quorkboy

Sep 26, 2020
View attachment 3906735

This is a nitpick but in 1999 grunge was dead. Kurt had died in '94. Soundgarden had broken up in early '97. The Screaming Trees and Pearl Jam had last released albums in '96 to much lower numbers than their earlier works. Lane wasn't functional so Alice in Chains were done. Ditto Scott Weiland and Stone Temple Pilots. In 1999 hip hop was rising thanks to Mos Def, Dre and Eminem, Britney Spears put out "Hit me Baby One More Time" and girls were dressing like the Spice Girls. The big metal bands at the time were Slipknot and the Deftones. Incubus, Blink, Smash Mouth and ugh Limp Bizkit and ycch Creed were the big rock bands. Alternative had one of it's last great years with RHCP's Californication and Rage's Battle of Los Angeles as well as The Foo Fighters Nothing Left to Lose. My point being women had stopped wearing Doc Martins!
Grunge music may have been on the outs, but the style of dress was far from gone. As someone selling shoes during that time and into the 2000s, I can say will 100% certainty that women were still buying Docs into the early 2000s.
I'll back this up - I was a teenager at the time, the girls at the places I went still wore DMs with their goth/emo hybrid style, and plenty of indie girls and faux hippies (hippy look, but not the lifestyle) still wore them.
Women still haven't stopped wearing Doc Martens!
I'm legit not kidding. I see them all over. Them and Converse. Mostly on the younger generations (millennials and gen-z) but they're well loved footwear.

Could be this is not universal. Popularity has been up and down since the 2000s, and current US demand is falling, but they were thriving at the end of the 90s. Grunge wasn't the first scene to wear them nor the last.

A better nitpick would be that there is nothing remotely grunge about that outfit. Not even with the boots. It's adorable. But not grunge.

Reactions: UnoriginalUserName

UnoriginalUserName

Engaged Member
Sep 3, 2017
A better nitpick would be that there is nothing remotely grunge about that outfit. Not even with the boots. It's adorable. But not grunge.
Yeah, I remember thinking "The hell? It's a sundress..." when the grunge thing was mentioned.

As an old fuck, I can attest to grunge requiring "dirty" jeans and a general "What the hell is a comb? Actually, never mind, I don't fucking care." type of attitude.

4.80 star(s) 306 Votes