VN Ren'Py Secret of the Island [v0.02.07.01] [Chaste Degenerate]

3.50 star(s) 4 Votes

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
The images were noticeably blurred in this update, particularly the darker scenes. It might be a good idea to raise the quality setting on your webp encoder. Might also want to show the stat increases on a per-character basis, rather than one by one. That bell was going off left and right when I asked for some more pie!

I like where this is going so far; can't wait to see more.
Do you have a 4K monitor? I'm asking because I'm working with 1080P right now, and while I can see it, it's not exactly prominent to me. Although my monitor settings could be off, plus they might be getting a little old.

Anyway if it's noticeable to you, it might be noticeable to others, so I will up the settings.

hngg

Compress All The Things!
Modder
Donor
Compressor
May 26, 2019
Do you have a 4K monitor? I'm asking because I'm working with 1080P right now, and while I can see it, it's not exactly prominent to me. Although my monitor settings could be off, plus they might be getting a little old.

Anyway if it's noticeable to you, it might be noticeable to others, so I will up the settings.
Yes, I have a 4k wide gamut monitor. A blessing and a curse. :) A curse because now everything is so clear I can see all of the flaws in content. Like how the black screens in the game are actually just very dark red, which I bet few people would notice without a calibrated monitor.
If I didn't need the screen real estate for work I wouldn't have spent so much money on it but boy does it look good when things are just right.

Last edited:

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
Yes, I have a 4k wide gamut monitor. A blessing and a curse. :) A curse because now everything is so clear I can see all of the flaws in content. Like how the black screens in the game are actually just very dark red, which I bet few people would notice without a calibrated monitor.
If I didn't need the screen real estate for work I wouldn't have spent so much money on it but boy does it look good when things are just right.
The black screen is now black, at least in the next update.

Unfortunately it isn't in my budget to upgrade my monitors. I already went overboard when replaced my computer last year, and part of the reason was because it wasn't that much more than buying a scalped video card at the time.

But I am now in the process of redoing the webp images again at a higher quality. Not too hard, just time consuming.

But unfortunately I did find a few images that weren't blending into the background like they should. Not sure how I missed them, but it makes a previous comment about it looking "tacky" makes more sense. So I am cleaning those up at the same time.

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
Bad news, I will not make my goal for the next update.

Unfortunately life happens, and my progress has slowed down dramatically.

If anyone wants more detail, my SubscribeStar, Patreon, and Itch.io accounts have longer posts, the most recent published on June 18th. The quick story is life hit me hard, and I am dealing with burnout.

But to be clear I have not stopped progress, it is just moving at a snails pace right now, and already improving, but very slowly, as I work through things, and get my head on straight again.

hngg

Compress All The Things!
Modder
Donor
Compressor
May 26, 2019
Bad news, I will not make my goal for the next update.

Unfortunately life happens, and my progress has slowed down dramatically.

If anyone wants more detail, my SubscribeStar, Patreon, and Itch.io accounts have longer posts, the most recent published on June 18th. The quick story is life hit me hard, and I am dealing with burnout.

But to be clear I have not stopped progress, it is just moving at a snails pace right now, and already improving, but very slowly, as I work through things, and get my head on straight again.
As disappointing as it is to see this, it is appreciated that you've taken the time to communicate. Far too many developers fall off the face of the earth when things like this happen.

Burnout sucks but it is possible to get past it. I've found placing smaller, short term goals can help build morale and keep momentum up. I hope you all the best; perhaps a break without the pressure to hit a deadline will do you some good.

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
As disappointing as it is to see this, it is appreciated that you've taken the time to communicate. Far too many developers fall off the face of the earth when things like this happen.

Burnout sucks but it is possible to get past it. I've found placing smaller, short term goals can help build morale and keep momentum up. I hope you all the best; perhaps a break without the pressure to hit a deadline will do you some good.
I've said before that the only reason that this visual novel (VN) won't be finished is that I have died. Although I guess it would be the same result if I end up with a debilitating disease that makes me unable to function or move than that would also be a reason.

Am I positive or what?

I haven't worked on my VN for about a week now. But not by choice. Life is just happening right now and I have to deal with it.

I have increased my hours at work twice now. (In an effort to help out, and for the extra pay.) Other then that I really don't want to bog people down with everything going on. Just right now there are a combination of good and bad events going on, and I am having to scramble to get everything in order, and fix dozens of little fires (metaphor) that keep popping up.

In the short run it's a bitch, but in the long run things should be fairly good.

Eventually things will settle down, and I will be getting back on track. Soon working on the VN will be a break from everything for me.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: HogRocket

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
I've said before that the only reason that this visual novel (VN) won't be finished is that I have died. Although I guess it would be the same result if I end up with a debilitating disease that makes me unable to function or move than that would also be a reason.

Am I positive or what?

I haven't worked on my VN for about a week now. But not by choice. Life is just happening right now and I have to deal with it.

I have increased my hours at work twice now. (In an effort to help out, and for the extra pay.) Other then that I really don't want to bog people down with everything going on. Just right now there are a combination of good and bad events going on, and I am having to scramble to get everything in order, and fix dozens of little fires (metaphor) that keep popping up.

In the short run it's a bitch, but in the long run things should be fairly good.

Eventually things will settle down, and I will be getting back on track. Soon working on the VN will be a break from everything for me.
Hmmm, I think if you suddenly turned super-hacker and hacked into all the major banking systems of the world and bled them dry, got caught and was sentenced to never touch a computer again.....that might bring it to a halt also.

Hollywood from the 80s and 90s has convinced me that's a fairly common occurrence.

Just sayin'

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
Hmmm, I think if you suddenly turned super-hacker and hacked into all the major banking systems of the world and bled them dry, got caught and was sentenced to never touch a computer again.....that might bring it to a halt also.

Hollywood from the 80s and 90s has convinced me that's a fairly common occurrence.

Just sayin'
Samy kamkar. Banned from the internet for life. (But was lifted 3 years later for good behavior... or behaviour.)

• Thinking Face
Reactions: HogRocket

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
Any news?
Sorry, things have been crazy. Multiple life changes including a new job, and moving. (The move from hell.) This combined with some burnout. But I am slowly getting back on track. But things are still settling down. (There's a lot I'm not mentioning, but people just want to know about the game, not my life.)

I do a bi-monthly update that I post on SubscribeStar, Patreon, and Itch.io. Unfortunately the most recent ones have been bitching and whining about everything going on.

TeslaCoil

Feb 1, 2021
The truth is, Ann and Ginger are the two best qualities any normal male would find attractive in a single woman. One is a responsible understanding woman, and the other is the charming playful woman. Both feminine in their own way, both attractive. Roll them into one, and you have what men would call the perfect woman. And so the choice between the two will come down to preference, but ultimately having experienced the two at the same time, you would be left thinking of the other once a choice has been made.

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
Any news? I am wishing this Developer lots of luck. I think it's a good original idea.
Just posted my bi-monthly update. on Patreon, SubscribeStar and Itch.io.

Life is smoothing out, but time is limited.

I was hoping to have a tiny update in November, but I am not sure I can make it. So hopefully November, but if not I believe December.

Then everyone can wonder why such a tiny update took so long.

Reactions: LordOgre

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
Finally, after a year of hell, I have updated my Visual Novel for supporters.

Public release should be the 7th of January.

It's a very short update. I won't go into detail since you can read all the whining I did on Subscribestar, Patreon, and Itch.io

If anyone has supported me in the last year and want the updates now, send me a message, and I will send you the links.

3.50 star(s) 4 Votes