HTML Abandoned Sistersitting / Housesitting [Day 11 Scene 01] [i107760]

4.50 star(s) 31 Votes

ciderapple

May 29, 2017
I've been unhappy about this scene ever since it was written, pretty much, just never took the time to go back and fix it. Talking about the scene again now, and getting some criticism on it made me put more thought in it, and come up with a general idea of how it could be improved.

Well, you're right, but now that I've decided to rewrite it I won't stop :D I've written a lot of new content already now, just the editing/retouching needs to be done before releasing it, and I've basically plotted out the next few updates.
Another conversation with the woman is coming up, and in order to write this new one well, I feel like I should rewrite the old one to fit my ideas first—this is sort of a continuation of it, after all, and the previous conversation will be referenced at points, too.

I plan to restrict my rewriting of things for the near future to the rest of the second day, and this conversation with the woman. Later on, I'll probably continue rewriting some of the other days, if I feel something isn't right there.
Don't let people badger you into changing your original vision. I thought it was just fine the way it was.

i107760

Sistersitting / Housesitting Developer
Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
Don't let people badger you into changing your original vision. I thought it was just fine the way it was.
I'm not being badgered into it, I've never been happy with it—this is a quote from when it was first released: "Most of the time spent on this update was dedicated to the conversation with the landlady, which admittedly is still far from perfect, but for now, it's the best thing I could come up with."

Not sure how much I'll change it in the end, that will really depend on me liking the new version or not... Still, I think my current idea in my head will be better, so I'm gonna give it a try.

Reactions: ciderapple

Settum

Jan 10, 2019
Also i'm guessing you have not visited many other countries. There are some places in the world where everyone is just normally shorter than they are in other places. (and I personally think your height 'requirements' do not count for 3 figs - because you are not the author of the game. If you don't like it, you can make your own game)
I hope you understand what criticism is. Is someone not allowed to express an opinion or criticize someone else if they aren't in the same line of business?!
As you've noticed, since you replied and edited the post to the relevant section; I gave an example and then conceded that if the height was intentional, well, she's tiny while never stating people of said stature don't exist. If she was just normally small and won't grow up anymore, that'd be one thing, but the story heavily revolves (at least early on) about her future in sports. One, I might add, has predominantly above average height participants and predominantly tall winners. Since the author left that customizable, I guess it means there won't be such a big deal, though if it was (that she's tiny), I'd rather like seeing a scene of others, especially friends and coaches, trying to talk her out of it since it'd be even more difficult to achieve her goals... or at least express admiration for not letting that get her down.

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
Hey guys, no need to fight, the height in the non-patched game has her at "five-and-a-half foot tall", which is just a bit above average for a 18yo girl. As for the patched version... I can't comment too much on that (due to not being the author of the patch), but I'm sure he's reading this and will adjust things if it's needed, and it will all make sense in the end.

But as you said, it's customizable and it really doesn't impact the story very much. So feel free to adjust it (within reasonable limits, of course, don't make her like 7 feet tall ^^).

Last edited:
Reactions: ciderapple

ciderapple

May 29, 2017
I hope you understand what criticism is. Is someone not allowed to express an opinion or criticize someone else if they aren't in the same line of business?!
As you've noticed, since you replied and edited the post to the relevant section; I gave an example and then conceded that if the height was intentional, well, she's tiny while never stating people of said stature don't exist. If she was just normally small and won't grow up anymore, that'd be one thing, but the story heavily revolves (at least early on) about her future in sports. One, I might add, has predominantly above average height participants and predominantly tall winners. Since the author left that customizable, I guess it means there won't be such a big deal, though if it was (that she's tiny), I'd rather like seeing a scene of others, especially friends and coaches, trying to talk her out of it since it'd be even more difficult to achieve her goals... or at least express admiration for not letting that get her down.
i have several very short people in my family, and i tend to get a bit defensive when people complain about someone being too short, in games. There is nothing wrong with short people, there is nothing wrong with liking short people. Short people do exist, they have families, fall in love, play sports, etc. It is a perfectly normal thing.

(and as far as i'm concerned, anyone who doesn't like that can go jump into a pit full of spikes. I'll happily throw stones in after) *complaining about someone being too tiny.. grumble grumble - goes to find some stones

One of the things I really loved about this was that she WAS short.

Last edited:

Settum

Jan 10, 2019
i have several very short people in my family, and i tend to get a bit defensive when people complain about someone being too short, in games. There is nothing wrong with short people, there is nothing wrong with liking short people. Short people do exist, they have families, fall in love, play sports, etc. It is a perfectly normal thing.
That's totally fine, but as you've probably noticed from my reply and the original, I didn't comment about one of such height not being able to do anything, rather, the stigma associated with it should have been addressed. As the author wrote, the unpatched game's standard is 5'6'' which is actually also the average for the sport she wants to compete in.
To be fair, people do have opinions and likes or dislikes, even when it comes to height. I don't really have a problem with it myself, but I do tend to dislike games where the teenage MC is half the size of the women, and even then it's mostly because those authors tend to make the women giant rather than the MC actually short, and the story or plot never addressed the discrepancy in a satisfying manner. So, again, wasn't intended to be a blank statement originally, more of an observation and comparison.

ciderapple

May 29, 2017
That's totally fine, but as you've probably noticed from my reply and the original, I didn't comment about one of such height not being able to do anything, rather, the stigma associated with it should have been addressed. As the author wrote, the unpatched game's standard is 5'6'' which is actually also the average for the sport she wants to compete in.
To be fair, people do have opinions and likes or dislikes, even when it comes to height. I don't really have a problem with it myself, but I do tend to dislike games where the teenage MC is half the size of the women, and even then it's mostly because those authors tend to make the women giant rather than the MC actually short, and the story or plot never addressed the discrepancy in a satisfying manner. So, again, wasn't intended to be a blank statement originally, more of an observation and comparison.
There is no stigma, the stigma is in your silly head. My mom was barely 5 feet tall, my older brothers wife is well under 5 feet tall, and she's in her 50's! short people are all over the place, and are entirely normal in society. There is Nothing wrong with short people. Sure they may have problems reaching the top shelf in the store. and they may put their car seats all the way forward. But that is OK. it is NOT a stigma.

Settum

Jan 10, 2019
There is no stigma, the stigma is in your silly head.
Why are you so strongly defensive then? The stigma is unfortunately social, it's a fact. People of average and shorter than average height, get picked on for that attribute more often than taller people. To be honest, I can count on one hand the number of times someone was derided for being too tall. Have regrettably heard plenty of insults towards short people. Even in popular media.

ciderapple

May 29, 2017
Why are you so strongly defensive then? The stigma is unfortunately social, it's a fact. People of average and shorter than average height, get picked on for that attribute more often than taller people. To be honest, I can count on one hand the number of times someone was derided for being too tall. Have regrettably heard plenty of insults towards short people. Even in popular media.
I explained it in my previous post. read the edit.

and there is a big difference between people joking around about height, and people saying there is a 'stigma'. Jokes (even ones in poor taste) do not constitute a societal stigma, they are two very different things. Short people are all over in society and operate perfectly fine, and even make jokes about themselves sometimes. Part of being a human requires you to have a sense of humor, even about yourself sometimes.

ciderapple

May 29, 2017
And do people outside of the average wish they were more average? Yes. They do, I can speak from personal experience here, the world is not built for people outside the average. if you are either too tall, or too short, you can't drive some cars, or even fit in them. And clothes can be a royal pain, and don't even try to go on roller coasters... Although short people do get to wear all the cool fun stuff, like the shoes with lights and roller skates built-in for example, and all the fun super-hero shirts for kids. But it can be quite difficult finding adult oriented outfits if you are very short, and the same is true for tall people as well.

But that does not mean there is any sort of 'stigma'. That's just companies building for the average. But I still maintain that there is NOTHING wrong with being outside the 'average'. And in fact, some of us find it VERY attractive.

Settum

Jan 10, 2019
and there is a big difference between people joking around about height, and people saying there is a 'stigma'. Jokes (even ones in poor taste) do not constitute a societal stigma, they are two very different things.
Just wanted to post the definition of stigma which is
- negative feelings that people have about particular circumstances or characteristics that somebody may have
While I was under the assumption deride has an insulting connotation to the joke part.
I have since noticed that other dictionaries (I mainly use oxford) have different, far stronger, definition of the term (stigma) and as such I might have come too strongly.
I'll state it myself too... yes, there's advantages and disadvantages in height, short or tall. Commercially, average and slightly above is best, simply due to how industry and advertisement works. I can't begin to tell you the nightmare in finding the right shoe size or the extra cost of clothes or food.
But I still maintain that there is NOTHING wrong with being outside the 'average'. And in fact, some of us find it VERY attractive.
I completely agree with this. Though I still notice an observable bias against shorter people in society and media. Perhaps stigma might have been too strong of a term, as stated above, though.

Settum

Jan 10, 2019
Hey guys, no need to fight.
For my part, I am not. But a sound and civil, although long, argument between two people about something vaguely relevant to the game, might, if nothing else, bump the thread page count enough to help more people check it out next time it's updated?!

• Haha
Reactions: i107760

ciderapple

May 29, 2017
For my part, I am not. But a sound and civil, although long, argument between two people about something vaguely relevant to the game, might, if nothing else, bump the thread page count enough to help more people check it out next time it's updated?!
Oh i'll fight, not afraid to stand up for what I believe in. - especially when someone makes a bad suggestion and gets the dev to make a change to take out something that was in a game that I really enjoyed.
never-give-up-frog.jpg

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
if nothing else, bump the thread page count enough to help more people check it out next time it's updated?!
Maybe :D But, at same time, I rather not have two people who like my game get into an argument.

Oh i'll fight, not afraid to stand up for what I believe in. - especially when someone makes a bad suggestion and gets the dev to make a change to take out something that was in a game that I really enjoyed.
Nothing is being taken out, and you can make the girl exactly as tall as you want, it has little relevance on how the game plays out. The benefit of a text-only game is that you can make the character's in your mind's image, and have them be exactly the way you want them to be. That's also the main reason I offer the customization, to make everyone as happy as possible.

ciderapple

May 29, 2017
Maybe :D But, at same time, I rather not have two people who like my game get into an argument.

Nothing is being taken out, and you can make the girl exactly as tall as you want, it has little relevance on how the game plays out. The benefit of a text-only game is that you can make the character's in your mind's image, and have them be exactly the way you want them to be. That's also the main reason I offer the customization, to make everyone as happy as possible.
It will change the description of various parts of the body when not exactly talking about height. For example, when hugging, where will the girls arm's be during the hug? will they be around the waist? or the shoulders of other characters>? and that's just one example. it makes a lot of little changes throughout the story to properly convey height.

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
It will change the description of various parts of the body when not exactly talking about height. For example, when hugging, where will the girls arm's be during the hug? will they be around the waist? or the shoulders of other characters>? and that's just one example. it makes a lot of little changes throughout the story to properly convey height.
Yes, but, due to being a text-only game, I intentionally don't go too in depth on the exact logistics of such things, to allow players to let their own imagination paint the picture.
In general, the MC is quite a bit taller than the girl, and the customization can of course not be too extreme—but you definitely have the ability to play customize a little, without losing immersion, allowing for everyone to get as close as possible to what they'd like to see.

ciderapple

May 29, 2017
Yes, but, due to being a text-only game, I intentionally don't go too in depth on the exact logistics of such things, to allow players to let their own imagination paint the picture.
In general, the MC is quite a bit taller than the girl, and the customization can of course not be too extreme—but you definitely have the ability to play customize a little, without losing immersion, allowing for everyone to get as close as possible to what they'd like to see.
well i hope it works out as you say. But there are lots of little things that help paint a picture, for example, sitting in a chair, will the characters legs reach the floor? or will they be swinging back and forth playfully? (it's hard to swing your legs if they scrape the floor when you sit, and when I sit in a big chair, I like to swing my legs!! It's just plain fun sometimes.) There are lots of little descriptors which help paint the picture for the reader which will get lost with such a change. That's what i'm worried about.

Last edited:
Reactions: i107760

Settum

Jan 10, 2019
Hey, I didn't say I disliked it!!
As for the later posts... even when going to descriptions, you can solve it easily by simply tying the MC's height to the not-sister, so they can't ever be too far apart.

ciderapple

May 29, 2017
Hey, I didn't say I disliked it!!
As for the later posts... even when going to descriptions, you can solve it easily by simply tying the MC's height to the not-sister, so they can't ever be too far apart.
after going through and re-reading, I did run into places where I might have misinterpreted your messaging. Also, modern dictionaries are constantly being changed these days, I personally prefer old dictionaries in print, where they came out at least 15 years or so ago. Because the modern ones are changing definitions too much to fit my taste. Sadly, we can't rely on internet dictionaries as much anymore.

To me a 'stigma' is a strongly negative association. Of course i don't have a dictionary at hand to check, so perhaps it is my definition which has been altered over time.

Reactions: Settum
4.50 star(s) 31 Votes