VN Ren'Py Abandoned Roommate From Hell [v0.55] [TiDeMooN]

3.00 star(s) 7 Votes

HorizonD

Apr 25, 2018
The idea is pretty good but it seems that all persons are one kind of monster. The persons he met so fare are.^^

Profmco

Sep 14, 2019
I'm confused. How do you play the 0.5 updates? I've been wondering around the class and showering all the time and it gives you no clue on how to progress. This game has an amazing concept but I feel like making it a roaming kinda ruined it for me. I would have been great and less hassle if they would just stick to a visual novel. This is just my opinion and I'm still hoping for good things for this game.

HorizonD

Apr 25, 2018
Hmm, how was the order...
Go to class > take a nap > go-to restaurant until there is nothing new, after that, I have gone showering in the evening until the progress was at 100% (you see the progress in the top left)

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
We were trying to bring in this new mechanic to get you more to do than just click, but don't worry the game wasn't ment to be FULL FREE ROAM as you saw we put a continue story button and thats exactly what it will be, the main story will be mainly separate from the free roam, you won't need to play the freeroam to progress the story (maybe a action here and there), this system was implemented to let us go free with ideas, so we can add peaople, make short storys and actions and much more, without disturbing the main story.
In this case, an advice : avoid choice that lead to nothing.

You can condition the choice offered by a menu, therefore something like:
Code:
        menu:
            "Go take a shower":
                jump choiceshower
            "Go to the class" if dayofweek in [0,1,2,3,4] and even == 0:
                jump classa
            "My room.":
                jump free1
would be way better.

The game will feel less empty, and the free roaming part less confusing, if you avoid to present choice that lead to some kind of "nothing to do here".

drhotrod

Aug 18, 2019
What a disappointment the V0.5 part was. You basically turned the VN into a grind game. I am not totally against grind games, as long as not too grindy like Foot of the Mountains. But the implementation here is poorly executed. It should have been fully done before even releasing the update. Having options that do nothing is just bad. And then not having to do anything with Daisy is just lazy. Hopefully V0.6 has the content that V0.5 should have gotten.

Varador

Aug 17, 2016
My experience:
Click>> You went to class. Good boy, here is 10 percent progression, now leave.
Uh, that's kinda lame - Scrolls back.
Click>> You went to bathroom, nothing to do here. Bad boy no points for you and you loose time.
What??? - Scrolls back.
Click>> Have you ever seen a cafe open in the middle of the day you stupid boy. No points for you and you loose time for being dumb.
WHAAATT?!?
Oh and repeat this untill you die, MUhahahahaha!
We were trying to bring in this new mechanic to get you more to do than just click
But this turned it completely into "just click", click and don't get content - just number progression on the top. It is "a game engine update" without content and I think it was not a great update to implement it. It's like adding trade system to a strategy game but without any trade items. And I don't think separating the "free roam" and "story mode" is a solution. It would gate content for players who don't want to roam. So you are going to make stuff so people won't see them? Making roaming more accessible and understandable instead is the key. Tell players why they should do this, what might happen, how it progresses the story... in short guide them. Not saying it's easy, user experience is a monster on it's own but this system implementation was like hitting an invisible wall after a nice smooth sailing.

Dunfred

Mar 22, 2018
I seems like this is just an introduction to some characters and that they have nothing built past your initial meetings.
Some you have to grind a few times to get to an interaction but really, clicking on things that do nothing is boring. Go to class, oh there is nothing to do here, go back to your room.
The choices should change with the different times of the day since you do not have classes in the after noon or evening, it should not be a choice at those times.
Oh, and i am disappointed that you do not get to interact with Daisy after the dinner at the restaurant with her friend. It looked like it was a totally different game up to that point.

Aug 17, 2019
Unofficial Android Port for 0.5:

Significantly smaller size as I've converted all the images from .png to .webp, there is not much loss in quality and the size has been reduced by more than half.

If it says unknown developer or something like that just press install anyway. I'm not going to spend money to become a google play developer for something that I'm going to do in my free time. Maybe in the future.

Give Me Your Feedback through DMs.

Last edited:

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Well, I'd have to say this is the worse turnaround I've ever seen in a game here. I've seen plenty of updates of a good game where there are maybe 5 minutes of gameplay, and I am a little disappointed at the length, but I understand because I know most developers are doing this as a hobby, and as a learning experience, and maybe to make a little extra spending money, but are really just doing this in their free time. Life happens. However, this update is basically unplayable. There is no logic to what to do next, no sense of progression of the story at all. The main character who we all want to get to know better is just sitting on the bed with no interaction. What is the point? Did the devs actually try playing it, or asking a friend to play it and see what they think? Like an earlier commenter said, it really seems like the devs are just making it up as they go along.

I think the characters were interesting prior to this update and I hope the devs take everyone's opinion to heart before releasing another update. My suggestion is to actually write the whole story to the end of the game before doing anything else. Figure out what you want to happen with the characters, and then just start implementing the story. After it seems like a natural stopping point in the story, whether it takes 1 month or 4 months, then release what you got as an update. Then repeat until the story is finished.

the66

beware, the germans are cumming
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jan 27, 2017
per request, here is my unofficial android port of Roommate From Hell v0.5.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

from now on my android ports of Ren'Py games have a 2nd, persistent save location like windows. if you uninstall an app, the save files and persistent data remain intact.
therefore the app needs the permission to access the public external storage, because it has to read and write outside its own external storage directories.
you have to grant the permission or the app is shut down.

have fun and please report problems (you can reach me ).

KoGa3

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Aug 14, 2018
Well, I can't quite let go yet. The game was too nice for that before. As almost everybody already mentioned, this update (v0.5) was a real pain in the ass for me, too. It can happen, it's probably a hobby project and you wanted to try something. But what I don't quite understand are the reasons:

- It was implemented so that the player doesn't have to just click around - ok, and what do we have to do now? Right, a lot of stupid clicking...

- The new solution should allow to tell little side stories - sorry, but the Main Story was actually just a NICE LITTLE GAME. That was ok for me, not every game has to be a "feature monster" with tons of content and hundrets of branches. For me sometimes I like to play a simple, uncomplicated game. Like this game was. So far.

With the new side stories and the "free roam" it looks like you try to imitate the big games - in my opinion that will not work. For that there have to be way more content. A lot more! But because of the previous update history of this game I think that will not happen and you (and the players) will get frustrated by time. And then either the main story or the "free roam" part will suffer.

Oh dear, I've got to stop now, I'm already sounding like a bloody know-it-all - and I'm certainly not.

Reactions: botc76

BLACkTORNAD0

Oct 30, 2019
Bruh the game was good before ,its just like the game Indecent desires where dev changed the game overall.

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
This is a bad decision on Indecent Desires and Luke's Way scale.

Why break a game like this, and yes I've read what the dev wrote, but it makes no fucking sense.
Instead of giving players a continuation of the story, after months, you choose to make us jump through completely pointless sandbox/freeroam hoops.

This update was NO! NO!!! fun at all. It sucked, it was boring, repetitive, had no pay-off, was only stupid grind.

I absolutely can't fathom why a dev would go and waste their time on making their game LESS interesting and enjoyable.

I hope this goes the Luke's Way route and quickly gets rid of the BS and not Indecent Desires style, where the game just keeps on stumbling around being a chore for players.

This game was fun before, so it will not be deleted instantly, but if it continues like this, good riddance.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Holy Shit this Game is Bad
It was never one of the top games here, but it was a fun change of pace, with interesting characters. It's amazing how something pretty decent turned into such crap in one update. I just don't get it. The only thing I can think of is that the devs weren't able to make enough renders so they made this repetitive click-fest with 20 new renders or so, and disguised it behind hundreds of repetitive clicking actions. Not the first game to do this (see Happy Summer, A Familiar Venture, Photo Hunt, etc), but usually games start out this way so you know what to expect. This one started out like a good VN with decent renders and suddenly switched to a pointless clicking exercise.

If they didn't have enough renders, why release at all? It's not like it’s been 6 months since last update. The devs should have waited a few more months until they have enough renders to make a chapter or so and release. Pretty much every game here with a few exceptions (WVM, Hailey's Story) have periods of multi-month delays in releasing due to life circumstances, and if the devs communicate occasionally with what is going on, there isn't a lot of negative reaction. It's a lot better to wait and release something that is actually fun to play. Some of the best games here (Deluca Family, Dr. Amana Sexual Therapist, Light of My Life, Bad Memories) often have many months between releases, and have lots of fans, though certainly these games are a large step above Roomate From Hell, quality-wise, I am just illustrating that 2-3+ month release schedules don't neccesarily cost much in the way of fans. Look at Milfy City. It's like almost a year between significant releases and I think it has more Patrons than anything other than Sumertime Saga.

Last edited:
3.00 star(s) 7 Votes