VN Ren'Py Re Education [v0.61] [Purplehat Productions]

2.70 star(s) 6 Votes
Feb 8, 2019
Hi [B]Purplehat[/B]-sama. I saw that the suggestion I believe I said a few months ago has started in "True Hypnosis" path. I truly believe that this path will definitely be a great hit. The brainwashing path is for me as well but this path will definitely be something that will bring "mind control" and "morality" mix perfectly like a fruit shake. the way you brought the intro plot for this is amazing I almost ignored the upcoming H-scenes.

can't wait for it to be finished. Great Job and Happy New Year to you. :)

That said, will the MC have a more "proper" harem as well in here? or just solely focus on just rachel?

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Progress report from the itch.io page:

Version 0.33 will be the next released update for Re Education. Typically, new updates continue the current path the hat is working on, and while that is the case here, the hat is adding something extra.

There will be a new ending, accessible right at the beginning of the game. Typically the hat doesn't like to spoil, but this ending is... not a good ending. In fact this is the reason it wasn't included in the last version. Version 0.30 was released in time for the holidays, and the hat didn't want to dampen the positivity of the season by including this new ending.

However, it will be featured in Version 0.33, and if you want to see it, simply start a new game and when you get to the first choice menu, select the bottom option.

For those of you not into bad endings, Version 0.33 will also continue the "True Hypnosis" path with Zach going over to Rachel's house to have some kinky fun with his new slave.

Version 0.33 is planned to be released in late January.

In the meantime if you want to see early art previews and behind the scenes details, consider paying a visit to the hat's

Purplehat Productions

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2021
Okay folks! The hat has an important decision to make, and you can help with that:

It's no secret that the biggest weakness of Re Education is how the characters look. Reviews that the hat has gotten generally compliment the writing while criticizing the character models.

Well, now the hat is in a position to do something about that:

Rachel3D.jpg

This 3D model of Mistress Red isn't complete yet. However this should give you an idea of how far the purple hat's 3D modelling capabilities have progressed. Since Re Education already features 3D backgrounds, the hat could overhaul the graphics and replace the 2D sprites with 3D models.

However this could take months, depending on the financial situation, and while doing this, developing the story would be on hold.

The other option is to focus on the story and use the existing graphics.

So, do you want the hat to overhaul the graphics or keep developing the story?

The hat has set up a poll to find out:

This poll will run until Jan 31st.

Regardless of the results, this will not affect the release of 0.33, which will happen in late January.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
I highly doubt simply switching from 2D to 3D will alleviate the complaints. In all likelihood, what people are actually complaining about is the art style, which is clearly the same in your 3D example. If people are asking you to switch to 3D, they're most likely thinking that the game will switch to the same type of 3D models used in the majority of generic Ren'py games on this site. (I suspect the same can be said for the people who asked Anax to switch from Twine to Ren'py, most likely thinking that would mean a complete overhaul in the game's presentation, when he would really just be trying to fit the game's existing format into the Ren'py engine.)

At any rate, I imagine it would be pretty disheartening to do all that work only to have people complain that that's not what they meant, so even if people do vote for the graphics change, make sure to probe them about whether they realize you're not talking about an art style change.

Reactions: Jarul

Purplehat Productions

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2021
At any rate, I imagine it would be pretty disheartening to do all that work only to have people complain that that's not what they meant, so even if people do vote for the graphics change, make sure to probe them about whether they realize you're not talking about an art style change.
The hat will keep that in mind.

Truth is, were it not for a weird bug that prevented armatures from working right, the hat may well have made Re Education fully 3D to begin with. But, and the hat talked about this on SubscribeStar, posing never worked like it was supposed to, until the hat upgraded to Blender 3.0. The new install fixed whatever weird bug was going on, and now the hat can make 3D characters and pose them.

That said, you are right in that an overhaul would mean scrapping almost a year of graphical work. That's why the hat is torn on this.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
I think before you make the final decision you ought to remake a couple of scenes you consider representative of different aspects of the game, and see what kind of response you get to those.

Purplehat Productions

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2021
Mmm. Okay.

A bit quick and dirty, but here's a test render:
Rachel3D2.jpg That should give people an idea of what the in game graphics would look like.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
Yeah, I would personally say that looks even worse than normal, although of course the generic not-quite-T-pose could be a factor. I'd say it makes them look even more fake, though. Like a plastic doll rather than a drawn picture.

...Although, it's too bad this isn't a game about magic and stuff like Adventure High, because if you had them magically transformed into dolls and had their character models shift from 2D to 3D, that'd hit a lot of buttons with the right crowd. Sadly, even if you had a subplot where the protagonist forced the girls to become immobile and think they're dolls, there's not really a context where it would make sense for them to change their appearance so dramatically.

Reactions: Jarul

Purplehat Productions

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2021
Well, if the majority shares your view, that's fine.

The hat's not married to the idea of going this route. (And honestly graphics don't make the game) but we shall see what the majority decides.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
As yet I'm undecided. It's a nice model, though one perhaps could use a little more work on the hair, but until we see her in action it's too soon to say.

Purplehat Productions

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2021
Well, part of the reason the hat made a poll is that doing more work on this model would take a lot of time. Time the hat is not going to spend if the demand isn't there. So this is really a "What does the fanbase want?" question.

Vrijgeest

Engaged Member
Jun 16, 2019
The artwork is very bad. Sorry we like eye candy I am afraid and with standards being set so high primitive does not work.

Vellweb

Nov 27, 2020
I will be perfectly honest, this game is not what I was expecting in the slightest, but not in a bad way.

I have actually found the concept behind this so far really quite interesting, I have yet to finish everthing but as someone who takes quite an interest in psychology I have to say I'm enjoying it. I completed the true hypnosis ending, did what I will call the mind shatter ending, and got both variants of the Chloe ending where the MC admits to what they did regarding Rachel. I am interested in continuing further with the remainder of Chloe and then seeing what Kylie has in store.

Sure, the artwork might not be the best and I do see many people complaining about it, but I must say that I don't think that the graphics or the sexual scenes are actually the main focus of this Gamez and that's no issue to me, so any updates to that would just be pleasant bonuses.

You have a wonderful project here Hat and I look forward to seeing how it grows, you already surpassed my expectations with it and I'll be following this as it updates more, so long as the negative comments don't eventually take their toll, it would be a shame to see the on hold or abandoned tag on this in the future.

Vellweb

Nov 27, 2020
Also, if I where to share my thoughts on the current artstyle, I think it has a certain charm to it.

Many ren'py games are just reusing the same assets between each other, but this one has your own work and I really like that.

The style itself is very nostalgic to me as well as it reminds me of my days as someone who used to play a lot of flash games on the likes of kongregate and newgrounds so on top of it being unique work for a ren'py game it's got that bonus going for it as well, but that's just the opinion of some random perv Rachel's age here :ROFLMAO:

2.70 star(s) 6 Votes