Xill

Jan 10, 2018
I know the feeling.
Upgraded to 500Mb/s this year, from the staggering heights of 3-4Mb/s, at practically the same cost as my previous ISP was raising my service to! :LOL:
Do you live inside NASA HQ? Jesus. Mine is going to be 25mb/s. But honestly, compared to what I have right now I feel like I'm finally entering the 21st century. And yeah, I also found it crazy that it's the same price.

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
Do you live inside NASA HQ? Jesus. Mine is going to be 25mb/s. But honestly, compared to what I have right now I feel like I'm finally entering the 21st century. And yeah, I also found it crazy that it's the same price.
Lol, sadly it's just Scotland. If I did live in NASA I'd probably try to ride a rocket into space like Slim Pickens riding an atom bomb! :LOL:
Full fibre installation in my area took place around the beginning of the year.

Got to admit I'm shocked whenever I hear of how bad a lot of US internet connections/speeds are.

Xill

Jan 10, 2018
Lol, sadly it's just Scotland. If I did live in NASA I'd probably try to ride a rocket into space like Slim Pickens riding an atom bomb! :LOL:
Full fibre installation in my area took place around the beginning of the year.

Got to admit I'm shocked whenever I hear of how bad a lot of US internet connections/speeds are.
Oh nah, I'm in Greece. And we also only just got fibre in my area earlier, I think it's happening all over Europe atm, pretty interesting. The highest I can get is 200mbps though which is the one I'm getting. And tbh I could live off of this speed for another 15 years, assuming games don't just skyrocket to like 1k gigs each.

Reactions: Snugglepuff

ouch2020

Aug 11, 2020
Oh nah, I'm in Greece. And we also only just got fibre in my area earlier, I think it's happening all over Europe atm, pretty interesting. The highest I can get is 200mbps though which is the one I'm getting. And tbh I could live off of this speed for another 15 years, assuming games don't just skyrocket to like 1k gigs each.
Well, since it is a public discussion, don't forget it does not depend only from the speed of your connection.
When I connect from one location (apartment in one country, work in another for the time being), speedtest.net gives me around 300Mb of download (just tested), but I never even came close in a download, the maximum was around 30Mb (and only for few seconds, and only once, that's why it got stuck in my mind), although Mega does routinely go on the 10Mb+ download speed, if one does it when there (New Zealand) is night.
I think even my provider itself (it's a package with TV, that is accessible even using the Internet connection) never got to that speed even using their own network.
Plus, unless you have a very expensive company connection, even if it is fibre, the speed advertised is not a guaranteed speed, it is the maximum speed of the line.

Reactions: Zorlun

Xill

Jan 10, 2018
Well, since it is a public discussion, don't forget it does not depend only from the speed of your connection.
When I connect from one location (apartment in one country, work in another for the time being), speedtest.net gives me around 300Mb of download (just tested), but I never even came close in a download, the maximum was around 30Mb (and only for few seconds, and only once, that's why it got stuck in my mind), although Mega does routinely go on the 10Mb+ download speed, if one does it when there (New Zealand) is night.
I think even my provider itself (it's a package with TV, that is accessible even using the Internet connection) never got to that speed even using their own network.
Plus, unless you have a very expensive company connection, even if it is fibre, the speed advertised is not a guaranteed speed, it is the maximum speed of the line.
You mean Mbps right? Speedtest doesn't show MB, it shows Mbps. Mine shows it going from 190-200 which translates to around 20MB, which is how much I've reached by downloading stuff since I got fiber.

Mbps =/= MB. It's a different thing.

Reactions: Michel Mak

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
You mean Mbps right? Speedtest doesn't show MB, it shows Mbps. Mine shows it going from 190-200 which translates to around 20MB, which is how much I've reached by downloading stuff since I got fiber.

Mbps =/= MB. It's a different thing.
He didn't write MB anywhere. He wrote Mb, as a short version of Mbps. There's also Mb/s too.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
He didn't write MB anywhere. He wrote Mb, as a short version of Mbps. There's also Mb/s too.
MB = MegaByte (1024 KBytes, a Byte is 8 bits)
Mb = Megabit (1024 Kbits)

If you want to refer to Mbps, than you need to say "Mbps" or someone may, understandably, be confused.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xill

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
MB = MegaByte (1024 Bytes, a Byte is 8 bits)
Mb = Megabit (1024 bits)
No shit, Sherlock. Although you messed up bits/bytes and kilobits/kilobytes in megabits/bytes.
I'll bet you even knew that two bytes is a word!

If you want to refer to Mbps, than you need to say "Mbps" or someone may, understandably, be confused.
No, you don't have to. The only important part is Bit and not Byte.

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
One megabit is actually 1000000 bits, there's no need to group them using powers of two if you just push them down the wire.
He's pointing out that 1024 bits do not make a megabit, but they do make a kilobit.
The same with bytes and kilobytes.

You should address Night Hacker who got that wrong.

Xill

Jan 10, 2018
Well, anyway. Now that I can download the uncompressed version fairly quick I wanted to go back take some screenshots of some shots during the last "weird event" that I thought were really good.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I'd even use these as wallpapers if I lived alone.

Zorlun

Creating Naughtiness!
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 19, 2020
Well, anyway. Now that I can download the uncompressed version fairly quick I wanted to go back take some screenshots of some shots during the last "weird event" that I thought were really good.
I'd even use these as wallpapers if I lived alone.
Yeah, I was pretty happy with the result, thanks. ^^

Reactions: dian091 and Xill
4.40 star(s) 190 Votes