Others Abandoned Reclaim Reality [v0.05 Public Build] [HentaiWriter]

Justarandom

Jun 23, 2017
I am definitely a fan of this piece, would be sad to see it go from lack of funding. Wishing you the best!

Alaric

Oct 1, 2018
What's up with this trend of putting tentacles in yuri games? I still have PTSD from Demon Master Chris.

Will ALL the tentacles scenes be avoidable for the main char and the other female characters? (as in they don't happen at all, not they happen but you just don't see them)

And is there going to be an option to disable the game over rape mechanic?

Reactions: PasrahMiaw

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
What's up with this trend of putting tentacles in yuri games? I still have PTSD from Demon Master Chris.

Will ALL the tentacles scenes be avoidable for the main char and the other female characters? (as in they don't happen at all, not they happen but you just don't see them)

And is there going to be an option to disable the game over rape mechanic?
If you don't lose to the bosses, then the scenes won't happen, as that's the only time the robots get involved sexually; as far as them not canonically happening (having an option to disable that happening if you lose), no, unfortunately we won't have that as it would completely destroy the storyline (as in, the full game's storyline) and make it not make sense anymore.

We're also likely going to remove or alter the current censorship options as to be honest, it's a massive timesink to enable them (right now there's around 22 or so variations on cutscenes just for censorship for the first area alone, multiplied up for the full game it would be 300-500+ as a result). We'll probably just have the images not shown, but the text remains if people still really want it.

As far as the tentacles in Yuri games thing, when we started this game I'd actually never heard of any such combo, and to date I don't think it's a popular thing (again at least not to my knowledge, not in the west at least).

It should honestly be looked at more as a "sex machine with Yuri" thing, as the second and third bosses wouldn't even be stimulating with their tentacles (the second boss doesn't even have any tentacles), it just so happens that the first boss does.

Alaric

Oct 1, 2018
If you don't lose to the bosses, then the scenes won't happen, as that's the only time the robots get involved sexually; as far as them not canonically happening (having an option to disable that happening if you lose), no, unfortunately we won't have that as it would completely destroy the storyline (as in, the full game's storyline) and make it not make sense anymore.

We're also likely going to remove or alter the current censorship options as to be honest, it's a massive timesink to enable them (right now there's around 22 or so variations on cutscenes just for censorship for the first area alone, multiplied up for the full game it would be 300-500+ as a result). We'll probably just have the images not shown, but the text remains if people still really want it.

As far as the tentacles in Yuri games thing, when we started this game I'd actually never heard of any such combo, and to date I don't think it's a popular thing (again at least not to my knowledge, not in the west at least).

It should honestly be looked at more as a "sex machine with Yuri" thing, as the second and third bosses wouldn't even be stimulating with their tentacles (the second boss doesn't even have any tentacles), it just so happens that the first boss does.
Well, no offense but I will probably pass, you game does look very good and interesting but the whole tentacle sex machine thing is putting me off quite a bit, and honestly I don't really understand what you target demographic is, most of the game is yuri so I assume it is the yuri community, but while I obviously can't speak for the majority, I do know for sure that a good chunk of the yuri community dislike that kind of things, I learned about your game because someone made a thread about it on the Hella Yuri group on Steam and the tentacle machine thing is putting off quite a few people.

Have you thought about having only "female" robots? With femalelike body and voices (if you reach the goal for voice acting), similar to Orianna in LoL. That would make the game 100% yuri while still keeping the robot stuff, and you can add as many tentacles/sex toys etc. as you want, it would still technically be yuri. I don't think I've ever seen something like that (and I would definitely pay for that).

As for western yuri with tentacles, I can think of Sakura Fantasy and Sakura Maids, Lucy Got Problems, Galaxy Girls and those are just the ones I can think of (and obviously if you add Japanese games there are a lot more) and it's not like there are many yuri games to begin with.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Well, no offense but I will probably pass, you game does look very good and interesting but the whole tentacle sex machine thing is putting me off quite a bit, and honestly I don't really understand what you target demographic is
No offense taken, it's definitely an odd combo, I agree; as far as our target demographic, it would be "people who like high quality games". Future Fragments has a wide variety of fetishes, but ideally people would enjoy it for the game as a whole; we're aiming to make adult games to a level of quality where even if someone isn't particularly into the fetishes present in the game, they would still potentially enjoy the game as a whole regardless.

I'm not saying we're at that level yet, only that it's what we're striving for.

the tentacle machine thing is putting off quite a few people.
As a reminder, the enemies are robots, not all tentacle machines; for example, the second boss has no tentacles, and doesn't penetrate the women at all. The third boss has "tentacles" in the loosest sense, but also does not penetrate the women.

Have you thought about having only "female" robots? With femalelike body and voices (if you reach the goal for voice acting), similar to Orianna in LoL.
Unfortunately, this would completely destroy the plot. Without going into spoilers, making them humanoid and/or making them act like humans would make the entire core plot fall apart, for too many reasons to count.

I will note that each of our games (Future Fragments, Reclaim Reality, Eroding Ego, Magic Matchup, and eventually ones already planned like Artificial Apocalypse) are all intended to be high quality games, but they all also all will appeal to certain people and not appeal to others by design; while we would hope people would enjoy them regardless of fetish, we don't expect everyone who enjoys a platformer (Future Fragments) to also enjoy a visual novel hybrid (Eroding Ego and Reclaim Reality) and a 3D Musou-esque game (Artificial Apocalypse).

So we do realize we are alienating certain userbases by having the game be what it is, and to us, that's fine as we are making other games that might appeal more to those people who don't like Reclaim Reality.

That said, I do appreciate you coming up with other ideas for it, don't get me wrong; it's just at a fundamental level, the plot is too structured/locked in by now to make such a huge change to one of the biggest plot points in the game.

(To give a comparison, think of what happened in the Mario Bros movie when they made all the Koopa family into humanoid dinosaurs and made the Mushroom Kingdom into, well, that; it wasn't a pretty sight, haha.)

Alaric

Oct 1, 2018
No offense taken, it's definitely an odd combo, I agree; as far as our target demographic, it would be "people who like high quality games". Future Fragments has a wide variety of fetishes, but ideally people would enjoy it for the game as a whole; we're aiming to make adult games to a level of quality where even if someone isn't particularly into the fetishes present in the game, they would still potentially enjoy the game as a whole regardless.

I'm not saying we're at that level yet, only that it's what we're striving for.

As a reminder, the enemies are robots, not all tentacle machines; for example, the second boss has no tentacles, and doesn't penetrate the women at all. The third boss has "tentacles" in the loosest sense, but also does not penetrate the women.

Unfortunately, this would completely destroy the plot. Without going into spoilers, making them humanoid and/or making them act like humans would make the entire core plot fall apart, for too many reasons to count.

I will note that each of our games (Future Fragments, Reclaim Reality, Eroding Ego, Magic Matchup, and eventually ones already planned like Artificial Apocalypse) are all intended to be high quality games, but they all also all will appeal to certain people and not appeal to others by design; while we would hope people would enjoy them regardless of fetish, we don't expect everyone who enjoys a platformer (Future Fragments) to also enjoy a visual novel hybrid (Eroding Ego and Reclaim Reality) and a 3D Musou-esque game (Artificial Apocalypse).

So we do realize we are alienating certain userbases by having the game be what it is, and to us, that's fine as we are making other games that might appeal more to those people who don't like Reclaim Reality.

That said, I do appreciate you coming up with other ideas for it, don't get me wrong; it's just at a fundamental level, the plot is too structured/locked in by now to make such a huge change to one of the biggest plot points in the game.

(To give a comparison, think of what happened in the Mario Bros movie when they made all the Koopa family into humanoid dinosaurs and made the Mushroom Kingdom into, well, that; it wasn't a pretty sight, haha.)
Well, for me at least, it is difficult to enjoy a game if I strongly dislike a significant part of that game, and I assume a lot of people are in the same situation. I do understand that not all the robots have tentacles, but the combo heavy yuri with rapist robots is just really weird, most people who aren't really into yuri will probably not be interested by the game because the yuri part seems quite important, and many people who are into yuri will not be interested because of the robot stuff, so in the end you will only reach a small minority of people, which isn't a problem in itself but your goal is $2,000 per month by the end of the month, this seem very ambitious and frankly quite unrealistic to me, of course I might be wrong, time will tell.

But I do understand that you have a specific plot in mind and you don't want to completely change it just to appeal to more people, I respect artistic integrity, but I just hope you won't give up entirely on making yuri games if this one fails.

Anyway, I wish you good luck, I hope you will get the funding you need for the game though I am not personally interested.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
So close but so far.
I'm going to start posting about it on a lot of sites this week through the end of the month, which will hopefully help! We're at $1235 right now so less than $800 to go in about a week, I think it's doable. I'll be posting a post on Patreon about it as well later today.

Reactions: RedPillBlues

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017

Unfortunately, Reclaim Reality has been cancelled.
You can read the entire post-mortem for the game in the link up above; it's a long read, but it has lots of documents we used for designing the game, the entire game's plot summarized, and so on.

We learned a lot of lessons from making it, and learned what not to do in the future so as to prevent anything like this from happening again, too (all of which is also talked about in the document.)
If you'd like a refund, contact me on Patreon and I'll be happy to give you one.

Feb 2, 2018
I'm a massive fan of both yuri and machine sex, as well as the combination of the two, so this cancellation is quite disappointing for me. However, I appreciate the fact that you made an entire document outlining the reasons/losses of the cancellation, rather than simply ignoring that it ever happened like many others developers do. Thank you for that.

Alaric

Oct 1, 2018
I've read most of the main doc since I was intrigued and I still don't really understand why were the sex scenes with the machines (when you lose) mandatory for the plot to make sense and why making the robots humanoid was completely impossible?

I'm also wondering if you are planning on doing another yuri in the near future or if you are giving up on the genre.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I'm a massive fan of both yuri and machine sex, as well as the combination of the two, so this cancellation is quite disappointing for me. However, I appreciate the fact that you made an entire document outlining the reasons/losses of the cancellation, rather than simply ignoring that it ever happened like many others developers do. Thank you for that.
We really were passionate about this game; we felt that at the least, since the game wasn't going to get made, that people might enjoy seeing what we had planned for it and sort of a "behind the scenes" type thing of the documents that often go into making something like this.

I can promise that almost everything I work on will have machine sex, as it's a rarely seen fetish and honestly most of the time it's in hentai it's coupled with fetishes that are hard no-gos for me (amputee, inflation, etc.) so I'd like to put more machine sex that's not coupled with anything else extreme into the world (same goes for time stop, and a number of other rare things like that).

As for yuri, I do want to make just a pure yuri game down the line, but I'm not sure when that'll be; it'll definitely be something we'll look into once we've done a few successful games.

I've read most of the main doc since I was intrigued and I still don't really understand why were the sex scenes with the machines (when you lose) mandatory for the plot to make sense and why making the robots humanoid was completely impossible?

I'm also wondering if you are planning on doing another yuri in the near future or if you are giving up on the genre.
The reason why they were mandatory for the plot to make sense and why they couldn't be humanoid lies in the part about what kind of tests the aliens were putting the humans through, and Vera's character sheet/information, as well as a few other things.

The aliens in general had only a slight grasp on human behavior, interests, culture, and so on; think about all the media and pop culture and changing trends and the long, long history of humans, all thrown around and discussed all over the planet. Every day we put hundreds of thousands of hours of new media out there.

For an alien race, trying to comprehend even 0.01% of any of this would be a nightmare; despite spending 30 years and analyzing thousands of humans, they still have a very shaky grasp on even the basics of humanity. Throw in the fact that 150 years prior to the game the world basically got burnt down to the brink of extinction and the global culture changed drastically during that period, and the power surge that lead them there in the first place giving false readings to them, and you've got a lot of misunderstandings going on.

This is why Vera's interests and favorites are so weird (her favorite food is grass, for example), and why some items are from long gone time periods that make no sense that they would be there in the first place.

As an additional hint to their lack of grasp on humanity, the "brain region" area in the menu (where you can look around the outline of the brain) is somewhat "off" from the correct anatomy, and given that it doesn't include the synthetic alterations made to all humans by this point in the future (which are mentioned during the game), it drives it home more.

So because of all of this, if the aliens tried to make a humanoid that actually tried to engage in romantic associations with them or was humanoid and behaved like one, it'd give it away very quickly that something was up; Vera only appears as a hologram from time to time, and only in short bursts specifically for this reason (because her movements and behaviors would give her away).

The other point of having the enemies be these huge, foreign looking enemies, is to better sell that "something weird and unexplainable, very threatening, big and scary, is attacking you"; if it were some humanoid looking robot, the fear factor would go down considerably (which is bad because they're testing the fear reaction in people to see if it triggers the "power surge" they're looking for), being humanoid means they would try and likely reason with it (and when its odd behavior gave it away, that would go back to the above reason), and if they wanted to test their reaction to humanoid creatures, they'd just have the humans react to one another (because to the aliens, there's no real difference).

The sex scenes were mandatory if you lost because of similar reasons; they got a group of lesbians together and wanted to test their sexual reaction to just about everything, because again remember at this point, these aliens are scraping the bottom of the barrel for ANYTHING that could possibly make these humans go supernova and exhibit that huge spike of power they picked up originally; there were a lot more crazy tests and things the cast would have went through with the machines and the environments in general to try and evoke SOME sort of reaction, ANYTHING that would be the secret trigger to get them to explode with energy and power and finally justify their 30-year long mission.

We do plan to do yuri in the future though, yep :)

Reactions: R-type