RPGM Onhold Seven Clans of City [v0.1] [DarkRainbow]

Which game engine would you like to see this game on?

• Total voters

VarieneMedia

Game Developer
Oct 11, 2020
The problem is the engine itself, it feels slow and bugged on my laptop. While I have no problems with renpy or online games. I also like the features of renpy. Rpgm feels like an old relict to me. You can achieve the same with renpy, open world is not a prerogative of rpgm.
The two of them have different experiences, and you can be sure that I will solve the bugs as much as I can. Besides, I don't know if there's a problem between RPGM and your computer. :D

Great thing about VN's are the choices...but if this is a straight story then no choices.... BOOO!

so if we dont like a character, tough shit. you'll have to sleep with her anyways.

i'll probably still try the game later though. hopefully the story is good at least.
I think the story content will be good because I've thought about it a lot. As for choices, I don't want to spread the story any more than the main focus, because I'm new to all of this, and creating multiple paths reduces total play time and increases workload. Maybe I can do something for characters who aren't liked by the community, like less interaction.

I have no intention of using the open world to expand the game, I am doing the open world to give the user an environment where they can navigate. SCOC will go from piece to piece. eg. Chapter One: House of Deusra, Chapter 2:******
I'll add a HELP system when things get complicated in later versions.

Nightless

Jan 13, 2018
Will wait a few updates models in the screen not that interesting and yeah rpgm, it is true it has a few gems but those are really, really rare. Most of the time it is as said you spend most of the time traveling for nothing.

Prokopije

Stupidity Exterminator
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
This is my first game, so I want to focus on the content, it will be a straight story, but you will have access to character scenes with tasks that you will do in the open world. In the game, you will be able to replay scenes and experience those scenes with the characters over and over again by opening the special content of the character with hidden scenes that you will find.
Hm, just to clarify, those tasks, will they be optional? Will we be able to progress through main story without them? I want to play where MC have sex with just one of available girls and to ignore other girls.
Possible or not in your game?

VarieneMedia

Game Developer
Oct 11, 2020
Hm, just to clarify, those tasks, will they be optional? Will we be able to progress through main story without them? I want to play where MC have sex with just one of available girls and to ignore other girls.
Possible or not in your game?
First of all, I don't know if I can explain this correctly because English is not my native language but I will do my best. (I'm working on) I planned the episodes as "main story> side quest> main story> side quest> ... episode finale". So after the main story progresses, we will have a side story with the characters and you will need to see some scenes as the side quests will be linked to the main story.

ClaireNv

Sep 15, 2016
This is my first game, so I want to focus on the content, it will be a straight story, but you will have access to character scenes with tasks that you will do in the open world. In the game, you will be able to replay scenes and experience those scenes with the characters over and over again by opening the special content of the character with hidden scenes that you will find.

For a moment I thought I should go back to Ren'py. :p but with the content I'm planning right now, I think I'm going to make a game that everyone can love. Thank you for your good wishes!
RPGM is fine, Treasure of Nadia by NLT-Media is the perfect example though it does have a team working on it behind rather than <5 people or solo guy. The most important are nice render with good looking female character anyway.
Better stick to what you confidently comfortable and aligned with the plan compared to try going fancy using Unity or whatever and failed miserably in three early release like other "certain" game and then wasting months going back to porting everthing to renpy/rpgm.

ClaireNv

Sep 15, 2016
Render looks nice, and not a complete generic daz head model too. MC looks decent-goodish, it is on watched then. Good luck for future release

Reactions: VarieneMedia

VarieneMedia

Game Developer
Oct 11, 2020
RPGM is fine, Treasure of Nadia by NLT-Media is the perfect example though it does have a team working on it behind rather than <5 people or solo guy. The most important are nice render with good looking female character anyway.
Better stick to what you confidently comfortable and aligned with the plan compared to try going fancy using Unity or whatever and failed miserably in three early release like other "certain" game and then wasting months going back to porting everthing to renpy/rpgm.
It's ok for me to work with Ren'py or RPGM, but I wouldn't want to use an engine that is causing you problems. I think I need to go through the comments a little bit and make my decision.
(Before developing, I was translating English/Turkish ren'py games and at that time I worked on python/ren'py library.)

Damn had the perfect chance to call your game "Seven Clans of the Hot City? or SCOTCH for short.
Wow! this idea is perfect!! but my story is a bit about the mafia and clans... : (So I want to keep the story and content proportional, but I really liked the idea :D )

Reactions: Carlosdan

Mondoblasto

Nov 13, 2017
why is it bad to have an rpgm? I'll be able to produce more content in terms of open world and missions. :p
For me, it's unlimited saves, rollback, and being able to extract the art. I know that seems like a small thing, but as long as one keeps their saves efficient, the player can jump back to any scene they want and see it again. We can't just assume a dev is going to add a gallery/replay function to their game.

VarieneMedia

Game Developer
Oct 11, 2020
Damn had the perfect chance to call your game "Seven Clans of the Hot City? or SCOTCH for short.
A gallery system will be available in the game the only downside is that if you pass texts fast, you can't go back like in ren'py.

Lilraya

Jul 28, 2018
For me, it's unlimited saves, rollback, and being able to extract the art. I know that seems like a small thing, but as long as one keeps their saves efficient, the player can jump back to any scene they want and see it again. We can't just assume a dev is going to add a gallery/replay function to their game.
I've had experience working with renpy and rpgmv while studying and all what you've mentioned depends on experience and knowledge of engine. Unlimited saves are easy to make in rpgmv and renpy but both never come with unlimited saves by default (RPGMV has like 20slots, renpy has 9 pages of 6 if I'm not wrong). Rollback in renpy games usually bring errors and reloading save is usually preffered, especially if you try to create not a visual novel game, while you can reload save in rpgmv too, and if you have to there are some plugins which allow to make rollback even in rpgmv easily. Extracting art isn't as important to me but can be done in both engines: For renpy games you usually use some kind extractor aplications (for example unRen which you can find somewhere in these forums) while RPGMV has online web browser tools that allow you to do the same ( ). At the same time in both engines most of the time devs add galeries, very few games that I played don't have them. The only difference there is that in RPGM games you usually have to play through the game to unlock it (or at least complete part of the game) while in renpy games you access them from main menu but both ways can be done in both engines. There are also few caveats in regards of save compatibility, screen size, volume, pace of the game, hardware resource requirements and so on but these usually depend on how much dev is knowledgable with the engines.

Over all I personally am interested in the game no matter if it's renpy or rpgm, looking forward to this project and if it's gonna a good game I wouldn't care about the engine as much as some people seem to care here. From my own experience as dev I found renpy easier to use only if I wanted to make a visual novel and mainly used default tools to do it, but for everything else writing plugins and my own mechanics was much easier in RPGMV using JS even if I never was good at polishing and making game fun with my custom mechanics (Most of my projects I made were like 15-30min games with odd at the times mechanics that I did for my friends or university assignments)... But in the end not the engine decides if game is good or bad, it just makes it easier or harder to make a game which can be solved by experience making them.

gotmy223

Jun 4, 2017
The two of them have different experiences, and you can be sure that I will solve the bugs as much as I can. Besides, I don't know if there's a problem between RPGM and your computer. :D

I think the story content will be good because I've thought about it a lot. As for choices, I don't want to spread the story any more than the main focus, because I'm new to all of this, and creating multiple paths reduces total play time and increases workload. Maybe I can do something for characters who aren't liked by the community, like less interaction.

I have no intention of using the open world to expand the game, I am doing the open world to give the user an environment where they can navigate. SCOC will go from piece to piece. eg. Chapter One: House of Deusra, Chapter 2:******
I'll add a HELP system when things get complicated in later versions.

I suggest that you stick to your vision of what the game should look and play like (at least early on). So if you feel that the game experience will be better in RPGM, then go with RPGM. I'm saying this in response to you already putting up a poll asking about the game engine. Yes, feedback is good, but not at the detriment of what you want the game to look like.

VarieneMedia

Game Developer
Oct 11, 2020
I've had experience working with renpy and rpgmv while studying and all what you've mentioned depends on experience and knowledge of engine. Unlimited saves are easy to make in rpgmv and renpy but both never come with unlimited saves by default (RPGMV has like 20slots, renpy has 9 pages of 6 if I'm not wrong). Rollback in renpy games usually bring errors and reloading save is usually preffered, especially if you try to create not a visual novel game, while you can reload save in rpgmv too, and if you have to there are some plugins which allow to make rollback even in rpgmv easily. Extracting art isn't as important to me but can be done in both engines: For renpy games you usually use some kind extractor aplications (for example unRen which you can find somewhere in these forums) while RPGMV has online web browser tools that allow you to do the same ( ). At the same time in both engines most of the time devs add galeries, very few games that I played don't have them. The only difference there is that in RPGM games you usually have to play through the game to unlock it (or at least complete part of the game) while in renpy games you access them from main menu but both ways can be done in both engines. There are also few caveats in regards of save compatibility, screen size, volume, pace of the game, hardware resource requirements and so on but these usually depend on how much dev is knowledgable with the engines.

Over all I personally am interested in the game no matter if it's renpy or rpgm, looking forward to this project and if it's gonna a good game I wouldn't care about the engine as much as some people seem to care here. From my own experience as dev I found renpy easier to use only if I wanted to make a visual novel and mainly used default tools to do it, but for everything else writing plugins and my own mechanics was much easier in RPGMV using JS even if I never was good at polishing and making game fun with my custom mechanics (Most of my projects I made were like 15-30min games with odd at the times mechanics that I did for my friends or university assignments)... But in the end not the engine decides if game is good or bad, it just makes it easier or harder to make a game which can be solved by experience making them.
I agree with what you say I have experienced what you tell me and it is true. Whether it's RPGM or Ren'py, the story and open world I want to do is the same, the only problem is that users have bugs that will cause problems or prevent them from playing. The comments on the RPGM therefore confused me a bit. I want to make the right decisions at the beginning of the road, so feedback is important to me. Open world Ren'py has imagemap or area click, but RPGM has walking effects, the only difference is that for me. Doesn't matter JS or Python, as long as I love my job, no problem. And also thank you very much for your comment. :)

I suggest that you stick to your vision of what the game should look and play like (at least early on). So if you feel that the game experience will be better in RPGM, then go with RPGM. I'm saying this in response to you already putting up a poll asking about the game engine. Yes, feedback is good, but not at the detriment of what you want the game to look like.
As I mentioned above, it doesn't matter to me because I have experience with both engines. In Ren'py, some system tricks are required for the open world, and I have some understanding of them. While the course or content of the game will not change, there will only be clickable photos in Ren'py, you will be able to do them by walking in the RPGM. However, what you said is true if the content of the game had to change, I would do as you said, as I said I'm new to this business, your comments help me to create better content.:)

The Ponderer

Jul 9, 2017
This.

a well made RPGM game can be good for exploration type gameplay, don't listen to these naysayers. I dislike the fact that Forest Rhapsody Dev cave in, now it's on hold and the game would've been so much better in RPGM.

dreas

Feb 8, 2018
As others have said just stick to what you want for the game engine and content and make the game you want the best can. Its good to take constructive feed back but just listening to every comment of I like X stick that in or I hate Y take that out isn't gonna help you develop your game. Not every game is gonna be for everyone and that's fine because if you tying to appeal to everyone in the end you risk appealing to no one.

Also i understand english isn't your first language but the name sounds kinda weird to me as a native english speaker. Personally i would suggest either 'City of Seven Clans' or 'Seven Clans City' its just that atleast in english you wouldn't put 'of city'

Reactions: The Ponderer

gotmy223

Jun 4, 2017
Also i understand english isn't your first language but the name sounds kinda weird to me as a native english speaker. Personally i would suggest either 'City of Seven Clans' or 'Seven Clans City' its just that atleast in english you wouldn't put 'of city'
My brain automatically read it as "Seven Clans of the City."

Had you not pointed out the actual title, I would have never noticed. :ROFLMAO:

michael1984

Engaged Member
Dec 9, 2017
Well not much at all in the game so far

Just a very small intro to the main character and his past

Will have to wait and see if the game will become good or bad

Needs alot more content first to be making a fair judgement on this game