VN Ren'Py Secret of the Island [v0.02.07.01] [Chaste Degenerate]

3.50 star(s) 4 Votes

ronan333

Jan 23, 2020
Personally I like the slow build. Some games can be a little over the top with that but this has a ways to go before it reaches that point. I'd love to see the shows tradition of random guest appearances be used to bring in a celeb or two from the era. Don't rush to finish the game when you can use this troupe to stretch it out a bit. Maybe Joanie from Happy Days, Morticia from the Addams family, Jeanie, Batgirl, Lily Munster... There's a lot of options for quick fun while the story developes.
Yes, and I'd like to see every one of them naked.

Reactions: Perry Hussey

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
Personally I like the slow build. Some games can be a little over the top with that but this has a ways to go before it reaches that point. I'd love to see the shows tradition of random guest appearances be used to bring in a celeb or two from the era. Don't rush to finish the game when you can use this troupe to stretch it out a bit. Maybe Joanie from Happy Days, Morticia from the Addams family, Jeanie, Batgirl, Lily Munster... There's a lot of options for quick fun while the story developes.
Interestingly I did think of that, and Jeanie would have been the first guest. But that was a plan only if I was going to expand the story, and that would only happen if the visual novel "took off".

Also, after spending over a year working on getting the characters to look right, I am significantly burned out on creating lookalike characters. I even tried a program that used photos and automatically creates the character, and was not impressed with the results.

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Interestingly I did think of that, and Jeanie would have been the first guest. But that was a plan only if I was going to expand the story, and that would only happen if the visual novel "took off".

Also, after spending over a year working on getting the characters to look right, I am significantly burned out on creating lookalike characters. I even tried a program that used photos and automatically creates the character, and was not impressed with the results.
You did a dang good job on MaryAnne, that's what's most important to me. (And my opnion is the most valid obviously :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: )

foghat

Oct 29, 2022
"...significantly burned out..." usually means this will never be completed. Too bad. It was a good idea.

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
"...significantly burned out..." usually means this will never be completed. Too bad. It was a good idea.
Still working on it, but unfortunately at a snail's pace right now due to life and multiple jobs. (If you want to eat, and sleep inside, for some reason you need money.)

But you need to reread what I was writing about. I was being specific about creating "look-alike characters." I wasn't working at the time, so I spent 7 days a week on them, and it still took a year.

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
Any news on an update yet?
This year has been hell for me, but I am inching along, slowly getting further on this project.

Being pulled in so many directions right now that I can barely find the time to work on it.

But know that I am working on it, and unless I die, or get thrown into the nut house, (more likely at this point,) I will finish this.

Things will clear up, and I will be back on track eventually.

Jan 15, 2019
This year has been hell for me, but I am inching along, slowly getting further on this project.

Being pulled in so many directions right now that I can barely find the time to work on it.

But know that I am working on it, and unless I die, or get thrown into the nut house, (more likely at this point,) I will finish this.

Things will clear up, and I will be back on track eventually.
Thank you for replying so quickly

LordOgre

Mar 3, 2017
I am looking forward to this game. I hope the Chaste doesn't give up on it. I think it has some great potential.

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
I decided to throw a quick update here. I generally update twice a month on Itch, Subscribestar, and Patreon.

First I am still working on The Secret of the Island. But I am embarrassed at the small amount I have done since the last update.

A series of events that started before I ever released The Secret of the Island happened, and things began to spiral. Medical issues, a disability, a drop in income, and being unable to work during the pandemic really took a toll on our savings.

We smoothed things over by living on credit cards.

I finally was able to go back to work, but we had to cover 3 major expenses, and buy a car since ours crapped out. The biggest of those expenses was negotiated onto a payment plan that will last years.

Now I hate blogging about my life, but people do need to know why things are so slow.

Right now I am working 3 jobs, 7 days a week, so finding time to work on the visual novel has been harder to come by, and when I do have free time I have the urge to sit and do nothing.

We got over the hump, and we are slowly digging ourselves out.

I recently set aside 2 hours a week to work on my project, but that was barely enough, and I haven’t been able to use each 2 hour time. It doesn’t help that I am constantly fighting against burnout.

As I knock down this debt, and gain more breathing room, I will be increasing my available time to work on the visual novel.

Just know that I will finish this.

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
Any word from Chaste
Word.

Seriously things haven't been good for over a year. I do work on my project, but finding the time has been a big problem. I planned on starting this year by cutting some hours from work, and ended up spending this month putting out a lot of (metaphorical) fires.

I'm even close to 2 weeks behind on the update I had planned for SubscribeStar, Patreon, and Itch. Problem is when I do update, it's mostly about me bitching that I have no free time.

But while I am embarrassed about the amount of work I have accomplished since the last update, I am still working on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: LordOgre

alukcoR

Feb 23, 2017
Word.

Seriously things haven't been good for over a year. I do work on my project, but finding the time has been a big problem. I planned on starting this year by cutting some hours from work, and ended up spending this month putting out a lot of (metaphorical) fires.

I'm even close to 2 weeks behind on the update I had planned for SubscribeStar, Patreon, and Itch. Problem is when I do update, it's mostly about me bitching that I have no free time.

But while I am embarrassed about the amount of work I have accomplished since the last update, I am still working on it.
Really hoping this survives. I'd be lying if I said I'm optimistic. Sounds like you really need a shared workload with a partner. It' highly unlikely any project is going to take off until you're able to put out a decent playthrough and a regular schedule. But I do check in on the game for a reason. It has a ton of promise and content potential as I spelled out above.

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
Really hoping this survives. I'd be lying if I said I'm optimistic. Sounds like you really need a shared workload with a partner. It' highly unlikely any project is going to take off until you're able to put out a decent playthrough and a regular schedule. But I do check in on the game for a reason. It has a ton of promise and content potential as I spelled out above.
I have dealt with a lot for over a year now, and as a result this project has been inching along slowly. I admit the progress is pitiful, but I haven't stopped working on it.

I went to 2 jobs, then 3. I carved out an afternoon, then another. But it is hard to not let that time get filled up with other crap.
Also hard is when you work all the time and finally sit down, you don't want to move.

Next week I carve out a whole evening. Specifically to make more time for this project. (And maybe a little for my sanity.) There's no way I could have a regular scheduled release, and while it's possible I might be able to carve out more time, I expect to keep working too many hours through the rest of the year.

But I am not giving up on this project.

3.50 star(s) 4 Votes