Edvin

Jun 3, 2017
Thanks for saying :D And yeah, that's the gist of it. It's definitely possible they've fucked in the past, especially with Glasha's comments on Roman's dick, but they're both smart enough not to mess with their dynamic now.
That may be true, but people don't want play games that offer only "smart" decisions.
Let us be stupid! Chaos and mayhem! Hamsters for everyone! Tiax rules! :p

In my country we have a saying (translation is not quite ideal but it is sufficient):
"The ideal girlfriend is your friend from the pub"

Many people misunderstand (possible) romance between Romanc and Glasha.
Certainly it would not be a great confession of emotions.
Best term would be "open relationship" or "friends with benefits".
Something like this would be perfect for those two.

cr24dome

Dec 27, 2019
That may be true, but people don't want play games that offer only "smart" decisions.
Let us be stupid! Chaos and mayhem! Hamsters for everyone! Tiax rules! :p
But games are also by necessity limited. Players will be limited in their options, and I think the options presented allowed the game to be true to itself.

Many people misunderstand (possible) romance between Romanc and Glasha.
Certainly it would not be a great confession of emotions.
Best term would be "open relationship" or "friends with benefits".
Something like this would be perfect for those two.
Relationships are not always easily managed, and once unleashed may be impossible to restrain. Additionally, the subtext already has Glasha and Roman in a very delicate relationship. Much of the theme of the story centers around domination and submission, and we see that Glasha already submits herself to Roman in the realm of leadership/following. We see that it's not necessarily an easy route for her, and she teases Roman with her "brains" quip. However, she does follow because it allows her the freedom to live simply. We additionally see that this relationship can be upset if Roman chooses to follow Carmen, so adding a romantic angle to their relationship can easily upend things.

Edvin

Jun 3, 2017
We additionally see that this relationship can be upset if Roman chooses to follow Carmen, so adding a romantic angle to their relationship can easily upend things.
I am perfectly fine with that.
Route, "Fuck it, let's kill that bitch and leave, just you and me Glasha" is exactly what we need.

Reactions: Esti and cr24dome

kystos

Oct 12, 2017
That is true. One day we'll make GlashaQuest and right this wrong by having Glasha storm her way across the continent, decapitating nobles and drinking ale.
We need more Ash anyway. Preferable naked, but I'm not difficult to please where green ladies are concerned.

Oozora

Dec 1, 2019
that was fun? hope there will be daz itf or more background....hmm possibly more trouble?quest? kiling attic?

Kylar Stern

Jul 29, 2017
Okay...so any way you do it, Carmen escapes. So does Sanguine Rose 2 start with her at the mercy of her Queen? Go out on a quest to seek vengeance? I gots to know.

Yuuki4

Jun 30, 2018
Thanks! We're currently working on a polished version for release on Steam, as well as a whole new game that's very different to SR, but we might be returning to Carmen for a sequel (or prequel) eventually. She's so much fun to write :D

We're working on a polished Steam version but if you've played 3.6 then that's the "finished" game. If we add to the story it will probably be in a sequel after we've made Joystick Bliss.

That looks pretty suspect to me. For a while now we've been releasing Sanguine Rose using webp files (which are much smaller than lossless png). So no version that we've released has been over 500MB, never mind 1GB. I'd guess they've either uploaded an earlier build (so lossless png) with all versions (PC/Mac/Android) or they've uploaded something else along with the game.
Hi there! I quite like this game. The artwork is stunning, and I like the storytelling. I also quite like that Ronan (e.g. the player) never REALLY wins it all. The choices matter, and it's my job to choose what Ronan gets out of if ("Wholesome end" is the best ending.)

If you are making a "polished version" for Steam, might I suggest adding a proper scenes gallery, not just a CG-gallery.

It would not take you long to code (Ren'py is amazing xD), but for the end user the quality of life addition is immesurable.

I currently have my own poor-mans version of a "scenes gallery", simply by having saves at the "important" plot points, but that was honestly just painstakingly annoying to make. Especially when I realized that the gallery "only" was CG-gallery after my first play-through.

Do with that what you will, this is just a suggestion :)

Reactions: Dusky Hallows

Dusky Hallows

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2017
I loved the art of the game!
It would be nice if we could choose which character we want to play haha I would love to see the history from Carmen's perspective. I'm not a big fan of playing with male protagonist.

PS. I only played the beginning of the game so far.
Thanks! That's actually something I've thought of before. We could expand the content of the game a lot without having to make more base assets by making certain playthroughs unlock new characters. If me and Duski ever return to Sanguine Rose, I would be very tempted to do a remake that explores what happens to the other characters over the course of the 3 days, and why they make the decisions they do.

Okay...so any way you do it, Carmen escapes. So does Sanguine Rose 2 start with her at the mercy of her Queen? Go out on a quest to seek vengeance? I gots to know.
That's the question when it comes to the possibility of a sequel: deciding which ending is "canon". I think I'd want to pick up either from the Wholesome ending in Hythe, or from the route where you nearly kill Carmen but let her go at the very end, and stay with Roman as our POV. I can also see picking up from the ending where Roman joins the Sanguine Rose army but plans to betray Carmen. A whole game about manoeuvring through the ranks, playing Carmen's dom/sub games, trying to get close enough to kill her would be interesting.

Holy.. I wish this game was so much longer. I loved everything about it.
Thanks!
Hi there! I quite like this game. The artwork is stunning, and I like the storytelling. I also quite like that Ronan (e.g. the player) never REALLY wins it all. The choices matter, and it's my job to choose what Ronan gets out of if ("Wholesome end" is the best ending.)

If you are making a "polished version" for Steam, might I suggest adding a proper scenes gallery, not just a CG-gallery.

It would not take you long to code (Ren'py is amazing xD), but for the end user the quality of life addition is immesurable.

I currently have my own poor-mans version of a "scenes gallery", simply by having saves at the "important" plot points, but that was honestly just painstakingly annoying to make. Especially when I realized that the gallery "only" was CG-gallery after my first play-through.

Do with that what you will, this is just a suggestion :)
Thank you! Just to check, you mean being able to replay any scene in the game once you've played it once, right? If so it's something I've thought about before actually. There's a lot of variables to consider in SR specifically that make it harder than I imagine it is for some Renpy titles, but it's certainly possible.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Thank you! Just to check, you mean being able to replay any scene in the game once you've played it once, right? If so it's something I've thought about before actually. There's a lot of variables to consider in SR specifically that make it harder than I imagine it is for some Renpy titles, but it's certainly possible.
See the REPLAY section:

Maybe different buttons to replay scenes with different paths. Set up replay specific variables before you run the replay, then use in_replay to decide to check them or the regular version of those variables.

Reactions: Dusky Hallows

Dusky Hallows

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2017
See the REPLAY section:

Maybe different buttons to replay scenes with different paths. Set up replay specific variables before you run the replay, then use in_replay to decide to check them or the regular version of those variables.
Totally, when I looked into this before my plan was for scenes to unlock once all the art within them had been unlocked, and then replaying it would jump to a label which allowed the player to set variables before beginning the scene proper. So something like:
Code:
label scene1ReplaySetup:
    n "Var 1 is:"
    menu:
        "True":
            $Var1 = True
        "False":
            $Var1 = False
    jump scene1Start

label scene1Start:
    #etc
And if that came out too messy then default variables would be the way to go.

Kylar Stern

Jul 29, 2017
That's the question when it comes to the possibility of a sequel: deciding which ending is "canon". I think I'd want to pick up either from the Wholesome ending in Hythe, or from the route where you nearly kill Carmen but let her go at the very end, and stay with Roman as our POV. I can also see picking up from the ending where Roman joins the Sanguine Rose army but plans to betray Carmen. A whole game about manoeuvring through the ranks, playing Carmen's dom/sub games, trying to get close enough to kill her would be interesting.
And then he gets close enough, but can't do it because she already won the game. :love:

spamhere

Apr 10, 2018
Why are the fireplace sounds in .flac format? Even though its not that big, that still seems like a pointless waste of space...

Phantasos

Dec 20, 2017
I'm all for the wholesome ending as I need more of Roman and Crow. I absolutely loved the lovey-dovey scene between the two!

Dusky Hallows

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2017
So I know y'all are dirty pirates (I say that with love) but the , and even if you've got no intention of paying for it (although I'd love it if you did) it's also super useful for boosting our signal if you add us to your wishlists!

so likes, retweets, and comments are also super appreciated. We like making lewd games, and a good launch helps us put food on the table and keep doing that, so anything y'all are willing to do would be amazing. If nothing else, there's a pretty nifty trailer you can watch.

(Also yes, the Steam version does have a scene gallery)

4.20 star(s) 78 Votes