RPGM Completed WIP Quarta Knight Emerald [1.15][Kudarizaka Guardrail]

2.70 star(s) 3 Votes

TJ412

Sep 24, 2018
Is the direct translation not Quartz Knight Emerald (and Amethyst for the previous game)? Quarta Knight Emeraude just seems like standard dodgy JP>ENG translation

Reactions: Arkus86

xellos616

May 5, 2020

In Japanese it SOUNDS like Emeraude
Listen sound NOT translation

MIC132

May 14, 2018
Isn't Emeraude just the phonetic version of "Emerald", due to how japanese syllabes work?
If we are doing a translation it should quite clearly be "Emerald".
It's as if you had a Japanese game that had English "dragon" written phonetically as "doragon" and you'd leave it like that instead of translating to "dragon".

EDIT: You just simply can't write "emerald" in Japanese using the available syllabes. Hence you get e-me-ra-ru-do.
EDIT2: Though her name is written a bit differently than how emerald is written phonetically..

Dyulam

Feb 12, 2018
And why not a mix of the 2 proposition : Quartz Knight Emeraude ?

As Quartz Knight is her title and so can be translated,
and we keep Emeraude as the "direct reading" of her name

xellos616

May 5, 2020
Amadeus Electric Quartet
I dont know what I found but...

My be to tease that Amadeus Quartet?)))

Last edited:

bndlover

Jun 4, 2019
image[1].png

I already have these stats when I ran a New Game (even after deleting the existing save folder). Is this normal or stats retained from translator's playthrough?

MuninKai

Apr 29, 2020
TRANSLATION UPDATE

is now live. The long awaited full version is here!

THIS IS A WIP AND NOT READY FOR GENERAL RELEASE

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

FoxMelody

Mar 15, 2021
Excuse me xellos616 and Dyulam, but we live in a reality where the first game was notoriously distributed under the atrociously bad translated name of "Kurenkisho Quolta Amadeus EG" (quolta and amadeus being erroneous google translations where it gave out autocorrected similar words, rather than translations of the actual inputs), and there you suddenly pop in discussing "actually, it should be Emeraude" as if desiring to make this game needlessly more harder to look up.

To my understanding of the title (and consequently the names) and how it could/should be translated:
Either 1. We find a language where it actually makes sense for all three:
- Quartz to have been Japanized as クォルタ (Kuoruta), instead of クォーツ (Kuōtsu)
- Amethyst to have been Japanized as アメテュス (Ametyusu), instead of アメジスト (Amejisuto)
- Emerald to have been Japanized as エメロード (Emerōdo), instead of エメラルド (Emerarudo)
(the answer clearly is neither English nor French, and I doubt there is a correct answer here)
Or 2. We make a reasonable assumption that the author in one way or another corrupted his names compared to the source words. And from that the translator decides whether to render said names in the same corrupted manner as they are, which I would personally advise against as it would make it look extremely awkward and (as aformentioned) make it smell of shoddy JP > EN MTL translation, even when it would not be one; or for simplicity and readability render all three names the same as the English words - Quartz, Amethyst, Emerald.

A note on the topic of the title - there is "EG" at the end of the title, which I assume stands for Erotic Game and it is there to distinguish the name of the game from their manga series of the exact same name.

And finally, in regards to the "Knight" part. I don't know who coined that word as a replacement for whatever "Kurenkisho" means, but none of the kanji or their combinations within 駆錬輝晶 (=kurenkisho) mean "Knight" in the slightest, so that word/translation in the title is entirely bogus. That said, after looking at what it does mean I completely can't blame said person for wanting to ditch the "Kurenkisho" part of the title completely (also I don't even know if Kurenkisho is the correct reading in the first place).
It appears that all four kanji are individual words and none combine into a bigger one. So assuming I am getting right what is a noun and a verb - it would roughly translate into Dashing/Inspiring Polished/Refined Radiance/Radiant Crystal. 4 words in such an arrangement are a mouthful so I wouldn't be surprised if anyone decided to just keep "Kurenkisho" untranslated as part of the title instead, or maybe just shorten it to Radiant Crystal. In any way I would rather have it there than "Knight" taken from absolute nowhere.

TL;DR (but I would appreciate reading) - To my understanding and in my opinion the title of the game (and thus this thread and the protagonist) should be "Kurenkisho Quartz Emerald EG" or "Radiant Crystal Quartz Emerald EG"

MuninKai

Apr 29, 2020
Excuse me xellos616 and Dyulam, but we live in a reality where the first game was notoriously distributed under the atrociously bad translated name of "Kurenkisho Quolta Amadeus EG" (quolta and amadeus being erroneous google translations where it gave out autocorrected similar words, rather than translations of the actual inputs), and there you suddenly pop in discussing "actually, it should be Emeraude" as if desiring to make this game needlessly more harder to look up.

To my understanding of the title (and consequently the names) and how it could/should be translated:
Either 1. We find a language where it actually makes sense for all three:
- Quartz to have been Japanized as クォルタ (Kuoruta), instead of クォーツ (Kuōtsu)
- Amethyst to have been Japanized as アメテュス (Ametyusu), instead of アメジスト (Amejisuto)
- Emerald to have been Japanized as エメロード (Emerōdo), instead of エメラルド (Emerarudo)
(the answer clearly is neither English nor French, and I doubt there is a correct answer here)
Or 2. We make a reasonable assumption that the author in one way or another corrupted his names compared to the source words. And from that the translator decides whether to render said names in the same corrupted manner as they are, which I would personally advise against as it would make it look extremely awkward and (as aformentioned) make it smell of shoddy JP > EN MTL translation, even when it would not be one; or for simplicity and readability render all three names the same as the English words - Quartz, Amethyst, Emerald.

A note on the topic of the title - there is "EG" at the end of the title, which I assume stands for Erotic Game and it is there to distinguish the name of the game from their manga series of the exact same name.

And finally, in regards to the "Knight" part. I don't know who coined that word as a replacement for whatever "Kurenkisho" means, but none of the kanji or their combinations within 駆錬輝晶 (=kurenkisho) mean "Knight" in the slightest, so that word/translation in the title is entirely bogus. That said, after looking at what it does mean I completely can't blame said person for wanting to ditch the "Kurenkisho" part of the title completely (also I don't even know if Kurenkisho is the correct reading in the first place).
It appears that all four kanji are individual words and none combine into a bigger one. So assuming I am getting right what is a noun and a verb - it would roughly translate into Dashing/Inspiring Polished/Refined Radiance/Radiant Crystal. 4 words in such an arrangement are a mouthful so I wouldn't be surprised if anyone decided to just keep "Kurenkisho" untranslated as part of the title instead, or maybe just shorten it to Radiant Crystal. In any way I would rather have it there than "Knight" taken from absolute nowhere.

TL;DR (but I would appreciate reading) - To my understanding and in my opinion the title of the game (and thus this thread and the protagonist) should be "Kurenkisho Quartz Emerald EG" or "Radiant Crystal Quartz Emerald EG"
This is actually super useful. I have been largely basing my translation on the existing translations, either of the doujins or Radiant Crystal Quartz Amethyst. It's really one of the harder things to translate. For instance, there's a side character, アルミネス, who appears in multiple doujin, only one of which has any translation, and is another nonsense Japanese word that is vaguely similar to a stone.

The Quarta Knights appears to be used largely in previous translations. I suspect, aligned with Option 2, that Shiraso is just jumbling up real words to fit a fantasy setting, that this happened the same way. Translating the nonsense into English just makes it look messy. Trying to transliterate it, "Refined Radiance Crystal Quartz Amethyst" is also nonsense. I think the Knight thing comes from the actual text of the games/doujin (some of the in-game lore is a little more specific that they're from a knightly order). At least then there is a not-rock noun in the title, Radiant Quartz Knight Emerald, to distinguish which rocks are and are not important and give you an idea of the genre.

And of course, I'm loathe not to use Quarta as the name of their knightly order because as you mention, it makes searchability a nightmare.

TJ412

Sep 24, 2018
1673320677918.png

1673320750836.png

We've been playing as anthropomorphized stones all along!

Given the color schemes of each protagonist correspond, I think it's safe to say these are the most direct translations of their names. Not that it matters a huge deal, but since the question was asked. As for the rest of the title - "Radiant Quartz Knight Emerald" seems most appropriate. I don't think many people are going to be doing google searches or searching on here specifically for the game by its official english title - especially when the game only has a JP title on Eng DLSite so far. Maybe if we want to make it easily found by all 5 of those people, the RJ number and/or JP title could be included in OP.

In any case, thanks to everyone for the translation work. I wonder if Shiraso would be interested in using one of these once complete as the official translation, given we're splitting these hairs?

MuninKai

Apr 29, 2020
View attachment 2299375

View attachment 2299379

We've been playing as anthropomorphized stones all along!

Given the color schemes of each protagonist correspond, I think it's safe to say these are the most direct translations of their names. Not that it matters a huge deal, but since the question was asked. As for the rest of the title - "Radiant Quartz Knight Emerald" seems most appropriate. I don't think many people are going to be doing google searches or searching on here specifically for the game by its official english title - especially when the game only has a JP title on Eng DLSite so far. Maybe if we want to make it easily found by all 5 of those people, the RJ number and/or JP title could be included in OP.

In any case, thanks to everyone for the translation work. I wonder if Shiraso would be interested in using one of these once complete as the official translation, given we're splitting these hairs?
Yeah, RJ# or Japanese title is the only reliable way to really search for anything. Thought the doujin titles are a potential route for people to get into the game, so it's worth considering.

And that would be cool. Given the proliferation of dog shit MTLs being pushed as official English versions of Japanese games, who knows, maybe a well worked and edited one would be appealing.

Reactions: Doomeye

FoxMelody

Mar 15, 2021
This is actually super useful. I have been largely basing my translation on the existing translations, either of the doujins or Radiant Crystal Quartz Amethyst. It's really one of the harder things to translate. For instance, there's a side character, アルミネス, who appears in multiple doujin, only one of which has any translation, and is another nonsense Japanese word that is vaguely similar to a stone.

The Quarta Knights appears to be used largely in previous translations. I suspect, aligned with Option 2, that Shiraso is just jumbling up real words to fit a fantasy setting, that this happened the same way. Translating the nonsense into English just makes it look messy. Trying to transliterate it, "Refined Radiance Crystal Quartz Amethyst" is also nonsense. I think the Knight thing comes from the actual text of the games/doujin (some of the in-game lore is a little more specific that they're from a knightly order). At least then there is a not-rock noun in the title, Radiant Quartz Knight Emerald, to distinguish which rocks are and are not important and give you an idea of the genre.

And of course, I'm loathe not to use Quarta as the name of their knightly order because as you mention, it makes searchability a nightmare.
It does sound a bit weird, but she might be just named after Aluminum, which is one of the compounds of Beryl (and Emerald is a type of Beryl)? I don't have any other more specific minerals coming up to mind.

I don't like the "Quarta" because it then appears inconsistent to properly translate Emerald/Amethyst, but leave Quarta corrupted as is, and makes me think as if someone just fatfingered A instead of Z on the keyboard and never fixed the mistake.

MuninKai

Apr 29, 2020
It does sound a bit weird, but she might be just named after Aluminum, which is one of the compounds of Beryl (and Emerald is a type of Beryl)? I don't have any other more specific minerals coming up to mind.

I don't like the "Quarta" because it then appears inconsistent to properly translate Emerald/Amethyst, but leave Quarta corrupted as is, and makes me think as if someone just fatfingered A instead of Z on the keyboard and never fixed the mistake.
Yeah, I'm going to take a break from fixing up the MTL and go play some Dwarf Fortress, hoping for inspiration to strike.

Hilarious if true.

TJ412

Sep 24, 2018
Google translate via MTool/Textractor would come out with her name as Aluminum, which makes sense as she's a kinda cyborg?

MuninKai

Apr 29, 2020
Google translate via MTool/Textractor would come out with her name as Aluminum, which makes sense as she's a kinda cyborg?
But aluminium is not a gem. That does not fit the pattern. This is likely irrelevant, but it still bothers me.

rageso

Oct 13, 2018
- Modified the BattleLog script to reduce lag. Big thanks to rageso on F95 for figuring this out. If you want to revert it, the original file is contained in 04_RevertLagFix.7z
--I have noticed that there are some missing battle logs when using this reduction, but it is intermittent and I am not sure of the cause.
Is this when the empty log appears or another issue?

Will look into it but cant promise a fix :(

Hopefully

rageso

Oct 13, 2018
:cautious:

I made a stupid bug. Please forgive me.

When a text is repeated at the same index, the text will not be drawn the second time because my fix sees 'no change' in the line, but it is meant to display and the battle log appears. shiftLine causes the first line sprite to be deleted or moved and the second line sprite has no text.

Replace shiftLine function in the same file by
Code:
Window_BattleLog.prototype.shiftLine = function() {
    for (var i = 0; i < this._linesCopy.length; i++) {
        this._linesCopy[i]='';
    }
    this._lines.shift();
    var sprite = this._logSprites.shift();
    sprite.bitmap.clear();
    this._logSprites.push(sprite);
    this._logScrollY -= this.lineHeight();
    this._logScrollYDuration = 16;
};
Only the for-loop is new. Performance should not be affected.

Sorry for my error

Reactions: MuninKai

MuninKai

Apr 29, 2020
:cautious:

I made a stupid bug. Please forgive me.

When a text is repeated at the same index, the text will not be drawn the second time because my fix sees 'no change' in the line, but it is meant to display and the battle log appears. shiftLine causes the first line sprite to be deleted or moved and the second line sprite has no text.

Replace shiftLine function in the same file by
Code:
Window_BattleLog.prototype.shiftLine = function() {
    for (var i = 0; i < this._linesCopy.length; i++) {
        this._linesCopy[i]='';
    }
    this._lines.shift();
    var sprite = this._logSprites.shift();
    sprite.bitmap.clear();
    this._logSprites.push(sprite);
    this._logScrollY -= this.lineHeight();
    this._logScrollYDuration = 16;
};
Only the for-loop is new. Performance should not be affected.

Sorry for my error
Extremely relatable.

Though I think I pinned down the bug. It is most noticeable when the Slot Olicts do their generic groping attack. I am not sure if this is a me problem at this point though and will continue investigating.

rageso

Oct 13, 2018
Extremely relatable.

Though I think I pinned down the bug. It is most noticeable when the Slot Olicts do their generic groping attack. I am not sure if this is a me problem at this point though and will continue investigating.
Does the new fix not work? o_O

Do you have a description? I can see again tomorrow

MuninKai

Apr 29, 2020
Does the new fix not work? o_O

Do you have a description? I can see again tomorrow
Did some testing and it's a translation bug. Your script works fine when inserted into the base game.

Ah, the classic, somewhere in my scripts I stopped handling apostrophes properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: rageso
2.70 star(s) 3 Votes