to ...).

You can try to get around it by raising the fail safe limit by doing e.g.
Code:
init python:
    sys.setrecursionlimit(10000)
But if that doesn't work then you'll need to do some debugging to see which object it is that Python is having trouble converting into bytes.

Nov 24, 2019
By the way, if this bug only happens during event scenes, there is another simpler and more elegant way to deal with the issue: Disable saving functionality during these. Specially auto-save.

There are several ways to accomplish this so I won't enter in details as they're all on the documentation, but remember Ren'Py is trying to pickle every variable including temporary ones and PyGame ones (if you're still using a direct PyGame implementation).

If you can save normally after the event is over (if this bug only happens during event scenes), that would be the cheap way out.

Routine

Oct 5, 2017
The bug is only triggered by something in an event scene, but you don't have to attempt to save during the scene for the bug to occur--any attempt to save after the trigger will fail.

Euphemismus

Game Developer
Sep 9, 2020
On slight gripe though:
Yeah, that's on the to-do list, it only got cut off from v.0.9 because the release was getting delayed too much as is.
Oh, also, would it make sense to have Ari any pubic hair?
It would definitely make sense, I'm most likely going to try to tackle that along with outfit selections.
By the time I hit the first rubbing scene, it becomes completely impossible to save the game.
It seems you've been hit particularly hard by this bug, sorry. :( It seems to occur much more easily for some as opposed to others.

Here's a command that might help, it simply increases the maximum recursion limit. Open the console with shift+o and copypaste "sys.setrecursionlimit(10000)" (without the quotation marks) in there, then press enter. I'm curious to hear back whether it helps or not, if you try it.

I'm going to, most likely, release a hotfix today before midnight GMT. The command I just included in this post is not a very good solution - it's more of a band-aid on the problem instead of actually fixing the problem. But I'm not sure I'll be able to find the actual issue. If so, it'll have to go into the "keep slowly working on this as you go through versions" part of the TO-DO list.

EDIT: Okay, I've missed that the thread had a 13th page, and someone already mentioned the sys.recursionlimit(10000) thing :D And yeah, ThatSecondUser's description is pretty accurate. While the code for PT is pretty hefty and pretty complicated, I'm not aware of having any data structure that would need to go several hundred nodes deep and hit the recursion limit... it also appears to not be a circular dependency, because that would cause the error to show up reliably on every save/load (which it doesn't for me - I can't get this to reproduce at all anymore).

but doing only that for 3 months (or I don't remember how long exactly) seems like too long
I was also out of commission for over a month due to health issues. But yeah, this update still took much longer than I would have liked. :/

Last edited:

Euphemismus

Game Developer
Sep 9, 2020
Euphemismus
So I did both the Chain 2 & 3 level events. (reaching the end of chains content message)
Neither reset Ari's Temperament to Chains.
This is a bug, will fix, thanks for letting me know.
Euphemismus is relatively new to coding.
Er, actually, I have several years of enterprise-level industry experience in programming. :D But yes, doing everything alone means I'm much slower than a team (and this update had a lot more to it than just coding).

Someone mentioned a lack of transparency, though, which seems a bit surprising as I have weekly updates about what I've been doing and I thought that's significantly more than what most devs do? But eh, people have different expectations and that's fine.

Euphemismus

Game Developer
Sep 9, 2020
v.0.9.1 released!

Get it at:

MEGA - -

I *think* I found the specific line causing the recursion issue. I lowered my recursion limit to 100 and got the bug to reliably reproduce. Turns out it was a copypaste error that somehow not only compiled but gave the correct behaviour despite the code line being all fucked up. At least I *hope* that was the issue.
And I'll mention just-in-case: savegames are compatible from v.0.9 to v.0.9.1.

v.0.9.1

Changes:
- Skipping intro gives 4 of either fragment instead of 3
- If Ari has Daily Task rule active without Help With Paperwork rule, player is prompted about whether to ask Ari for help when doing paperwork

Bugfixes:
- Hopefully resolved 'maximum recursion depth exceeded' error that showed up when saving/loading
- Upgrades no longer have crosstalk issues between savegames
- Important typo in chains quest description fixed ("raise :ari_bang: to 3" -> "raise :ari_bang: to 4")
- Fixed an issue with the bottom quick menu disappearing during spank scenes and never returning
- Disabled the quick menu during interactive h-scenes - it can cause issues and I should have done this long ago
- Disabled rollforward during interactive h-scenes until I find a fix for why some variables aren't correctly changed when rolling forward
- Fixed visual glitch where the ruler was sometimes still shown during h-scene interjection scenes
- Fixed issue where Ari's Temperament wasn't changing properly on levelup
- Fixed Linux issues caused by renpy.get_mouse_pos() returning float in Linux (thanks, Sep, for including the exact line causing the issue and also a fix with your bug report :D)
- Fixed issue where the Thaumaturgy Cabinet menu buttons were accessible even if the Upgrades menu was open
- Fixed issue where spank scene max bang interjections weren't firing correctly
- Fixed some issues with incorrect heart path scenes firing after end-of-content
- Candle upgrade should now always appear when reaching chains level 2
- Small editorial fixes (typos and grammar and sentence structure and stuff. Thanks for the help on that, HeavyEavy)

Known issues:
- there's a small visual glitch when rubbing areas that have been spanked red

Reactions: kemcbg

elcamino101

Jan 23, 2019
question in terms of pathing: is the magics and mountain copper quest supposed to launch twice if you elect to raise heart to 1 immediately after raising chain to 1, or vice versa? it seems like there's an assumption in the quest logic that you won't do that even though there's nothing forbidding it mechanically.

anyway it didn't seem to break anything by doing so but it did repeat scenes.

ssj782

Engaged Member
Apr 19, 2019
Is there more than spanking yet? I have several fetishes, but that's not one of them. So I'm waiting for more event types.

taftyboy

Oct 10, 2018
You have something really special starting here. The combination of trainer and touch-feel elements are something I've wanted to see for a long time. Writing is obviously, as many have said, top notch, the girl is cute, and the game is well paced. Keep it up dude!

Also, I got an error message when I pulled Ari's skirt back down during a quest event. Don't remember which one but it was relatively early in the game I believe.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Euphemismus
4.60 star(s) 48 Votes