Others Abandoned Reclaim Reality [v0.05 Public Build] [HentaiWriter]

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
reclaim-reality-banner.jpg

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Unfortunately, Reclaim Reality has been cancelled.
You can read the entire post-mortem for the game in the link up above; it's a long read, but it has lots of documents we used for designing the game, the entire game's plot summarized, and so on.

We learned a lot of lessons from making it, and learned what not to do in the future so as to prevent anything like this from happening again, too (all of which is also talked about in the document.)
If you'd like a refund, contact me on Patreon and I'll be happy to give you one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview:
Set in the year 2200, you play the part of Melinda, a 25 year old woman with the ability to analyze and deconstruct a situation like nobody's business. Unfortunately, all the intellectual ability in the world won't matter if your brain itself is under attack, and that's exactly what's happening in Reclaim Reality. Melinda is trapped in her own psyche; she's been poisoned, and doctors have been forced to put her in a medically-induced coma to slow the damage to her body. Good news, though; after countless hours, the doctors now know exactly what needs to be done to cure her of the poison in her brain, allowing Melinda to be woken up from her coma safely. The bad news is that Melinda's got two tasks she can only do from inside her psyche, and she'll need to do both well to have a chance of surviving.

The Public Demo contains most of the first "area" of the game, the Frontal Lobe,
and you can get the demo link at the bottom of the post!

Or, if you'd like to read more about the game first, hear some of its music, look at some of the art and so on,
you can check that out below in the appropriate spoiler box!

Thread Updated: 2022-11-14
Release Date: 2019-01-26
Developer: HentaiWriter: - - -
Other Games: -
Censored: No
Version: 0.05 Public Demo
Language: English
Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Controls:

Game Summary, Art, Music, And More:

DOWNLOAD
Win: - - -

PLAY ONLINE
Win/OSx/Linux:

AliceMelindaAbsorb.png BossFightFade.png GameplayClip.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Anon90s

Jul 26, 2017
did they keep that mechanic where if you get damaged or something,your character start to see everything more corrupted or something?

Jan 10, 2018
The plot requires some suspension of disbelief, but it'll be worth it if they can do something cool with it, and the characters are neat enough from what we've seen of them, but...

I really hope that they simply haven't finished the save system. Consider how far in advance you have to save if you want to save before the action sequence, or just deciding who you want to sleep with - if it's a deliberate decision on their part that you can't save during conversations, I don't really think that's a good idea on their part. Also, it's a bit awkward that in the demo currently uploaded, they... Kind of seem to have broken the main menu, so that you can't load without starting a new game first, and fastforwarding to the point where you can actually access the in-game menu.

And while the game looks promising, at this point, the demo... Kind of doesn't actually have any of the interesting parts yet? It does a serviceable job of establishing the premise, but it would be nice to see the brain damage mechanic in action, or a couple more choices to make.

Well, I guess it was amusing to choose Ruth for the sex, but then you feel a bit guilty about it afterwards :( .

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I kind of wish this wasn't put up yet, because there is a TON of content missing from this demo that's coming in the public release; a lot of the people playing this are getting a very incomplete version which is why this is likely coming off as confusing or the plot not making sense, etc.

Here's a list of things that will be in the public release, coming later this month;
- There will be a save anywhere/anytime system
- There will be a dialogue log
- There will be the ability to click on and interact with almost everything in the background as well as use items on it
- Lots and lots more choices and interactivity with characters is coming
- Voice acting will be in
- Saving/Loading/Options from the title screen will be in

Skip text stuff is already in the build we have, as is activating options anywhere and a lot of other features.

So yeah, I'd recommend holding off playing this effectively test version until we get the public demo out for all the above reasons; I'll make a new topic once that happens. :p

The plot requires some suspension of disbelief
I'll say much like Future Fragments, there's a lot about the plot I'm intentionally misleading the player on; if anything seems illogical or weird, then you can expect an explanation for it eventually that'll make sense or it's someone (or something) deflecting the truth within the game's story.

did they keep that mechanic where if you get damaged or something,your character start to see everything more corrupted or something?
The brain damage system isn't in whatsoever yet, but when it is, it will interact with the navigation system, and this is coming after the public release as it's a fairly extensive and complex system.

Jan 10, 2018
Here's a list of things that will be in the public release, coming later this month;
Ah, now I wish I'd waited... More freedom in saving would have been worth it in and of itself.

I'll say much like Future Fragments, there's a lot about the plot I'm intentionally misleading the player on; if anything seems illogical or weird, then you can expect an explanation for it eventually that'll make sense or it's someone (or something) deflecting the truth within the game's story.
Ah, it's pretty clear already that some pretty important things are being misrepresented; I don't think there's any real issues with the writing, I'm just somewhat hard on this type of science fiction. But so long as the characters remain well-written, that doesn't matter much to me :) .

smith66

Aug 24, 2017
Thanks for the info HentaiWriter. I'll be looking forward to giving the public release a try.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Ah, it's pretty clear already that some pretty important things are being misrepresented; I don't think there's any real issues with the writing, I'm just somewhat hard on this type of science fiction.
Please, feel free to; I love critique. What I'm aiming for is something like a 80/20 balance in terms of "realistic science" to "entertainment", if that makes sense, where I'm trying to represent things like brain disease and damage and holographic/VR technology and other things like that generally accurate, but then taking liberties specifically for entertainment/to make the story actually work.

I'll say though this game will be a bit harder of a sell with its public demos than FF is, just because Future Fragments is a condensed, 5-level game, so one whole level demo is literally 20% of the game, whereas what you just played (the first lobe area, the Frontal Lobe) is effective only five percent of the game in its completed form, so the demo you played is more like 2% or so of the completed game.

Character development and such will be streched out longer and be deeper than in Future Fragments, which is more about the world around the characters than the characters themselves (don't get me wrong, the characters are important in it, but you know what I mean), whereas this game is the reverse; the characters take front stage, with the events happening to them being the secondary events going on/to move things forward.

Thanks for the info HentaiWriter. I'll be looking forward to giving the public release a try.
Glad to hear it :D

Reactions: RedPillBlues

ShocLite12

Oct 24, 2017
Interesting concept and a game that I will be keeping a lookout for. I do think the in-game action needs work though. The character moves way too slow even when you choose the speed boost, which is a huge problem when the nanomachines moves as fast as they do and there is no way to avoid their attack. It also makes it difficult to attack the enemy.

Jan 10, 2018
Please, feel free to; I love critique. What I'm aiming for is something like a 80/20 balance in terms of "realistic science" to "entertainment", if that makes sense, where I'm trying to represent things like brain disease and damage and holographic/VR technology and other things like that generally accurate, but then taking liberties specifically for entertainment/to make the story actually work.
Ah, I think my words may have been a bit misleading... What I meant more was that I tend to be critical towards this kind of setting, rather than anything to do with the execution; it combines two pet-peeves of mine, a setting where things aren't really "real" (like a series supposedly taking place in an MMO, or one of Star Trek's holodeck episodes), and treating an ailment by sending people to deal with it "in-person" instead of relying on a more conventional cure.

Now, to be clear in the case of Reclaim Reality, it's using these devices for a perfectly justifiable reason (the brain damage mechanic), so I don't have an actual complaint - it's just that seeing similar concepts done poorly in the past has left me a bit more judgmental than I otherwise would be.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Interesting concept and a game that I will be keeping a lookout for. I do think the in-game action needs work though. The character moves way too slow even when you choose the speed boost, which is a huge problem when the nanomachines moves as fast as they do and there is no way to avoid their attack. It also makes it difficult to attack the enemy.
In our build/the upcoming public build, she moves 50% faster, you take only half as long to absorb the fire, and the the machine stays around for 3 more seconds after descending, so it should feel a lot better to you :)

Ah, I think my words may have been a bit misleading... What I meant more was that I tend to be critical towards this kind of setting, rather than anything to do with the execution; it combines two pet-peeves of mine, a setting where things aren't really "real" (like a series supposedly taking place in an MMO, or one of Star Trek's holodeck episodes), and treating an ailment by sending people to deal with it "in-person" instead of relying on a more conventional cure.
All I can say for now without spoiling is that you'll likely end up being less judgemental of the full game and likely enjoy it on release, given this post and your earlier one. :p

Reactions: ShocLite12

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
streaming Reclaim Reality game development right now :) will be streaming for the next 12 or so hours!

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
I remember seeing this game on the Dev-previews sections on the F95 Discord and I sent some positive vibes to the dev, however I just realized It's a Yuri based game with only robot tentacles (Don't know why they all have to be robots and tentacles, I guess it probably has something to do with plot, however its really boring imo; you could incorporate a huge plethora of monsters). I guess I never got that from playing the demo, or maybe i'm just dumb. Seeing as i'm going to miss out on a good chunk of this game I have to ask @HentaiWriter, why does this game have almost 3 times the romanceable cast as opposed to Eroding Ego?