Ren'Py Abandoned Secrets of the Valley [v0.0.3 Early Access] [LUSTFER]

LUSTFER

Game Developer
Dec 1, 2020
How tired of these endless versions of games 0.1 .. Most die in the bud and only the game tape is polluted ..
Hello my dear,

Have you played the new version? Do you realize how much progress has been made in just 10 days?
It is not possible that with such a rich story being created the only comment you can make is this.

Oh, if not, check my Patreon and Itch.io for new version (0.0.2) download links and changelog.

Anyway, thank you very much for your point of view.

Gleemer

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2018

Here is the Italian translation
of Secrets of the Valley [v0.0.2 Early Access]

This translation is "unofficial, it was created by a fan.

Ecco la traduzione italiana
di un fan Secrets of the Valley [v0.0.2 Early Access]

Questa traduzione "non è ufficiale" è stata generata da un fan.

Here is the Italian translation
of Secrets of The Valley [v0.0.1]

This translation is "unofficial, it was created by a fan.

Ecco la traduzione italiana
di un fan Secrets of The Valley [v0.0.1]

Questa traduzione "non è ufficiale" è stata generata da un fan.

new update,
soon integrated into the release

• Red Heart
Reactions: LUSTFER

CamaroFan432

Mar 13, 2020
Looks pretty blown, if you play it. Judging by what I found and the file size, there is close to nothing to do. Looks more like a VN than a game. Not a big fan of the sandbox paired with managment/simulation part with money, energy, hunger and mood. Definitly needs a hint system. Or at least some indicators. Maybe I check in half a year back. Not worth at the moment IMO. Good luck dev.

Paul Newmon

Apr 27, 2021
(MacOS) I was unable to save anything in Ep 1--attempting just kicked me out and forced a quit. I tried to use the SAVE button, and the 2-finger click save. Now, I am having difficulty loading the latest release. I tried ALL 4 and none worked..ANONFILE didn't even have the file to load...MEGA and Pixeldrain. and GoFIle...= .0 KB loaded--stopped...

LUSTFER

Game Developer
Dec 1, 2020
Terrible sandbox and nothing to do.
Been clicking/skipping for half an hour or so and haven't seen anything exciting yet.
Not worth the effort and deleted.
That's fine. It's not your style of game.

We are going in the direction of a very deep game with several stories, several characters.

The biggest problem is that you may not have read any of it. It is quite clear that the content is restricted yet, it is written here, on Patron, on Itch.io and even on the first screen before you start the game.

And I also see that you have not read anything in-game. In the dialogue with Claire during the introduction, she mentions clearly and underlined that the MC must go to the Marketplace.
Arriving at the Market if you read the conversation with Norma, you will know that you can come back at 7pm to start a meeting.

But that's it, thanks for the comment that didn't add anything. :giggle:

LUSTFER

Game Developer
Dec 1, 2020
Looks pretty blown, if you play it. Judging by what I found and the file size, there is close to nothing to do. Looks more like a VN than a game. Not a big fan of the sandbox paired with managment/simulation part with money, energy, hunger and mood. Definitly needs a hint system. Or at least some indicators. Maybe I check in half a year back. Not worth at the moment IMO. Good luck dev.
Hello!

Don't judge only by the size of the file. I compressed the images before creating the release to make it more accessible. That's all!

This is what we have to present at the moment, but for sure we will have more content soon. I've been working to demonstrate a better quality in the writing that was a very criticized point in the first release.

We are creating a VN with very interesting stories about each character that will be presented. And we have the other mechanics to also leave the player more free, I believe that with a little more time it will start to get very interesting.

The hint system is already being thought out. But this will take some time. As there is little content yet a simple walkthrough should do the trick.

Thanks for your comment! :D

LUSTFER

Game Developer
Dec 1, 2020
So yeah this game needs a walktrough asap or at least a hint system on what to do next

So far i got a intro with all the girls in that home

Plus a date with that market lady with a sex scene at the camp

Is there anything else ? or have i reached the end of the update

If so it was pretty short
Hello Michael,

Yes, that's it. Quite short. Early access to show how things are going to be.

Have you tried v0.0.2 ? Read the dialogs of the new version, pay attention to the images, try to understand the character traits. That is the beauty of a VN.

Thank you for playing.

Reactions: michael1984

LUSTFER

Game Developer
Dec 1, 2020
Some hints or walkthrough would be nice. No clue what to do
Okay, I see that this is being requested quite a bit.
In the next few hours I will update the game download files and include a .pdf with some hints and a walkthrough.

For now:

" Claire will mention that you can go to the market to get some food.
There you talk to the fourth girl. You make a date and after 19:00 you manage to meet her at the market and your date with her begins!
That's it, you can still explore the city map a bit. Just to get to know some of the many places you might explore in the near future. "

Make sure you try to play now in version v0.0.2. !

Thank you for playing and taking an interest in understanding more about the game. :giggle:

Hyperserver

often the biggest step forward is to "step back"
Donor
Jun 30, 2018
i join the club "need hints".
Yes, i got all the content without any problems as i've read the conversation(s).
Nonetheless i ran around, clicking everything i could, just to realize after several minutes that there's nothing more to do right now.
If you play VN, you get to the end of the story and then you know "ok - save here and wait for the next update".
But if you play sandbox and you don't get any notice whether you reached the end or if you forgot something somewhere, that sucks.
Just make a list of all possible scenes (best if this would be ingame), and mark them as "seen" once you have done - and all is fine.
If there are scenes which will need some other scenes to be done before, just mark them as "locked".
The player needs to know if there's something left to explore or not (imho)

I stongly suggest to watch/play other successful sandbox games and get some idea how it should be done.

Asides from that advice, i really enjoyed the game, the characters and the setup so far - curious for future updates though

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: The Raven King

Hyperserver

Donor
Jun 30, 2018
Oh - maybe one more thing (critics on very high level though):
If you leave a room in free roam, there's no need to put a screen "where do i go now?" and force the player to click this screen away to be able to enter the next place.
Just skip that "info" - leave a place and be able to enter the next one immediately - too much clicking gets annoying after some time.
(No offence though)

LUSTFER

Game Developer
Dec 1, 2020
(MacOS) I was unable to save anything in Ep 1--attempting just kicked me out and forced a quit. I tried to use the SAVE button, and the 2-finger click save. Now, I am having difficulty loading the latest release. I tried ALL 4 and none worked..ANONFILE didn't even have the file to load...MEGA and Pixeldrain. and GoFIle...= .0 KB loaded--stopped...
Hello my friend,

Sorry for the problems you are finding. I really have no way to test on MAC but Renpy should have compiled the game working perfectly like the PC versions.

** The links informed in the topic here on the forum are not provided by me, but by the game compressor profile.

I invite you to download directly by any of the links informed on my Patreon or Itch.io, and after give me a feedback!

Thank you for informing this issues.

LUSTFER

Game Developer
Dec 1, 2020
i join the club "need hints".
Yes, i got all the content without any problems as i've read the conversation(s).
Nonetheless i ran around, clicking everything i could, just to realize after several minutes that there's nothing more to do right now.
If you play VN, you get to the end of the story and then you know "ok - save here and wait for the next update".
But if you play sandbox and you don't get any notice whether you reached the end or if you forgot something somewhere, that sucks.
Just make a list of all possible scenes (best if this would be ingame), and mark them as "seen" once you have done - and all is fine.
If there are scenes which will need some other scenes to be done before, just mark them as "locked".
The player needs to know if there's something left to explore or not (imho)

I stongly suggest to watch/play other successful sandbox games and get some idea how it should be done.

Asides from that advice, i really enjoyed the game, the characters and the setup so far - curious for future updates though

Hello!

Criticism like yours is totally welcome, that's what we are here for! The way you are exposing it, after actually playing and paying attention is what I expect. :giggle:

I am really very grateful for your words. And I will take them into consideration. You can be sure of that.

For now I'm just starting out, it's a lot of work to be done. But I am putting a lot of energy into this because I see that many see potential and this gives me strength to continue.

I've actually been learning since 2018, I've already started a project that I never took to the public because I thought I wasn't at a decent level yet. That would not be fair to those who decided to support me financially.

Now I felt confident, I invested my own money in a processor the graphics card I never imagined I would have. So, I will take the project forward with love, counting on the patience and help of everyone who can give constructive feedback like you did.

Thank you so much! :D

Hyperserver

Donor
Jun 30, 2018
Hello!

Criticism like yours is totally welcome, that's what we are here for! The way you are exposing it, after actually playing and paying attention is what I expect. :giggle:

I am really very grateful for your words. And I will take them into consideration. You can be sure of that.

For now I'm just starting out, it's a lot of work to be done. But I am putting a lot of energy into this because I see that many see potential and this gives me strength to continue.

I've actually been learning since 2018, I've already started a project that I never took to the public because I thought I wasn't at a decent level yet. That would not be fair to those who decided to support me financially.

Now I felt confident, I invested my own money in a processor the graphics card I never imagined I would have. So, I will take the project forward with love, counting on the patience and help of everyone who can give constructive feedback like you did.

Thank you so much! :D
you are more than welcome - i am one of those who don't like people raging and critisizing everything and not being able to tell what, and even more important HOW, exaxtly they would change things.
Also it's a HUGE difference between "i don't like it" - and "that is crap" !!!
The first is a personal view of things, the second an insult - sadly a noticeable amount of players over here don't know that difference *sigh (or they don't want to know just for the sake of trolling and insulting).

Just keep going on forward, enjoy and realize YOUR vision. Maybe pay attention to those who "complain" for the sake of help, and ignore those, who just complain because they want to complain. You will never please all, but you need to please YOURSELF!
If you are proud of what you've done, then it's enough - No need to please all others - that's a good advice i can give.

Last edited:

CamaroFan432

Mar 13, 2020
Hello!

Don't judge only by the size of the file. I compressed the images before creating the release to make it more accessible. That's all!

This is what we have to present at the moment, but for sure we will have more content soon. I've been working to demonstrate a better quality in the writing that was a very criticized point in the first release.

We are creating a VN with very interesting stories about each character that will be presented. And we have the other mechanics to also leave the player more free, I believe that with a little more time it will start to get very interesting.

The hint system is already being thought out. But this will take some time. As there is little content yet a simple walkthrough should do the trick.

Thanks for your comment! :D
Yeah, I noticed, that's it compressed. That's definitly a thing I appriciate. Thank you for that. And to relativize my point of "looks blown and judging by file size", do play quite a few games from this side. If you do, you get quite a feeling how much to expect, if you look at file sizes. E.g. if a first release would have a size of 1GB, it's either a ton of content, or more likely a few renders in 4K and no compresson at all. I didn't want to say, that the file size is a bad thing, I didn't want to offend. The blown part was more meant on the sandbox part of the city. And beside the shop, you can't deny, there is no content. This was also not meant to be a offensive, just as a info for those, who would wonder how much content there is for the 0.0.2.

Reactions: The Raven King

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
Well, I played up to the date with Norma and the English seems to be fine for the most part. There are still some inconsistencies like the MC saying "Serious?" when it should be "Seriously?". In that same scene the nametag is also incorrect. The dad says goodbye to himself.

When it comes to the dialogues themselves it's like everyone has to think about what they are saying or needs to emphasize key words. It happens in every conversation, you see italics, bolds and ... no matter what they are talking about. I think that could be dialed down some so the people speak in complete sentences more.

For the UI the little messages you constantly see while walking around get old fast. The "No one is home" and "where do I go now?" is seen repeatedly and for no reason. The market is particularly bad in that regard. It may be a good idea to only show them once when they are relevant. The player doesn't need to be reminded that Claire said there is food at the market. I mean, of course there is.

I personally think the transitions take too long. They are set to a 1 second transition time. It may not seem like a lot but when you have to wait 1 second every time the picture changes in the conversation it makes the whole thig seem sluggish. I would lower the times or better yet just use "with Dissolve" without the extra times to call in the images. Also you may want to change the color of the text in the choice box. There aren't many yet but the box and text are almost the same color.

From what little you see of the characters they seem fine. There is not a whole lot to see of them yet but they at least look like humans. Their proportions are correct and everything. I see people complaining about piercings and whatnot, it your call, but constantly changing character designs just to please people is never a good idea. On that same point, if you insist on doing this by Patreon votes you need to be carful. Pandering to whoever barks the loudest at the time usually just leads to a clusterfuck of a game. It's your game, not theirs.

Reactions: Hyperserver

Hyperserver

Donor
Jun 30, 2018
Well, I played up to the date with Norma and the English seems to be fine for the most part. There are still some inconsistencies like the MC saying "Serious?" when it should be "Seriously?". In that same scene the nametag is also incorrect. The dad says goodbye to himself.

When it comes to the dialogues themselves it's like everyone has to think about what they are saying or needs to emphasize key words. It happens in every conversation, you see italics, bolds and ... no matter what they are talking about. I think that could be dialed down some so the people speak in complete sentences more.

For the UI the little messages you constantly see while walking around get old fast. The "No one is home" and "where do I go now?" is seen repeatedly and for no reason. The market is particularly bad in that regard. It may be a good idea to only show them once when they are relevant. The player doesn't need to be reminded that Claire said there is food at the market. I mean, of course there is.

I personally think the transitions take too long. They are set to a 1 second transition time. It may not seem like a lot but when you have to wait 1 second every time the picture changes in the conversation it makes the whole thig seem sluggish. I would lower the times or better yet just use "with Dissolve" without the extra times to call in the images. Also you may want to change the color of the text in the choice box. There aren't many yet but the box and text are almost the same color.

From what little you see of the characters they seem fine. There is not a whole lot to see of them yet but they at least look like humans. Their proportions are correct and everything. I see people complaining about piercings and whatnot, it your call, but constantly changing character designs just to please people is never a good idea. On that same point, if you insist on doing this by Patreon votes you need to be carful. Pandering to whoever barks the loudest at the time usually just leads to a clusterfuck of a game. It's your game, not theirs.
100% (y)

• Hey there
Reactions: LUSTFER and Skeltom