rpdl.net discussion & questions (torrents)

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Life-Selector torrents are being released daily now. There's ~1,400 to do and we're gonna upload 10 daily (to allow the swarm to grow a little). If anyone wants a specific zip early just let me know.

Updated above comment with more fixes also.

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
How is it going with the zone and your torrent links?
I've recently have two post deleted because they link to a site were you must have an account and this is not allowed here. Formally correct, but in my eyes bullshit.

Reactions: baloneysammich

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
How is it going with the zone and your torrent links?
I've recently have two post deleted because they link to a site were you must have an account and this is not allowed here. Formally correct, but in my eyes bullshit.
I bumped the ticket this morning because over the past week or two several people had come to me saying they got infractions for linking to our torrents. The reason being "posting links requiring registration is disallowed".

I must be blind, because I don't see this in the rules anywhere so not only am I sitting patient in a ticket months old, but now random users are getting punished for a rule that doesn't exist.

I'm pretty annoyed. I had a comment removed from the Intertwined thread today with no alert/notification and I didn't link to anything.

I genuinely have absolutely no clue what's going on because I get told one thing, and then the opposite thing happens. Or worse, I get told absolutely nothing and people start getting shafted because staff make up arbitrary rules as they go.

• Sad
Reactions: c3p0

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
I bumped the ticket this morning because over the past week or two several people had come to me saying they got infractions for linking to our torrents. The reason being "posting links requiring registration is disallowed".

I must be blind, because I don't see this in the rules anywhere so not only am I sitting patient in a ticket months old, but now random users are getting punished for a rule that doesn't exist.

I'm pretty annoyed. I had a comment removed from the Intertwined thread today with no alert/notification and I didn't link to anything.

I genuinely have absolutely no clue what's going on because I get told one thing, and then the opposite thing happens. Or worse, I get told absolutely nothing and people start getting shafted because staff make up arbitrary rules as they go.
I think, it is about point 4 of the general rules and specifically the approved file host.
https://f95zone.to/threads/general-rules-updated-2018-september-29.5589/

You could argument that your link have a "password" aka you need to register to your site...

Sam could you please look into it?

I find it annoying if I need to refer to rpdl's site as The-Site-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

Last edited:

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
I think, it is about point 4 of the general rules and specifically the approved file host.
https://f95zone.to/threads/general-rules-updated-2018-september-29.5589/

You could argument that your link have a "password" aka you need to register to your site...

Sam could you please look into it?
That only makes things more arbitrary then, as there are "online" versions of HTML games that are password protected and don't have any issues. They're even added to the OP of threads (notably life selector).

Sam is pretty busy at the moment, he's updated me here and there in the ticket so in general, I'm happy to wait for his feedback when he's ready. I wish things were a bit less, aggressive or heavy-handed but heyo, that's the life on forums sometimes.

On the bright side, we had a super good funding run during April which will cover our costs until maybe July, we're putting out somewhere between 1-200 torrents daily as we're working on the archive now. We've open-sourced our front website and our fork is open source too ( ). We're up to something like, 17 servers in our network at the moment - not counting our members who run their own seedboxes so aside from the politics we're actually doing great. Thriving even.

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
I know, I often run my PC longer for that purpose.
Nothing we're I want to be with my personal project, but as the saying goes money does not grow on trees.

But my ration is over 17 I believe and I download a lot of your torrents.:D

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
I know, I often run my PC longer for that purpose.
Nothing we're I want to be with my personal project, but as the saying goes money does not grow on trees.

But my ration is over 17 I believe and I download a lot of your torrents.:D
Haha. Yeah, the highest requested feature at the moment is statistics regarding amount seeded etc - hopefully we'll have it soonTM. The torrust developers are mainly focused with tracker improvements the last month or two so it's just a case of waiting really.

Will be cool to see total amount uploaded though - nothing quite like some nerd stats!

• Yay, new update!

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
That only makes things more arbitrary then, as there are "online" versions of HTML games that are password protected and don't have any issues. They're even added to the OP of threads (notably life selector).

Sam is pretty busy at the moment, he's updated me here and there in the ticket so in general, I'm happy to wait for his feedback when he's ready. I wish things were a bit less, aggressive or heavy-handed but heyo, that's the life on forums sometimes.

On the bright side, we had a super good funding run during April which will cover our costs until maybe July, we're putting out somewhere between 1-200 torrents daily as we're working on the archive now. We've open-sourced our front website and our fork is open source too ( ). We're up to something like, 17 servers in our network at the moment - not counting our members who run their own seedboxes so aside from the politics we're actually doing great. Thriving even.
We went through this several times over the past months, yours is the first service eligible service to require registration, we have discussed it among staff and unanimously voted to reject it, we simply cannot support a service that would require sending our users to register and give up their privacy to a third party.

It's not in the rules because it's one case and you appealed to the admin, so we are all waiting, until them any posts will keep getting deleted like any other banned host being posted.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
We went through this several times over the past months, yours is the first service eligible service to require registration, we have discussed it among staff and unanimously voted to reject it, we simply cannot support a service that would require sending our users to register and give up their privacy to a third party.

It's not in the rules because it's one case and you appealed to the admin, so we are all waiting, until them any posts will keep getting deleted like any other banned host being posted.

While we wait, can you at least tell the other staff to stop giving people infractions for it? Deleting it is one thing but actively punishing people is malicious.

Also, can you tell me why my post in the intertwined thread was deleted? I got no alert/notification, it just silently disappeared.

Thundas

Donor
Jul 16, 2017

The registration i believe is just there to prevent other sites from leeching the service for f95zone, can just choose a random username and throwaway email without email validation.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
The registration i believe is just there to prevent other sites from leeching the service for f95zone, can just choose a random username and throwaway email without email validation.
rpdl is not an f95zone service, if it was we could just drop the registration thing and keep using it.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017

While we wait, can you at least tell the other staff to stop giving people infractions for it? Deleting it is one thing but actively punishing people is malicious.

Also, can you tell me why my post in the intertwined thread was deleted? I got no alert/notification, it just silently disappeared.
It was part of a convo linking to banned hosts, it was undeted a couple of minutes later since it did not directly quote anything.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
It was part of a convo linking to banned hosts, it was undeted a couple of minutes later since it did not directly quote anything.
Now it's banned? Is there a list of banned hosts?
Also I checked this morning and the post was still deleted, did you just undelete it now?

There's several occurences of my posts just getting randomly deleted, what's going on? It feels like there's 0 communication between staff and you're left to clean up the mess afterwards.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Now it's banned? Is there a list of banned hosts?
Also I checked this morning and the post was still deleted, did you just undelete it now?

There's several occurences of my posts just getting randomly deleted, what's going on? It feels like there's 0 communication between staff and you're left to clean up the mess afterwards.
Any host that is not approved is banned, it's what says in the rules, only links from approved hosts.

It was undeleted several hours ago.

I can only see one deleted post from you this year:

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Any host that is not approved is banned, it's what says in the rules, only links from approved hosts.

It was undeleted several hours ago.

I can only see one deleted post from you this year:
Are you forgetting the time my entire comment history was wiped out?

Also there are still several thousand posts linking to dropmefiles here which is "banned".

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Are you forgetting the time my entire comment history was wiped out?

Also there are still several thousand posts linking to dropmefiles here which is "banned".
Dead links, and they were restored as soon as you put them back up.

Dropmefiles did not retroactively apply changes, old files are still safe.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Dead links, and they were restored as soon as you put them back up.

Dropmefiles did not retroactively apply changes, old files are still safe.
They were restored as soon as I made a ticket to find out what was going on because nobody could be bothered to ask first and instead went straight to deleting everything.

Anyways, to get back on topic. You guys know why I took our thing private (user privacy) and I know why you won't let us link to our site (you claim user privacy).

You guys are fine with public torrents, which get instantly stolen by ~5 leechsites and then everyones IP address is broadcasted to thousands of people.
But you're not fine with a service that requires a dummy-account which limits who can join the swarm and see their IP address?

See how broken this logic is?

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
They were restored as soon as I made a ticket to find out what was going on because nobody could be bothered to ask first and instead went straight to deleting everything.
We don't email any hosts asking why they deleted a file, we just delete the links, replace if necessary and move on.

Anyways, to get back on topic. You guys know why I took our thing private (user privacy) and I know why you won't let us link to our site (you claim user privacy).

You guys are fine with public torrents, which get instantly stolen by ~5 leechsites and then everyones IP address is broadcasted to thousands of people.
But you're not fine with a service that requires a dummy-account which limits who can join the swarm and see their IP address?

See how broken this logic is?
That sounds about right, there is no helping to IP being broadcast by using torrent, anyone worried about that should be using a VPN already, sending users to register with someone else is not something we are okay with tho.

This is what made f95zone so successful among a sea of shitty sharing sites and pirate aggregators, users can come in and there is no bullshit, you just click and get a free safe download, no ads, no registrations, no Kee2pass freemium shit that will get you infected or your data sold to Chinese hackers.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
This is what made f95zone so successful among a sea of shitty sharing sites and pirate aggregators, users can come in and there is no bullshit, you just click and get a free safe download, no ads, no registrations, no Kee2pass freemium shit that will get you infected or your data sold to Chinese hackers.
Huh? Anonfiles serves malicious downloads, racaty has a coin miner and you had to ban another host just last week because they were interfering with files. It's not the downloading paradise you make it out to be. The best option for downloading is mega, and that requires a paid account to make it actually usable.

That sounds about right, there is no helping to IP being broadcast by using torrent, anyone worried about that should be using a VPN already, sending users to register with someone else is not something we are okay with tho.
On one hand you say use VPN but on the other hand you say "we're not okay with that actually".

Which one is it?