VN Ren'Py Secret of the Island [v0.02.07.01] [Chaste Degenerate]

3.50 star(s) 4 Votes

ronan333

Jan 23, 2020
There's a good B&W parody out there somewhere. Of course, June has massive jugs and it was Wally who got the beaver.
For Real? Was it called Leave It to Beaver or something else? I want to track it down for.. um.. research purposes.

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
Updated my review to include the latest update.
On the issue with the Morality Alert, I am not sure if you mean it is dinging and popping up twice, because I checked and that is not happening.

But if you mean they are showing the same thing, actually they aren't. I might have made a mistake making both images red, but they do say different things.

Also it is correct that when morality decreases there is a ding, and when it increases there is a buzz. I can see that throwing a person off, but the purpose is to reduce his morality.

I will change the color for the next update.

Vreejack

Oct 7, 2018
If we assume that the show was extremely stupid because of the hypnosis treatment, then it becomes much more bearable. People aren't really this stupid and clumsy, it's just an affect of the experiment, after all.

Please try to avoid making the written story as stupid as the show was. You also might try making Gilligan look younger, as some of the actors were older than their characters. It would make his naivety more believable than it was when he was played by a 30-year-old Bob Denver. Making him 19 would explain a lot. Dawn Wells was in her late 20's and could drop to 21, and Tina Loise was even older than Denver, but she already looks a bit younger in your rendering.

ronan333

Jan 23, 2020
The characters are portrayed well and look great, but for a sex parody there was a surprising lack of skin shown. I know it's customary to hold off on actual sex acts to build interest, but those frumpy outfits have got to go. Perhaps a storm could come through and destroy most of their clothing or they encounter a heat wave; either way give us something!

As an extra thought, it would be hilarious if Gilligan accidentally used "the catchphrase" around Mrs. Howell and she started coming on to him.

oh45

Jul 1, 2017
On the issue with the Morality Alert, I am not sure if you mean it is dinging and popping up twice, because I checked and that is not happening.

But if you mean they are showing the same thing, actually they aren't. I might have made a mistake making both images red, but they do say different things.
I agree that the sound is correct and differs between morality up (ding) and down (buzz), but the text is red for both and swapped: There's "Morality Decreased" for up/ding and "Morality Increased" for down/buzz.

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
I agree that the sound is correct and differs between morality up (ding) and down (buzz), but the text is red for both and swapped: There's "Morality Decreased" for up/ding and "Morality Increased" for down/buzz.
The purpose is to reduce his morality, not increase it. I hinted at this in an earlier part of the story. There are options that will not appear if his morality is too high. But you are correct they should not both be red. (And if you peeked at the file name in the GUI, they are intentionally reversed.)

I color coded each stat rather than the increase and decrease, and should have realized that red would be seen as negative. I was using the sound as the trigger for positive and negative. I will adjust all the colors so that red is no longer used for a positive, and the difference is more visual than it is.

And thanks for the review. I read each one (and each post), and attempt to learn from them. I didn't realize the colors might be confusing until this discussion.

Reactions: TheDevian

oh45

Jul 1, 2017
Glad to have helped. And, I do still look forward to what's coming along here in future updates.

Anyway... following up, I'm looking at the code here and I see
Python:
if moralGain == True:
    play sound "audio/ding.mp3"
    show moralUp at notifyFade
    $ moralGain = False
if moralLoss == True:
    play sound "audio/buzzer.mp3"
    show moralDown at notifyFade
    $ moralLoss = False
You intend to have the moralUp text be Morality Decreased, and moralDown be Morality Increased? If so, it seems like something's swapped, even if it's only the programming/file names.

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
Glad to have helped. And, I do still look forward to what's coming along here in future updates.

Anyway... following up, I'm looking at the code here and I see
Python:
if moralGain == True:
    play sound "audio/ding.mp3"
    show moralUp at notifyFade
    $ moralGain = False
if moralLoss == True:
    play sound "audio/buzzer.mp3"
    show moralDown at notifyFade
    $ moralLoss = False
You intend to have the moralUp text be Morality Decreased, and moralDown be Morality Increased? If so, it seems like something's swapped, even if it's only the programming/file names.
Yes, that was intentional. All stats are tracked with an increasing number to keep the code consistent, and to reduce my chances of making mistakes. (Plus an idea that uses some math, and another statistic that I may or may not use in the future.)

But at the same time I need people to understand what is happening, so I put his morality went down. Maybe I could have put that his immorality increased, but it seemed that a decrease in morality was a better way of stating it.

oh45

Jul 1, 2017
But at the same time I need people to understand what is happening, so I put his morality went down. Maybe I could have put that his immorality increased, but it seemed that a decrease in morality was a better way of stating it.
Having the booleans be named immoralGain/immoralLoss and the files immoralUp/immoralDown would have made your mindset clearer to me. When I review a game here, besides playing through and making notes, for the Ren'Py ones I also check the code to try to understand the developer's intent and direction.

Regardless, from a purely GUI viewpoint (with the code as a black box) having each "buzz" text be in red and each "ding" text be in green is a win.

Last edited:

Tyrranus

May 4, 2017
amusing, perhaps a little too on the nose at capturing the original show's 'feel' but since we're corrupting everyone that might still work out..
Mary ann is a dead ringer and the others are surprisingly close... ginger feels a bit more off than the others tho

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
amusing, perhaps a little too on the nose at capturing the original show's 'feel' but since we're corrupting everyone that might still work out..
Mary ann is a dead ringer and the others are surprisingly close... ginger feels a bit more off than the others tho
My intent was to capture the feel of the show, while still making fun of it. Turning it on it's head. I did a deep dive into the show attempting to get things right.

The characters have been tweaked, with the most work being on Ginger. After the first release I redid all the images just because of the big change in Ginger. I have been reluctant to go back and correct images since then... ala George Lucas. But it is getting harder and harder to tweak them. I have spent a day or two adjusting a character to end up tossing all that work because the changes made the character look less like what they looked like on the show. A small mistake can ruin a character. Making a character look great in a profile can ruin it straight on, and vice versa.

I may end up still tweaking the characters, but I know there has to be a point where I say, "It's good enough, just make the Visual Novel." Trying to perfect their faces has been one of my biggest time killers.

foghat

Oct 29, 2022
I too was a big Mary Ann fan, and probably spent a little too much time in fantasy. Don't know if Chaste is considering this, but I always visualized MA as having fantastic tan lines (consistent with the tan lines then...not the dental floss tan lines of today) and a nicely trimmed black bush!
Continued success, CD!

Mr.Blackwell

Dec 27, 2019
So far It's a waste of download,it's all talk and one nude scene.Does the dev like cocks cause that the only nudity.I'm deleting it now.

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
So far It's a waste of download,it's all talk and one nude scene.Does the dev like cocks cause that the only nudity.I'm deleting it now.
If all you want are nudie pix, why are you downloading Visual Novels?

Have you seen the Rule 34 websites? No story, just pix.

Last edited:
  • Haha

alukcoR

Feb 23, 2017
Personally I like the slow build. Some games can be a little over the top with that but this has a ways to go before it reaches that point. I'd love to see the shows tradition of random guest appearances be used to bring in a celeb or two from the era. Don't rush to finish the game when you can use this troupe to stretch it out a bit. Maybe Joanie from Happy Days, Morticia from the Addams family, Jeanie, Batgirl, Lily Munster... There's a lot of options for quick fun while the story developes.

3.50 star(s) 4 Votes