Mod Ren'Py Abandoned Rogue-like: Evolution - Expanded Mod

4.60 star(s) 9 Votes

Pr0man

Jul 23, 2017
I checked their github, last update was almost a month ago, and there's basically nothing there. This mod started dying when it moved to discord.
That might be due to the fact that the coders - of which there's not even a handful at this point - are quite busy with their real lives. Again, they do this on their free time without compensation so commitment varies. Not just that, but there's been some unfun and rapid developments (which I cannot discuss in further detail here) for some of the expanded crew involved and thus development came to an unexpected halt. Hell, there's been updates to art, entire new outfits, not to mention writing from not even 2 weeks ago so there is work being done - it's just not put into github.

Reactions: JUnnAmmED
Jan 11, 2018
Wut? No it fucking isn't.

I'm in contact with the expanded crew and I can tell you that they are still working on the mod to this day. It just takes forever because people seem to underestimate just what a tangled mess the base game actually is on a technical level and what amount of workload goes into rewriting basically everything to make it run what you want to run. Then take into account that the people working behind this mod are doing it on their free time (of which some have very little) and finding extra coders to help is not as easy as asking around when that's what you've been doing for the past year and people move onto different projects.

Progress is being made, just because a new version hasn't come out for a while doesn't mean the whole thing is abandoned.
And then we come to a simple question of why would you spend time to change NOTHING for players (nothing they can see), yet A LOT time to change things that are possibly going to get broken after next update?

Pr0man

Jul 23, 2017
And then we come to a simple question of why would you spend time to change NOTHING for players (nothing they can see), yet A LOT time to change things that are possibly going to get broken after next update?
That can actually be answered by relaying some info that the powers that be decided to put out to read on the discord, posted not even 4 days ago:

"Last summer the expanded mod team decided that we would not make a mod using Oni's code but build our own instead. We knew that it would take a lot of time and effort to get it done. Currently our hands are tied because part of our team is unavailable due to life circumstances and the rest of the team is unable to progress without them. We just have to be patient. The mod is not dead and there is no reason to believe that it would be."

That'd be why - they don't just make a mod from the codebase Onis game provides and work from there, but create an entirely different entity. Why bother with something as annoying as that? Because it's way more efficient in the long run and doesn't eat away your sanity. This way they won't have to deal with Onis (sometimes quite drastic and quite buggy) changes every update that lead us to where we are right about now: with no update to the mod as a rewrite of the mod, which is required for it to just to be compatible, would've most likely taken just as long.

Reactions: JUnnAmmED

BishopSec

Feb 28, 2021
That might be due to the fact that the coders - of which there's not even a handful at this point - are quite busy with their real lives. Again, they do this on their free time without compensation so commitment varies. Not just that, but there's been some unfun and rapid developments (which I cannot discuss in further detail here) for some of the expanded crew involved and thus development came to an unexpected halt. Hell, there's been updates to art, entire new outfits, not to mention writing from not even 2 weeks ago so there is work being done - it's just not put into github.
The art never stopped, just the code. If you check their github you gonna see there's basically nothing there, at this pace the mod might be ready a thousand years from now.

They take a lot of questionable choices, like moving everything from here to the discord, prohibiting posting patreon stuff on the discord, not doing anything, among others.
We can only hope someone else other than the discord team starts working on it again.

Reactions: Klony
Jan 11, 2018
That can actually be answered by relaying some info that the powers that be decided to put out to read on the discord, posted not even 4 days ago:

"Last summer the expanded mod team decided that we would not make a mod using Oni's code but build our own instead. We knew that it would take a lot of time and effort to get it done. Currently our hands are tied because part of our team is unavailable due to life circumstances and the rest of the team is unable to progress without them. We just have to be patient. The mod is not dead and there is no reason to believe that it would be."

That'd be why - they don't just make a mod from the codebase Onis game provides and work from there, but create an entirely different entity. Why bother with something as annoying as that? Because it's way more efficient in the long run and doesn't eat away your sanity. This way they won't have to deal with Onis (sometimes quite drastic and quite buggy) changes every update that lead us to where we are right about now: with no update to the mod as a rewrite of the mod, which is required for it to just to be compatible, would've most likely taken just as long.
Reminds me of EXACTLY the same situation with Witch Trainer mod team (russian one, MANY years ago). It started as "fixing Akaburs stuff". Lots of great ideas, but each update took more and more time because of new complex ideas. Akaburs code was considered "pretty bad", we need to remake it they said. After some time they said that they are going to bring less additions to the game, rather "remake the game from scratch", opened 2nd forum branch (Classic MOD and Game remade). Then they decided that they have a good team and growing fanbase. So, why would we want to waste time fixing other game, when we can make our own?
And thats how "Innocent witches" was born. Only took them couple of years to get hate for not delivering anything, and then they removed their forum entirely to move to F95 (and still, more than 5 years later, game is nothing compared to when they made as a MOD team).

Jun 8, 2017
The art never stopped, just the code. If you check their github you gonna see there's basically nothing there, at this pace the mod might be ready a thousand years from now.

They take a lot of questionable choices, like moving everything from here to the discord, prohibiting posting patreon stuff on the discord, not doing anything, among others.
We can only hope someone else other than the discord team starts working on it again.

Aight one of the Expanded Crew here

Patreon has strict rules about DMCA and we dont want our community/servers to be taken down by that. The second reason is we want you guys to support original creations - in this situation Oni - so we dont support leaking or giving away stuff thats behind a paywall. This is also the reason why we did not use any of the newest release versions available on f95 at that time and instead waited for the public release version to be available before we worked on the mod.

*and oh yeah there is Covid-19 thing going on and most of the modding team especially coders have to work pretty hard in their private life at the moment and most of us does this for hobby*

PS. you could always come and code with us if you think you have time or skills to do our Jobs.

1614550667581.png

By That Thot Sleepy Cloud

Pr0man

Jul 23, 2017
Hey Pr0, appreciate the work you're doing here. Still, could we get an update or a progress report? I mean, Pervy has to have a timeline on how much of the mod is currently rewritten and how the coding is coming along, right? And it's been another six months since we got the official announcement of the rewrite.
Glad it's not abandoned, but there was nothing new for the mod since the rewrite was announced, so some sort of progress bar, even if it stagnates for another 3 months, would be really cool.

Also, how come so few games have an FAQ on the first post?
Well, first off - I'm totally sorry I answer to your post this late. I remember wanting to answer once I did read it, but it must've slipped my mind and only on re-reading the thread recently I wanted to make sure nothing was missed, yet there was.

To answer some stuff:
-Why so many threads don't have something akin to an FAQ is beyond me. Case in point this OP. It would make my live a whole lot easier if I didn't have to adress so many questions that just get repeated over and over again, with the answer being as far back as 2 pages tops. It's on Pervy's to-do list, but with the mod currently in the rewriting works, it's on the lower priority end.
-Does pervy have something like a timeline on how much the mod is rewritten and how far in the project is? Welp, sadly I can't disclose this stuff here.
-A Progress bar/tracker/whatever sounds like a neat idea on paper so I've forwarded the idea and there's been some positive responses to it after all. Sure would be nice to see at a glance how far everything is progressing. Though (and this just comes from me) who knows if it's not just more work than it is worth to set up.

What people need to remember is that the rework the mod is currently undergoing is a collossal undertaking and not just something one can slap out within a couple days work. And what some seem to forget is that parts of the extended crew have other things to attend to than just this mod project, even if they still passionately work on it with what little free time they have.

Hounddog51505

Jul 20, 2020
Well, first off - I'm totally sorry I answer to your post this late. I remember wanting to answer once I did read it, but it must've slipped my mind and only on re-reading the thread recently I wanted to make sure nothing was missed, yet there was.

To answer some stuff:
-Why so many threads don't have something akin to an FAQ is beyond me. Case in point this OP. It would make my live a whole lot easier if I didn't have to adress so many questions that just get repeated over and over again, with the answer being as far back as 2 pages tops. It's on Pervy's to-do list, but with the mod currently in the rewriting works, it's on the lower priority end.
-Does pervy have something like a timeline on how much the mod is rewritten and how far in the project is? Welp, sadly I can't disclose this stuff here.
-A Progress bar/tracker/whatever sounds like a neat idea on paper so I've forwarded the idea and there's been some positive responses to it after all. Sure would be nice to see at a glance how far everything is progressing. Though (and this just comes from me) who knows if it's not just more work than it is worth to set up.

What people need to remember is that the rework the mod is currently undergoing is a collossal undertaking and not just something one can slap out within a couple days work. And what some seem to forget is that parts of the extended crew have other things to attend to than just this mod project, even if they still passionately work on it with what little free time they have.
is there a plan to make it compatible with the current version of the game eventually?

Pr0man

Jul 23, 2017
is there a plan to make it compatible with the current version of the game eventually?
From what I understand the idea is to do it the other way around - The expanded crew is in the works of writing a stable codebase from which content from the vanilla game as well as extra added mod content can be put in without much effort on the dev team, as Oni does code changes that are way too unreliable to base a mod around.
In each update that followed the release of the mod, the entirety of the mod no longer worked because of drastic changes across a whole battery of different files. The mod has already undergone like what, 4 complete rewrites(?) just to update it to the (at the time) currently existing version.

was kitty bondage outfit nixed at some point? how do i get it if not?
If I remember correctly some outfits got removed due to low overall quality - if the bondage stuff falls under that I'm not certain. If stuff did get removed, it might make a return at a later date, but rewriting the mod (which it is currently undergoing) is the main priority as of right now.

4.60 star(s) 9 Votes