Which main character are you most interested in so far?

• Eryn

Votes: 7,486 57.4%
  • Lena

Votes: 637 4.9%
  • Lucine

Votes: 1,619 12.4%
  • Raisa

Votes: 1,518 11.6%
  • Rithe

Votes: 278 2.1%
  • Murfi (Lucine's Cow)

Votes: 1,320 10.1%
  • Aline

Votes: 39 0.3%
  • Aina

Votes: 20 0.2%
  • Evana

Votes: 61 0.5%
  • Silva

Votes: 66 0.5%

• Total voters

EricGrey

Nov 11, 2020
Well, thats a first. Can not lauch game exe. Gave all permissions and launched with administrator rights... Tried 10 renpy games just to be sure and everything is all right. Not sure what the problem...
There should not be a "game.exe" file in the game folder. It should be RefugeOfEmbers.exe (see below). You might have gotten something else downloaded.

Capture.PNG

I've noticed that a number of the free hosting sites used here have started trying to download malware when you click the download link. It'll try to save with the same name as the game, but with a .exe extension. Gotta be careful about those.

The last few games I've downloaded from anything except Mega have taken several tries to get the actual game, causing my AV to freak every time.

Try again, and make sure you get an actual .zip file and not a .zip.exe file.

DeMoS666

Jul 30, 2018
There should not be a "game.exe" file in the game folder. It should be RefugeOfEmbers.exe (see below). You might have gotten something else downloaded.

View attachment 2576917

I've noticed that a number of the free hosting sites used here have started trying to download malware when you click the download link. It'll try to save with the same name as the game, but with a .exe extension. Gotta be careful about those.

The last few games I've downloaded from anything except Mega have taken several tries to get the actual game, causing my AV to freak every time.

Try again, and make sure you get an actual .zip file and not a .zip.exe file.
I mean game exe for short, exe of the game, and no tried all 3 downloads for windows and not launched even once. I think there is some additional requirement for the game which Developers din not mentioned. First game on renpy which did not want to lauch so far. Well, not my problem...

Last edited:

Escape Sauce

Refuge of Embers
Game Developer
Oct 4, 2020
Why does right-click go to options instead of save screen?
I'm guessing that's the default in RenPy, I haven't messed with it.

I mean game exe for short, exe of the game, and no tried all 3 downloads for windows and not launched even once. I think there is some additional requirement for the game which Developers din not mentioned. First game on renpy which did not want to lauch so far. Well, not my problem...
No additional requirements, not sure why it isn't working but it sounds like something could be corrupted. Haven't heard the issue reported anywhere else.

Changelog is sooo vague. Would really help to be more specific, or at least decide on a format.
Updated the changelog. It's incomplete but should have about 90% of the major changes.

Professor Black

Jun 14, 2020
does the game end with the direwolves at the village? I've seen this game in here but never played it. sorry but That was very very short for a 2.5 years of developing a game

ioriya

Sep 10, 2019
does the game end with the direwolves at the village? I've seen this game in here but never played it. sorry but That was very very short for a 2.5 years of developing a game
Their methods are similar to the devs of Monster Girl Island and Operation Lovecraft: Fallen Doll. These games are technically and gameplay-wise top tier but that's how they draw you in. They do extremely slow releases and wait until things start to boil over and suddenly release "just" enough content to appease the disgruntled masses. The cycle resets and people keep throwing their money at them. It involves a good deal of psychological play here when it comes to these patreon game devs. The devs play this long enough where their patreon subs get high enough to the point it just snowballs. A good example is Monster Girl Island. It had so many patreon subs after a while that the minority who actually had valid concerns about progress was silenced by the majority of blind fanboys and fangirls. The end result was the dev of MGI disappearing and abandoning the game after racking up tens of thousands of dollars a month in subs for a few years.

Last edited:

Escape Sauce

Refuge of Embers
Game Developer
Oct 4, 2020
MC hasn't even got a kiss yet, never mind getting his dick wet.
Version 0.10 has 1 static h-scene and 5 animated h-scenes. I just added a counter that tracks how many h-scenes have been discovered to the 'end of build' text at the end to make it clearer if people miss them. Scenes are also viewable in the gallery.

They do extremely slow releases and wait until things start to boil over and suddenly release "just" enough content to appease the disgruntled masses.
Nah the reality is 2d artwork just takes forever to make. On average a scene or background takes about 16 hours, a fully animated h-scene takes about 28 hours, and a character sprite takes about 10 hours. Right now in version 0.11 the game has 18 unique backgrounds, 42 separate scenes, 5 animated h-scenes, and 10 character sprites. Add it all up and you get a ballpark of about 1,200 hours. That number doesn't include the GUI, menus, all of the sample images under the content selection screen, basically everything else that you see in the game that goes unnoticed but also had to be drawn. It also doesn't include the overhaul we did for version 0.10 which included fixing 20 of the existing scenes.

The artist and I still have full time jobs. If we were to put in 16-20 hours a week every weekend we'd get burnt out and the project would fail, but we can consistently put in 8-16. We'll eventually hit a tipping point with support that will enable the artist to do this full time, and when that happens the development pace will be 4-5 times faster.

At our current pace we still have a couple major plot points to hit and characters to introduce in versions 0.12 & 0.13 but by version 0.14 or 0.15 we should be free to focus on love interest routes. With a budget of about 104 hours in every 60 day release window that could be 2 animated h-scenes and 3 normal scenes per release.

This is also our first game so we made some design mistakes that slowed us down. Some we've been able to solve as we go, like having the direwolf destroy the MC's sash in the story because it takes forever for the artist to draw. Others we're locked into. Either way pace of development is the tradeoff for hand-drawn artwork. I'd only suggest supporting the project if you're alright with that.

wiseold6996

Sep 22, 2020
Version 0.10 has 1 static h-scene and 5 animated h-scenes. I just added a counter that tracks how many h-scenes have been discovered to the 'end of build' text at the end to make it clearer if people miss them. Scenes are also viewable in the gallery.

Nah the reality is 2d artwork just takes forever to make. On average a scene or background takes about 16 hours, a fully animated h-scene takes about 28 hours, and a character sprite takes about 10 hours. Right now in version 0.11 the game has 18 unique backgrounds, 42 separate scenes, 5 animated h-scenes, and 10 character sprites. Add it all up and you get a ballpark of about 1,200 hours. That number doesn't include the GUI, menus, all of the sample images under the content selection screen, basically everything else that you see in the game that goes unnoticed but also had to be drawn. It also doesn't include the overhaul we did for version 0.10 which included fixing 20 of the existing scenes.

The artist and I still have full time jobs. If we were to put in 16-20 hours a week every weekend we'd get burnt out and the project would fail, but we can consistently put in 8-16. We'll eventually hit a tipping point with support that will enable the artist to do this full time, and when that happens the development pace will be 4-5 times faster.

At our current pace we still have a couple major plot points to hit and characters to introduce in versions 0.12 & 0.13 but by version 0.14 or 0.15 we should be free to focus on love interest routes. With a budget of about 104 hours in every 60 day release window that could be 2 animated h-scenes and 3 normal scenes per release.

This is also our first game so we made some design mistakes that slowed us down. Some we've been able to solve as we go, like having the direwolf destroy the MC's sash in the story because it takes forever for the artist to draw. Others we're locked into. Either way pace of development is the tradeoff for hand-drawn artwork. I'd only suggest supporting the project if you're alright with that.
5? where?

kinda

Nov 24, 2017
so, where is that hidden effigy minigame?
edit: nvm, found one of those in raisas blacksmith but I wont replay the whole game again. maybe a warning about those at the start would be cool.
now the real question is what is the mistery option?

Last edited:
3.90 star(s) 34 Votes