rpdl.net discussion & questions (torrents)

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Mario4don edited my comment here to include both versions.

I'm still a bit confused why the dev has decided to split the game like this but whatever.

Reactions: Mario4don

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
But this one does not work, it stays on connecting peers forever
Try STOP & START the torrent, it happens sometimes - I'm not sure why.
download : 28 Mb/s (qbittorent) from west europe,
nice ! Thank you,
Yeah, all you guys and girls living in central and western Europe are going to be spoiled.
I've actually watched some people in the Netherlands finish downloading my torrents before it's finished getting synced to my servers, it's nuts.

SoonAtHome

Sep 22, 2020
can you help me with the security rules ? (im still a bit scared to use torrent magnets..)
actually >
- my windows current user don't have admin rights
- i never double-clic on a torrent magnet (i click drag)
- i disable the firewall app rules when i dont use the downloader
- i kill all relative process after download

scripts i use :
> netsh advfirewall firewall set rule name="qBittorrent" new enable=yes
> launch qBittorent
>netsh advfirewall firewall set rule name="qBittorrent" new enable=no
Taskkill /IM "qbittorrent.exe" /F

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
can you help me with the security rules ? (im still a bit scared to use torrent magnets..)
actually >
- my windows current user don't have admin rights
- i never double-clic on a torrent magnet (i click drag)
- i disable the firewall app rules when i dont use the downloader
- i kill all relative process after download

scripts i use :
> netsh advfirewall firewall set rule name="qBittorrent" new enable=yes
> launch qBittorent
>netsh advfirewall firewall set rule name="qBittorrent" new enable=no
Taskkill /IM "qbittorrent.exe" /F
I think instead of making things awkward like this you might find it a lot easier to use a VPN instead. That would incur a charge though, here's an example .

You could connect to the VPN, download the torrent, and then disconnect from the VPN when you're done again. That way you don't have to worry about messing with powershell etc.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
rpdl thanks for your great service.
My Pleasure!
I got a bit over 10 MB/s via AirVPN while downloading Shattered.
Is that good for that VPN? The torrent speeds can fluctuate wildly over different providers but seems decent.

// in other news, sorry if I miss any big releases tonight, i have IRL obligations that'll keep me away for ~12 hours. I've a feeling I'll miss the college-kings update, if it does pop while I'm gone I'll get it up as soon as I'm back :)

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
Is that good for that VPN? The torrent speeds can fluctuate wildly over different providers but seems decent.
Seems good to me!

Mega is a hassle, and WorkUpload gives maybe 500 kB/s max at the moment...

Most of the others don't agree with my AV.

Edit: just got 16MB/s out of Mega.
According to Speedtest I should get 24MB/s via VPN.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: RPDL

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
I use utorrent 2.2.1 from 2011, I think I have actually used it since 2011. Whenever I get a new PC or reformat I get it again from old apps.
Yeah for sure, it's the last version before ads! Only reason I didn't add it to OP was because it's not open source but otherwise, it's a very solid client.
I currently use uTorrent as well. I can live with the minor ads and it seems to mesh really well with my Firefox as an Add-on. When BitTorrent was still just starting out, I really liked a program called Azureus. It was open source, 100% Java and ran slick. But then they added all that proprietary crap and changed it to Vuze and I stopped using it.

I've been an end-user of this tech since the 80's really. I still remember my first BBS running on an old Atari 520ST with 4 chained hard drives. I couldn't afford a multi-line phone so only one user could dial in to download whatever game I had up at the time, lol. Those hard drives cost more then my car at the time! 80MG of storage for over a thousand bucks!! :cool:

Then there was internet and Usenet, Napster, eDonkey, eMule and then Torrents.

I love torrents. It's great what rpdl is doing here. I downloaded a recent game the other day using his torrent (think it was right after Nopy went down) and even though the torrent was less then a day old, I still DL'd it in ~4mins and 130MB/s or so. What's awesome too is he uses a seedbox so you don't have to wait until so many people are seeding. Not like the early days of torrents when the speed would go up and down, depending on the amount of peers in the swarm.