TundraLupus

Apr 8, 2020
The lights are on but no one is home huh...
Last response to you because apart from extending the bullshit, this is derailing the thread with off topic crap.
Although I agree with you that the Dev should not compromise their story to acomodate the readers, and that the person that responded to you was unnescessarally rude, I'll desagree on the premisse that a story is only good when the Mc goes through hell, yes that is a type of writing that can be good, but so can wholysome ones, and so can stories that are more too the point, it is a matter of opinion so as the person was wrong to attack you, so where you for attacking them in turn, really didn't get the simp comment as most of the Mc's in these games are assholes and borderline rapists and not simps, I for one like this game, I'm not into the whole slave shit and probably will get rid of it as soon as the game allows, consent is important on fantasy as well as real life, I love myself some bdsm but only with consent, and I really don't go the asshole route but it is there, I understand where the Mc's actions come from, and although some times I don't agree with them I can simpatize and again this game does a good job of letting you choose to be an asshole or not, the Mc obviouslly has his problems but that makes him seem like a person.

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
Thing is with the venom that was unleashed here about that, about a discussion that talked about the past, it was thought to be upsetting to the majority of people so yes it was changed. I would suggest to take this and understand how it affects the creators of Visual Novels that get leaked here and then they find out only to find people decrying the game with no real reason to do so. I've seen this in many other threads by people who haven't backed the game who think they know how it is to make the script, images and come up with the script. I'm not saying you're one of these, but this is one result of seeing that backlash.

Oh I understand this is the net and people feel it's their gods given right to tell the devs they suck and they can't do anything right, when the person hasn't done anything like this and doesn't even know the issues that come up in that specific vn's process. I would ask that like you did here that EVERYONE think about it and be kind by not just saying it sucks or is bad, but to be constructive. so juan palote Thank you for being constructive, and giving your honest thoughts in a kind and helpful way. I appreciate that more than you might think.
Yeah, i never understood why a rape background (there wasnt even a scene, which i would understand more) generated so much backlash.

I dont blame the Dev, he had a well written background and then he had to change it in a way to fit the rest of the game. I am just sad because the new background doesnt really make any sense, and again i am not blaming the Dev.

Lord Soth

Mar 8, 2020
Although I agree with you that the Dev should not compromise their story to acomodate the readers, and that the person that responded to you was unnescessarally rude, I'll desagree on the premisse that a story is only good when the Mc goes through hell, yes that is a type of writing that can be good, but so can wholysome ones, and so can stories that are more too the point, it is a matter of opinion so as the person was wrong to attack you, so where you for attacking them in turn, really didn't get the simp comment as most of the Mc's in these games are assholes and borderline rapists and not simps, I for one like this game, I'm not into the whole slave shit and probably will get rid of it as soon as the game allows, consent is important on fantasy as well as real life, I love myself some bdsm but only with consent, and I really don't go the asshole route but it is there, I understand where the Mc's actions come from, and although some times I don't agree with them I can simpatize and again this game does a good job of letting you choose to be an asshole or not, the Mc obviouslly has his problems but that makes him seem like a person.
Of course wholesome stories have their merits, I agree on that as well. My own preference is darker ones personally because I find it refreshing to come across opposites from the usual standard good prevails, MC white knight or MC complete cuck type formulas that are in a good few of the VN`s on here. I enjoy playing the darker side in games as it lets the inner sick bastard come out and play, meaning I can try to be nice and respectful to (most people) in my real life. Don`t think the cops would really appreciate me rounding up my sexy neighbours and chaining them in a personal harem...ahem.

I disagree about consent is important in fantasy...it`s fantasy for a reason. People should know to distinguish between that and reality. It gives us a chance to be someone else and yes, do dark things...release that side if you want. I also disagree about most of the MC`s in games on here. Many male chars are so cringe....while the bi females come off as strong alpha types...seen it in so many vns. Buy hey, it`s fine we can agree to disagree and you are a polite chap. Yeah I come over rude when some one is rude to me, bit hot blooded I guess ;)

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
To everyone, I want to say thank you for those that are being kind and posting errors and those errors will be sorted out, but realize that if the compressed version is put out by someone other than the dev those comments need to be directed to the one that posted the compressed version. same with the mods that are out there, and I also want to thank those that are kind enough to help by adding to something maybe to help make it better or more tolerable in your eyes. Please understand we do not hold it against you, and really do appreciate it. All I ask is that you do your best to help those that have issues with your mods or compression, and do not think I am saying it to those that DO speak up and help, but this really is to those that might come later.

Thank you all for enjoying what we've done. I will say this, the intention we had was to be 2 script days ahead, but real life happened and we are doing our best, please understand we are trying to give you a great visual novel and one that is different from those out there now. I am only human and my editing is not at professional levels so I will make mistakes, miss things and if you see anything please let me know on that level and we can work on fixing it for the next release but sometimes it might take one or two for fixes like that to make it into the final product. I am personally going to be running through the VN from start to finish here and trying to find things that need to be corrected, even if I correct my own corrections! But this will take a while, so know that if it's in anypart of V0.3 the corrections might take a while to get to Karabinek because i'm taking my time with it, though V0.4 will take priority once i get something to work on there :)

One last thing, I know you like to hear every hour how things are going... (OK!!!!!! I know I exaggerate but I was hoping you'd chuckle at that), but honestly sometimes if we're embroiled in trying to find bugs we won't always be able to post because we honestly have nothing more to post than hey we got bugs and we're working them out, so PLEASE be patient if you don't hear from us all that often when that happens. Hell I finished editing the script on the 30th while I was donating platelets typing with only one hand with a needle in the other arm and I couldn't move it! so we are hard at work to provide you the best we can with what time we have.

Thank you for taking the time to read this mini-rant and request all rolled up in one!
Well, if you want help, i can give you a few scenes that are wrong.

When you select no smoking, when the MC reaches the hotel he is smoking anyway, and one scene where Nicole is sitting on her bed with her arms around her legs, she talks about going to smoke, even if she never does.

And the game still has the error of you talking with Mary about Nicole's blackmail i think it was the end of day4?) even before she lets you know that she found that Nicole is being blackmailed. This has been around since those days were released

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
If your story causes upset, discomfort or other similar emotions in the reader, you`re doing it right...otherwise it`s just another tepid VN like 90% of others.
The best writers of fiction put their characters through literal hell to evoke emotions.
Don`t drop your Story vision to please those of weak dispositions or certain tastes, there`s plenty other tame VN`s for them. Hope you decide to keep our MC a savage Alpha male :D
Yeah, no, i disagree with this approach.

Causing disconfort just for the sake of it is a bad decision and ends up with a bad story

Freki

Game Developer
May 16, 2017
Well, if you want help, i can give you a few scenes that are wrong.

When you select no smoking, when the MC reaches the hotel he is smoking anyway, and one scene where Nicole is sitting on her bed with her arms around her legs, she talks about going to smoke, even if she never does.

And the game still has the error of you talking with Mary about Nicole's blackmail i think it was the end of day4?) even before she lets you know that she found that Nicole is being blackmailed. This has been around since those days were released
The no smoking with mc having the cigarette in hand i've brought up to the dev and i'll look into the other when i go through again to spot new errors or old ones i missed.

Lord Soth

Mar 8, 2020
Yeah, no, i disagree with this approach.

Causing disconfort just for the sake of it is a bad decision and ends up with a bad story
Fair enough, I probably could have worded it a bit better. I `m speaking from Fiction writing
(Did a diploma in creative fiction and have been writing for years as a hobby)
and the point I was probably trying to convey - but failed badly heh, was making the reader feel emotions...putting characters through all sorts of situations and have them come out tougher or for the better, adds much more impact to storylines. I personally think some of the best VN`s on here have real drama. Look at Acting Lessons by DPC...the ending caused a shitstorm but no one forgets it in a hurry. Hey, just my preference but drama keeps it exciting.

Freki

Game Developer
May 16, 2017
Has anyone else noticed that Keira blackmail didint register and scene was skiped ?
There is an issue that happened with two variables conflicting. now there is a fix but you have to start before that point in the story or it won't be on that path. make sure you have the most recent release and patch.

wep

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 16, 2016
Thing is with the venom that was unleashed here about that, about a discussion that talked about the past, it was thought to be upsetting to the majority of people so yes it was changed. I would suggest to take this and understand how it affects the creators of Visual Novels that get leaked here and then they find out only to find people decrying the game with no real reason to do so. I've seen this in many other threads by people who haven't backed the game who think they know how it is to make the script, images and come up with the script. I'm not saying you're one of these, but this is one result of seeing that backlash.

Oh I understand this is the net and people feel it's their gods given right to tell the devs they suck and they can't do anything right, when the person hasn't done anything like this and doesn't even know the issues that come up in that specific vn's process. I would ask that like you did here that EVERYONE think about it and be kind by not just saying it sucks or is bad, but to be constructive. so juan palote Thank you for being constructive, and giving your honest thoughts in a kind and helpful way. I appreciate that more than you might think.
My apologies if you had a so bad experience here. We are trying to keep threads under control but it is not easy.

Personally i agree with juan palote. However it is only a kind of minor point in an exceptional game, so I don't see it as a huge problem.

I hope you will not change to much your vision, i was/I'm enjoying it a lot!
Good luck with your project and remember to report any insult/aggressive posts. They are against our rules.

Freki

Game Developer
May 16, 2017
My apologies if you had a so bad experience here. We are trying to keep threads under control but it is not easy.

Personally i agree with juan palote. However it is only a kind of minor point in an exceptional game, so I don't see it as a huge problem.

I hope you will not change to much your vision, i was/I'm enjoying it a lot!
Good luck with your project and remember to report any insult/aggressive posts. They are against our rules.
I've had even worse experiences here on F95 to the point i stopped posting anywhere. I am posting here because I am helping Karabinek by editing the english translations of his work. but thank you for the apology, I will pass the message to him personally as well. It was his decision to change it, and I agree with juan palote as well that it was not that big of a deal. I liked the idea and it really worked personally. I also will not rehash my experiences outside of this thread here because that is not the right thing to do thus why I only mentioned it. :)

quorkboy

Sep 26, 2020
I think it's perfectly okay for a player to feel that they require fictional game characters to consent to all activities. It's when this spills over into "all games must always have consent from fictional characters" that problems arise.

Everyone has their moral lines they won't cross even in fiction. And that's just fine. But as soon as you start saying that your moral line is where a fictional story has to stop then you set yourself up to be denied things you enjoy. Because as soon as you've said okay to your line being where it stops, someone can come along who says some of what you like crosses their lines and you've already lost the argument.

The correct response to "this game crosses the line for me" is "so I won't play it."

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
Fair enough, I probably could have worded it a bit better. I `m speaking from Fiction writing
(Did a diploma in creative fiction and have been writing for years as a hobby)
and the point I was probably trying to convey - but failed badly heh, was making the reader feel emotions...putting characters through all sorts of situations and have them come out tougher or for the better, adds much more impact to storylines. I personally think some of the best VN`s on here have real drama. Look at Acting Lessons by DPC...the ending caused a shitstorm but no one forgets it in a hurry. Hey, just my preference but drama keeps it exciting.
I agree Acting Lessons did it right, but on the other hand look at Hypnosis, where the Dev just out of the blue and after 9 chapters of the game going in one direction, creates a singular drama just for the sake of it and ended up ruining the story.

When done right, its good, but just putting drama for the sake of it, isnt good at all. It must be planned and executed correctly.

Also, not every story needs dramatic events, you can create a great story without them too

Apr 4, 2018
Had an error that shunted me to a strip club on a date with Emily out of nowhere.
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/day_05.rpy", line 2052, in <module>
NameError: name 'emily_drink' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "day_04.rpyc", line 597, in script call
  File "day_05.rpyc", line 152, in script call
  File "day_05.rpyc", line 1825, in script call
  File "day_05.rpyc", line 2052, in script
  File "A:\P\Reunion-0.3-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1832, in execute
    if renpy.python.py_eval(condition):
  File "A:\P\Reunion-0.3-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2059, in py_eval
    return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
  File "A:\P\Reunion-0.3-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2052, in py_eval_bytecode
    return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "game/day_05.rpy", line 2052, in <module>
NameError: name 'emily_drink' is not defined

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
Reunion 0.3
Sun Nov 01 14:46:48 2020

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
Has anyone found a way to fix the keira blackmail issue without using the console?

I am using scrappy mod and i even did this on the day 8 rpy

if _in_replay:

$ player_name = persistent.name
$ player_surname = persistent.surname
$ keira_blackmail = True

show screen endreplay_button

if keira_blackmail == True:

And it still doesnt work

3.40 star(s) 125 Votes