Mod Ren'Py Abandoned Rogue-like: Evolution - Expanded Mod

4.60 star(s) 9 Votes

Tallyhawk

Apr 27, 2019
I am confused, something is not working. It won't even start. Am I installing the mod wrong?

Last edited:

Pr0man

Jul 23, 2017
This can have 2 common reasons:
Either a) you are trying to install the mod on a version it is not supported for - currently the mod only works 100% for version 0.995c and can cause major issues or crashes if applied to versions past that.
or b) you messed up the installation process somewhere and there's double files, which causes the engine to throw errors and crash.

Tallyhawk

Apr 27, 2019
This can have 2 common reasons:
Either a) you are trying to install the mod on a version it is not supported for - currently the mod only works 100% for version 0.995c and can cause major issues or crashes if applied to versions past that.
or b) you messed up the installation process somewhere and there's double files, which causes the engine to throw errors and crash.
So, do I need a copy of 0.995c, then put the base mod into it and THEN the patch?

Pr0man

Jul 23, 2017
Ah wait a second.
The mega links here are currently stand-alone mods that run without any additional help, so this is just unzip + play. Trying to merge them with any version of the game is going to cause massive errors. Though the patch you want to apply still, as it adds a bit more stuff to it.

On the Expanded Crew discord however there is currently a mini version of the mod that is more up to date, even if some things are still missing portation from the mod. My quick tutorial that I gave out was basically for this version in mind, so scrap that, unless you want to go check it out on the newer versions, since there's more characters to interact with. But it lacks many costumes and all, since porting from 1 version to the next is an ungodly pain when it comes to Onis game.

Reactions: 7546338

b_w_r

Feb 27, 2021
This will be updated or it is dead already?
In the Rogue-like: Evolution [v0...... [Oni] thread it was mentioned (can't find the exact post, sorry) that whenever a version comes out with new there's typically a bunch of followup releases from Oni to fix bugs, and it's not always the case that modders would immediately update their mod since these versions are the latest version for some very short periods (maybe a few days, if even).

For very simple mods that don't do much except give direct access to long established stuff that isn't changed (say an add money command in a part of the UI that isn't getting meddled with) it's not a problem and the mods might not even need an update; but for mods that do something to *every* girl it can expect to get a bit messy when a new one is added and keeps getting changed as more bug reports are sent in to Oni.

Staying as current as possible is a lot of for little payoff; and even if the second kind of modders did the work it'd create a very busy few days on this thread with chains of "hey this updated again?"-messages and maybe some confusion from mismatched release/mods which isn't really helpful for anyone.

TL;DR for big brain reasons there's a deliberate delay by some, not all modders on their mods when a new version comes out, if it's a mod that does a bunch for you, hold onto your towel firmly and don't panic.

Tallyhawk

Apr 27, 2019
Ah wait a second.
The mega links here are currently stand-alone mods that run without any additional help, so this is just unzip + play. Trying to merge them with any version of the game is going to cause massive errors. Though the patch you want to apply still, as it adds a bit more stuff to it.

On the Expanded Crew discord however there is currently a mini version of the mod that is more up to date, even if some things are still missing portation from the mod. My quick tutorial that I gave out was basically for this version in mind, so scrap that, unless you want to go check it out on the newer versions, since there's more characters to interact with. But it lacks many costumes and all, since porting from 1 version to the next is an ungodly pain when it comes to Onis game.

Oh I didn't try to merge this with another version of the game. I tried as the front page said: Downloaded the 0.984h version, unpacked it, then did the same with Patch 7 and tried to copy the game folder over the one in the "base" version. What I get is this:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
Exception: Could not load file C:\Users\User\Desktop\Rogue-Like-0.984h-win/game/mod/Lain_Cheats.rpyc.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\User\Desktop\Rogue-Like-0.984h-win\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 306, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "C:\Users\User\Desktop\Rogue-Like-0.984h-win\renpy\main.py", line 367, in main
renpy.game.script.load_script() # sets renpy.game.script.
File "C:\Users\User\Desktop\Rogue-Like-0.984h-win\renpy\script.py", line 266, in load_script
self.load_appropriate_file(".rpyc", ".rpy", dir, fn, initcode)
File "C:\Users\User\Desktop\Rogue-Like-0.984h-win\renpy\script.py", line 749, in load_appropriate_file
raise Exception("Could not load file %s." % lastfn)
Exception: Could not load file C:\Users\calas\Desktop\Rogue-Like-0.984h-win/game/mod/Lain_Cheats.rpyc.

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.14.3135

Reactions: JackMeHoffsomer

lifesuckz69

Mar 5, 2017
So I kinda fell off of this when the crew brought out that overhaul mod that basically only had some small additions and a lot of new bugs. What happened after that?
Is it back to regular mods?
Am I reading correctly that there was a 995 mod or was that also just some kinda beta for a new system?

Pr0man

Jul 23, 2017
Tbh I'm having a hard time trying to find the other outfits for the girls other than the one's in the shop
"Exception: Could not load file C:\Users\User\Desktop\Rogue-Like-0.984h-win/game/mod/Lain_Cheats.rpyc."
The error message tells me you also try running lains cheat mod with the expanded mod - this won't work. Expanded mod is meant to be played without any extra additions on the side.

Rexaureus

Oct 21, 2017
So I kinda fell off of this when the crew brought out that overhaul mod that basically only had some small additions and a lot of new bugs. What happened after that?
Is it back to regular mods?
Am I reading correctly that there was a 995 mod or was that also just some kinda beta for a new system?
From what I am seeing on their Discord, they're in the middle of a code overhaul of the Expanded mod and, based on everything that I read about how atrocious Oni's coding is, that may take a while, though they have been at that for quite some time now, so who knows when it will launch.

indigoxiii

Nov 19, 2017
I hope it does come out I know it's a lot of work but I would really like to get the costumes again and have new ones for all the girls.

4.60 star(s) 9 Votes