VN Ren'Py Abandoned Quest Failed: Chapter 2 [Christmas special] [Frostworks]

F-Works

Sep 23, 2020
With all of this talk of RPG Maker stuff, I should probably mention that I did in fact make a small RPG Maker prototype game a couple of years ago!

Though rather than be an actual RPG, it's a moody adventure game instead with a grisly bad end if you mess up, because I love horror game stuff like that. Putting it together was very complex, though, and fitting all the text into the text boxes was a huge pain, alongside all the CG variations where I wanted them to fade in and out smoothly like Renpy. There was no default setting for that, so I had to do it manually with the picture event commands and it was just a huge mess. As others have stated, Renpy definitely suits the more text-heavy adventures I want to tell.

Frumi

Apr 1, 2019
With all of this talk of RPG Maker stuff, I should probably mention that I did in fact make a small RPG Maker prototype game a couple of years ago!

Though rather than be an actual RPG, it's a moody adventure game instead with a grisly bad end if you mess up, because I love horror game stuff like that. Putting it together was very complex, though, and fitting all the text into the text boxes was a huge pain, alongside all the CG variations where I wanted them to fade in and out smoothly like Renpy. There was no default setting for that, so I had to do it manually with the picture event commands and it was just a huge mess. As others have stated, Renpy definitely suits the more text-heavy adventures I want to tell.
Oh what a surprise! I actually did not know about that one.
I did a search for it right now and it is even here on the forum. Weird i was sure i searched "Frostworks" at some point in the past.
Mabe i was to fixated on Quest failed to notice it.
Thanks for mentioning it. A blanket apparition girl, wow that´s a first timer for me and a quite nice one i wanna say.

I tried it out immediately and i have to say it´s really good and i really would like to see more of it. So, i wanna ask...
If it was so complex to make in RPG and let´s say you would like to flesh out the prototype in the future: would you try to complete it as the game has startet (in RPG) or would you rather switch to renpy instead? It doesn't have to be a final answer i just would like to know where your decision rather tend to. From your point of view as developer, so to speak.

Edit: You are doing a great job with Quest fails and i am quite sure if you like working in renpy more you would be able to deliver it there to. just wanted to add this thought real quick.

Reactions: User1230

F-Works

Sep 23, 2020
Oh what a surprise! I actually did not know about that one.
I did a search for it right now and it is even here on the forum. Weird i was sure i searched "Frostworks" at some point in the past.
Mabe i was to fixated on Quest failed to notice it.
Thanks for mentioning it. A blanket apparition girl, wow that´s a first timer for me and a quite nice one i wanna say.

I tried it out immediately and i have to say it´s really good and i really would like to see more of it. So, i wanna ask...
If it was so complex to make in RPG and let´s say you would like to flesh out the prototype in the future: would you try to complete it as the game has startet (in RPG) or would you rather switch to renpy instead? It doesn't have to be a final answer i just would like to know where your decision rather tend to. From your point of view as developer, so to speak.

Edit: You are doing a great job with Quest fails and i am quite sure if you like working in renpy more you would be able to deliver it there to. just wanted to add this thought real quick.
Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Regarding swapping it over to Renpy--I don't think it's the kind of experience that would suit a fully fledged visual novel, as I think one of its strengths lies in the gradual exploration and solving of puzzles, with Silent Hill-esque warping of the environment depending on if you screw up or not. I even planned and got sketches done of a character that would stalk you and you'd need to hide to escape her, and you'd know she was around due to her muffled, heavy breathing. That kind of thing wouldn't translate as well to a full visual novel format I think, and I'd drastically have to change my approach.

The difficulty of expanding the rpg maker game beyond its initial prototype too lies within how closely I worked with an artist to create the handdrawn environments, and there was a lot of back and forth to make sure it aligned properly and had all the right layers and adjustments. Which, given how busy they are now with other things, seems like an impossibility--and I don't think I'd be able to find another artist who could match that kind of thing.

So it's certainly a reasonable idea--but I feel I'd sacrifice a lot in the process.

The only way I could see myself continuing it was if I swapped back over to traditional pixel sprites and tilesets and built it up like that--but then it would lose a lot of its identity. So for now, it's better to just be left as a prototype curiosity. (I find it funny how it's marked as 'cancelled' on here--when it was never in active development to begin with lol, it was always just a one-off product.)

Frumi

Apr 1, 2019
Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Regarding swapping it over to Renpy--I don't think it's the kind of experience that would suit a fully fledged visual novel, as I think one of its strengths lies in the gradual exploration and solving of puzzles, with Silent Hill-esque warping of the environment depending on if you screw up or not. I even planned and got sketches done of a character that would stalk you and you'd need to hide to escape her, and you'd know she was around due to her muffled, heavy breathing. That kind of thing wouldn't translate as well to a full visual novel format I think, and I'd drastically have to change my approach.

The difficulty of expanding the rpg maker game beyond its initial prototype too lies within how closely I worked with an artist to create the handdrawn environments, and there was a lot of back and forth to make sure it aligned properly and had all the right layers and adjustments. Which, given how busy they are now with other things, seems like an impossibility--and I don't think I'd be able to find another artist who could match that kind of thing.

So it's certainly a reasonable idea--but I feel I'd sacrifice a lot in the process.

The only way I could see myself continuing it was if I swapped back over to traditional pixel sprites and tilesets and built it up like that--but then it would lose a lot of its identity. So for now, it's better to just be left as a prototype curiosity. (I find it funny how it's marked as 'cancelled' on here--when it was never in active development to begin with lol, it was always just a one-off product.)
Wow it´s nice to hear you had/have so much more ideas and thoughts. I fully agree, after hearing all that it might really be better not to switch to renpy. I like the stalker character and hiding aspect. That´s something i would like to see more too.

Yeah, the word "unique" would be the first that comes to my mind when describing the looks of the game. Not really doable with a normal tileset, it´s a shame that the artist is occupied with other things...
But don´t give up the idea please, maybe not now but maybe at some point there will be a possibility to continue.

Yes, kinda funny. I mean technically it´s the most "finished" prototype in my eyes if i´ve ever seen one. It has even 2 "endings", show me a prototype that can do the same :cool:
It might not be a complete/finished game but the abanoned tag for this has a stinky after taste, kinda.
Normaly i would say this site would need a extra tag for "Prototypes" but i guess there might not be enough of them to find here to justify the creation of a new tag.

Well at least for now i know that Quest failed 2 will be the next game i will gladly play once it´s finished. ^^

F-Works

Sep 23, 2020
To reiterate on a previous post: Just because new builds aren't being uploaded here doesn't mean there hasn't been countless builds since the 7th one! Using a single thread on the internet to gauge progress on the game isn't a very good way to judge how it's coming along, I think--and it's frustrating to see countless people declare the game dead because of it.

azraelswegul

Dec 27, 2017
oh yeah, milfy city also doesn't have abandoned tag despite being clear scam and procrastination...well, whatever :unsure:
a quick check on the patreon, the twitter or the discord server would show you how active the creator is and how much interaction there is between Frost and the fans.
(mostly keep in mind that the content updates tend to be exclusive to patrons... but from time to time on twitter the creator makes it know how many words there are of content, or about scenes being finished... it is clear to me that, despite being a slow process, and probably could be a bit more transparent how much of the content is finished so far compared to the total plan, the Frostworks team is not only working: they are working hard)

Reactions: ShadowSpy

F-Works

Sep 23, 2020
is there any other games like this? Super dominate women/females and sub males?
Games like Monster Girl Quest (both the VN trilogy and Paradox) and Violated Hero were my main inspirations for Quest Failed--and you'll get plenty of the same femdom and submissive MCs in those! Though the scenes can sometimes get a bit more violent/extreme depending on your threshold. But you'll get a pretty good feel for if they're your jam or not from the first few scenes I think.

fozfoz

Jan 24, 2019
Seems the best approach would be to consider the game abandoned, put it on your watch list and get a pleasant surprise a year or two down the line.

• Sad
Reactions: Succubus Hunter

Succubus Hunter

Conversation Conqueror
May 19, 2020
Seems the best approach would be to consider the game abandoned, put it on your watch list and get a pleasant surprise a year or two down the line.
This is really sad. I hope their P*treon is not still raking in money.

F-Works

Sep 23, 2020
This is really sad. I hope their P*treon is not still raking in money.
But why, though? Seems a bit harsh to hope for my financial down fall. Dx Especially when I like to think I've been quite active, posting near weekly development updates along with CG/audio previews and have consistently been adding new updates to the alpha/in-dev build over the months as I steadily get closer to finishing the main scenario and all the bonus h-scenes around it.

I get that it's frustrating not to be able to play the newest builds that have come out as of late on Patreon, but it's disheartening to see this thread acting like I haven't made an update to the game since 2018, or have been doing nothing at all, which is far from the case. Using this sole thread as a metric to the game's overall development I feel is a bit misleading and people have been spinning elaborate tales as to what they think is going on as a result. Which is part of the reason I decided to post in here--because it gets frustrating seeing people getting the wrong idea. Dx

Given there seems to be an immense amount of confusion in the air, I'm happy to answer questions people might have if it will help instill confidence again.

Fearnought

Apr 21, 2018
But why, though? Seems a bit harsh to hope for my financial down fall. Dx Especially when I like to think I've been quite active, posting near weekly development updates along with CG/audio previews and have consistently been adding new updates to the alpha/in-dev build over the months as I steadily get closer to finishing the main scenario and all the bonus h-scenes around it.

I get that it's frustrating not to be able to play the newest builds that have come out as of late on Patreon, but it's disheartening to see this thread acting like I haven't made an update to the game since 2018, or have been doing nothing at all, which is far from the case. Using this sole thread as a metric to the game's overall development I feel is a bit misleading and people have been spinning elaborate tales as to what they think is going on as a result. Which is part of the reason I decided to post in here--because it gets frustrating seeing people getting the wrong idea. Dx

Given there seems to be an immense amount of confusion in the air, I'm happy to answer questions people might have if it will help instill confidence again.
I think it's more of pirates being frustrated that something isn't pirated for so long and having no other place to vent about it. Most people on this site learn about the games by checking "Latest Games & Updates" and since there are no updates which will make the game the top of the list pretty much everyone here has this thread watched since long ago(new people still sometimes find it, but it involves a lot of searching, like REALLY A LOT of searching and a lot of motivation to do this searching). One decided to vent, as result everyone who has this thread watched got notification and some decided to pitch in. Actually with seeing how you as developer still keep tabs on this thread I find it strange that there are no tries to gain more exposure for the game on the site, heck, after all this time I even forgot this game existed.

Reactions: User1230

F-Works

Sep 23, 2020
I think it's more of pirates being frustrated that something isn't pirated for so long and having no other place to vent about it. Most people on this site learn about the games by checking "Latest Games & Updates" and since there are no updates which will make the game the top of the list pretty much everyone here has this thread watched since long ago(new people still sometimes find it, but it involves a lot of searching, like REALLY A LOT of searching and a lot of motivation to do this searching). One decided to vent, as result everyone who has this thread watched got notification and some decided to pitch in. Actually with seeing how you as developer still keep tabs on this thread I find it strange that there are no tries to gain more exposure for the game on the site, heck, after all this time I even forgot this game existed.
Ahh, I get that then. As I say, I totally understand the frustrations that come from not being able to play the latest build and I typically don't interject if it's just grumblings on that front. But calling the game dead and wishing my Patreon plummets just because they can't pirate the latest build was disheartening is all and felt a little mean-spirited. I'm not here to scold or chastise people, of course--and I understand these kinds of sites can help give a game a lot of exposure which is why I try to keep tabs on things.

My wish was never for any of these alpha builds to be released to the public--not out of simple greed--but because I fear it creates the wrong image of the game. I've seen comments from mirrored downloads of this build of people complaining the game is terrible because it just ends, or is lacking content and I'm pulling my hair out, haha. When I release builds to patrons, I get to release it in a controlled environment, with detailed scene guides to explain how they can get each scene, and what new stuff has been added, and what to look out for. I only get one real chance to create an impression with a release, and I wanted it to the final 1.0 of Chapter 2--with everything in, not missing voices, no missing scenes, a cohesive storyline and a galley selection and so on, to give the best presentation. But--what's happened has happened I suppose, so I'm just rolling with the punches.