RPG Maker MV Repackaged Games

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote

yamipleb

Oct 27, 2018
I'm uploading my package right now, assets are 20% of the original size.
what is your method for compressing assets?
quantizing pngs or converting to lossy jpeg? or bundling libs for (lossy) webp or other formats?
(maybe i've missed where you mention it, sorry if so.)

kin-kun

Modder
Jul 10, 2020
So I just put Sylphy and the Sleepless Island v1.03.01 up.

what is your method for compressing assets?
quantizing pngs or converting to lossy jpeg? or bundling libs for (lossy) webp or other formats?
(maybe i've missed where you mention it, sorry if so.)
I put that in the change log, but I haven't described the process in much detail. Basically, I take the original image, convert it to WEBP, AVIF and run quantizing on the PNG, such that the quality is pretty much the same (yes there's a little loss, but I limit to a worst case of 85% of original quality). Then I take the smallest file that resulted from those conversions.

As for audio, that's more straightforward, simple conversion to Opus, 32kbps/channel.

If there's video, that's typically reencoded with VP9 (to preserve transparency).

Edit:
You can find the technical details about AVIF here: https://f95zone.to/threads/79700/post-6192996

Last edited:

yamipleb

Oct 27, 2018
[...] convert it to WEBP, AVIF and run quantizing on the PNG, such that the quality is pretty much the same (yes there's a little loss, but I limit to a worst case of 85% of original quality). Then I take the smallest file that resulted from those conversions.
As for audio, that's more straightforward, simple conversion to Opus, 32kbps/channel.
If there's video, that's typically reencoded with VP9 (to preserve transparency).
Edit:
You can find the technical details about AVIF here: https://f95zone.to/threads/79700/post-6192996
thanks for the info!
i have a pretty similar process for compressing games for myself, although much lower tolerance for quality loss.
and wow i hadn't realized that recent nwjs supports AVIF. that's great to know
been settling for whatever can be done with jpeg/png optimizers and webp encoder, in wait for broader jpegxl support. will be great to add AVIF to the compression/encoding scripts.

kin-kun

Modder
Jul 10, 2020
That seems easy af, thanks!
Well yes and no. You can replace the PixiJS, but depending on the version, it can mess up layer/window rendering. As a result the core often needs to be updated, and sometimes plugins to prevent rendering issues. I've been moving away from updating PixiJS as a result.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Well yes and no. You can replace the PixiJS, but depending on the version, it can mess up layer/window rendering. As a result the core often needs to be updated, and sometimes plugins to prevent rendering issues. I've been moving away from updating PixiJS as a result.
It seems that he has an issue with a game on Windows 11.

kin-kun

Modder
Jul 10, 2020
It seems that he has an issue with a game on Windows 11.
I believe there's a GitHub project with an updated core/PixiJS, but again use with caution. I found some plugins, such as TMAnimeLight needed their Z layer adjusted to prevent random light changes at night.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I found this
but it updates to v5, I was thinking if I could update to the latest v6.
v5 of pixi is used by RPG Maker MZ! Not sure if you can apply it to a MV game.

kin-kun

Modder
Jul 10, 2020
v5 of pixi is used by RPG Maker MZ! Not sure if you can apply it to a MV game.
You can upgrade to v5, and some of my games have it. v6 has major changes to the API and will require a lot of work to fix up.

Reactions: cold_arctus

Goldgod02

Jan 7, 2021
Can you please make Dohna Dohna: Let’s Do Bad Things Together [Final] [Alicesoft/Shiravune] available to joiplay

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote