Fan Art Something Unlimited - Sprite Re-Mix and Fanart Thread

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

ShadowWarrior

Aug 3, 2017
So it turns out that when I extracted all of the game assets a while back in an attempt to look into copy-pasting stuff into RenPy (which didn't pan out), I also extracted the font assets.

Here's a preview of the various fonts in said font folder:

View attachment 2201304

I typed things in upper and lowercase as the font name showed in Photoshop, assigning the font to the relevant text. So where the fonts show caps only, that's the relevant font talking.

Unmasked has a few variations, but you get the idea.

I zipped up said font folder, see attached file.
If you guys are doing a Ren'Py, I would have a few suggestions...at least towards Harley2. I'd figured Lex would be a bit more snarky to her. Regular Harley's airheaded, but Harley2 is a bit of a dipshit who's been soaking in plot armor.

xMendoza

Jan 2, 2018
OK, first off, thanks for trying to take a stab at this!

Do you have any interest in trying to recreate the 'look and feel' of the SU dialogue style? It looks to me like you are just using the 'Default' Ren'Py style with some minor tweaks. That's not a bad thing, lots of people do it, but it's an option here.

Secondly, tweaking Ren'Py interfaces is kind of my thing. Others may do it better, but I've done it a few times now - FmF, plus I tweaked the interfaces in Babysitter and Brothel King a bit, and probably a couple of other places. The tweaks I made to A New Beginning by JJsworld were more background related though, as he was rendering most of his pics at a more 'square' size than the default Ren'Py size, so I felt that it needed borders...

Mainly, I'm thinking about the menu design, dialogue box, save screen. Also, side images could be an option maybe, but that wouldn't 'match' SU's style as the SU dialogue boxes don't have side images.

I'm not looking for a long term thing project here, but this is something I could bang out pretty quickly depending on if it interests you. A 'one and done' kind of thing. In fact...

View attachment 2200931

I still need to do some fine tuning on the spacing on the game menu screen, like I did here with the main menu, but this'll give you an idea.

My stab at the load/save screen looks like this:

And I was playing around with the dialogue box art here, but I'm not quite happy with it yet...

I can 'square up' the dialogue box pretty easily, I was just taking a quick stab at a 'hand drawn comic book' style here, to see how it might look. There are a number of other examples on the interwebs I'm sure (looking at some options in Google now...)

This is all pretty much screens.rpy tweaks, so if you are game, I could finish tweaking what I have, and hand off the screens.rpy file and associated artwork to you, since you are doing the heavy lifting by trying to recreate the sprite alignments inside of Ren'Py, which is a time consuming projects and I have enough slightly annoyed fans already that are waiting for FmF part two...

The save screen box style I would probably simplify, I was trying something different here to see if I could...

Here are some examples of where I tweaked the dialogue and menus in FmF. I didn't like having the in-game menu choice in the middle of the screen, so I moved it to the bottom...

You'll note that the dialogue box changes in size here based on the amount of text in it. My philosophy in FmF was to clear as much screen space as possible so that people could admire more of the images used ingame. Sure, there's the 'h' key that can hide the dialogue box, but when you are zipping through the story... I also added a button here to hide the dialogue (the eye in the lower right) for those that wanted to do that with a mouse or maybe a touch screen.

Anyways, my point here is that the 'backbone' of Ren'Py is something that I'm rather familiar with, and is something that can drop in seamlessly into whatever you've already done (pretty much just changing out the screens.rpy file and adding new art to the gui folder)

That is if you are interested! This would allow you to keep doing what you are doing, and it's something I could pump out very quickly. I'm guessing you are doing this 'for free' and I'm not looking for monetary compensation, I just want your interface to look pretty...

If you have some of your own ideas, we can discuss this back and forth to get the 'look' that you want when it's all said and done.

So, are you interested?

Edit: If you want to see how the SU text and name box would look in Ren'Py, here's a screenshot.

View attachment 2201136

This is a simple thing of course, attached are the textbox and namebox files should you with to drop those into your /gui folder. The main reason to do this would be to recreate how the textbox looks in SU of course, and in fact it's ALMOST the same art. I simply cropped the namebox into it's own graphic (in the SU sprite folder it's combined).

You may need to adjust the alignment of the namebox of course (and maybe set an xmaximum width on the text box so that it doesn't extend across the bottom of the screen), but you get the idea here!

I'm also using a more 'comic sans' kind of font for the text of course. SU uses a more 'cartooney' font as well, although with just uppercase text.

---

Edit 2: Here's my stab at using the SU 'ingame' font and lining up the namebox in a manner similar to what's seen ingame, while allowing for variable height based on the number of lines of text.

View attachment 2201416
Yep for now i tried to add the basic elements , i will try to improve the menu,dialog,etc :)

Reactions: Erasedc39

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Yep for now i tried to add the basic elements , i will try to improve the menu,dialog,etc :)
just offering my services with the UI stuff, since this is ground I've covered before a few times. As I said, this is mainly screens.rpy stuff as you know, so it can plug in easily to what you have going on. If you don't mind a tiny bit of help r.e. trying to invoke the 'look and feel' of SU so that you can focus on the hard part, that is translating the story over, feel free to PM me so that we can discuss!

xMendoza

Jan 2, 2018
just offering my services with the UI stuff, since this is ground I've covered before a few times. As I said, this is mainly screens.rpy stuff as you know, so it can plug in easily to what you have going on. If you don't mind a tiny bit of help r.e. trying to invoke the 'look and feel' of SU so that you can focus on the hard part, that is translating the story over, feel free to PM me so that we can discuss!
Thx for that i will need all the help i can get to be honest :)

ok now here is the demo
Mac

PC

I will need help with the dialogs , I 'm not a native English speaker so it will take to much time for me to search for every mistake, pls help me with this

Update: which character should we finish first?

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017

ok now here is the demo
Mac

PC

I will need help with the dialogs , I 'm not a native English speaker so it will take to much time for me to search for every mistake, pls help me with this
Ran through the demo. You are off to a good start!

I have some other stuff to do today, then I'll see about tweaking your screens.rpy and sending it your way so that you can take my suggestions for a test drive!

BTW, I also already took a stab at the choice buttons thing as well...

SU_ChoiceScreenWIP.jpg

As I said before, I know that it's a major pain to try to port over the sprites and recreate the associated animations in Ren'Py, so total respect for taking a stab at it!
:D

Or to put it another way, we the people say YAY!

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
please guys make the android version
I know some people that can help with that ( xMendoza 's Ren'Py port), so if they don't just do their thing, I can reach out to them when the time comes. xMendoza 's demo is just getting started (essentially just a few scenes so far) so it'd probably be best to get things a little further along before summoning the Android folk. xMendoza may have a handle on that already as well.

At some point the Ren'Py port should peel off to it's own thread, but for now discussing it here is fine IMHO. Plus, if you are a fanart type and if xMendoza is interested in incoporating other people's fanart into the story, it might not be a bad idea for the various fanart types around here to let him know if it's OK to use some of their fanart in the port! Probably by PM, or here, whichever works best for you!

I'm just here to cheer this project on mainly, and maybe offer a tiny bit of help if I can.
:cool:

Aug 9, 2017
Update: which character should we finish first?
I think if you're thinking of making full routes for specific characters, you could try using a few Asset/Sprite remixes to create brand new scenes.
Maybe try releasing updates with themes? So one batch of content themed around the Amazons, Wonder Girls/ Wonder Woman or another update focused around the Teen Titans or Young Justice teams? That way you could have chunks of content with scenes focused around more than one character, have more threesome/orgy/harem content.

xMendoza

Jan 2, 2018
I think if you're thinking of making full routes for specific characters, you could try using a few Asset/Sprite remixes to create brand new scenes.
Maybe try releasing updates with themes? So one batch of content themed around the Amazons, Wonder Girls/ Wonder Woman or another update focused around the Teen Titans or Young Justice teams? That way you could have chunks of content with scenes focused around more than one character, have more threesome/orgy/harem content.
Honesty this project is more a Rebuilt not necesari a new brand game. Why because I don't try to steal SU and say I made this. Of course maybe we will add some new think to make the game better but I want this project to actually help Sunset . After all this is a rebuilt not an mod :)

monkmonk

Jul 20, 2018

I can help with the dialogue. I have a lot of copy editing experience. And I really appreciate how closely sunsetrider writes his dialogue to each character's personality, so I'll try to maintain each character's personality while conforming to your story needs.

Reactions: xMendoza

xMendoza

Jan 2, 2018
I can help with the dialogue. I have a lot of copy editing experience. And I really appreciate how closely sunsetrider writes his dialogue to each character's personality, so I'll try to maintain each character's personality while conforming to your story needs.
Thx well if you have time to check the demo an see what you think will need to be changed and what not.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I'm in the middle of editing script.rpy of the demo which I'll hand off to xMendoza soon, but there are a few typos. If you have dual monitors, you could open up the demo on one screen and SU on the other screen and then compare the dialogue. That's what I'll be doing just before I hand off my suggestions to xMendoza.

Dunno what your setup is, and I'll be doing that shortly, but my goal here is to help set up the Ren'Py framework to more closely match the SU ingame 'look' and then move on to my other projects, so going forward I'm sure that xMendoza could use help with the grammar, etc.!

monkmonk

Jul 20, 2018
Thx well if you have time to check the demo an see what you think will need to be changed and what not.
Attached is a doc with examples of what I'd do with the text. There's spelling and grammar fixes as well as changes for personality and dialogue cadence.

monkmonk

Jul 20, 2018
I'm in the middle of editing script.rpy of the demo which I'll hand off to xMendoza soon, but there are a few typos. If you have dual monitors, you could open up the demo on one screen and SU on the other screen and then compare the dialogue. That's what I'll be doing just before I hand off my suggestions to xMendoza.

Dunno what your setup is, and I'll be doing that shortly, but my goal here is to help set up the Ren'Py framework to more closely match the SU ingame 'look' and then move on to my other projects, so going forward I'm sure that xMendoza could use help with the grammar, etc.!
I'm solely a grammar, punctuation, etc. person. I'll fix all of the typos and then some.

xMendoza

Jan 2, 2018
Attached is a doc with examples of what I'd do with the text. There's spelling and grammar fixes as well as changes for personality and dialogue cadence.
Thx so much for your help. I will fix everything in the next update 2-4 days

monkmonk

Jul 20, 2018
Thx so much for your help. I will fix everything in the next update 2-4 days
There is still plenty of text to fix. As you move forward, if you provide me with a script, I can do a complete edit. Also, if you give me the kind of plot needed for a section, I can write dialogue as well.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes