Gunsmoke Games

Something Unlimited
Game Developer
Sep 5, 2018
First off thanks to all those who responded and liked our previous posts you helped clear the feed up for us. We're going to take an alternative approach for further Wednesdays. Answering questions, for now. However if we need to clean up the thread some more, we will go back to the old posts of highlighting their absolutely intellecutally superior suggestions. My fav was the leap year argument btw.

dude, you know that you can play the game for free, right?
And basically, you can pay at most $1, right?
And you're still saying "low effort"? I don't understand ?
Not just the game, but there has been tons of amazing work that has spawned from what we create, that is also free. Look at the fan art sections that have been around for 5+ years now.

no no no, this isnt game development. You reuse assets where it applies, you don't half ass the work, slap it on and call it done, and then not even manage to make the game work. Game Development reuses assets where needed with the right adjustments to fit. His reuse of assets is just obvious copy and paste
I don't know if you're trolling or have a legitimate concern, so I will assume you're not trolling. But to clarify every art asset that is reused was hand drawn by SR7, and not a store asset like many other games use on this site (especially 3D, and SFM). So if you're requesting every art asset to be hand drawn, I think you are getting what you want. As well I don't know how it's lazy hand drawing every asset in this game, that doesn't seem lazy. I feel you would complain even if we did it your way, but I could be wrong.

Only the devs.
And at this stage they themselves probably aren't sure, given the work and debugging involved. It is supposed to be happening, but then a lot of things were supposed to have happened with this game over the years.

If they truly have got a full working Ren'Py version up and running (fingers crossed) then it's actually less likely - more things to go wrong. Long term, rebuilding the game in a new engine will lead to simpler, less buggy updates, but the first version is likely to be a mess. Fact of life with software development, wouldn't blame the devs for that.
Jimwalrus, you do know that we have had a functional Ren'py rebuild since June correct? It had all the cells complete on release, and took 1.5 years of full time development to create (just a heads up for the rebuild guys). Like you can go and download and play it, in fact we surpassed well over 100k downloads on it so far (just on itch). Upon release it had zero game breaking bugs, and several minor visual bugs that were fixed. As well we made a significant update in November that added 3 events to the Ren'py version. So I don't know where you get proof it will be a mess. Or if you're intentionally trying to mislead people. But your banner says your a fan, and I would expect you to have this knowledge already, since it's 7 months old at this point.

Anybody got any idea on their newest announcement?
Yup ;)

Scary how good your artwork is! Big fan!
Hey thanks! It's always nice to share this stuff with SR7.

Ok that wraps up this Wednesday, if you're someone who actually got this far then thanks. As well feel free to DM us on here as we will regularly come for the fan art section. Lastly some link spam below.

JackHammer

May 30, 2017
Just asking, because I haven't tried it...
Does the android version have everything? I played a version before that didn't have the bordello, and it was missing a bunch of scenes. Is it up to date with the current PC build? If not, what is it missing?

Reactions: Gunsmoke Games

Gunsmoke Games

Something Unlimited
Game Developer
Sep 5, 2018
Just asking, because I haven't tried it...
Does the android version have everything? I played a version before that didn't have the bordello, and it was missing a bunch of scenes. Is it up to date with the current PC build? If not, what is it missing?
It still doesn't have the Bordello content. As well the Android version will mostly be behind for this year. However with stand alone events being created then it's more than likely to catch up much faster. Next Android update isn't pencilled in yet, but late Q1, or Q2-3 more than likely. We usually release in the minor months (March, May, July).

Reactions: JackHammer

armion82

Devoted Member
Mar 28, 2017
Again we have done a FULL Ren'py release that has over 100k downloads currently, and no bugs on release. It currently has all the cells, Prison, Kasnia Wedding, Yacth events. We have been working with Ren'py for 1.5 years, and even you say its trival to build out for PC*.

This SU:Themyscira is a singular event brought to Ren'py. Again it's misleading to tell people there will be a mess, and we never have done this when just 1.5 months ago we delivered 3 FULL events in Ren'py with zero bugs.

SmokeShank
Co-Founder & Co-Owner
Gunsmoke Games

*For those wondering we build out in Android first in order to get all old content into that project, we then seperate the content and make adjustments for PC. It's really quick when you're only dealing with a SINGULAR event and not doing that for the entire project.

** For those who will ask and question why we haven't built out SU on ren'py. The answer is because we have a PC version already, and the additional time needed to adjust the entire SU rebuild for PC (or vice versa) would be another giant time sink. We decided to get the product out in 1.5 years and not risk sinking more time into it.
So what that means?
No Ren'Py for PC?Like never?No Themyscira for PC?
Also about the events.
Of course it's more easy towork on a single event.
Especially when almost every event is not completed.

Jimwalrus

Sep 15, 2021
It still doesn't have the Bordello content. As well the Android version will mostly be behind for this year. However with stand alone events being created then it's more than likely to catch up much faster. Next Android update isn't pencilled in yet, but late Q1, or Q2-3 more than likely. We usually release in the minor months (March, May, July).
So it's not full then is it? The Bordello content is, along with Gotham and Themyscira, missing.
Bellend.

Again, I WAS TRYING TO BE NICE. Trying to manage expectations on your behalf as you seem to be incapable of coming across as anything other than a passive-aggressive moron. I was trying to make it clear to other fans on here that, although a complete PC Ren'Py version may take a while yet and may have bugs, it will be worth it in the long run and the bugs are to be expected, even with a competent dev like Henshinvolt. But your total lack of social skills and your inability to comprehend discussions outside of a fawning echo-chamber are well known.

Oh, and co-founders / co-owners get forced out of companies all the time if they prove to be a liability. Or if the other owner(s) decide that they're not pulling their weight. Hope you've got a good contract on that co-ownership...

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Again we have done a FULL Ren'py release that has over 100k downloads currently, and no bugs on release. It currently has all the cells, Prison, Kasnia Wedding, Yacth events. We have been working with Ren'py for 1.5 years, and even you say its trival to build out for PC*.

This SU:Themyscira is a singular event brought to Ren'py. Again it's misleading to tell people there will be a mess, and we never have done this when just 1.5 months ago we delivered 3 FULL events in Ren'py with zero bugs.

SmokeShank
Co-Founder & Co-Owner
Gunsmoke Games

*For those wondering we build out in Android first in order to get all old content into that project, we then seperate the content and make adjustments for PC. It's really quick when you're only dealing with a SINGULAR event and not doing that for the entire project.

** For those who will ask and question why we haven't built out SU on ren'py. The answer is because we have a PC version already, and the additional time needed to adjust the entire SU rebuild for PC (or vice versa) would be another giant time sink. We decided to get the product out in 1.5 years and not risk sinking more time into it.
Just noting that you have a Ren'Py ANDROID release, not a Ren'Py PC Release of the same build last time I checked. An official Ren'Py PC release is what a lot of people are interested in as:

1) Ren'Py doesn't put saves in the registry (usually)
2) Weird bugs keep popping up with the SU Unity version. See this very thread for bug reports!
3) Dynamically re-scalable window (click and drag a corner/edge), no black screen error if you pick the wrong resolution settings (I had this very issue with SU Unity).

I did try an unofficial Ren'Py PC port of the official Ren'Py Android port once. And apparently this happened at some point?

Dunno where this screenshot came from, hopefully not from the Android version, and I would assume that this was fixed months ago, but if I saw his, I wouldn't call this bug free...

But back on topic:

I, along with others, are on record noting that we think that SR7 would ultimately benefit from a stable PC RenPy port of the official 'full SU Unity' game, as there are a number of Fungus related errors that keep popping up for some people. That and Unity bloats the size of SU Unity unnecessarily by having duplicates of images, etc, doubling/tripling the size of the extracted version.

In short, a Ren'py version would be leaner and meaner, and it would be a lot easier to track down and kill bugs, as Ren'Py flat out tells you when there's a bug, and most of the time it will tell you exactly what and where that error is.

Fungus is holding SU Unity back at this point IMHO, and SR7 would be a much happier man if he wasn't troubleshooting bugs all the time. That's one opinion anyways...

Whomever is working on your Ren'Py Android version has done a lot of groundwork already, it wouldn't be hard to ditch Unity entirely at this point, with just a bit of elbow grease/time investment... This would make a lot of people very happy...

The less time that SR7 needs to spend on debugging, the more time he has to create new art, and a happier a man he will be...

I'm NOT referring to SU ReImagined btw, that's a different animal, we are trying new things (some cool ideas are being explored though)... xMendoza 's SU Rebuilt (2) is much closer to the original design if such things interest you...

Food for thought!
;)

Last edited:

Gunsmoke Games

Something Unlimited
Game Developer
Sep 5, 2018
Just noting that you have a Ren'Py ANDROID release, not a Ren'Py PC Release of the same build last time I checked. An official Ren'Py PC release is what a lot of people are interested in as:

1) Ren'Py doesn't put saves in the registry (usually)
2) Weird bugs keep popping up with the SU Unity version. See this very thread for bug reports!
3) Dynamically re-scalable window (click and drag a corner/edge), no black screen error if you pick the wrong resolution settings (I had this very issue with SU Unity).

I did try an unofficial Ren'Py PC port of the official Ren'Py Android port once. And apparently this happened at some point?

Dunno where this screenshot came from, hopefully not from the Android version, and I would assume that this was fixed months ago, but if I saw his, I wouldn't call this bug free...

But back on topic:

I, along with others, are on record noting that we think that SR7 would ultimately benefit from a stable PC RenPy port of the official 'full SU Unity' game, as there are a number of Fungus related errors that keep popping up for some people. That and Unity bloats the size of SU Unity unnecessarily by having duplicates of images, etc, doubling/tripling the size of the extracted version.

In short, a Ren'py version would be leaner and meaner, and it would be a lot easier to track down and kill bugs, as Ren'Py flat out tells you when there's a bug, and most of the time it will tell you exactly what and where that error is.

Fungus is holding SU Unity back at this point IMHO, and SR7 would be a much happier man if he wasn't troubleshooting bugs all the time. That's one opinion anyways...

Whomever is working on your Ren'Py Android version has done a lot of groundwork already, it wouldn't be hard to ditch Unity entirely at this point, with just a bit of elbow grease/time investment... This would make a lot of people very happy...

The less time that SR7 needs to spend on debugging, the more time he has to create new art, and a happier a man he will be...

I'm NOT referring to SU ReImagined btw, that's a different animal, we are trying new things (some cool ideas are being explored though)... xMendoza 's SU Rebuilt (2) is much closer to the original design if such things interest you...

Food for thought!
;)
I will do my best to answer you Owee, however some of the answers you probably will disagree with or not like. As well you know building a Ren'py game for Android vs PC isn't much different. They both use the same images, and mostly the same code. So please don't act as if both are entirlely different entities.

1) Yes we know where Ren'py saves the files. Yes we understand that Unity's default save is stored in the registry. In fact we paid a programmer 3 years ago to explore altering fungus. Unfortunately what he found was not compatible with what we needed.
2) We have a bug channel on our discord that SR7 specifically looks to. Yes we know, of the issues with Unity. This is why we're moving towards Ren'py
3) I have never seen this request before but I will bring it forward for the Themysicra stand alone.

We have address everything else you are saying on official channels. In fact those statements have been shared here multiple times. But I will say them again.

Yes we know Fungus is obsolete, we have known for 3+ years. However cell content and metabordello content is all in Fungus. That is 3 years updates right there.

On transitioning to a full Ren'py PC version. Outside this forum there has been little to no mention of it. So coming from a stand point of who's suggestions are more valuable, we will take that from supporters. I hope you can understand the logic there. On the transitioning, there is a mountain of issues, and you are well aware the extent of content SU has. It took 1.5 years full time to just get the cells in. In order to do what you're requesting we still wouldn't have an android build out.

Now the problem is with Fungus, and the solution is Ren'py. So we decided to make all new content into stand alone games. Starting with the event of Themyscira. Instead of pouring 1000's of more hours into a PC rebuild, we are moving in the same direction with smaller more managable projects. Hope you can see the efficiency savings in this route.

We're doing this to save time on debugging (we mentioned this in Oct btw), and in order to help the device limitation issues SU:Android is facing. Plus SR7 is currently just doing art for this Feburary update (Unity is low priority) so again all your issues you presented are solved.

Lastly you ported the Android version made for phones to PC and your blaming the issues of the port on the Android version? In 100k+downloads we haven't had this issues. Seems to be your port.

Last edited:
Reactions: Exocrine

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Gunsmoke Games

As I said, I wasn't sure where that screenshot came from, but it was posted around the time that SU Ren'py Android was first released, and as I said I'm assuming that it was fixed months ago. I didn't have anything to do with the conversion.

I didn't mention the Unity shenannigans with them wanting to start charging more for developers to use Unity. As i remember they walked this back a bit, but I remember SR7 mentioning that Unity's ownership had changed and that could lead to such problems. So I'm glad to see that you guys are working towards ditching Unity.

And yes, the standalones being in Ren'Py is a positive sign, I wish you the best with that!

IMHO, I don't think that SR7 should waste much more effort trying to keep SU Unity afloat. As you mentioned, it will take time to transcribe content, but you have to start somewhere. This is a perfect job for someone else to do, as the sprites are already made, and it's certainly possible to 'convert' the associated image assembly calls to Ren'Py. In fact, I was working with layeredimage code for Audrey courtesy of another coder's efforts today! Using the existing (extracted) SU Unity body part sprites natively in Ren'Py as is...

This is in the SU ReImagined environment (mostly the same as SU Unity with some differences), and both Lex and Audrey are 'assembled' here using layeredimage, but my point is that while it takes time, most of the info needed to port this stuff over to Ren'Py is already available/extractable, if people want to put in the effort.

Of course, paying another person to transcribe content over to Ren'Py is a call you make, as to whether it's cost effective or not... so I totally get the 'business decision/best way to spend resources' angle.

SR7 would obviously want to oversee any such efforts, and finding the right person to work with can be a challenge. My point is that transcription is easier than creating new content, and something that someone other than SR7 should do, SR7 should just 'check the work' to ensure it's being done right, occasionally.

We want SR7 to focus on new art obviously!

Those are my thoughts. I'm just having fun trying new things in the meantime, I'm sure there are some awesome Ren'Py coders out there for such things!

Last edited:

Ray Charles

Aug 9, 2019
I tried this game a few years ago and moved on fast because of the grind. Has this been changed for the better or did it double down?
Nope it still grindy unless you cheat. But that's honestly the whole point of the game and for the most part the grinding ain't that bad... but then again I cheat like there's no tomorrow so I don't really have a say. But I will tell you that its a good game but honestly feels like its missing a lot of things.

4.00 star(s) 156 Votes