VN Ren'Py Completed Reunion [Ch. 4 Bugfix] [Mr Georgie]

4.90 star(s) 9 Votes

Ld.Pentaghast

Sep 1, 2017
Excellent story so far... Never thught I would almost cry out of sadness because of a game found on this site. The game has it spelling mistakes, as expected from a non-native english speaker, but the story characters and art style make up for the spelling mistakes tenfold. Excited to see what comes next.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Mr Georgie

JimMorrison19

Dec 14, 2017
I am torn between Annie and Melissa. Both of them tug on my heart strings. That is a sign of a good story. It does need quite a bit of proofreading done but good job otherwise to the dev. I chose to agree to hear out Ivonne but when she called to reschedule, had to turn her down, not bailing on my girl Melissa. In my playthrough, kissed both Melissa and Annie but agreed to be Annie's BF and told Melissa the truth on her late night call. That is just how I roll in real life, never been a cheater, have dated multiple girls at once but once a label is put on one of them, that ends any other paths(until that relationship ends).
Try the Ivonne path too. You can meet her for breakfast and still pick up Mel. Her story is interesting and enlightening.

JimMorrison19

Dec 14, 2017
Games with this type of graphics are interesting. I'm gonna check it out
I suggest that you do yourself a favor and play enough times to have him pick all the different girls in separate playthroughs regardless of whom you may initially prefer. Your options will be Mellisa, Annie, Ivonne, and Emily.

Reactions: N0nsens3

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
One of those hidden gems around, good and well thought out game.
Gonna follow its development, though kinda sad to read it will have only two more chapters.
Yet as long as the story is meaningful and comes to its (natural) end, it is better that way than prolonging development endlessly for the sake of cash-grab (for those who can do it/are doing it).

Raife

May 16, 2018
One of those hidden gems around, good and well thought out game.
Gonna follow its development, though kinda sad to read it will have only two more chapters.
Yet as long as the story is meaningful and comes to its (natural) end, it is better that way than prolonging development endlessly for the sake of cash-grab (for those who can do it/are doing it).
This is an overlooked and underrated game, with a narrative integrity that is unusual on this site. The dev has created several very distinctive LIs, who all have compelling stories and a claim on the MCs affections. Best of all, it's clear that the MC will be forced to choose... in an unusual and welcome bow to realism. He _can_ pursue parallel relationships, but the dev has clearly breadcrumbed that pretty serious consequences might follow... some of the LIs (and the MC) are vulnerable and might be badly hurt; he could lose out on his chance of happiness.

_Reunion_ is highly romantic, and I suspect it will reward players who stick with a single LI treat the others with friendship and integrity. That calls for multiple play-throughs... but since it appears to be a relatively short game, I doubt that will be tedious.

jufot

May 15, 2021
The poor dev also has the lowest Patreon total in the history of the known universe, after producing two high quality acts in a four act game. Jeez. I just became a supporter... but he deserves many more.
Seconded! I can't believe this game has been out there for 5 months with abysmal support. I just joined as well. Hopefully the dev will see some traction soon.

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
The poor dev also has the lowest Patreon total in the history of the known universe, after producing two high quality acts in a four act game. Jeez. I just became a supporter... but he deserves many more.
Seconded! I can't believe this game has been out there for 5 months with abysmal support. I just joined as well. Hopefully the dev will see some traction soon.
not sure if that matters, yet perhaps a part of the problem could be the title "reunion" - there are (at least) two older games with the same title (and not very good ones, imho), based on quick search results here.
if you say to people "hey, here is one great new game worth checking off...its called "reunion", many of them would say "fuck, not the same shit again...to hell with those "reunions"!".
though as the game is already well in development, changing title now probably wouldnt be that wise, so hopefully more players will find, and support, this game, as it deserves for sure.

Snowsexxx32

Jun 3, 2018
Noticed that their patreon mentions reworking the english version, so I'll just leave this as a comment instead of a review. The translation is a bit off, but that doesn't seem to be the core reason that the dialogue feels off. There's so much exposition crammed into the dialogue that the conversations don't make sense for the relationships between the characters.

Interesting potential, average execution.

It's always strange when people lean away from their strengths. This game has an interesting and attention grabbing art style, but actively avoids using it and leans on the text instead, which is itself a mildly interesting story poorly written. The story itself could've been a bit better if it leaned into standard tropes a little less if the goal was to be meaningful and realistic.

If you're going to lean this heavily on writing, please put a bit more time into editing. There is soooo much exposition, which isn't itself bad but it just exists in soooo many places. Like internal monologue describing what is currently occurring, as opposed to just showing it. The part that really gets me, that really affects pacing, is the exposition slammed into the dialogue. It gets worse by interrupting the dialogue with an internal monologue that contains more exposition. Is exposition inception a trope?

P.S. - If the dev's on here, and you're gonna keep the name, consider a subtitle or something to distinguish this game. The other two games with the same name have 200+ and 500+ patrons, one just received an update and the other has been completed for 4 years. So this could easily remain overshadowed by those projects.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Mr Georgie

abc123xyz

Jul 7, 2019
Noticed that their patreon mentions reworking the english version, so I'll just leave this as a comment instead of a review. The translation is a bit off, but that doesn't seem to be the core reason that the dialogue feels off. There's so much exposition crammed into the dialogue that the conversations don't make sense for the relationships between the characters.
A big problem is that most people making these kinds of games do not know how to write. At all. It can be expected that not everyone is a professional writer, but often it isn't even amateur. Sometimes it's just plain bad. But this wasn't one of those times, I think. This game is just right in the middle of amateur. It isn't bad, but it isn't amazing either.

Where problem actually lies is in the incredibly awkward English translation. If I were making a game for a language that I have a decent conversational level at, for me that would be Spanish and French, the first thing I'd do is find a native speaker to proof read for me and clean stuff up. And when your target language is English, there would be no shortage of people willing to volunteer for that role. No payment required. Just an advanced copy of new releases and maybe a writing credit would get you several dozen applications. Most of the time, the English in these games is to a point where native speakers can understand the intent (but not always, I've seen some really bizarre things in the past that looked like they might have come out of Google Translate) and could rewrite it to be natural sounding. But this is rarely done.

This one has potential and hopefully the author gets some more Patreon support and an English speaking proof-reader. I agree that the name is a huge roadblock for getting attention from people, though. It's super generic even if there weren't 30 other games with the same name.

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
A big problem is that most people making these kinds of games do not know how to write. At all. It can be expected that not everyone is a professional writer, but often it isn't even amateur. Sometimes it's just plain bad. But this wasn't one of those times, I think. This game is just right in the middle of amateur. It isn't bad, but it isn't amazing either.

Where problem actually lies is in the incredibly awkward English translation. If I were making a game for a language that I have a decent conversational level at, for me that would be Spanish and French, the first thing I'd do is find a native speaker to proof read for me and clean stuff up. And when your target language is English, there would be no shortage of people willing to volunteer for that role. No payment required. Just an advanced copy of new releases and maybe a writing credit would get you several dozen applications. Most of the time, the English in these games is to a point where native speakers can understand the intent (but not always, I've seen some really bizarre things in the past that looked like they might have come out of Google Translate) and could rewrite it to be natural sounding. But this is rarely done.

This one has potential and hopefully the author gets some more Patreon support and an English speaking proof-reader. I agree that the name is a huge roadblock for getting attention from people, though. It's super generic even if there weren't 30 other games with the same name.
There's a huge flaw in your advice. Most devs do have a native English speaker or several and most of them are barely literate. They don't know the difference between 'there', 'their' or 'they're'. Then add in all the other words similar and you have a huge issue. Some don't even know when to add in commas. That is where the problem is.

abc123xyz

Jul 7, 2019
There's a huge flaw in your advice. Most devs do have a native English speaker or several and most of them are barely literate. They don't know the difference between 'there', 'their' or 'they're'. Then add in all the other words similar and you have a huge issue. Some don't even know when to add in commas. That is where the problem is.
It would still be preferable to the writing in this one. Half-step towards better, but still better. What this place needs is a bounty area where people could list themselves as proof readers, among other things. Put in the ability to rate translations and you could weed out the victims of the poor American education system. It isn't perfect, but for most devs in this niche they'll never be able to afford professional translation anyway. Something is better than nothing.

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
It would still be preferable to the writing in this one. Half-step towards better, but still better. What this place needs is a bounty area where people could list themselves as proof readers, among other things. Put in the ability to rate translations and you could weed out the victims of the poor American education system. It isn't perfect, but for most devs in this niche they'll never be able to afford professional translation anyway. Something is better than nothing.
This dev has native English speaking proofreaders. So, again, flawed. As I said: Most native English speakers, especially on this site, have at best, an elementary school level literacy. Just because someone is a native English speaker doesn't make them good proofreaders.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: abc123xyz

Snowsexxx32

Jun 3, 2018
This dev has native English speaking proofreaders.
I'm not sure that's actually showing in the work itself yet. The patreon indicates that they brought in their friend to help proofread, and plans to re-work the English version of Chapter 1 & 2 before the release of Chapter 3, but there isn't an indication that the rework is available yet.

They have a goal to hire a copyeditor if they reach 500 patrons... which doesn't look like it's coming any time soon.

Reactions: abc123xyz

Mr Georgie

Game Developer
Mar 3, 2022
That was really nice!

There are some spelling errors, and I had a small bug: in the final dream sequence few final lines were attributed to Ivone even though Melissa appeared in my MC's dream.
Thanks for your comment, Is great that you are enjoying the game, I'm working to improve all the dialogues, I hope you can enjoy the next chapters even more.

Reactions: Mister_M
4.90 star(s) 9 Votes